Honda City 142 28.01%
Volkswagen Virtus 145 28.60%
Skoda Slavia 105 20.71%
Maruti Ciaz 17 3.35%
Other (please specify in your post) 1 0.20%
Voters: 507. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2023, 16:07   #46

Re: Hyundai Verna vs Honda City vs Volkswagen Virtus vs Skoda Slavia vs Maruti Ciaz

City.

It just works for everything. Doesn't excite you as much as a turbo petrol would. But it won't surprise you with broken gearboxes and lazy ACs either. The clutch feel on the city is unmatched by any car I've ever driven. It has that smooth consistency from top to bottom. Like cutting a cake. The handbrake goes up with a smooth krrr. The brakes go down with a smooth psshhh...

I was hyped to drive the Germans. The steering wheels are precise and consistent, The suspension is confident while also being comfortable. Addictive turbo (even the 1.0). Pretty good brakes. They were even showing an MID indicated 14kmpl. Unlike the city which was going as low as 12 kmpl during my drive. But they're not enough to sacrifice my peace of mind. VWs and Skodas, while cheap, are rich people cars. For people who don't mind if their car gives up for a week and snatches a lakh from their pockets. I would buy a Slavia 1.5 MT if I had infinite money. But I don't and so I won't.

I don't know about Verna. Didn't get to drive it yet. So, no opinions on that.

Ciaz is Old.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 14th April 2023 at 16:22. Reason: spacing for improved readability
Aluminium is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th April 2023, 16:28   #47
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Verna vs Honda City vs Volkswagen Virtus vs Skoda Slavia vs Maruti Ciaz

My vote is split between the Verna (SX Turbo DCT) and Slavia (Ambition 1.5 DSG). City is out of consideration due to it's weaker engine and CVT gearbox. If the Virtus had a lower trim with the 1.5, it would be considered, but as it stands, the Virtus is out of budget for my family.
Old 14th April 2023, 17:13   #48
BHPian

Voted for slavia.
I would dispute (most) members' contention that the Ciaz doesn't belong here. Sure it appears barebones & with a 50% lesser powered engine & an ancient gearbox. However it is also priced about 30% lower than the most expensive competitor & gets all the basics right - Space, boot space, smooth engine with a great mileage & decent creature comforts. Most important of all - the Suzuki logo on the bonnet.
There's a reason why it sells as much as the Slavia & Virtus combined.
Old 14th April 2023, 17:52   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted for Ciaz.

Back in 2019, when I was shopping for a new car - Ciaz was in the shortlist among a bunch of other crossovers. In 2023, Ciaz remains in my shortlist to replace the other aging workhorse. Reason remains same - it's comfortable, spacious, has a nice ride and a neutral drive and is very VFM. Being a Maruti, it is easy to service/maintain(most important factor for my father!) and gives good FE.

Back in 2019, the top end Alpha cost 12L only. Even today, the mid variant is a shade over 11L.

So if I am looking for a sedan, I will still get a Ciaz. Else I will look at a different segment.
Old 14th April 2023, 18:40   #50
BHPian

I wouldn't select any of the cars. If I'm investing over 20 lakhs, I would anticipate it to have a blend of style, comfort, advanced technology, and a powerful engine. Although the Hyundai Verna fulfills my requirements for comfort, loaded with tech, and a powerful engine, it falls short in terms of appearance. On the other hand, the VW Virtus/Skoda Slavia satisfies my taste in terms of looks and comfort, but fails to meet my expectations in the tech department since it lacks ADAS. I would not even consider a Honda due to the concern of Honda leaving India, just like Ford.
Old 14th April 2023, 19:27   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Other than the antique Ciaz, all C2-segment sedans are very strong offerings . The new Verna is funky & all-rounded in nature, the Honda City remains a car you just can't go wrong with and the Virtus / Slavia are a whole lot of fun.

My tastes are now inclined toward European cars, hence I will pick a VW Virtus or Skoda Slavia. For that awesome 1.5L DSG, driving pleasure & 5-star safety.
And here I have the antique Ciaz (Feb 2015 Zxi+ petrol) and I think there could be nothing better than that, for my needs, if not for all my wants. But there's no end to the latter anyway. I am a safe driver, rarely go beyond 80 kmph, even on the highways. And we are a family of 4 tall adults. It drives super smooth. No rattles or unwanted noises. The aircon is powerful, even for the Delhi summers. It is the top model so back in the days in 2015, considering the features on offer in cars those days, it had all the bells and whistles. It cost me only 10.3L on road. And even for the modern day, it is pretty well specced. Low on safety yes, but there's God above for that (what else can I say!). Drive it with a light pedal, and it goes over potholes with ease and comfort, the suspension is tuned for comfort, the ride is not wobbly at those speeds. Four people sit in comfort. The boot is huge, again for all our needs. And, wait for this, service and spares are 'comforting' for the pocket too. Just does its job without any fuss or issues. Those were the days. Our needs were meagre and competition hadn't spoilt us. Or maybe it's just me being satisfied with mediocrity.
Lion hearted is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th April 2023, 19:33   #52
BHPian

Voted for Verna. Even though I have not driven it yet, it has got my pulses excited. Looks, engine gearbox combo, quality interiors, space and neutral on road manners plus Hyundai's fuss free ownership experience. I own a Hyundai Xcent which has aged excellently well over 8 years of ownership. Among the lot Honda City is a proven machine. But low seating plus limited front headroom and difficulty in getting in and out pushes the city to 2nd place in my list. The Slavia and Virtus maybe good cars, but are too risky to get my attention.
Old 14th April 2023, 19:37   #53
BHPian

One of those polls where you have a sly smile reading through. Whatever might be the reason to select others, build, dynamics, engine, features, Honda City seems to rule. So probably its the best package for not only a average city buyer but enthusiasts too. My vote too goes out to City given the sheer practicality of the package. Virtus, Slavia are great but the compelling proposition is the 1.5L+DSG combo and that's where DSG comes in, so might hold my horses there.
When it comes to Hyundai, have just lost trust in the brand with Creta and Seltos barely making it to 3-stars in GNCAP, and nothing much on safety for other models in market. That's some audacity from the brands which are getting the cash from cows without any visible serious thoughts to the critical aspect of safety.
Akhileshmdp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2023, 19:44   #54
BHPian

City it is.

No fuss ownership. Have owned the 5th gen for exactly a year now, no issues, super smooth drive, supremely comfortable for a family, sufficent power and safety for those once a month highway drives and have completed 10000 in a year. It definetly might not have all the razmatazz of a Verna but is definetly a winner when it comes to reliability and super efficient drive trains. If given a choice over the new Verna, I would again pick the City as I absolutely hate that front facia of the Verna. Too much of funk for my liking. I am more in love with the Classy katana blade design of the City.

Regards
Diesel
Dieseltuned is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2023, 20:20   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

In this category, it would be a choice only between two cars - the Virtus and the Slavia, both with a 1.5 DSG. The Honda City has an engine that was good in 2007 but has been hopeless outdated for the last decade, the Ciaz is likely a death trap (like all Marutis) and hopelessly out of date, and until the Verna is crash tested, I will assume that it is yet another death trap like the Seltos and Creta. Between the two siblings, I would pick the Virtus because I prefer the VW dealer near me.
Hayek is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2023, 20:24   #56
BHPian

I voted for the City. If I’m to buy now given these options, eyes closed I’ll buy the City again. There is nothing to beat the reliability of the City. Ciaz will come a close second.

While I like the Volkswagen siblings, especially the Virtus’s styling, the iffy service and niggles concern me.

Regards,
Lsjey
lsjey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2023, 20:39   #57
Senior - BHPian

City.
Naturally aspirated, Petrol, Manual, VTEC, Honda.
'Nuff said.
arjab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2023, 21:41   #58
BHPian

Just for voting purpose… I would have chosen slavia or virtus. But if it comes to buying, a sedan at that, city it would be. There is nothing to reject it. I bought one, drove it for just about a year and sold it( I was moving out of India) for 90%of its on road value! I have no regrets, it drove well, gave no headache, service is flawless and I had fun driving it
Nav-i-gator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2023, 22:14   #59
BHPian

I just realized the breadth of offerings in this segment while casting my vote. On the same note, the ideal choice will depend on what one desires from the car.

Euro build and driving dynamics= VAG twins
Features and "looks"= Verna
Dependable, premium, comfy daily driver= City
On a budget= Ciaz

If I were to buy one today, I'd get a City hybrid.

PS- Yes, it's a true story about the Honda City and repeat customers. We are one loyal bunch.
revsperminute is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2023, 22:40   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Just go through the City niggles thread and see if the quality reputation holds. Look at the sheer amount of rusting and water leakage issues. My own car has huge problems with both. So much for quality.

Honda City is mechanically reliable. But it’s not as if it has a monopoly on reliability. The reputation for quality and reliability was built by the Gen2 and Gen3 model Citys, and that was against the kind of cars we had back then. Esteem, Accent, Aveo, original Verna, Fiesta, Sail, SX4. The competition has improved by leaps and bounds, while the City has pretty much stayed the same or even regressed in a few areas.
I doubt rusting and leaking issues on current 5th gen?
I don't consider City as the epotime of quality and reliability. But as you said they are mechanically reliable. The reliability of that CVT is miles ahead compared to the DSG of a Vitrus or Slavia.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks