Volkswagen Virtus 145 28.60%
Skoda Slavia 105 20.71%
Maruti Ciaz 17 3.35%
Other (please specify in your post) 1 0.20%
Voters: 507. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2024, 08:49   #106
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Verna vs Honda City vs Volkswagen Virtus vs Skoda Slavia vs Maruti Ciaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by NK CA View Post
The booking experience was a charm and here a big shout to Mr Venkat (and his team member Vignesh) at Hyundai Motor Plaza Chennai.
Welcome to THE FORUM!!!

Congratulations on your new ride.

I am in the exact same situation as you were. I am going for a City CVT test drive later today and plan a test drive of Verna IVT next weekend.

Can you please mention which HMP you visited as I would like to stick to the same place.

Thanks.
Old 20th January 2024, 09:36   #107

Re: Hyundai Verna vs Honda City vs Volkswagen Virtus vs Skoda Slavia vs Maruti Ciaz

Dear Rajiv

Thank you for your kind wishes

This is Hyundai Motor Plaza at Thiru – Vi – Ka Industrial Estate, Ekkatuthangal, 54, Grand Southern Trunk Rd, Guindy, Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600032.
NK CA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2024, 18:28   #108
BHPian

Long-term Etios owner here (Etios V, Petrol, 2011) planning my next purchase.

Did a back-to-back TD of the Verna IVT and Slavia DSG couple of weekends ago, followed by TD of the Verna DCT last weekend. Thought this thread would be the right place to share my notes:
  1. Verna IVT was quickly dropped from consideration due to prominent rubber band effect, with laggy, unpredictable and jerky acceleration under even moderately aggressive pedal inputs or overtaking attempts. The IVT does not lack power otherwise, especially for city use. Sedate drivers & chauffeur-driven folks will probably have no complaints. Engine is refined & sounds sweet at high revs.

2. The Slavia DSG is a driver's dream car in its price bracket. Felt instantly at home, weaving in & out of traffic, overtaking and stopping as if I'd been driving it forever. Acceleration is powerful & smooth, in both regular & sports mode. Precise, predictable & confidence inspiring steering and braking, with good modulation. You feel really connected to the car & the road. Ergonomics are great. The display is focused with no unnecessary bells / whistles / clutter. Front row is a great place to be. Loved the steering, dash & gear lever trim etc.

3. Slavia negatives: The rear is very plain-jane for a ₹ 20 lac+ car. The rear seat is clearly built for two (even 2 + child felt squashed). The aggressive side bolstering + narrower width is to blame. While the bolstering works great to keep passenger in place during sporty maneuvers, it may bother heavier-built folks as they'll be sitting partially on it. Also, during the TD, back-seat occupants reported some side-to-side movement (even when driving straight & at moderate speeds).

4. The Verna DCT was a BIG step up from IVT. Linear, predictable acceleration & shifts seem about as fast as Slavia-DSG. Without the jerky IVT acceleration, ride quality really shone through. Suspension felt mature & not at all floaty or bouncy (& we went over some bad roads & breakers). Rear could seat 2+child with more comfort vs Slavia, thanks to wider dimensions + less aggressive side-bolstering. Handling is decent, though not a patch on the excellent Slavia. You feel the size of the car & I was quite conscious while driving. Versus the Slavia felt effortlessly chuckable within seconds. Brakes are very sensitive, especially at low speeds, but not a big problem, I quickly learnt to modulate via a lighter touch. I got the false "children crossing" alarm twice in a short ~700-800 mtr drive. I preferred the DCT's all black interiors over the IVT.

5. Verna's driver ergonomics are close to (slightly below) the Slavia's, with zero complaints. The LCD screens look sleek. Display & reversing camera quality is sharp & way better than Slavia's. But I prefer Slavia's dash & steering design & uncluttered/purist display. In both cars, the hornpad is a reach.

6. Verna's cabin, especially at the rear, is a half-notch above Salvia, but still not what one expects at this price point. A few hard plastics & the roof liner remind me of my Etios.

7. Verna's rear-seat recline angle is spot-on. The Slavia makes you sit a bit too upright. I felt both cars could've used 10-15% more under-thigh support at the rear, but not a deal-breaker.

8. My senior citizen mom found it significantly easier to enter/exit the Verna. I guess due to Slavia's higher GC.

9. A six-footer will probably have to slouch in the Verna's rear seat to avoid the roof. Slavia is marginally better in this respect. Non-sunroof options may be better in this regard.

10. I much prefer the Slavia's classic sedan design versus the Verna's quirky one.

As of now, we're leaning heavily towards the Verna due to the comfier backseat, an approx ₹ 2 lac price gap (top-end DCT vs DSG), likely lower service costs and better service experience. It's a matter of head over heart.

One funny thing. Climbing into our Etios after the TDs, we get this moment of "Do we really want to switch?". My Etios has run less than 30K kms since we bought it in 2011. Has a virtually new, extremely well-treated NA engine with great low-end grunt. It's reliable as heck. And it's roomy interiors & larger boot make the Slavia and Verna feel like downgrades (in terms of space).
Old 25th January 2024, 22:31   #109
BHPian

If you are a performance enthusiast, then it boils down to just three options in the above list. I am a sucker for manuals, so voted for the Hyundai Verna(158bhp on tap). At the price point, it is a phenomenal offering with all the bells and whistles on offer.

If you're in the market for an AT, then the decision should be between the Slavia or the Virtus.

It's hard for me to justify buying the other cars as they are severely underpowered compared to the above-mentioned. The Ciaz has almost become irrelevant and outdated in today's time.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 23rd March 2024 at 14:22. Reason: Spacing for readability
Old 1st February 2024, 15:16   #110

Dear Team BHP,

At the outset, being a silent follower of Team BHP since past 10 years, I thank this forum for imparting wisdom and knowledge about car modifications and reviews through the detailed discussions between members.

Infact, it was Team BHP which helped me review and finalise my pre-owned 2013 Honda City iVTec.

Now, coming to the point.

The current Dilemma:
My daily runner is a 2018 Dzire Vxi with daily commute of 30 kms. Having clocked 90k+ kms in 5 years on Petrol + CNG (aftermarket BRC installed at 2k kms), she has started to show signs of ageing.

The problem:
I have a habit of driving with a heavy foot and Dzire responds to my commands enthusiastically. But, from the past few kms, my car is struggling to go past 80 kmph. She will zoom quickly to 80 kmph but any further from that, she doesn't just want to speed up. However, after struggling between 80-110, she starts zooming again and will go upto 140 kmph (On NHs only).

Rectifications done:
I have replaced the air filter, got the car serviced, replaced the CNG injector rails, got the CNG system tuned, got the throttle body cleaned. But, the 80-100 pickup issue got resolved temporarily after rectifications and has come back to haunt me.

Dilemma:
With the above situation, I am a dilemma with my viable options being:
1. Retain Dzire and get it fixed. However, my trusted mechanic from the past 12 years (Ankita Automobiles, Gurgaon is unable to identify the issue.

2. Sell off Dzire and replace it with a pre-owned C-segment sedan (2018-20) in the following order of preference. Honda City > Hyundai Verna > Toyota Corolla (old models can also work out).

My budget is around 2-3 lakhs excluding the proceedings of Dzire (I am hopeful for 3-4 lakhs selling price.)

Fear:
The exorbitant prices being quoted on pre-owned car sites are setting me off from finalising things. If anyone has a pre-loved car for sale or knows someone who wishes to sell his car, you may contact me directly on msgs. I would be helpful for any leads.

Concluding, I request you all to advise about what would be a better proposition.

Also, if you know any good tuners in Gurgaon, please share their contact details on msgs.

Ciao!!
Old 23rd March 2024, 13:49   #111
BHPian

Hi everyone - I am in a fix. Need a second car for wife. I am thinking of buying a second hand car (but automatic though) which will be used for taking my wife for her office commute. We have a relatively new Seltos which will be primary car. So thinking of buying a pre-owned petrol City or Ciaz. Though I will prefer to buy City, but Ciaz will be better priced primary because MS has not updated the car (including its gearbox) in the longest. Also, while I will prefer a better car, but I am thinking of not spending too much and buying an economical one for now as (1) my wife doesn't really care so long as the car is comfortable and reliable, (2) the technology is rapidly changing with strong hybrids and EVs coming up, (3) future requirements might require us to consider a sturdy highway car, which I don't want to buy now and might be needed in about couple of years from now.

Let me know.
Old 1st April 2024, 12:29   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by youknowitbetter View Post
Hi everyone - I am in a fix. Need a second car for wife. I am thinking of buying a second hand car (but automatic though) which will be used for taking my wife for her office commute. We have a relatively new Seltos which will be primary car. So thinking of buying a pre-owned petrol City or Ciaz. Though I will prefer to buy City, but Ciaz will be better priced

(3) future requirements might require us to consider a sturdy highway car, which I don't want to buy now and might be needed in about couple of years from now.

Let me know.
Just a pointer that if you choose a City ( 4th or 5th gen) you already have a highway car, that is probably sturdier than your Seltos in terms of rated build quality. Just upgrade the tyres to at least 195mm.
fhdowntheline is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks