Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2023, 12:07   #1

Smallest & most powerful sub-40 lakh car options

After moving to Bangalore, I am finally thinking of trading in the old family i20 (which I have loved) for a new car.

My goal has always been to find a hatchback with a big big engine (I live alone, so don't need the passenger or cargo space, smaller the car, better for Bangalore traffic, and I love to drive). Alas, hot hatches don't exist in India. At least, not unless I plan to go merc or mini. And I don't want to go to that budget for another 5 years or so.

With no hatchback fitting my requirements, I moved up to bigger cars. I ruled out compact SUVs because they just fit larger chassis on the same sedan engines. So, I have finally landed on sedans.

I've been driving my parent's 2022 Taigun GT on and off, and have been favourably impressed. The only downside is that I really enjoy full control over my vehicle, and I find the 7 speed DSG very slow and choppy compared to my own manual gear changing. Even the "manual mode" is only partially so, and the car keeps taking over.

Because I hardly ever get stressed out with my manual car, even in Bangalore traffic, I want a manual car, but with all the trims.

As of last year, I did not see any premium variants that were offered in manual. So I decided to put off the purchase.

But then, lo and behold 2023; VW introduces the new 1.5L TSI MT in the GT Plus with all the bells and whistles. While I wish they would do the same with a polo or a golf in India, that's a pipe dream. So as of now, Virtus GT Plus 1.5 MT is the one to beat. The only thing left to do is test drive when it finally arrives in Bangalore and then pick a colour.

But I am very interested to hear if anyone has any suggestions on alternates. I am still open to changing my mind. Fun drive, and as small and light a footprint as possible.

I am excited!
unrudh is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 11th August 2023, 19:30   #2
BHPian

re: Smallest & most powerful sub-40 lakh car options

I guess Skoda Octavia is a much more complete package in that price range. Its wet clutch DSG should be much better than DQ200 too.

I don't think Virtus is comparable to Octavia though in any metric, so if you have the budget then why not?
VaibhavShatna95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2023, 19:46   #3
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Manual sedans in this price range are few and far between, the Virtus, Slavia, City, and Verna are your only options that come with a manual in the top trim, with the Virtus and Slavia being the most fun to drive of the lot, so basically these are your only options for a new manual car in this price range at the moment.
bijims is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2023, 20:10   #4
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by unrudh View Post
After moving to Bangalore, I am finally thinking of trading in the old family i20 (which I have loved) for a new car.

My goal has always been to find a hatchback with a big big engine (I live alone, so don't need the passenger or cargo space, smaller the car, better for Bangalore traffic, and I love to drive). Alas, hot hatches don't exist in India. At least, not unless I plan to go merc or mini.
But I am very interested to hear if anyone has any suggestions on alternates. I am still open to changing my mind. Fun drive, and as small and light a footprint as possible.

I am excited!
Have you not ever considered a second hand car?
There are so many nice ones out there.
shankar.balan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th August 2023, 20:47   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
That's what I first thought of! And I looked into it the last few months. But anything that has the necessary features are relatively new and so are priced not very far from a new vehicle. Or they're old models and I'd be giving up some features. I did read that second hand car market is currently at a high and should correct soon. But that would not really help me in the next few months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaibhavShatna95 View Post
I guess Skoda Octavia is a much more complete package in that price range. Its wet clutch DSG should be much better than DQ200 too.

I don't think Virtus is comparable to Octavia though in any metric, so if you have the budget then why not?
It's the Octavia scroll being sold? It's not visible on their website as a currently offered model.

Last edited by Sheel : 12th August 2023 at 10:18. Reason: Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD! Thanks.
Old 12th August 2023, 10:26   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Smallest & most powerful sub-40 lakh car options

Quote:
And I don't want to go to that budget for another 5 years or so.
Spend a little more money now, save big in the longer term. Please read my article on this topic (How a more expensive car can work out cheaper (if you hold onto it for longer)).

Quote:
VW introduces the new 1.5L TSI MT in the GT Plus with all the bells and whistles.
It's a fun car. If you are very firm on MTs, by all means, get the Virtus.

A lot of us enthusiasts have converted from MT -> ATs after experiencing the new, fast & smooth gearboxes. If you are open to ATs, see if any dealers have leftover stock of Octavias. In your budget, I would strongly consider pre-owned cars = Octavia vRS, BMW 330i & the Polo GTI (1.8L TSI engine - just what you want). These 3 will be a total blast to drive!
GTO is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 12th August 2023, 10:34   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Spend a little more money now, save big in the longer term. Please read my article on this topic (How a more expensive car can work out cheaper (if you hold onto it for longer)).

A lot of us enthusiasts have converted from MT -> ATs after experiencing the new, fast & smooth gearboxes. If you are open to ATs, see if any dealers have leftover stock of Octavias. In your budget, I would strongly consider pre-owned cars = Octavia vRS, BMW 330i & the Polo GTI (1.8L TSI engine - just what you want). These 3 will be a total blast to drive!
I didn't even know Polo 1.8 TSI was a thing! That sounds like my ideal car at the moment. Thank you, I will check. Any idea where one would search? Online, second hand dealers and so on? Do VW dealers, for example, have knowledge of these things?

I suppose I should test drive a few other ATs. But quite disappointed with current VW, Hyundai, Honda options. Just not as responsive as an MT.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 17th August 2023 at 13:09. Reason: Typos
unrudh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2023, 11:04   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaibhavShatna95 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If you are open to ATs, see if any dealers have leftover stock of Octavias. In your budget, I would strongly consider pre-owned cars = Octavia vRS, BMW 330i & the Polo GTI (1.8L TSI engine - just what you want). These 3 will be a total blast to drive!
Pls think very carefully before going down the pre owned route at this time. All these cars - Octavia, Polo GTi etc, with the exception of BMWs, are not E20 compliant. Long term ownership will not be peaceful or straightforward. Even today, the 2023 Kodiaq and the new GLC remain only E10 rated.

That right there is a huge reason to go for the Virtus, manual or automatic. Pls limit options to only E20 rated cars if you want to consider pre owned cars, which means mainly BMWs and Minis. You live in a Tier 1 city, which means you’ll be the first affected by whatever new fuel blend they will introduce in future. You will always get the higher ethanol %.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 12th August 2023 at 11:13.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (23) Thanks
Old 12th August 2023, 11:49   #9
BANNED

Quote:
VW introduces the new 1.5L TSI MT

Got nothing to add except for the reminder that a Kushaq/Taigun are tall hot hatches for me, and while the sedans might be better lookers, they're much longer, and have a worse turning radius. Both of which are not hot hatch attributes. Or attributes that you would want in BLR.

Also that the Kushaq is available as a 1.5 manual top variant.

I'm also in the same boat, although I do find myself leaning ever so slightly to the Honda City, albeit with the suspension swapped to sportier units.

Edit: 5 star BHP-ian Dr.Naren recently bought a Hyundai Verna 1.5 turbo, and seeing that you have a i20, maybe you would also want to consider that.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5565868 (2023 Hyundai Verna Review)

Last edited by turbo : 12th August 2023 at 11:58.
turbo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2023, 12:14   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I didn't even know Polo 1.8 TSI was a thing! That sounds like my ideal car at the moment. Thank you, i will check. Any idea where one would search? Online, second hand dealers and so on? Do vw dealers, for example, have knowledge of these things?
Note that Polo GTI was a 2 door car. There are couple of ownership threads on T-Bhp itself. It may be really difficult to get one. I would also suggest pre-owned VW T-Roc. Slightly bigger than the Polo but a much modern car. Stage1 remapping should make it as quick as anything else you are considering.
Guna is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th August 2023, 16:06   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
I would also suggest pre-owned VW T-Roc.
I would suggest T-Roc too. I'm not sure if it is the exact same engine as in Kushaq/Taigun. I once heard the exhaust note/engine sound of T-Roc as someone launched it from standstill. It sounded so sweet, like a proper sports car.
Old 12th August 2023, 16:57   #12
BHPian

You can also look into electric options as well. Take a test drive atleast, Ioniq 5 is sort of the current dream car for me at any price point.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 17th August 2023 at 13:10. Reason: Formatting (unsupported emoticons).
VaibhavShatna95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2023, 17:52   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

A pre-owned Cooper S could be a good buy given your requirements : Find an example with low running and within warranty.
lamborghini is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th August 2023, 18:03   #14
BHPian

Lot of modern cars in different budgets can fit the need given by you however without knowing what aspect of driving you enjoy it's difficult to suggest.

One thing I can safely say and that is stay away from luxury / Skoda / VW pre owned cars as for little bit of fun they will bleed you dry.

I own Tucson Diesel bought last year and find it fun to drive but for many it may not be hence list down aspects of driving you enjoy in a post.
heydj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2023, 09:54   #15
BHPian

Verna 1.5 turbo is probably the fastest non crossover car under 40 L. XUV400 is probably the fastest under 40.

Price of Minis has skyrocketed in last few years. They used to be under 40 with JCW topping out around 45. They would have been perfect for you since they drive like go-karts.

I'd personally recommend a used 3 series. Jags are unreliable machines but you could go for a used XE if you want. They are smaller than 3 series.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 17th August 2023 at 13:12. Reason: Punctuation and spacing.
blueather is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks