Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2023, 09:39   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Midsize Sedan comparison | Exploring the best choices today

Very nice comparison and a great effort.
My personal pick would be VAG twins for all its strengths, as its weak areas are not a deciding factor for me.
Good to see sedans still hanging in there and need to appreciate these manufacturers for not giving up yet.
sunikkat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2023, 10:47   #17
Senior - BHPian

Excellent summary level comparison ! But I would like to bring out one point regarding steering feel/ feedback. Just took the delivery of my Verna turbo the other day and came back from a short drive from Pune to Lonavala. Honestly, I did not find the steering feedback lacking in any which way. Is it super sensitive like the Fiat Linea (pure hydraulic) ? No, but it is par for the course. In fact it does weigh up pretty decently and is not exactly one-finger-touch at high speeds. It is actually a bit heavier in feel than my erstwhile Creta diesel. The car feels well planted and in terms of power/performance, one has to be careful with the A-pedal, you can easily cross triple digit speeds without realizing it and risk incurring fines !
fhdowntheline is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2023, 13:19   #18
BHPian

Excellent comparison and in proper sequence. Thank you for your efforts; this is what the general public needs to pick that one car for their needs! A go-to thread, have forwarded it to someone who was struggling to make a choice! Thank you.
wheeledwanderer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2023, 21:10   #19
BHPian

Excellent comparison. All points put forward nicely. I did this comparison extensively last month and finally purchased Verna IVT SX(O) Titan Grey. I liked the VAG twins, but the service still feels to be little concern, and lack of ADAS is a negative. And India 2.0 has lowered the quality of the vehicles as a whole. The Virtus interior plastic is pathetic and reminded me of our old M800. City offered a great package but the ICE doesn’t suite the segment. But the instrument cluster was definitely a class apart in city. Anyway, some good to have features in Verna like ventilated seats, powered driver seat adjustments, extra features in ADAS etc made me finalise Verna. And my driving style doesn’t demand DCT. Only feature i felt useful for me in DCT Verna was the black interiors considering my son who likes to keep his feet on the seat all time. Missing wireless Apple CarPlay, lane assist camera in Verna, but that is something I can live with. Coming from 2014 City CVT, the driving feels almost similar, but suspension is tuned slightly more comfortable in Verna (personal opinion).
Overall I am happy with Verna as of now. Took the 7 year extended warranty. Hope I will get a worry free ownership experience.

PS: Yeah, I took a TD for Ciaz also, but it failed to impress me. It is miles behind the competition, no major upgrades and 4 speed TC with OD lock button (even though a trouble free package) belongs in a museum. Yes, it was much cheaper than all other cars in the segment, but doesn’t belong in the segment now.

I am a sedan lover, a class going extinct in India now. I don’t have anything against SUV (proper SUV, not the sub-compact ones), but somehow sedans feel more comfortable for long drives as long as the roads are of decent quality, which is the case nowadays with most major roads where I travel (including the Pune-Kerala runs atleast twice a year). And with my previous cars, City and Fiesta, I never came across any roads which I couldn’t negotiate, except a few speed breakers in Bangalore and some (very few) Karnataka village roads.

Last edited by harikr : 22nd October 2023 at 21:32. Reason: Added more points
harikr is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2023, 21:45   #20
BHPian

Virtus made me sell Harrier but went with Verna 1.5 DCT. I never considered Verna but ownership review by Dr.Naren and Blackbandit made me test drive the same. The following are the pros after 700km within a week

* amazing value for 21 lakhs on-road
* refined and powerful engine
* ergonomics
* fit and finish
* feature rich with level-2 ADAS
* futuristic looks ( my wife loved Verna, while she found Virtus conventional and boring )
* not Punto steering but well weighted at high speeds
* balanced suspension
* In the handling department, it is very near to Virtus. I will say around 20% less
* After-sales ( not a single niggle so far. I came from a Tata that gave me water leakage in the foot well on the very first day of delivery coupled with a number of electrical issues and warning . After owning Fiat, Ford and Tata hope Hyundai will give me peace of mind )

I am super happy with Verna.

Last edited by greyhound82 : 22nd October 2023 at 21:49.
greyhound82 is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 24th October 2023, 00:15   #21
BHPian

Excellent thread @MotorDev, as a sedan lover, I'm happy to see the sedan segment is gaining some popularity again, all thanks to the VAG twins that brought in the enthusiasm but the Verna came later and knocked off all the checkboxes! When I read through the post, I felt like a flashback of the past 1 year for me to pick the best sedan. I settled for the Verna Turbo in the end and so happy about this! Being a Hyundai gives me the peace-of-mind of ASS which was the primary reason I walked away from the VAG twins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harikr View Post
I am a sedan lover, a class going extinct in India now. I don’t have anything against SUV (proper SUV, not the sub-compact ones), but somehow sedans feel more comfortable for long drives...
I second you on this! Proper SUVs are lovely but SUVs never give me that confidence on the highway that a floor hugging sedan gives at triple digit cruising speeds. I had to convince my better-half for a Sedan vs SUV debate and the argument that won me was "The most comfortable luxury cars, like BMW, Mercedes etc., you see on the road are mostly sedans, because sedans are just more comfortable!". Sorry SUV lovers, but that is just my honest opinion
vignesh207 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th October 2023, 06:13   #22
BHPian

Thanks @MotorDev for the detailed comparison of all the mid-size sedan, all under one roof. Gained much knowledge from this amazing thread.
FueledbyFury is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2023, 14:10   #23
Senior - BHPian

Excellent comparison. Sadly the list here is reducing day by day as the volumes dwindle. Sedan lover here and I am struggling to find a sedan to replace my Corolla altis

For someone with 20-25 lakh budget, there are ample pseudo SUV options but very limited choices when it comes to a sedan

I feel Virtus/Slavia are on one end and Honda City is on the other end (Ignoring Ciaz completely here as Maruti is not interested in the game anymore)

Hyundai Verna to me comes in the middle.

1. They scored 5 star in NCAP, offering Turbo + DCT
2. ADAS, reliable 1.5 NA/IVT
3. Better overall package compared to City in terms of features

And Hyundai has wider service network as compared to Honda, VW and Skoda combined.

It would be interesting to see if someone here has done a comparative study between say Verna vs Creta/Seltos as I personally feel Verna is a better package compared to Verna/Seltos.
rajshenoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2023, 16:35   #24
BHPian

Excellent detailed comparison. Purely by driving dynamics and overall desire, Virtus 1.5 DGS would be the one I would go with.

The looks are good and would age well with time I believe. Verna's style is not something I would be interested in say after 4-5 years.

On the other hand, if I were to look for a very VFM chauffeur driven beater car for the family, I would go with the Ciaz eyes closed. I had the opportunity to be chauffeured around in one and the rear seat was excellent with ample space.

Only these two choices with my two cents, based on priorities
chinmaypillay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2023, 17:04   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
It would be interesting to see if someone here has done a comparative study between say Verna vs Creta/Seltos as I personally feel Verna is a better package compared to Verna/Seltos.
The only points that Seltos scores over the Verna (comparing top-of-the line GTX vs SXO DCT) are:
1) Slick Instrument cluster (speed/rpm dials over plain jane digits)
2) 360 deg camera which has some utility value during parking
2) Slightly better dashboard trim

I am not going into the obvious difference of ground clearance. That apart, the Verna is very much a match or better (seat comfort, boot space, active/passive safety features). But the Seltos is fetching a premium simply because it is a CSUV. Same goes for the Creta.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 4th November 2023 at 17:06.
fhdowntheline is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks