Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2007, 11:16   #16
Senior - BHPian

@mcl: There you go... In roughly the price of an RS, you have a 260 odd BHP turbocharged monster. With a little more tuned suspension setup, it'll beat the RS completely hollow.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 27th September 2007 at 11:17.
Old 27th September 2007, 11:22   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Did you check Mitsubishi Cedia? The Sports version will 9.5lacs or less in delhi. It'll beat a honda civic on track in stock form. RS is a completely different ballgame though if you spend the extra 5lacs on mods for it, you can pretty easily get close to 200bhp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adman77 View Post
With an extra 5 lacs only for mods, you can take it up to more than 300bhp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
With that finicky suspension of the Civic, the Cedia might just pip it on track.

There is an Evo 6 engine for sale for about that much .
300 BHP, track duels et all -Don't you guys think we are going way off topic ?

Lets help the gentleman decide amongst his choices and then maybe we could have seperate thread about modifying his ride ?
Old 27th September 2007, 11:28   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashanthyr View Post
A colleague of mine has a Octavia RS and he has had major trouble sourcing even simple things like Tires. Apparently, the RS has imported Bridgestones and very low profile in nature due to which they damage easily. My colleague's RS' tire tore in front of our office due to the poor condition of the approach path and he had to park it for close to 2 weeks before Skoda could get a replacement tire. So, please check with owners of both cars before you decide
The Tyres are readily available , checked at a Tyre Dealer in North Delhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
Siigh! Now I've heard it all. Is there no limit to the rubbish people say at times! I mean...what "special tyres" is you friend talking about! C'mon guys, if anyone is gullible enough to believe that, then he deserves to be taken on a ride!

On the cars themselves. Its rather an easy choice. If you are going to drive it 90% of the time, and are not over 5'11", then the RS.

If you expect to be in the backseat or carry 4 people regularly, then go for the Civic.
I am 6'1" and have driven the RS once , no problem sitting in the front seat . and we have a Honda City VTEC which will be used when there will be any outing with the family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetlife View Post
Abhinav,
Skoda RS will not give more than 6 kmpl and the spares cost a bomb.. But its the best when it comes to performance..

IMO Civic is the best looking car in this segment with over all features..

Why are you not considering the Cedia?
Have a TD and decide which one suits you...
Dude I know a RS owner and he gets a mileage of 7-8 kmpl in rash conditions and 9-9.5 in normal driving!

And Guys My budget is 15 Lakh. So Shellling Out another 5 lakh is like impossible. and I somehow dont Like the Cedia. Dont Know why , so that is also out of contention!
Old 27th September 2007, 11:43   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

NC and Rtech,

All you have said is people are telling crap about Skoda' service costs.

Why don't you help by sharing the actual costs of regular stuff for Skoda (or point me to a thread where it's already shared).

Please, clear my fear of Skoda A.S.S. costs and I will buy one.

Of course, special tyres is a joke, but what about filters, etc...
Old 27th September 2007, 11:51   #20
Team-BHP Support

Hi Anand, I've shared my costs on various threads. I don't have a dedicated thread for updates (actually I do, but it hasn't been updated!) lol!

Out of memory right now:
Oil Filter: about Rs.400
Diesel Filter: about Rs.750
Air filter (OE): about Rs.600 or so.
I changed my sway bar bushings last year. That cost me Rs.1200 including labour.

Regular service costs on on par with all other cars in the segment. The difference, and i've said this a thousand times, is that Skoda only use Synthetic oils, that shoots the price up by another Rs.3,500/-. So people think it costs a bomb to run.
Old 27th September 2007, 12:12   #21
Team-BHP Support

@Abhinav - if I had the choice I would go for a 1.8Tpi/RS over civic any day. The Skoda is built like a tank and goes like stink.
Old 27th September 2007, 12:15   #22
BHPian

As most of us know...

Skoda Octavia, the model sold in India, be it vRS or TPi or Tdi in all guises are obsolete.

Cedia is not the latest one either... But then, you get the latest Lancer only in Japan and US.

Civic is the latest version available elsewhere in the planet.

Civic seems to be the best bet. Why consider something that is obsolete.

A comparison between Civic and Laura may me more appropriate.
Old 27th September 2007, 12:16   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Rtech.

This helps.

As a matter of fact, the sales guy told me I have choice. If I ask them to use mineral oil for my car, they don't mind. This made me happy.

I had posted this on a thread for laura but nobody has replied yet.

I think the filter and suspension componet costs you have mentioned also look reasonable.

One thing I found different from Honda - Skoda recommends service at every 7500 KM vs Honda's every 5000 KM (this is good).

Honda reccomends air filter change every 20000 KM whereas Skoda does at every service (7500LM). This I thought was not good but if the filter does not cost a bomb (and you have confirmed that), this is no big deal, in fact better for the car.

One last thing -
Whats the labour cost like?
And how expensive is not so frequent work (dent/paint, clutch-pad, break-pads etc)?

I am considering Laura and maintenance costs is the only factor that my decision is hinging on.

I hope it's appropriate to ask these questions here as the Laura threads have gone silent and this thread is also related to potential Skoda customer.

Will appreciate your inputs.
Old 27th September 2007, 12:20   #24
Senior - BHPian

^^Are you sure Honda's service intervals are just 5000km? Thats way too low... Mitsubishi service intervals are 10000km and I think its the same with Toyota.
Old 27th September 2007, 12:26   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh yes. I know because of my NHC...
Old 27th September 2007, 12:30   #26
Senior - BHPian

These are the rates for the vRS,

Fuel Filter - Rs 469
Oil Filter - Rs 373
Air Filter - Rs 710
Synthetic Oil (700 Rs/Litre - Shell Helix 5W/50 - 4.5 L) - Rs 3150
Labour - Rs 950

Total - Rs 5652 + 12.5 % tax = Rs 6358.50

And I have the option of buying my own oil @ approx 625 Rs / Litre and asking the service centre to change it. I save Rs 337.50 (effectively I get the oil filter free ).
Old 27th September 2007, 12:47   #27
BHPian

!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
And Guys My budget is 15 Lakh. So Shellling Out another 5 lakh is like impossible. and I somehow dont Like the Cedia. Dont Know why , so that is also out of contention!
May i suggest Honda Accord or Sonata Embrera. Not exactly a RS but way more practical!

Also how about a Laura?
Old 27th September 2007, 12:57   #28
Senior - BHPian

If you guys can wait another month - ACI November issues normally brings out an updated spare parts comparo. The Nov issue will probably hit the stands in another 4 weeks.

I have the 2006 Nov issue in front of me now and am quoting from it.

For a selection of 27 regular service & accident repair parts the total costs are thus.
1.8 TPi Rider - 1.59 L
RS - 1.86 L
Civic - 1.56 L

Cedia actually tops that group with 2.07 L. But HM probably has localised some parts since and costs have come down. Which is why I said, wait for the updated comparo this year.

Other cars - to give a reference point
City 1.5 - 0.92 L
Corolla - 1.38 L
Octy TDi - 1.6 L
Accord 2.4 - 2.0 L
Laura - 2.17 L

I think these are the default warranties offered
Civic - 2yrs/40K
RS - 2yrs/unlimited

I have no first hand ownership experience of either car. But from what I have heard, read etc, the RS/TPi cost of maintenance would be more or less at par with the Civic. What could potentially pinch are accidental repairs. But you'll never know that till you have one. There are sooo many parts in a car. You never know what could get damaged.

The RS costs 2 L more than the Civic in Calcutta. And a RS of similar vintage as the Civic will probably sell for 1 to 1.5 L less. The gap could increase with age. So in terms of resale, you would tend to lose more with the RS as the car gets older. It would also be easier to find a customer for a used Civic.

So to put it in a nutshell.
The head will always say - Civic
The heart will chant - RS,RS,RS
Depends on what you want to follow.
Old 27th September 2007, 13:05   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
Siigh! Now I've heard it all. Is there no limit to the rubbish people say at times! I mean...what "special tyres" is you friend talking about! C'mon guys, if anyone is gullible enough to believe that, then he deserves to be taken on a ride!

On the cars themselves. Its rather an easy choice. If you are going to drive it 90% of the time, and are not over 5'11", then the RS.

If you expect to be in the backseat or carry 4 people regularly, then go for the Civic.

This is the scene in Bangalore. I am not sure of other cities. I didnt believe at the first instance either. The right size of tire is available alright, but teh same tread pattern isnt, as the dealer claimed that the model of tire is out of production
Old 27th September 2007, 13:14   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for this.
Real good info.

Any idea why Laura costs are on the higher side?
Are the pumpe duse injectors reliable for the lifetime?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks