Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2004, 17:38   #1

I am a driving enth. and currently have iKON. Was very happy with my car till a year back when ford declared that the engine block nees replacement and want me to spend around 50K. I am up for a new car but confused between Baleno and Viva CRDi. The only thing that i do not like about Baleno is the styling and the accelerator (a bit too hard) plust the attidute of the Maruti dealers in Gurgaon. Vival CRDi has got the looks and the milage. Not sure on the performance on Road as compared to Baleno. My budget is for 6.5 to 7 Lacks Max (on Rd)
Old 14th May 2004, 18:17   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Go for the Baleno:

1. Its Japanese and maruti backed
2. Is bloody fast...in fact whips some cars from the category above it too.
3. Actually an upper C segment car, recently demoted to the Accent level.
4. Will outlast 2 Accents

For me, the only good thing about the Viva is the CRDi engine. Dont dig anything else.

GTO
Old 14th May 2004, 18:33   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (GTO @ May 14 2004,16:47)]Go for the Baleno:
and tell the dealer to keep the alloys - go get your own set of wide wheels/tyre combo
Old 14th May 2004, 18:37   #4

Thanks, That is what i also thought and CRDi has been pulling me like a magnet
Old 14th May 2004, 18:40   #5
Team-BHP Support

Can't argue with the running costs of the CRDi thought. Depends how much you travel everyday. But, the Baleno is larger, more comfortable and much faster.

Tough choice, as it comes down to how important running costs are to you.
Old 14th May 2004, 18:53   #6
Senior - BHPian

Go for the Baleno pal . Easy to keep, quite nice to drive, pretty good on economy and best of all comes with the Maruti Peace of Mind factor. And yes the Japanese engine is bullet proof ... Will last you years on end.

Not much gunning for the Viva. The only good part abourt it is that wonderful CRDi engine. Gives you good performance. Nothing else really on that car worth considering

Cheers
Old 14th May 2004, 19:03   #7

I do about 2000 Kms a month. Running cost is important but not as much as the peace of mind

-Pankaj
Old 14th May 2004, 19:06   #8
Senior - BHPian

BALENO IT IS!!!!
Old 14th May 2004, 20:33   #9
RJK
Senior - BHPian

considering ur daily travel it wouldn't be wrong to consider the viva CRDi...service network of hyundai is not bad to say the least plus u save on running costs..spare parts of hyundai (except CRDi engine) are way cheaper than that of the baleno...performance of the car is shattering & unless u attack each & every corner i think u'll be satisfied with the viva i personally dont like the baleno...looks awkward & calling the interiors horrible is understatement! What i like about baleno is only the engine..period
Old 14th May 2004, 20:36   #10
Senior - BHPian

The baleno is certainly more economical and comfortable in the long run.but somewhere i had read that its resale value is very low. Also, i reckon the accent looks better unlike the baleno which looks very chubby.....I would certainly go for Baleno but the only thing that bites is the crappy resale value (if thats true)!
Old 14th May 2004, 22:33   #11
Senior - BHPian

Now that's atough one. But since you've already mentioned that you're the driving enthu. i too would suggest the Baleno.

I've never owned a Baleno but have owned other MUL products and they are very reliable.

On the other hand, the CRDI is one of the best diesels you can find in the country. Loads of torque with decent power. Good for highway driving and tottering throught city lanes but not a high revving sporty car.

Regards...
Shan2nu
Old 14th May 2004, 22:53   #12
Team-BHP Support

If you really want a diesel, go for a Viva CRDi. Otherwise the Baleno is definitely a better bet. It's bigger, more comfortable, faster and MUL's service is pretty good to. As Ajmat said, get some nice and wide alloys and tyres.

Old 14th May 2004, 23:45   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]The only thing that i do not like about Baleno is the styling
Its all about the attitude you make your car wear. If people can make an Ambassador (Rudra Sen) and a Fiat (Team Fiat) look good, the Baleno can be made capable of making a man go wet in his pants.

Go for the maroon colour...its swears down the rear boxy lights look. Put in some nice 5 spoke alloys with white lettering tyres, a free flow exhaust and black tints with black leather upholstery. There was a maroon Baleno at the SpeedRun and dare I say...it actually looked okay!

GTO
Old 15th May 2004, 05:56   #14
Team-BHP Support

Hey Pankaj,

Well if you do choose the baleno, i agree with Ajmat & GTO, believe me when u put some nice alloys and wider tires on the car looks a lot better! (although im not sure i agree with the maroon colour )

cya
R
Old 15th May 2004, 12:03   #15
Team-BHP Support

True, nice wheels and tyres change the whole look of that car. It would be black for me though, as that hides the chubby butt even better!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks