Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilashvk View Post
Accent has all wheel suspension too.
... (twenty twenty)
Old 29th November 2007, 16:38   #17
BHPian

Comments on Jeremy :
Quote:
We expect Jeremy to say ridiculous things - he does it deliberately for comic effect, but what really made me laugh was the number of fools who took him seriously and reiterated his comedic rantings as if they actually meant it. Maybe there should be some kind of health warning placed above Jeremy's writings along lines such as, 'stupid people and psychotic petrol heads should avoid this piece.'
Old 29th November 2007, 16:41   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl
(twenty twenty)
Sorry , 25:25:25:25.
Old 29th November 2007, 16:46   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Whenever people go overboad, I prefer to bring them back to earth by telling them how much Dear Jeremey likes the Accent Jeremy Clarkson Hyundai Accent review | Driving - Times Online

Quote: "There’s something I’ve found out as well. If you buy a Hyundai, or any car from that part of the world, you will be seen as a bore. Invitations will dry up, your kids will refuse to speak to you, your wife will sleep with your friends and you may end up committing suicide."
Hehe .. Nice one there mate !! But when you speak of Jeremy Clarkson - He is a very wicked guy.

Have you ever heard / seen / driven a Honda Civic ( Type R Also in some places ). I am talking of the UK Market. The Honda Civic is a 5 Door Sports hatchback which can put our Indian Civic to shame.

If it ever sold in India - people would fight to buy that sort of a car. look at what Clarkson had to say about it -

'' It’s not futuristic at all. It’s a perfectly ordinary five-door hatchback that has been fitted with all sorts of funky jewellery. Yes, the radiator grille is made from glass and the exhaust tail pipes are triangular, but does that make a car futuristic? I’m not sure it does. I think of it more as being a pensioner in a thong. I think of it as Peter Stringfellow. Or Mick Jagger, if you prefer.

It’s the same story on the inside. Yes, all the dials are spread around the dashboard in an unusual fashion, but is it futuristic to fit a digital speed readout just below your eyeline? Or is that as sensible as uPVC windows? Is it just plain common sense? Honda will tell you in guarded moments that it built the new Civic this way deliberately to scare away its elderly customer base, to bring in some new blood. I think it has failed. ''

You can read it on Jeremy Clarkson Honda Civic review | Driving - Times Online

So when you show us links of what Clarkson thinks about the Hyundai Accent - Why don't you find us one ( if there was any ) that also shows us about a Maruti baleno.

Remember one thing mate - these are Indian Cars - built for Indians. And BTW I have a office in the UK so I frequent there quite a lot - Hyundai Accent, verna & Getz are very popular there and sell quite well. I have never seen a baleno there. Now that does not mean Accent is a better car than the Baleno. I am only trying to say this as you were trying to bring people down to earth

Cheers All !!!
Old 29th November 2007, 16:54   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post

So when you show us links of what Clarkson thinks about the Hyundai Accent - Why don't you find us one ( if there was any ) that also shows us about a Maruti baleno.
OT: I swear I tried locating the TG episode that had the Baleno review. If my memory is right, Tiff Neddle (not Jeremey.. thankfully !!) did the review. All I can remember from that episode is him saying that its a "sensible car" but rather boring too .
Old 29th November 2007, 16:56   #21
BHPian

Very well said, vkochar!
The fact of the matter is that people in India should think of the Indian market and do comparisons.. I am sure if someone sees the 'Ford Fiesta' in UK (which is the hatch back of ford Ikon), he will think twice before buying the Ikon here.. the hatchback looks really ugly and cheap and our much acclaimed Ikon is that fiesta with a high boot!

I know that people who trash Accent do so bcos of its Korean origin. However, we don't get the ones that are launched by Hondas and Toyotas in US out here in India, however the Accent is pretty much the same!

When I got the Accent 1.6 for my family in Sep-Oct 2003, I didn't have t-bhp to refer to. However, took it for the value for money (with ABS) and large network of Hyundai (back in Kerala) and lesser spare costs. Also, the 102.5 BHP figure also was a factor (though later I would come to know that the IKON also would dash 0-100 in 13.66 seconds). The cramped and overpriced and poorly served Corsa wasn't given a thought at all then.

In retrospect, it was the right decision, because I know that it would fetch a good sum for me to get an IKON or Baleno of same year, and still more!

Though I am an enthusiast, the car was meant to be a family car, and so never had a thought of selling it off.
Old 29th November 2007, 16:58   #22
BHPian

Quote:

Remember one thing mate - these are Indian Cars - built for Indians. And BTW I have a office in the UK so I frequent there quite a lot - Hyundai Accent, verna & Getz are very popular there and sell quite well. I have never seen a baleno there. Now that does not mean Accent is a better car than the Baleno. I am only trying to say this as you were trying to bring people down to earth
There you go..Spot on Mate !!!
Old 29th November 2007, 17:00   #23
BHPian

Very well said, vkochar!
The fact of the matter is that people in India should think of the Indian market and do comparisons.. I am sure if someone sees the 'Ford Fiesta' in UK (which is the hatch back of ford Ikon), he will think twice before buying the Ikon here.. the hatchback looks really ugly and cheap and our much acclaimed Ikon is that fiesta with a high boot!

I know that people who trash Accent do so bcos of its Korean origin. However, we don't get the ones that are launched by Hondas and Toyotas in US out here in India, however the Accent is pretty much the same!

When I got the Accent 1.6 for my family in Sep-Oct 2003, I didn't have t-bhp to refer to. However, took it for the value for money (with ABS) and large network of Hyundai (back in Kerala) and lesser spare costs. Also, the 102.5 BHP figure also was a factor (though later I would come to know that the IKON also would dash 0-100 in 13.66 seconds). The cramped and overpriced and poorly served Corsa wasn't given a thought at all then.

In retrospect, it was the right decision, because I know that it would fetch a good sum for me to get an IKON or Baleno of same year, and still more!

Though I am an enthusiast, the car was meant to be a family car, and so never had a thought of selling it off.
Old 29th November 2007, 17:07   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
oh is that so?? I spotted quite a few Balenos in UK during a short stint there last year. One Altura was there parked just in the adjacent building and I even managed to take a pic of a maroon Baleno on the street. hopefully will be able to find the pic....
but obviously saw more accents than the Baleno. By the way all the accents that I had seen there were three door...

Last edited by BlackPearl : 29th November 2007 at 17:08.
Old 29th November 2007, 17:12   #25
BHPian

Very well said, vkochar!

Old 29th November 2007, 19:46   #26

I have checked that Baleno interiors are bad compared to my sail interiors. Interiors also matter for me, so i am not buying it. Now, I need to try accent.
Old 30th November 2007, 15:53   #27
NIP
Senior - BHPian

i think you'll come back and kiss the baleno dashboard once you've experienced the accents !
Old 30th November 2007, 16:15   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravitsp View Post
I have checked that Baleno interiors are bad compared to my sail interiors. Interiors also matter for me, so i am not buying it. Now, I need to try accent.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

I am postive you will love the car. Interiors I can debate endlessly that Accent is far better than Baleno.

Performance - Yes, Baleno wins but only by a slight margin. It wins nevertheless. But saying that Accent is no slow cow. I have done my fair bit of racing and overtaking cars of much higher specs and all and I am proud to say that Accent is a good Driver's car and quite good on performance.

Quote:
but obviously saw more accents than the Baleno. By the way all the accents that I had seen there were three door...
@ Black Pearl - Ok, I have never seen any baleno's / altura's in the UK. Maybe I missed them.

Yes, the Accent is largely selling in the 3 door version there - similar looks as in the Viva. Quite a seller there.

OT - Also you will see more of Getz there than Swift - Seriously !!! anyone here from UK staying there permanently might be able to second me on this.

I am only stating my views here and I have nothing at all against the Baleno, In fact I think it is a brilliant car which was badly marketed - priced by MUL - But then again that is a different story altogether which has been discussed endlessly.

Accent is a tough, strudy and very reliable car.

Last edited by vkochar : 30th November 2007 at 16:18.
Old 30th November 2007, 18:08   #29
BHPian

Hmm. You have an out-of-production car, and you're considering an upgrade to
- A pre-owned out-of-production car
- A pre-owned, almost out-of-production car.

Is this wise? Why dont you wait a bit and buy a new car?
Old 30th November 2007, 18:22   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Accent is a tough, strudy and very reliable car.
I can second you on that though I am no Hyundai fan . I have always stuck to one opinion about Hyundai and that is Hyundai gives everything better than what the Maruti offers except the engines. The intertior qualities of Hyundais are far better than the Maruitis, but the engines are not that refined.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks