Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2008, 06:59   #1
BHPian

Budget upto 10 Lacks, what car to buy?

Guys,
Before i give you my options.
Below are my requirements.
Plan to keep the car for atleast 5 years.
If i plan to keep a car for 5 years, should i really worry about the resale value ?
Good interiors. As i will be spending quiet some time in there.
FE..not really, but would definitely be an added advantage.
I drive around 50 KM's everyday, through the attrocious Traffic in Hosur Road.
Mostly driven in city in bad traffic.

My Budget is upto 10 Lakhs (This is stretching it!!)...what car to Buy.

i10
----
I would take this but my Fiance does not like it. Still trying to convince her.

Getz
------
Really like it
Looks
Interior
Hyundai A.S.S

Reason dont wanna buy, no Airbags.
Can someone comment about the FE or resale.

Swift
-----
Looks (dont like it a lot)
Handling
Maruti A.S.S
I dont like the interiors. I am not gonna take the Swift.
But sure is a VFM

Verna
-----
Dont like the looks

Ford Fiesta
------------
Ford A.S.S scares me.
And i am kinda disappointed with American cars, as i have driven quite a few of them and they dont live upto the Japs or European cars.

Honda City
---------
Absolutely love the looks of the car. (Subjective!!)
Interiors are top notch.
Scary parts are GXi doesnt come with ABS or Airbags.
Vtec Plus has the ABS and Airbags though.

Ridiculously Overpriced!!!

Cedia
------
Absolutely love this car.
A bit outdated, and resale value scares me.
If i plan to keep the car for 5 years, will the resale value hurt me a lot?

Toyota Innova
---------------
G4 D does not have ABS or Airbags.
Can some one comment on how safe Innova is without the ABS or Airbags?
MS users reviews say the car's breaking is really bad.

Simply put i would like to say that i want a car that is first of all safe and has good interiors.
Mostly driven in the city, in really bad traffic, i am not a very enthusiastic driver, but a part of me is. But i would take safety instead of the fun factor, cause my parents and my wife would be with me.

Any inputs from you guys, which would meet my requirements, will be greatly helpful.

Thanks!!
Old 3rd February 2008, 09:41   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

If you plan to drive yourself, get the Cedia.

If you are going to be driven around a lot, the City. Period.

Why have you not included the SX 4 ?

And the Ford Fiesta sold here is not an American car. It is an Indian car made for Indian roads. Like the Ikon. It is not sold anywhere else in the world (I think so).
Old 3rd February 2008, 10:05   #3
Senior - BHPian

Very good thinking and short listed cars are perfect choice If you plan to keep the car for 5 years resale value don't hurt you.

I suggest between Innova/NHC/Cedia/Optra(GM is being American company).

When you have budget upto 10 lacs. buy the car in 8+ lac category. If you would like to drive the car and few years later have your wife use it then think about i10/Getz, both are very good cars among hatches.

Innova: I own one G3 Petrol and saw the MS reveiw about bad braking report as well. But based on my experience Innova has good brakes with excellant stability. ABS would give better confidence and ability for any car. Innova has best interiors, super comfort with huge space it. Its perfect vehicle for family use. If you have confidence to choose used Petrol Innova you can find good one for 7 lac bracket V spec thats top end Innova with all safety features. Fe of Petrol Innova would be between 7 and 12kmpl with Ac on.

If you give importance to ABS / AIRBAG and would like to buy new car I feel for your budget NHC/Cedia/Optra are ideal.

Trust me Optra being american company produced car is worth thinking about it.
your parents will love its rear seat comfort and its good looker too.

NHC Vtec+ is overpriced I agree that but it comes with good quality with safety feature. Even Innova is overpriced if we look at it from some angles. Thats how Honda/toyota cost. But it would be complete peace of mind to own and come with sheer luxury with good comfort. I prefer Toyota over Honda for Indian condition.

About Cedia I have no words to say its excellant VFM car loaded with goodies. Perfect pricing as well. Its truley driver's car, you will love every bit of it. I heard rear seats are not as comfortable as Optra/Innova in Cedia. Except that Cedia is very well built car. Other members in this forum can help you more about Cedia.

Make a good homework and TD to decide, all the best.

Regards,

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 3rd February 2008 at 10:07.
Old 3rd February 2008, 10:29   #4
Senior - BHPian

Try SX4-ZXi. It has the safety features you are looking for. It is within your budget. Good A**. Moreover, its a Maruti.

Take the TD of below and then decide: SX4/NHC/Innova/Skoda.
Old 3rd February 2008, 10:39   #5
BHPian

The reason i am not picking SX4 is i saw some other thread, where the SX4 has lot of build quality issues, which i really dont want to get into.
And for some reason i am not liking the SX4 looks.

And i did not mention that i am in the US right now, will be back home this month

And i also noticed that a lot of guyz hate the Honda City
And ravibhat, i just saw ur TBHP garage and the innova interiors look very nice.

Since i will be mainly driving in the city, is city GXi a safe choice? since in Bangalore you rarely exceed 4 KM/hr/

Thanks for all your suggestions guyz.
For some reason i am getting tempted towards Innova!!
And not to worry tomorrow my heart will be on the cedia, and some other day on the Honda City and so forth.

Note from support team - Please read the rules before posting. Only 2 smilies per post is the norm.

Last edited by normally_crazy : 3rd February 2008 at 14:14. Reason: Excessive smilies
Old 3rd February 2008, 10:59   #6
Senior - BHPian

Getz CRDi - Looks / A.S.S. / Build Quality / Great Drive

Cedia - VFM / Great Drive

Fiesta Diesel - Great Build Quality / Frugal Fuel Consumption, Safe

Your Call

Cheers
Old 3rd February 2008, 11:17   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilb2008 View Post
And the Ford Fiesta sold here is not an American car. It is an Indian car made for Indian roads. Like the Ikon. It is not sold anywhere else in the world (I think so).
Its designed by Ford of Europe and sells like hot cakes there too. It has absolutely nothing American in it other than the ford badge.

Coming to the point... if you value safety and driving experience, not one other car comes close to the Cedia under ten lacs. The driving position is spot on and the driving dynamics are just perfect. The sports variant looks great as well and the 4G94 motor gives pretty good fuel economy (around 10 in the city). Mitsu service in bangalore is excellent and resale is not to be worried about if you intend to keep the car for a while. The only downer would probably be a not so supportive rear seat and lack of torque at absolutely low rpms. Check my ownership reports in case you wanna know more.

If you have a large family, I suggest you get a V spec innova. Yes its more expensive but its worth it. Its a lot more comfy in comparison (for everyone other than the driver), more space and drives really well for a big family van.

About the rest... I'd give Verna a pass. Its ridiculously overpriced for what it offers. Fiesta is a great car to drive. Again its a driver's car... especially the 1.6. The diesel 1.4 is underpowered though.

I'm not sure why the NHC should even be in this list. The VTEC has a nice engine. Other than that it has no virtues.

The Optra magnum LT is an excellent option if you could extend your budget by another lac. The engine is insanely good and comfort levels are awesome. However there's significant turbo lag and again its not a driver's car. Has really sad handling.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 3rd February 2008 at 11:21.
Old 3rd February 2008, 11:35   #8
Team-BHP Support

i really think you should decide between the innova and the cedia. if its only you driving and you have a family of 4 or less than the cedia it is. otherwise look at the innova. the mouthshut reports are basically bull****. the braking is good overall and nothing like what is mentioned on the ms report happens.
Old 3rd February 2008, 11:37   #9
Senior - BHPian

Here are your options:

If you are looking for a small car with a decent boot (and diesel economy to boot), go for the Get CRDi.

As for bigger cars, its a toss up between the SX4, Cedia & the NHC VTEC.

The NHC is due for an update in the not so distant future and the Cedia, though a great car, looks a bit outdated. I suggest you test drive each car and decide for yourself. Remember, your requirements are specific to you (and your fiance).
Old 3rd February 2008, 11:38   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
i really think you should decide between the innova and the cedia. if its only you driving and you have a family of 4 or less than the cedia it is. otherwise look at the innova. the mouthshut reports are basically bull****. the braking is good overall and nothing like what is mentioned on the ms report happens.
Cedia
I was just talking to my frnd on the phone and he was like Cedia is outdated and was suggesting to take the Honda City.
Is the Cedia a very old model by any chance.

Innova...i really like the high seating of the Innova for city driving.
Old 3rd February 2008, 11:44   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Try SX4-ZXi. It has the safety features you are looking for. It is within your budget. Good A**. Moreover, its a Maruti.

Take the TD of below and then decide: SX4/NHC/Innova/Skoda.
I dint know you could get a Skoda withing 10 Lakhs.
Which model?
Old 3rd February 2008, 12:21   #12
BHPian

Mods.
I dont see my posts, i know that you need to authorize them.
Do let me know, if my post had broken any TBHP rulez.
I dont think i made any offensive posts.
Old 3rd February 2008, 13:13   #13
VMG
BHPian

If you are going to drive by yourself, go for Cedia. It is a great car and VFM also. I am enjoying with my cedia for the last 3 moths.
Old 3rd February 2008, 13:25   #14
Senior - BHPian

If you are going to be driving in bad traffic everyday, you should consider auto transmission.

When you say good interiors, if you include ride comfort in that as well then Corolla is your best choice.

NHC has fantastic interiors. Very refined engine and is very easy to drive in traffic as well.

Cedia is the most fun to drive but rear seat isn't as comfortable for elderly people.

I would encourage you to read this thread as well.

Any particular reason, you aren't considering Optra Magnum ?
Old 3rd February 2008, 13:26   #15
BHPian

As you are keen on Airbags, include SX4 and Aveo LT Option pack to the list.

I think SX4 would meet your safety requirements.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks