Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2005, 15:30   #1
BHPian

Need Advice on used cars

Hi Frnds,

Finally looks like am settling down for a used Baleno or Honda City 1.5. I am looking at 2000 and onward models and with less than 40,000 Kms use. But before I started looking at some cars, I need some advice from you guys.

I request you all to let me know expected prices for used Baleno and City cars. That is:

2001 Baleno = ? 2000 City = ?
2002 Baleno = ? 2001 City = ?
2003 Baleno = ?

My budget is within 4.5 lakhs....

It would be helpful if you could also point out what I need to focus on when checking out a used Baleno/City.
sonic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2005, 16:20   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hi Sonic

You should be able to get your hands on a good Baleno VXi, 2003 model for around 4.5-4.75 lakhs. I have seen 2000 models retail for 2.75-3.00 lakhs, so you should get a fair idea of what is in store.

The City should retail for a higher price. Expect a 2000-2001 model, 1.5 Exi to retail in the 3.75-4.25 bracket.

Here's what you need to look out for in the 1.5 City

1. Make sure the bodyline is perfect. A repaint on a Honda City is easily visible, so make sure you see it under right light conditions.
2. Check for suspension wear. 40k+ kms generally is the starting point. A car with 45k on the clock and major suspension problems means the car has either been in an accident or has been driven badly. Walk away from such cars.
3. Look whether the car has been de-hypothecated. Check the papers thoroughly. Also look at the RC book to check if the colour is the same as stated in the book. The 1.5 is prone to getting re-painted in different colour than original. Bargain if you like the car. But better watch out for imperfections in paint job, it can be a nightmare later on. Also look whether the insurance is comprehensive or 3rd party. Bargain hard if the insurance cover has expired or about to expire.
4. The AC compressor in the 1.5 City is good, but known to have inconsistent performance, as in reliability. The compressor alone is worth 60k, so check it before buying it.
5. Take a qualified Honda or Maruti Mechanic while purchasing either car, they should be able to point out the work that needs to be carried out and the approximate cost of it. It'll cost you nothing more than 0.5k, but should help you save upto 4.5 lakhs of your hard-earned money.

Revv
Old 27th January 2005, 16:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

Also

6. Check if the gears slot in without trouble. Notchy gears means the car is in for clutch plate change. Bargain here too if the need be.
7. Engine generally doesnt have much problems. Gyrations means the cars has been driven very hard/not maintained well. Walk away from such cars.

Revv
Old 27th January 2005, 17:04   #4
BHPian

Thanks a lot for the advice, it'll definitely come in handy! But it looks like the prices you quoted are a little on the lower side, but this probably since you are in Mumbai. In B'lore, the prices are lil higher.....

I have 3 vehicles now:

1) I found a 2003 (July) Baleno Vxi with Maruti TrueValue. The car has run 13,000 Kms. TrueValue is quoting 5.25 as the last price. what do you think I should bargain for?

2) Automart has a 2001 Baleno, 55000 Kms run. They are quoting 4.5/4.25 I think. Wht do you think? I have heard that TrueValue is more reliable than the other dealers. Is this true? Any thoughts or advice on this?

3) 2001 Honda City 1.5 through Honda dealer. Kms not known, may be 1.3/1.5.....don't have complete details. they are asking 4.5....
Old 27th January 2005, 17:40   #5
Senior - BHPian

Dear sonic

I have personally seen True Value and for sure they fleece buyers and deny sellers the right price.

While they do offer a warranty plus a peace-of-mind feeling, they don't necessarily sell at what is "the right price."

My suggestion is to look carefully while buying one. For instance, look at a 4 lakh price at best for the 2001, 55k run car. Also ask Automart to furnish full service details for such a car. Such mileage generally means loads of tyre and suspension problems, provided they have already been attended to.

2004 VXi Baleno is available in Mumbai for 5.5 lakhs just to give you an idea.
Old 27th January 2005, 19:17   #6
BHPian

Hey Revv, I was talking abt the quality of the cars they sell. I know that all used car dealers try to take buyers and sellers for a ride....it's a business after all!

But I just wanted to know if I can go for a car offered by TrueValue without being afraid of being saddled with a car that's been in a accident or has some major defect.
Old 27th January 2005, 19:26   #7
BHPian

Hey sonic,

You might want to check out the following link from deepash

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2625

It contains an excellent summary of things to look for while going in for a second hand vehicle..

Cheers,
Manish.
Old 27th January 2005, 22:51   #8
Team-BHP Support

I saw a baleno altura 2002 advertised in one of those freemags for 5.5l negotiable
Old 28th January 2005, 13:11   #9
BHPian

Honda 1.3 should be really good buy. It was a lakh cheaper than the 1.5 so it should fit in your Budget
Old 30th January 2005, 20:21   #10
Team-BHP Support

also try whitefield honda - I know someone who bought a well maintained 1.5 auto for around 4.5l
Old 7th February 2005, 14:42   #11
BHPian

Guys,

A 2001 VTEC, done 55,000 Kms is for sale. The vehicle has been registered in B'lore and has a complete service record. The vehicle is being sold with a guarantee (no accidents, no major repairs etc). Asking price is 5.8 Lakhs.

Am going to take a look at the vehicle tomorrow. What do you think is the price range I should negotiate for, considering the vehicle is in good/average shape?

Thanks,
Nitin
Old 9th January 2021, 19:54   #12
BHPian

Re: Need Advice on used cars

HI Friends,

I am amongst those who are inclined to to buy a preowned car which would have been out of limits otherwise, to satisfy the urgings of the heart. I am thinking of taking the preowned route to drive a solidly built, fun to drive, good handling D segment vehicle. I am willing to spend up to 08 lacs, and can afford around 50 Ks annually on maintenance. Volkswagen Jettq manual, skoda yeti and 1.8 laura TSi manual seem to fit the bill, though I would love to own a skoda octavia combi(station wagons are my first love) or a volvo, most
Need your valuable inputs. Thanks
Old 14th January 2021, 22:46   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawad0222 View Post
HI Friends,

I am thinking of taking the preowned route to drive a solidly built, fun to drive, good handling D segment vehicle. I am willing to spend up to 08 lacs, and can afford around 50 Ks annually on maintenance. Volkswagen Jettq manual, skoda yeti and 1.8 laura TSi manual seem to fit the bill, though I would love to own a skoda octavia combi(station wagons are my first love) or a volvo, most
Need your valuable inputs. Thanks
In India its not a common sight to see a Station Wagon. Even if you are able to find one, not sure about the care taken by the earlier owner's.

Considering your budget, I suggest a later model (2014-16) Jetta Comfortline / Highline Diesel Manual since you are looking for a manual. These are beasts to drive and the feedback what you get from the vehicle while driving is unbeatable and can't be compared with any other vehicle in D segment other than a Laura TSI. Suggest you to look at Jetta when compared to the age of the Laura. Definitely you can source a good vehicle from the NCR region within this budget and ensure to check the vehicle history. Most of these vehicles are run anywhere between 60k-120k KMS and need to keep atleast 40-50k for annual maintennace.

All the best for your search.
vasanthjn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2021, 00:56   #14
BHPian

Dear Vasanthjn, thanks for your valuable advise. Shall keep your inputs in mind while searching for THE car. Regards
Old 2nd September 2021, 00:14   #15
BHPian

Hi folks,

Need an advice on used car purchase in Delhi NCR.

I am looking for a used sedan, for use as second car in the family. Will mostly do city runs, and occassional highway long runs.

I don't want to spend too much, so have finalised my budget as 4 lakhs.

I am getting two good cars in this range.

The first is a Ford Aspire, 2017 Trend variant, run 35k, with service history.

The second one is a Linea T Jet Emotion, 2016 variant, run around 32k, also with service history.

I have finalised on these two, as my concerns are safety during highway runs, decent boot space for highway runs, and also decent leg/ head space at the back, as we are a family of tall folks.

Which one would you guys advise?

Regards

Most Viewed