Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2008, 13:39   #31
BHPian

Many people do not need boot and they just want to show that they drive a luxury C Segment car. In this case this segment of people should really stretch and get a premium C Segment sedan car like SX4 / NHC / Optra / Civic / Corolla depending on budget as these are true C Segment cars. DZire is an entry level segment. After some time when the new car fever goes down, then DZire will feel like having spent 5.5 to 6.5 lacs still having laid your hands on an entry level sedan. These people will just not be able to feel that satisfaction.

For people on tight budget, DZire would however fit perfectly and they will go for it.

However Swift is in the premium hatch segement and it is in highest category of its segment and is considered higher than Santros, WagonRs and others.

Besides Swift is already a Global Brand. Check this out -

http://swift-power.com/INTowners.html

DZire is still new.

Although Maruti has made a good attempt at adding a boot to the Swift but still it does not gives a really sedan look but whereas Swift's attitude and forward looking stylish glance, confident looks really stands out.

Although DZire will have still lower average than Swift in terms of fuel consumption at approx 10-11 kmpl still many people IMO will not let this bother them.
Attached Thumbnails
Dzire or Swift?-swiftglobal-swiftpower.com.jpg  

Old 8th April 2008, 10:00   #32
BHPian

well i think you should decide on a CNG option. driven a bit of my friends CNG, and there is no doubt some kill in the accelereation, but it barely makes a difference in the city, and it catches good speeds on the highway maybe a second or two slower than the petrol.
personally i was not really impressed by the look of the Dzire. The swift has got a european hatchback look, something which is a little futuristic with the rounded short front. now you add a boot to the rear and it becomes a hash!
Old 9th April 2008, 11:17   #33
BHPian

Thanks a lot for your feedback guys!

Would be taking the final decision soon and keep you all updated.

Cheers,
Monaro
Old 11th April 2008, 00:29   #34
BHPian

I'd say go for swift if u have a passion for cars and have some taste. Or buy the Dzire if u have no taste for design and want to buy it just because you are getting more for less.
I mean just look at the design of the Dzire, swift design was perfect for a sporty looking hatch, just a set of nice rims and the car would look no less than a rally car, and then Maruti adds a crappy looking boot to a good looking car and it has a huge demand. Looking at a dzire on the road is enough to spoil my mood for a good couple of hours, heck it even makes the Indigo look sexy. No offence to people who have already bought it, its just my opinion
Old 27th May 2013, 11:40   #35

Which car, Swift or DZire?

Disclaimer - This being my first post i woul like to apologize if i may have made any mistakes or if the post seems too long, just wanted to give each and every details out, for the experts to have the info they need.

Hi Experts,

I am planning to buy a new petrol car in the price range of 6-7 Lacs and for a month now I have been going through all the reviews on Team-BHP with regards to hatchbacks category, so as to make an informed decision. Finally I have narrowed it down to the Swift ZXI and DZire VXI and now I am in desperate need for all your expert opinions and feedback to put this case to rest and help me get the best car suited to my needs.

So here is the complete breakdown of the story-

My driving Profile

I am a single 5'6 feet guy and a first time manual car driver. The car will be just for me and my soon-to-be-wife for mainly city driving and the occasional weekend getaways.

The reason for a petrol car

I won't be running the car for more than 1K kilometers a month, so i calculated my running cost vis-a-vis my savings per year, which were a mere 30-35K annually. Thus, for me to break even in terms of savings I will have to keep the car for at least 3-4 years, only after which i will be actually saving on anything. Plus me being a first time driver didn't want to get in to the complications arising with a diesel car after some years down the line. Hence, the choice for petrol was made.

Pro's and Con's of the two cars

Swift ZXI
Cost - 7 Lacs OTR

Pros - Very positive steering feedback and offers a very planted feel on the road, Drivers seat height adjustment, Fully fold-able back seats, Comes with all the bells and whistles of a top end variant for example, ABS+EBD+Airbags etc. thus making it a more safer option, bigger tires and alloys, Exceptional resale value, Great after sales support, Easy maintenance.

Cons - I don't like the all black interiors + the small back seat windows it gives a claustrophobic feeling, Legroom at the back isn't the greatest, The boot is super small and has a very high loading stance making it awkward.

DZire VXI

Cost - 6.65 Lacs OTR

Pros - Me and my fiance are a big fan of the all beige interiors, More comfortable than the swift due to softer suspensions thus more ideal for city driving, A decent boot at least for airport runs, More Legroom compared to the swift, Cheaper than the Swift ZXI, A class above the hatchback category, Exceptional resale value, Great after sales support, Easy maintenance.

Cons - No ABS+EBD+Airbags etc, thus less safer than the swift, little more bodyroll than the Swift, highway performance not at par with the Swift.

Where i am confused

I feel the swift is the more safer car with better features out of the two, however I am more inclined towards the DZire with the all beige interiors. Now I have already stretched my budget to the maximum, so the DZire ZXI is out of the question.

I have TD all the main contenders in the hatchback category and only the brio came close. However left it out as I want a car with a better resale value and after sales network. The Hyundai's were left out as we already have a i10 and i20 with my cousins and they are pretty costly in terms of after sales maintenance.

Now i would like your expert opinions on whether i should invest in the top end Swift and live with the all black interiors or take the VFM DZire. Would i really need the ABS+EBD+Airbags mainly for city driving with a weekend or two a month on the highway? All the people i asked were like, "90% of all the cars you see on our roads don't have ABS, so it is not needed". Hence i thought better get the right advise from the experts.

FYI, I would be upgrading the tires on both the cars that would be an additional 12k for Swift and 10K for DZire. In the Dzire, I would also be upgrading the stock music system, so that is another 15k i guess. SO cost wise the Dzire would be on par with the Swift ZXI.

So please advise as i am desperately stuck in this dilemma and i need to book in the car at the earliest to get the delivery on the 10th of June.

Thank you in advance for all the help, it means a lot and i appreciate the effort
**r1d3r** is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2013, 11:56   #36
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which car, Swift or DZire?

Better get the one with the ABS+EBD+Airbags, though the car is meant for city use as the need would definitely arrive to take it for a spin on the highway several times in future. Between Swift and Dzire, if you consider the Dzire also as a hatch because the boot of the new Dzire is not big in real terms of the term and could be considered as a hatch itself.. So Dzire it should be.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2013, 12:24   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by **r1d3r** View Post
I am planning to buy a new petrol car in the price range of 6-7 Lacs and for a month now I have been going through all the reviews on Team-BHP with regards to hatchbacks category, so as to make an informed decision. Finally I have narrowed it down to the Swift ZXI and DZire VXI and now I am in desperate need for all your expert opinions and feedback to put this case to rest and help me get the best car suited to my needs.
I would neither suggest Swift nor DZire for a first time driver. The Swift has small ~204 L boot space (I guess), which would be surely inadequate for your weekend trip. The DZire's boot space is hardly any better for sedan standards, though. Plus, the DZire's rear view is pathetic and would be a pain to reverse the car.

Quote:
The reason for a petrol car
I would have also suggested you the same.

Quote:
I have TD all the main contenders in the hatchback category and only the brio came close.
Brio is a great car, bud.
+ Honda's reliability and quality
+ Excellent (best in class) rear view and drivability
+ Sweet 1.2L revv-happy engine
+ Nicely packaged interiors (to liberate space)
+ Composed high speed handling
- Interiors might feel to edgy/tacky
- Rear view is a love me or hate me design. I love it, though.
- Small boot than the competition

At around 5L, the SMT makes for the perfect VFM car you can get.

Quote:
However left it out as I want a car with a better resale value and after sales network.
Who says Honda has bad resale value?

Quote:
The Hyundai's were left out as we already have a i10 and i20 with my cousins and they are pretty costly in terms of after sales maintenance.
You can also wait for the upcoming i10.

Quote:
All the people i asked were like, "90% of all the cars you see on our roads don't have ABS, so it is not needed". Hence i thought better get the right advise from the experts.
I would say, if you can get ABS and Airbag equipped car well within your budget, then do not compromise these life saving features. 'Musibat bata ke nahi aati'!

Quote:
FYI, I would be upgrading the tires on both the cars that would be an additional 12k for Swift and 10K for DZire. In the Dzire, I would also be upgrading the stock music system, so that is another 15k i guess. SO cost wise the Dzire would be on par with the Swift ZXI.
If you want to upgrade tyres of your next car, it would be a welcome move. But, AFAIK, Swift ZXi comes with 185 section tyres, which are adequate for a car of this size. Also, DZire's stock HU is best-in-class. It offers acceptable bass even with stock speakers. so, I don't think you will feel the need of upgrading after you listen to the SQ.

Quote:
So please advise as i am desperately stuck in this dilemma and i need to book in the car at the earliest to get the delivery on the 10th of June.
My advice-
1. If you want to go for Maruti Swift/DZire only (which you have specified earlier), then Swift ZXi would be a better bet of the two. You will be missing beige interiors and bigger boot only. Still, if you want that boot, consider Amaze SMT instead of DZire VXi. Almost same features with a better look and boot. Plus, you won't get a Maruti car before 10th June, IMO! (Waiting period)
2. Leave Maruti cars aside. You have many other options, including the Brio V, Beat LT, Liva G/V. I would say Liva G out of the above as it has a better boot (251L).
3. If I was in your place, I would have got the i20 Magna Option. Loaded with features to the brim. So, consider it and have a TD.

Sorry for confusing you. I think i20 is the best!
Loud is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2013, 12:37   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Better get the one with the ABS+EBD+Airbags, though the car is meant for city use as the need would definitely arrive to take it for a spin on the highway several times in future. Between Swift and Dzire, if you consider the Dzire also as a hatch because the boot of the new Dzire is not big in real terms of the term and could be considered as a hatch itself.. So Dzire it should be.
Rajeev you have said yes to the ABS+EBD+Airbags option, as well as the DZire?? I can have either the safety features in the Swift or the DZire without the safety features. That is the dilemma to begin with unfortunately :(
Old 27th May 2013, 13:50   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud View Post
My advice-
1. If you want to go for Maruti Swift/DZire only (which you have specified earlier), then Swift ZXi would be a better bet of the two. You will be missing beige interiors and bigger boot only. Still, if you want that boot, consider Amaze SMT instead of DZire VXi. Almost same features with a better look and boot. Plus, you won't get a Maruti car before 10th June, IMO! (Waiting period)
2. Leave Maruti cars aside. You have many other options, including the Brio V, Beat LT, Liva G/V. I would say Liva G out of the above as it has a better boot (251L).
3. If I was in your place, I would have got the i20 Magna Option. Loaded with features to the brim. So, consider it and have a TD.

Sorry for confusing you. I think i20 is the best!
Thank you for your honest feedback Loud, appreciate the same . Now regarding Brio, I checked in for some aftermarket parts for the same and nothing was available readily, whereas for the Swift and DZire everything was available in the store itself. Also i checked online and offline and found that the resale value commanded by Swift and DZire are much higher as there is a strong demand for both these cars in used car market. Hence left out Brio.

Now regarding the i20, i agree that it is a feature loaded car, however i found the following negative points with the car:
( - ) High maintenance cost.
( - ) Sluggish petrol performance as compared to the Swift.
( - ) Low mileage than the swift.
( - ) Not par ride quality and stability with the Swift on highways.
( - ) the fact that my very close cousin has the same car.

Due to these factors I considered the Swift ZXI and the DZire and as I think you make a valid point about the ABS+EBD+Airbags feature. However if i chose to go with the DZire, would a sedate driving style help me in making up for the lack of safety features?

And the Swift ZXI does have adequate sized tyres, however read on our forums that these should be upgraded to better quality tyres as the stock tyres are MRF ZVTS, hence checked with Premji's Tyreplus on a tyre upgrade too
Old 27th May 2013, 19:59   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for your honest feedback Loud, appreciate the same . Now regarding Brio, I checked in for some aftermarket parts for the same and nothing was available readily, whereas for the Swift and DZire everything was available in the store itself. Also i checked online and offline and found that the resale value commanded by Swift and DZire are much higher as there is a strong demand for both these cars in used car market. Hence left out Brio.
+1. Maruti cars have superior resale value. BTW for how much time do you wish to own the car? If it is 6+ years, then leave resale and make other features a priority.
You have mentioned that the car should be delivered by June 10. With Maruti cars (Swift and DZire esp.) you will face waiting periods, as long as 6 months. You can also check out the Ritz: Strong resale value, better space than Swift, lower price than Swift as well as easy to drive than the Swift.

Quote:
Now regarding the i20, i agree that it is a feature loaded car, however i found the following negative points with the car:
( - ) High maintenance cost.
( - ) Sluggish petrol performance as compared to the Swift.
( - ) Low mileage than the swift.
( - ) Not par ride quality and stability with the Swift on highways.
( - ) the fact that my very close cousin has the same car.
Okay. No problem, so let us not consider that now.

Quote:
However if i chose to go with the DZire, would a sedate driving style help me in making up for the lack of safety features?
I have these golden words for you-
You will drive safe. Right? What about the oncoming vehicle, eh?

Quote:
And the Swift ZXI does have adequate sized tyres, however read on our forums that these should be upgraded to better quality tyres as the stock tyres are MRF ZVTS, hence checked with Premji's Tyreplus on a tyre upgrade too
Yes, the MRFs need to be upgraded to better quality tyres. Check out Yoko A Drives. Sorry for the confusion, I thought you are planning to upgrade to 195 section tyres.

----------

My friend, you are totally confused now, IMO.
Leave everything aside. Pen down your requirements and shortlist the cars in your budget. Every car has its own pros and cons, nothing is perfect. You have to zero down on the car whose pros would be your finalising criteria (priority) and you will have to live with and accept the cons of the vehicle.

As I can see, you have an approx. budget of around 6 Lacs. You want ABS, Airbags and EBD for a safe ride. So, rule out the sedans and switch to hatchbacks as you will find most of these features in top end variants of entry level sedans, which would eat away close to 7 Lacs. Stick only to hatchbacks. Also, since you are a new driver, you will also look at the 'Easy to drive' factor.
Now, you want good boot space for your weekend trips. With good, I mean more than ~204 Liters, which the Swift has, I presume. In addition to that, you want good resale value, right?
So, the shortlisted brands are, IMO-
Maruti, Hyundai, Honda, Toyota and Chevrolet also to some extent.

The cars shortlisted and the cons of each would be-
Maruti Ritz ZXi (Medium sized boot, Poor rear visibility, rear design, lacks features when compared to Swift)
Maruti Swift ZXi (Small boot space, Rear visibility, Claustrophobic feel at the back)
Hyundai i10 Asta (Top end variant lacks several features, bouncy ride at the back)
Honda Brio V (or VX, am I right?) (Looks are subjective, Small boot, Rear glass hatch)
Toyota Liva G SP (central mounted console is not favoured by all, looks a bit simple when compared to modern day hatchbacks like Swift, No tachometer!)
Chevrolet Beat LT Option (Small boot, too edgy styling, not so comfortable at the rear seat)

So, rule out Beat, Swift and Brio due to the small boot space(170 L is pathetic)! Next, remove the i10 as the Asta variant is not at all VFM, and there's one i10 in your family.

Now, have a thorough TD of Etios Liva and Ritz, and then decide.
My views: The Etios Liva G SP is better of the two. It comes with all safety features you want in the mid variant and you will save some money by not going for top end variant. It is more spacious than Ritz and has bigger boot, standing at 251L. The ex-showroom is under 5.5L (here in Delhi) and you can spend the rest of the money in adding better tyres, alloys, subwoofer, etc. The Liva comes with OEM Music system also.
Do check out Toyota website. There is plenty of fun you can do with the 'Make your car' feature. You can individually select accessories you want for your car.
Loud is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2013, 13:22   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud View Post
----------
The cars shortlisted and the cons of each would be-
Maruti Ritz ZXi (Medium sized boot, Poor rear visibility, rear design, lacks features when compared to Swift)
Maruti Swift ZXi (Small boot space, Rear visibility, Claustrophobic feel at the back)
Toyota Liva G SP (central mounted console is not favoured by all, looks a bit simple when compared to modern day hatchbacks like Swift, No tachometer!)

Now, have a thorough TD of Etios Liva and Ritz, and then decide.
My views: The Etios Liva G SP is better of the two. It comes with all safety features you want in the mid variant and you will save some money by not going for top end variant. It is more spacious than Ritz and has bigger boot, standing at 251L. The ex-showroom is under 5.5L (here in Delhi) and you can spend the rest of the money in adding better tyres, alloys, subwoofer, etc. The Liva comes with OEM Music system also.
Do check out Toyota website. There is plenty of fun you can do with the 'Make your car' feature. You can individually select accessories you want for your car.
Loud that is some seriously detailed piece of advice, thank you for jotting all that down for me

Now i did take the TD of Ritz and quite frankly I didn't like the bouncy feeling on the back seat, as well as the my left knee kept hitting a part of the console due to some angle. The Ritz also lost out on the looks department big time due to its rear end styling. The Ritz is a super VFM choice, but i don't think i would be going down that road.

I have been trying to get the TD for the Liva however have not been to get that on the previous 3 times already, have set up a TD again today let's see what happens.

Now Loud i just wanted to share with you that my weekend drives won't amount to much luggage, just a couple of bags i guess, so the big boot is not a strong factor in considering the car. What i want more than anything is driving pleasure with better interiors. That is what drove me towards the Dzire, as i was getting the gem of a K-12 engine with better interiors than the Swift
**r1d3r** is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2013, 15:17   #42
BANNED

Re: Dzire or Swift?

The car with ABS & Airbags are any day better even if they are hatch backs. Recently i saw an accident between M800 & Vento HL, Vento released both of it's airbags to save the driver & passenger with just broken bumber. But the M800 had lost half of it's size and not known about the people traveled
Old 29th May 2013, 09:29   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Loud that is some seriously detailed piece of advice, thank you for jotting all that down for me
Your most welcome, buddy!

Quote:
Now i did take the TD of Ritz and quite frankly I didn't like the bouncy feeling on the back seat, as well as the my left knee kept hitting a part of the console due to some angle. The Ritz also lost out on the looks department big time due to its rear end styling. The Ritz is a super VFM choice, but i don't think i would be going down that road.
I also agree that Ritz looks bland in terms of features when you compare it with the Swift, more so in VXi/VDi variants. But, do not totally remove it from your mind. Better keep it as an option. To be true, you always don't get the perfect car for you, sometimes you get the car you had never wished to own. For eg- Me! I had never ever thought in my lifetime that I would get a Skoda!

Quote:
I have been trying to get the TD for the Liva however have not been to get that on the previous 3 times already, have set up a TD again today let's see what happens.
You can check out cars' of your friends/colleages, if they have and are ready to let you drive for some kms.

Quote:
big boot is not a strong factor
driving pleasure with better interiors.
Okay. These two things can be a gamechanger. You don't want a big boot. But, I hope you don't want as small a boot which the Swift offers, which IMO is more form than function. But, don't expect Marutis to be delivered in less than a month's time. There are long waiting periods for both Ritz and Swift.

Quote:
That is what drove me towards the Dzire, as i was getting the gem of a K-12 engine with better interiors than the Swift
I also own a DZire, the VDi variant. At that time, I had stretched my budget from 5.5 Lacs to 7 Lacs for it. The DZire is now a strong contender since the boot it offers is of the perfect size. Trust me, the rear seat comfort is mind-boggling! The seat is reclined like a sofa and the material used is also soft. The engine is a, not to mention, gem. The looks might be quirky to some, but I feel it is okay for a Maruti of the size at this price!

Let me compare it in detail for you-

DZIRE VS LIVA FACE-OFF

DZire ZXi Cost
- around Rs. 660000 (Ex Showroom)
Liva G SP Cost- around Rs. 550000 (Ex Showroom)

DZire Pros-
+ Maruti reliability and after-sales
+ Excellent rear seat comfort
+ Offers superior drivability in city
+ Comes loaded with features (even better than Swift)
+Beige and Black interiors look premium

DZire Cons-
- No safety features in the mid VXi variant
- Quirky styling of the boot
- Smaller boot than competition
- Rearward visibility is very limited

Liva Pros-
+ Toyota reliability and after-sales
+ Spacious than most hatchbacks
+ Drivability in city
+ Features like height adjustable seat, ABS, Airbags,etc. in the mid variant itself
+ New beige interiors improve cabin feel to some extent
+ Excellent rear visibility aids during parking

Liva Cons-
- Looks might not be as modern as its competitors
- Lacks basic equipment like tachometer in the mid variant
- Centrally placed Meter console divides opinions

Of these, you have to take your pick and decide.
DZire offers better looks, interiors, quality, ride, comfort than the Liva.
Liva offers better drivability for newbie drivers, boot space (compared to hatchback standards) and same safety features at a saving of Rs. 100000 over the DZire.

I would suggest you to go for Etios Liva. You are a newbie driver. You will get the car for around ~6 Lacs on-road. You can select the accessories from here-
http://www.toyotamakemycar.in/
Old 29th May 2013, 10:42   #44

[quote=Loud;3134373]
DZIRE VS LIVA FACE-OFF

DZire ZXi Cost
- around Rs. 660000 (Ex Showroom)
Liva G SP Cost- around Rs. 550000 (Ex Showroom)

DZire Pros-
+ Maruti reliability and after-sales
+ Excellent rear seat comfort
+ Offers superior drivability in city
+ Comes loaded with features (even better than Swift)
+Beige and Black interiors look premium

DZire Cons-
- No safety features in the mid VXi variant
- Quirky styling of the boot
- Smaller boot than competition
- Rearward visibility is very limited

Liva Pros-
+ Toyota reliability and after-sales
+ Spacious than most hatchbacks
+ Drivability in city
+ Features like height adjustable seat, ABS, Airbags,etc. in the mid variant itself
+ New beige interiors improve cabin feel to some extent
+ Excellent rear visibility aids during parking

Liva Cons-
- Looks might not be as modern as its competitors
- Lacks basic equipment like tachometer in the mid variant
- Centrally placed Meter console divides opinions

Of these, you have to take your pick and decide.
DZire offers better looks, interiors, quality, ride, comfort than the Liva.
Liva offers better drivability for newbie drivers, boot space (compared to hatchback standards) and same safety features at a saving of Rs. 100000 over the DZire.

Loud
, thank you for covering both these cars and their pros and cons in detail, appreciate that

Now I finally test drove the Liva yesterday evening and here is what i like and don't like with the car:

Very spacious, the best among hatchbacks, period.
Short-throw type gear box, very handy.
Good suspension and no bouncy feeling at the back, even on bad roads.
Big boot.

Dislikes:
Even though it had two-tone interior still doesn't match up to the DZire, in fact it feels a bit gloomy in there.
The instrument console being in the center was super irritating, i had to take my eyes off the road completely for a while just to see the RPM as it is placed in the left side corner of the super big console.
Lacks punch in the mid/top end torque, the car feels as if being dragged around literally when compared to the DZire.
The car feels like a hovercraft at high speeds, like it would just fly away with a strong cross wind, on the other hand the DZire feels very planted even on highway speeds.

So after considering all that you have said about the DZire and taking a TD of the Liva, I have finally decided to go with the DZire. As you right said "DZire offers better looks, interiors, quality, ride, comfort than the Liva." and that is exactly what i am looking for in a car So i would like to thank you for taking the time and sharing your expert opinions with me. BTW I have decided to go with the DZire Regal.

Now I know I am pestering you, but could please suggest/direct me as to should we have an undercoat painting done, paint sealant, engine sealant done, etc for a new car?

What would you suggest as required for a new car and do alloys offer only style or do they really aid in driveability?

Thanks a lot.
Old 29th May 2013, 10:47   #45
BHPian

Re: Dzire or Swift?

In my opinion Swift makes better sense. If driving pleasure and interiors are the main requirements, it is very much clear that Swift is a better option here. The steering, chassis and the handling is just amazing in the new Swift!. The black and grey interiors add to that sporty feeling. This combined with the Fiat's 1.3 litre MJD is just amazing. The Multijet engine is just a gem of an engine. The way this engine is tuned by Maruti engineers is perfect for this car!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks