Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2008, 15:06   #1
BHPian

SX4 ZXI or Fusion Plus Petrol?

Hi and I did not know whether to put this under Sedans or Hatchbacks section, because I am trying to decide between the SX4 and Ford Fusion Plus. I have test driven both and the performance appeared fairly close between th two. The feature list is almost the same - except that SX4 additionally has air bags and climate control, and of course a megaboot. The back seat in SX4 seems too bad and the showroom is yet to tell me a way to straighten it up; the visibility is a concern too.

Mileage for both seems to be close and the overall finish seems better in Fusion+, and it is cheaper by about 70K.

I hear the A.S.S. is not so good in Ford, but wonder if it is reasonable in Hyderabad and if it is really expensive and needs lot of part replacements. I drive just about 250 KM each month mostly in city (with some narrow lanes too), save an occasional trip or two per year over the highways. I intend to keep the car for as long as I can and fully drive it myself.

I am not stuck up on a sedan/boot, but most travel is with whole family.

I have been racking my brains on this for a while and hope to get some opinions that will help stop the balance from swinging.

Thanks.
Old 13th May 2008, 19:34   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass View Post
Hi and I did not know whether to put this under Sedans or Hatchbacks section, because I am trying to decide between the SX4 and Ford Fusion Plus. I have test driven both and the performance appeared fairly close between th two. The feature list is almost the same - except that SX4 additionally has air bags and climate control, and of course a megaboot. The back seat in SX4 seems too bad and the showroom is yet to tell me a way to straighten it up; the visibility is a concern too.

Mileage for both seems to be close and the overall finish seems better in Fusion+, and it is cheaper by about 70K.

I hear the A.S.S. is not so good in Ford, but wonder if it is reasonable in Hyderabad and if it is really expensive and needs lot of part replacements. I drive just about 250 KM each month mostly in city (with some narrow lanes too), save an occasional trip or two per year over the highways. I intend to keep the car for as long as I can and fully drive it myself.

I am not stuck up on a sedan/boot, but most travel is with whole family.

I have been racking my brains on this for a while and hope to get some opinions that will help stop the balance from swinging.

Thanks.
Hmmmmm....A very very tough decision...A.S.S differs from service dealers...It depends upon the number of members in your family...If its below 5 members then the SX4 should do not to forget with that big boot it can also hold humongous luggage.....But i think reversing should be a problem with SX4 especially due to its highly raised boot and rear visibility should also be limited....not driven the SX4 but this is what i feel personally...On the other hand the Ford Fusion should also do good but i heard its not that refined..the ride is a bit harsh...and those plastic interiors don't make up for that huge amount of money you're throwing to Ford...But if its a family of above 5 members then Fusion should do....But the final verdict is the SX4...Far better than the Fusion especially because of its value for money...You should also consider the resale value (in case you're going to be selling it in another 2-3 years)the SX4 even here has better resale value than Ford Fusion...But make a wise choice...I would recommend the SX4...Cheers...cheers:
Old 14th May 2008, 00:26   #3
BHPian

Thanks Kaush. I actually thought any of these cars takes 5 people - no more. And SX4 probably takes only 4 with the hump on back seat. I actually found the Fusion interiors better than SX4 - you might disagree.
I will keep the car for long, so no worries on resale. Makes it a little tougher, isn't it?
Old 14th May 2008, 00:34   #4
BHPian

I see there is another thread here on this:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...s-sx4-zxi.html

But much water has flown since then and now there is a Fusion+
Old 14th May 2008, 07:56   #5
Senior - BHPian

I tst Drove Fusion Petrol, Diesel and SX4, before putting stamp on SX4.

Fusion +:

Cons

1. Pathetic Service
2. Poor parts availability.
3. Bare bones at the cost of 7 ex show
4. Not a sedan, confused look (Very personal, though I like the look, but family think otherwise).
5. Less boot space as compared to SX4
Pros:

1. Superb Seating position.
2. SUV like driver view
3. 1.6 is powerull engine and driver's delight
4. Excellent GC, 190+
5. ABS and Alloys

For SX4:

Cons
1. Cheap Plastic, both interior and exterior
2. wide gaps in panels
3. So its more fit and finish and nothing else

Pros.

1. Fully loaded, Alloy, In Dash Music System, ABS, Airbags etc etc
2. Engine is almost powerful as Fusion. but I will still rate Fusion better.
3. Better service network
4. Loads of spaces
5. Excellent CG 190.
6. Very good driving position.
5. Steering Adjustment.

I might have missed few things, as I am feeling sleepy after working whole night

So I see it all goes in favor of SX4. As about rear visibility, its not that bad once get accustomed to it. And Reverse sensors solves the problem completely.
Old 14th May 2008, 08:35   #6
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

hi
since you clearly wish to buy a petrol car, then I do believe the SX4 ZXI is better.
However, in case you are interested, I could suggest you try the Fusion Plus Diesel with ABS - Ford usually has a deal of the month where you get several freebies (from the dealers themselves.)
cheers
Old 14th May 2008, 08:47   #7
Senior - BHPian

SX4 all the way, no comparison between the 2 as SX4 is fully loaded and also offers better resale and looks I feel.
Old 14th May 2008, 08:54   #8
BANNED

My Vote goes for SX4 !!!
Old 14th May 2008, 09:00   #9
Senior - BHPian

My take:
Since the two are competing so closely in your assessment, what should clinch it in favour of SX4 is the after sales support and total cost of ownership.
Driving in congested lanes etc. will take its toll by way of nicks & cuts. Getting anything fixed on the Fusion will fix the car but will leave big nicks & cuts in your wallet.
Old 14th May 2008, 09:17   #10
BHPian

@Glass
As you say it is going to be a very very tough decision but the favor is always on SX4's side...So I would recommend you to stick to the SX4. Since I also own a Maruti Suzuki Alto lx I ahve experienced the after sales support of Maruti. I would rate it 9/10..So its your choice then. Make a wise decision. Cheers
Old 14th May 2008, 09:26   #11
Senior - BHPian

The Sx4 is the best bet among the two. Fusion 1.6 is a good car but its A** and resale arent upto the mark. As other members pointed out the Cons of Sx4 are mainly interior trim and reversing . Its got all the goodies at around 8 lacs. And with Maruti tag im sure it ll be piece of mind! Cheers!
Old 14th May 2008, 11:14   #12
Senior - BHPian

please drive the two back to back- in hyd even the dealers are back to back - Varun motors and Metro Ford at Minister road junction

I tested both the cars about 8 months back (no Fusion + then) while looking for a new car and found the Fusion a far better drive- better cornering, better pick up and better build.

the SX4 has more toys but the car is not really fun to drive IMO- keep in mind that at that point of time I was driving a baleno, and the SX4 comes nowhere close to that beauty in FTD factor.

Maruti A.S.S. in hyd is a mixed bag- I had a good experience with Saboo (RKS) but Varun and Mithra are quite pathetic.

So take your pick.
Old 14th May 2008, 11:36   #13
BHPian

I was in a similar dilemna for many days although my choice was between the sx4 and the fiesta but the points to consider were similar (maruti vs ford). I also wanted to keep the car for a longer period so the resale value was not of much concern. The only thing that I was worried about was the maintenance costs of the ford.

Ford is offering an extended 4 year warranty and they also have a total maintenance plan which covers all costs of repairs(unless they are accidental) for 3 years or 30,000 KM.

After considering these options I decided to go for the fiesta(booked it yesterday) as it wins hands down in terms of driving pleasure and build quality as compared to sx4 in my opinion. So I think the ford will make a good buy with the total maintenance plan.
Old 14th May 2008, 11:36   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Allow me to add a twist to the story. If you search in the forum there is a thread on problems related to SX4. So why don't you look at the following too?

Chevy Aveo ( only issue could be the notchy gearing, A.S.S is supposedly improving a lot)
Swift Petrol ( Good nippy car to drive, cramped interiors, saves you lot of money)
Renualt Logan ( Decent Car, good interior space)
Ford Fiesta Petrol ( Lovely drivers car, A.S.S supposedly a problem but talk to owners in Hyderabad)
Fiat Palio ( Awesome drivers car)
Getz Petrol ( Loads of interior space)

So broaden your horizon and test drive all of them and go with your heart.
Old 14th May 2008, 13:05   #15
BHPian

Thanks guys, this is wonderful advice. But allow me to stretch if further and you will notice I will side with the underdog at least for the argument.

@mobike008
I zeroed upon FF+ and SX4 because I am fond of a higher driving position - creeping into the front or rear seats is an absolute no no . Most sedans go out of the list here.

@Zuch
Congratulations on your Fiesta.
Yes, I am including the cost of 4 year extended warranty into the Ford vehicle cost by default. My worry will be from year 5. I have written to Ford on their take on this and asked for a list of spares cost. I want to pitch this against SX4 and see how much more expensive is it in % terms. But do you think the break-downs in Ford vehicles are higher than SX?
I also read that Ford will open up more dealerships soon, need to see what tricks the new Ford MD has up his sleeve.

@himanshugoswami
Yes, I drove both and I too felt the FF+ is a tad better. FF+ definitely gives a better feel of control, and I did feel I was carrying a drum behind on SX4. I read that low speed ride is jumpy in both so they cancel each other out (any one who drove both please comment on the difference in ride quality if any - thanks).
And btw, FF+ has all the toys now, except for balloons to play with (I mean the air bags) and climate control.

@karanraheja
Resale - not much concern for me. A.S.S. is where it will hurt.

@anupmathur
Agree on nicks and cuts . Wonder if the Fusion will have less of them in the lanes compared to SX4?

@vkochar
Looks, imho are subjective. SX fully loaded - FF+ is close except air bags. Music system didn't impress me, I am fine with an A/C than climate control.

@shankar.balan
Diesel won't be value for me. Actually for my limited running, the interest cost on initial investment more or less compensates for the petrol cost. And isn't there too much difference in power (bhp - 68 diesel and 101 petrol).

@rkbharat
Now fully loaded FF+ petrol is less than 7 OTR (about 70-80K less than SX4). It's got all the bells of SX4 except the one or two I mentioned above. And I rarely will get to use the boot (once or twice an year).
I have the same effort in explaining the family Fusion is not a truck

So it looks like A.S.S. and maintenance costs will be key for a decision.

Please keep the arguments coming. No I don't work for Ford but am siding with the underdog and going against popular thought for now to make sure I am not missing an undervalued pick
So if you want to fire me, shoot!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks