Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2008, 16:31   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Hey Godspeed, The Santro is one of the best cars for Tall Drivers, so if you are uncomfortable with that, then the Swift is not really going to solve the problem as far as I Know.

Someone else who is this tall here and has a Swift might be able to help you with that.

I know Swift does not have height adjustable seats except for the ZXi. WHich one are you getting ?
i am getting the vdi does this diesel model have the adjustable height thing and can you adjust the sterinig wheel like up and down?
Old 8th June 2008, 16:37   #32
BHPian

Please gimme the name of 6'3 guy who owns the swift that would be a great help
Old 8th June 2008, 16:50   #33
BHPian

The Birbal Story - Buy Low, Sell High

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass View Post
@Joy
Hasn't the cost benefit of LPG worn off with the price increase of LPG?
It is Rs. 37 in Hyderabad (Rs. 3.70 per km) and no more as economical as diesel (Rs. 2.50 per km).
Once the Emperor asked Birbal, after the jester returned from one of his trips to a friendly kingdom,

"Birbal, who is the greater king?". Birbal relied,"You Alampannah".

Emperor Ashok was very angry and asked Birbal,"I have come to know that when King XXXX asked you the same question, you said that he is like Purnima(full moon) and I am like amavas(New moon). Is this true?"

Birbal replied chuckily,"Alampannah, you have heard right. He is like the full moon who is going to shrink in brightness. You are the new moon who is on the ascendancy. You are only going to get more brighter with time." And, as usual, Birbal's life was spared.

Today, buying a car is also about what fuel are we buying into. Iran,of all countries, have mandated only dual fuel cars to be sold.We are living in extreme times.The available choice we have is Petrol, Diesel, LPG and CNG.Only LPG is the fuel with an honest pricing. The other three are subsidised. Govt, in these extreme times, has to pare down the subsidies. LPG is also the cleanest fuel. Polluting fuels will in future attract the enviro tax in all possibility. Trust Birbal, switch to LPG or atleast keep it as an option for future hedge.Long live the Emperor!!
Old 8th June 2008, 18:48   #34
oss
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy Ghose View Post
I am a Cedia LPG owner and was keenly reading this post. Consider this car if you are looking at a time hoizon of atleast 5 years of ownership. Cars are like dogs. A good breed is always preferable than the new kid on the block. The reasons are similar to the selection of canines as pets. The underlying character and the underpinnings are difficult to develop, test, market, improve and maintain in a short time. Cars, like any other expensive machinery like speedboats, airplanes, cranes, take time, to evolve.

Try going for a good pedigree,and, thou shall stand the test of time.
Hey Jay,

I am seriously looking at Cedia LPG option, and have been looking out for some feedback. Hope you can help me here.

Can you tell me how good ther performance of LPG is? Is it sluggish in anyway.

And what are the mileage figures you are getting per litre of LPG in city & highway with AC on?

Cheers,
Old 8th June 2008, 20:28   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Godspeed View Post
i am getting the vdi does this diesel model have the adjustable height thing and can you adjust the sterinig wheel like up and down?
VDi neither has seat height adjustment nor tilt steering. However, seating position is comfortable giving good view of the road. I am 5' 10" and use a pillow of ~1.5" on my seat to get a perfect view. It should be okay for you IMO. Also, Swift seating position is not good for shorter drivers and I've heard some < 5' 6" complain of back pain. Didn't you take a test drive yet? Will solve most of your doubts.
Old 8th June 2008, 21:25   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcode View Post
Requirements:
  1. Comfort: I have frequent back/neck pain from the driving
If the first criteria is real important then your only option is to buy the Diesel/Petrol Isuzu powered Amby with MichelinXM1+ tyres on suitable alloys. I am not kidding; its the panacea for your back and neck troubles if the cause is driving 70km daily in cramped cars. Compression strokes on your vertebral discs are the reason for your back/neck trouble and its only going to get worse with age and presently there is no fool proof treatment except for palliative therapy.Please do remember that the discs are the shock absorbers for your spine and they cannot be replaced with present scientific knowledge. Also have a test drive of the cars from the Mitsubishi stable though they are not as good as the Amby for back pain alleviation. By the way I do not have shares/stock in Hindustan Motors.

Go through the animations to see what you might end up with in old age( sex might be very painful if the back pain is left unattended and that should be reason enough to make you sit up and take precaution unless you are a Bramhachari).
Animations

For its structure see below
Intervertebral Discs

A little subject info
Spinal disk problems - herniated disk - WebMD

ACVS - Intervertebral Disc Disease

Last edited by drpullockaran : 8th June 2008 at 21:27.
Old 8th June 2008, 21:59   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oss View Post
Hey Jay,

I am seriously looking at Cedia LPG option, and have been looking out for some feedback. Hope you can help me here.

Can you tell me how good ther performance of LPG is? Is it sluggish in anyway.

And what are the mileage figures you are getting per litre of LPG in city & highway with AC on?

Cheers,
This is an interesting question, something with which I grappled in the pre-buying stage. To your surprise, LPG gives a better performance below 2500 rpm. Above it, the performance drop is negligible until 3500 rpm and Mitsu has set an example for others in techno-embedding. Tata is following suit with its Indica-LPG.

Technically, there are two practical advantages of LPG. First, the LPG atomization is better than petrol. The burn pattern is better and the engine is smoother, increasing the acceleration, more than the petrol in low rpm ranges.Secondly, me and my family will not be stranded by a fuel pump failure. That gives me an extra peace of mind while travelling on highways at night with family.

I am at 6000 kms.
LPG Mileage - 8(City); 11(Highway)

My right foot is a little heavy.
Old 8th June 2008, 22:18   #38
BHPian

Since am the initiator and owner of this thread, let me steer this closer to my needs and questions!

So Joy, apart from the thrill the cedia LPG offers, I see no FE benefit. Considering you'd be paying around Rs. 4.50 per km! Which is grossly expensive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy Ghose View Post
This is an interesting question, something with which I grappled in the pre-buying stage. To your surprise, LPG gives a better performance below 2500 rpm. Above it, the performance drop is negligible until 3500 rpm and Mitsu has set an example for others in techno-embedding. Tata is following suit with its Indica-LPG.

Technically, there are two practical advantages of LPG. First, the LPG atomization is better than petrol. The burn pattern is better and the engine is smoother, increasing the acceleration, more than the petrol in low rpm ranges.Secondly, me and my family will not be stranded by a fuel pump failure. That gives me an extra peace of mind while travelling on highways at night with family.

I am at 6000 kms.
LPG Mileage - 8(City); 11(Highway)

My right foot is a little heavy.
Old 8th June 2008, 22:32   #39
BHPian

Honda City CNG

Update: Another friend who was "carfused" on the similar lines as me, has bought a 10 month year old Honda City GXi for 6.70 Lakhs in Delhi. The insurance expires in August, so thats the expense he'd have to bear. Original tyres, and art leather seat covers. Bought it from a dealer in Karol Bagh. He plans to retro fit CNG into the car.

It was he who triggered off this thought in my mind earlier too. I had gone to see some cars with him a few weeks ago too. Then I became uncomfortable with the idea of buying a pre-owned car (never done this before) and at the next level get CNG retrofitted.

Now the status is that I am even more confused (with the fuel prices rising) and having paid a token amount of Rs.10,000 to the Hyundai Dealer for my Verna CRDi VGT without ABS.

Do you think it is a good idea at all. I know of someone selling an Aveo 1.6 for around 6 Lakhs. Should I speak to the person and initiate discussions.

What are the warranty fallouts? Anything else I need to keep in mind?

I am still not arriving at a decision. Something's wrong!!!
Old 8th June 2008, 23:01   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
..Then I became uncomfortable with the idea of buying a pre-owned car (never done this before) and at the next level get CNG retrofitted.
Now the status is that I am even more confused (with the fuel prices rising) and having paid a token amount of Rs.10,000 to the Hyundai Dealer for my Verna CRDi VGT without ABS.
Mohak, Let me help you here with a few things.

First of all, buying a 2nd hand car is a totally different thing and then getting a CNG fitting done is a tough thing IMHO. The car is never nearly perfect.

If you still want to get it done, try buying a Accent or Esteem in good condition and do it.

As far as your token money is concerned of 10k. Do not worry. I can speak to the dealer and get that returned to you.
Worst Case Scenario - you will lose 2k only in case you cancel a booking and as per Hyundai's rules. So you still have 8k covered.

Lastly, why the confusion mate ? The rising fuel costs is something which will continue to happen. Will happen with every country and is happening right now. The more you wait, the more you pay dearly.

Also let me tell you, there are thousands of people who are very seriously considering a Diesel car now over their Petrol counterparts. Very soon you will be paying a huge amount to buy a Diesel car. Also since most of our country's Transport is dependent on Diesel - chances of Diesel getting sky rocketed are very slim.

BTW I get my verna tommorrow morning
Old 8th June 2008, 23:08   #41
BHPian

Quote:
I am at a similar decision making point, but my options are a little clear after all the thinking the last couple of months.

I think you should first look at whether you need a new car or used. I am very sure I want a new one that smells a new car - big or small but new nevertheless. This is the emotional part. But otherwise, do you buy the pre-owned car from a trusted party? Do you have the service records and preferably, the warranty in place? Is the insurance showing a no-claim?

Secondly, I have calculated my usage and decided I needed a diesel. With news of massive hikes in the press, I think diesel is the best bet, not withstanding possibilities of a major hike there as well. That brings down my choice to Verna, Logan, Fiesta and Fusion, considering my budget. Among these, I am preferring a Ford (my usage will be largely in city) and hence I am just waiting for the new Fiesta to be launched before booking. So it will be a fiesta if it is impressive in its new form and if the cost is reasonable; or else a fusion. I wonder if your decision tree should be similar. cheers:
Old 8th June 2008, 23:28   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Update: Another friend who was "carfused" on the similar lines as me, has bought a 10 month year old Honda City GXi for 6.70 Lakhs in Delhi. The insurance expires in August, so thats the expense he'd have to bear. Original tyres, and art leather seat covers. Bought it from a dealer in Karol Bagh. He plans to retro fit CNG into the car.

It was he who triggered off this thought in my mind earlier too. I had gone to see some cars with him a few weeks ago too. Then I became uncomfortable with the idea of buying a pre-owned car (never done this before) and at the next level get CNG retrofitted.

Do you think it is a good idea at all. I know of someone selling an Aveo 1.6 for around 6 Lakhs. Should I speak to the person and initiate discussions.

What are the warranty fallouts? Anything else I need to keep in mind?

like vkochar said buying a new car is something else from a new car. IMO you should stick to the verna. it will give great mileage and be a fun car to drive.

forget the aveo. the 1.6 didnt sell in large numbers and isnt the most fun to drive car nor does it give great mileage.

lastly, the city is already such a boring car to drive. after fitting cng i cant imagine how bad itll be.
Old 9th June 2008, 12:45   #43
BHPian

reverse gear of Verna

Hello friends,

I have not TD verna,but I have heard that it has reverse ger at the place of first gear in our cars.Is it true?If yes,then isn't it confusing for a person who is driving a car with normal gear shift?Isn't it dangerous when we are waiting at traffic signals and by mistake we put it in reverse thinking that we are engaging first gear???
Old 9th June 2008, 12:49   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raja748 View Post
Hello friends,

I have not TD verna,but I have heard that it has reverse ger at the place of first gear in our cars.Is it true?If yes,then isn't it confusing for a person who is driving a car with normal gear shift?Isn't it dangerous when we are waiting at traffic signals and by mistake we put it in reverse thinking that we are engaging first gear???
Umm you cannot engage Reverse by accident. To engage reverse you have to pull up a ring, and then slot the gear into position where you slot first gear.
This is a style of shifting which I first saw in the Opel Astra.
Its quite safe.
Old 10th June 2008, 02:49   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

@raja - Like Tsk said, if this is the case, there will be some method of deploying reverse gear instead of the first gear. One way would be as tsk described and this is present in older gen cars like the astra/cielo. The other method is by pressing the gear knob down and slotting it into reverse. This way it only slots into reverse if the gear is pressed and not otherwise. This is present in cars like the Octavia.

@barcode - it depends on what you want. My brother is in the same dilemma as you. He was going to book a fiesta but as he was traveling extensively and fell sick, he still hasnt booked any car yet. I had advised him on the fiesta and he loved the car. But now I am also in the same dilemma as to what car to advise him. Both the cars have their respective pros and cons. I honestly think the new Ikon TDCi would be worth it. It should be 3L cheaper than the fiesta with the same features and the engine would be the same. I am waiting for the Ikon to come out as that should be a good option.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks