Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2008, 21:30   #1
BHPian

My 1st car (Dzire Lxi vs Aveo 1.4 Base)?

Hi,

This is my first post so please excuse if I fumble on any count. I have been looking to buy an entry level sedan for past 2 months. I am looking for opinion on the same.

In fact, I have already booked Dzire Lxi but it doesn't seem to be fulfill anytime sooner. As it has been more than a month of booking and still there is no definite date yet. I had booked Dzire on sheer VFM proposition that it has to offer. Here goes the story:

Started to buy a car with budget of 4L. Checked out i10, wagonR, zen Estillo. apart from i10 wasnt much impressed but found it bit pricey for its size. Enter swift and then Dzire. Finally, stretched my budget settled for Dzire Lxi due to following reasons:
1) VFM
2) Maintenance cost of a Hatchback
3)A.S.S. of Maruti
4) Decent comfort compared to swift hatchback and i10,zen,wagonR
5) Lxi as I thought it would have least demand in the market and henceforth I would get the delivery sooner than other models. And I would go for essential accessories from MGA. My running would not be more than 1000Kms/month
6) Resale value

I am really not impressed with Indigo(diesel/petrol) or Logan.

Its been a wait after that and its (atleast seems) long now with monsoon round the corner and this being my first car.

Meanwhile I started looking for other options. Came across Aveo initial ownership review in team BHP for few recent owners and was impressed. I checked with GM dealers and I feel I can go for the 1.4 Base model (further stretching my budget) as they are giving a good corporate discount. Also, I feel its again VFM for its range, better ride quality than Dzire, better interiors, better build, maintenance cost covered for 1st 3 years. They claim to have VGIS tech similar to Honda's VTEC at a much cheaper cost. The only problem I feel is the GM badge in terms of resale value and may be lack of good A.S.S. As I am a first time buyer I might be wrong on the above parameters. Hows GM in terms of the above concerns? Have I evaluated Aveo's strength correctly? Is Aveo a driver's car? What is its FE?

Also although I know other cars (read SX4 Vxi,Verna petrol, Hondy City) of its range are more expensive and henceforth more or less out of my budget.
Should I be considering any of them? Or should I wait for Dzire for some more time and then switch to Aveo if I dont get Dzire.

Please feel free to pour in your opinion. Also I personally like Black colour the most. Please tell me if their are any pros/cons for the same? Or should I go for any color option for Dzire(for quicker delivery) or Ivory gold in case of Aveo. I am located in Mumbai.

Thanks
Old 3rd June 2008, 22:34   #2
Senior - BHPian

Buddy Aveo sales have been improving. I think the 1.4 Aveo is a great VFM. If only GM improves its *** . I would advice you to wait for the Dzire . Dont jump to Aveo immediately. If MSIL doesnt fullfill your Dzire opt for some other car. Cheers!
Old 3rd June 2008, 22:41   #3
aks316

honda city is still the best of the a lot and if you can stretch your budget to that then dont think about any other car though a new model is coming this diwali.. aveo is a good car and since you live in mumbai aftersales service shouldnt be a problem but the resale would be very low.. verna petrol isnt doing good and now sx4 sales have also decreased due to poor interiors quality and mileage.. dzire is a segment lower than honda city, aveo, sx4, fiesta and verna.. aveo has better ride quality, better interiors, better looks, better build than dzire but vgis engine isnt as good as a vtec or idsi engine and resale would be very low and aveo isnt exactly a drivers car and mileage of 1.4 is around 12.. if you want a drivers car then look no further than the ford fiesta its the best drivers car but then ford has the same problem as gm.. so my advice if you can go for honda city then dont think of any other car though it has its negatives but it is still the best.. hope this helps.. tc.

Old 3rd June 2008, 23:10   #4
BHPian

Dear Wheelwake,

I was in the same quandary as you are. See : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...veo-1-4-a.html

I finally decide to go in for the Aveo 1.4 base. Reasons are:

1. Its fully loaded. Comes with power windows, AC, dealer gives a good music system etc. The Lxi does not even have Power Windows. In fact the only accessories I would recommend are Autocop (Genuine GM acc) and sunfilms.

2. The car is really smooth. I have driven my colleague's Aveo for over 300 kms (indore to shivpuri) in 4 hrs without a break and I was still fresh (of coure I was he was in the codriver's seat). In fact I'm so confident in this vehicle that I'm driving down from Chandigarh to Indore (1400 kms) in two days after purchasing this car in Mid June.

3. The vehicle is a pleasure to look at and drive. Dzire really looks ugly (but that's my personal opinion).

4. Resale value will be lower but by how much? 10 % max compared to Dzire. In return you get to drive a lovely car.

5. A.S.S is something that I can't comment on. It depends on your location, but mouthshut reviews are good for GM in bombay oops Mumbai.

Well that's my two cents.. Do keep this thread updated with your decision.
Old 3rd June 2008, 23:13   #5
BHPian

@ wheelwake.

Buy the way I believe Ivory Gold needs some maintenance. Its also around 6K costlier. Though it is definitely the best looker.

Black looks majestic but is a dust magnet.

I think cashmere is glorious. What say?
Old 4th June 2008, 11:17   #6
BHPian

Thanks everybudy for their response. Its been a good thought process for me so far :-).

@karanraheja

Yes I am willing to wait for a while. But there has to be some surety about the delivery. somewhere on net i have seen people who have done their booking pretty early and a full cash down payment on a commitment of short waiting period and still havent received their Dzire ( however, I do hope that some of them would have got it by now and hasnt come comeback to upate). There is something fishy about these things.

@aks316
Well I think I might check Honda just for the sake of it so that I understand the quality benchmarks. Is their Exi(Base variant) worth a look. I feel its bit underpowered based on stats. I personally dont appreciate the Fiesta looks it being in direct comparison with aveo,sx4 and city. Also I heard that its maintenance cost is on a higher side than aveo. Also the mileage you mention for aveo, is it for highways or city?

@Raj'sGlory
Thanks for pointing out to your thread. that is very informative for me. Btw does 1.4Base come with a music system? I think its dealer fitted and comes at an extra cost. So why not get it aftermarket super ICEd? Hey as I can see in your thread, you did not consider sx4. any reason for that?

As i heard sx4 comes loaded with features more than any other car in its segment. Is it true? I feel its ride quality is not so good due to very high ground clearance. Also, I know Maruti builds its car bodies using thinner metal sheet, thereby making it weaker on outer body.

Any sx4 owner can you please throw some light on the above mentioned concerns. Thanks
Old 4th June 2008, 13:05   #7
Senior - BHPian

Don't want to confuse you too much, but how about Accent GLE.
As entry-level sedan, it can fulfill most of your requirements.
Old 4th June 2008, 13:57   #8
BHPian

Long waiting period for DZire

Hi,
If you book Dzire then you might have to wait for 3 - 6 months for getting the delivery.
There is thead where person cancelled his booking for DZire because of long waiting period and opted for Aveo.
Old 4th June 2008, 16:20   #9
BANNED

aveo all the way does not even make sense to wait 6 months, in first month some parts of dezire will start falling apart too
Old 4th June 2008, 16:31   #10
BHPian

@smack_himanshu
Yeah I saw that. In fact I guess that post made me think for options other than Dzire.

@sukiwa
Yeah I do understand that Accet GLE is a very good VFM option. But as its an old model I fear that it would be discontinued soon. The Hyundai dealer over here did confirm that it can be discontinued. i asked if Hyundai is coming with a replacement for Accent. He didnt have much idea of that.

Well the recent update it I went again to check Aveo 1.4. The TD vehicle i drove had done 16k kms but ride was very smooth and it had no signs of aging. The dealer is giving a good deal in my opinion. 30k cash discount + cashless ownership and accessories worth of 14k apart from regular normal accessories. Now I have almost finalised the car. Guys can you please tell me if 1.4Base does come with stock speakers and if I want to ICE it up what do I do with them? Should I replace them or just get extra set of speakers? Also, somewhere on net I saw Aveo has tube tyres but the sales agent told me its tubeless. Can someone please confirm the same.
Old 4th June 2008, 17:53   #11
BHPian

In Mumbai, Chevy has really good A**

Dzire will give you only added resale value which I think you should not consider at this stage. (Rattle is another value additionwhich I have been reading in new Dzire posts )

No doubt, Dzire is VFM, but to get it to the level of Aveo you still need to add some accessories. Then why not go for Aveo which has everything loaded. The fit and finish of GM is way above MSIL.
Old 4th June 2008, 17:57   #12
Senior - BHPian

YOu can also check this thread here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...d-edition.html
Old 4th June 2008, 19:11   #13
Senior - BHPian

Except for the resale I don't think of any other problem with this car. Surely less than MUL cars, but i dont think it goes less like 50%, may be 10-15%. if you are sure to keep it with you for 3-5 years, then its a great buy.
Old 4th June 2008, 19:46   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelWake View Post

.They claim to have VGIS tech similar to Honda's VTEC at a much cheaper cost.

Thanks
Little off topic, is the above statement true?

WheelWake: if you want the luxury then go for AVEO, Looking for resale and *** then Dezire
Old 4th June 2008, 20:15   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelWake View Post
Thanks everybudy for their response. Its been a good thought process for me so far :-).

@Raj'sGlory
Thanks for pointing out to your thread. that is very informative for me. Btw does 1.4Base come with a music system? I think its dealer fitted and comes at an extra cost. So why not get it aftermarket super ICEd? Hey as I can see in your thread, you did not consider sx4. any reason for that?
@ Wheelwake: The SX4 was slightly out of my budget. Moreover I did not like it looks.

As For the Aveo's ICE, I'm planning for the following:-

JVC KD-AVX11, ; comes with a 2.5 inch screen for rear view camera and since it plays DVDs its future proof for the next 3 yrs at least - 11K.

JBL GTO 937 for the front - 4K.

Stock speakers for rear; will upgrade later.

Rear view camera - 1K.

Total 16K

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks