Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2008, 22:41   #1
BHPian

Skoda Octavia - Ambient Vs Elegance

I'm considering to purchase Octavia. There are various difference between the Octavia Ambient and Elegance models like Alloy, climate control,etc. And, i do not need any of them, except the lack of keyless entry in Ambient.

I need this feature (keyless entry). I've been spoilt by this feature for many many years, and cannot give it up.

Further there seem to be no "after market" solution for Skoda Octavia.

Do i have to pay one lakh more, just because i want "keyless" entry !!

Please advise.

Note from the Team-BHP Support : Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

Last edited by Jaggu : 14th June 2008 at 01:24. Reason: Note from the Team-BHP Support : Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules.
Old 14th June 2008, 01:28   #2
Team-BHP Support

Welcome contessa to the forum. If you just want keyless entry you can always goto your nearest accessory shop to find a solution for around 5 to 10 k depending on the features of the security system. Keyless entry is a very simple job, only engine immobilizer kits are slightly complicated.
Old 14th June 2008, 02:25   #3
Senior - BHPian

Isnt ambeint the petrol model and elegance the deisel one.
I think its the rider and it does come with keyless entry
in fact all skoda cars come with that
Old 14th June 2008, 11:13   #4
BHPian

Cannot find any after-sales solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Welcome contessa to the forum. If you just want keyless entry you can always goto your nearest accessory shop to find a solution for around 5 to 10 k depending on the features of the security system. Keyless entry is a very simple job, only engine immobilizer kits are slightly complicated.
I asked the autocop guys. They say - they cannot install their product in Skoda. The skoda dealers are also saying it is not possible to install any after-market keyless solution ... even their own accessories.
Old 14th June 2008, 18:29   #5
BHPian

Try someother showroom. My friend Owns Skoda Octavia Diesel Rider. It Has Keyless entry with Key Chain being the key.

You just have to press a Button for key to pop out.
Old 15th June 2008, 12:28   #6
BHPian

Welcome to the team, Contessa! Any particular reason for choosing the stodgy 'ol Octavia? The Laura is a far better product, and has been recently positioned to come within an arms length of the Octy. Please do take a test and re-evaluate.
Old 16th June 2008, 11:19   #7
BHPian

Thanks GTO. I'm considering the Octavia for cost reasons only. Its 2.6 lakhs cheaper and i'm assuming the cost of parts will also be expensive on Laura.

I test drove both Civic and Octavia along with 2 other friends of mine..within just 15 minutes gap. All of us thought Octavia was a better car, except for the engine noise. My opinion would be : Civic is "fancy" and Octavia is "solid"

Since i have already owned an optra, the new magmum is not very appealing. I never did like the Corolla, hence the choise of Octavia.
Old 16th June 2008, 11:45   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Too bad this model doesn't come with remote central locking!

Octavia - Remote central locking guide with photos! - BRISKODA - The Skoda Forum and Community

So it can be done. But not sure if you can find someone skilled enough to do this job.
Old 23rd June 2008, 15:20   #9
BHPian

I've decided i'm not going got Ambiente, because - i'm not going to risk the car's warranty due to wiring changes required for installing keyless entry.

So my choice has now come down to Octavia Elegance...which is priced just 1.5 lakh below the entry level laura

I have read atleast one post on this forum which mentioned that there is hardly any difference between octavia and laura.

I took test driver of both the cars. Some of my (novice) opinion ...

1) I felt Laura was more powerful, but it was easier to drive the octavia in the city at low speed.

2) The ride in Laura was a lot more harsh than Octavia...or was it due to the 17" alloy and different tyre in the test car (Laura) that i drove ??

3) The interiors and features (for common use) are better in Laura.

4) The higher ground clearance of Laura could be useful

Is Laura really worth 1.5 Lakhs more than Octavia. Under normal circumstances, i will blindly stick to Octavia. But with the threat of the car being discountinued, comes the possibility of drop in resale value of Octavia. This worries me.

Should i jump onto Laura ?? It will be a lot of strecth for me, which i will not mind if it would be worth it.

Please advise.
Old 23rd June 2008, 17:04   #10
BHPian

Hi Contessa,

I went through the same dilemma while changing from Optra to Octavia 3 months back.

And yes the Octavia vs Laura was my confusion as well.Have done a lot of research on this and would love to share to help u take the right decision.

I bought the Rider Classic which has Keyless entry,alloys and front armrest at a diff of 90k compared to the ambient for the same reasons as yours. But unfortunately SKoda has stopped the Rider and Classic models now.

A few tips:
1. keyless entry. Check with vinayak cars. they have fitted the original company keyless entry on the Ambient for abt 14k.
2. The front center armrest is also available for abt 11k.
3. A set of alloys from outside would cost u 20k vs the SKODA ones from dealer will cost u 45k.

These mods will be offered only by vinayak and will keep your warranty intact since it is Skoda dealer fitted. The GM(mr patil) at the workshop at Vinayak gave me this information since i managed to develop my rapport with him.The owner is also a good guy and is more than willing to help in these cases and promotes. Not too sure if you have checked on this.

Also if you have to buy prefer Vinayaka. I was in touch with a sales guy from Skoda Aurangabad and he to recommended Vinayak vs tafe.While i bought the car from tafe regretted it later.after sales from Vinayak cars is amazing while at tafe it sucks. The guys at vinayak are technically sound(atleast the GM) and he was able to solve a few difficulties on mine within minutes(because he knew what the issue was) vs tafe would failed to do it even after leaving a new car with them 2 times.

Laura vs Octavia - yes the laura is 2.6l(the ambient model)*more expensive but is a notch above. if u can afford it pls buy the laura.On a driving perpective i too test drove the Laura and Octavia back to back and felt the same as you do in terms of driving pleasure specifically in the city. more over u also get Insurance free on the Octavia vs nothing on the Laura.

I have also done a comparison on the spares(basic) and am attaching the same for you.Also chek the OCtavia 2008 product catalogue which the Skoda guys had sent me.

Rgds
hitin
Attached Files
File Type: xls Car Comparision Mar 2008.xls (36.5 KB, 1196 views)
File Type: xls Octavia - product catalogue 2008.xls (89.5 KB, 1410 views)
Old 23rd June 2008, 17:12   #11
BHPian

The understanding given by the Skoda and the delaers is that the octavia will not be discontinued for a few more years until they launch another car in the same price range. Why wuld they lauch new variants if they had to discontinue.

i also read in one of the newpapers that Skoda has plans for India wit new facelift models of the OCtavia and laura after the superb later next year.

octavia is like the maruti 800 for Skoda in India..Maruti still sells the 800.

Cheers
Old 23rd June 2008, 19:59   #12
BHPian

Thanks Hitesh. You got quite some discount....how did you manage that !!
Old 23rd June 2008, 22:26   #13
Team-BHP Support

Contessa, if you can afford it go for Laura. Its a newer design at the end of the day, and i have had brief experience and the car really rocks. Octi somehow shows its age, i would rather point towards a Optra D under such a situation.
Old 24th June 2008, 07:16   #14
BHPian

Thanks Jaggu.

I've owned an optra for 3 years. Its a beautiful car and well built one. Replacing parts are not very expensive either.

However there is one problem that i had with the car. On bad roads, if i hit the bottom (which often happens due to the soft suspension, i suppose) there is a good possibility of something going wrong. I've replaced three parts due to such hits in three years, including the silencer. The car needs to be driven with care over bad roads.

Since i often go on long drive and take pathetic roads, i thought a well built skoda with a stiffer suspension would be of great help.
Old 24th June 2008, 10:10   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

I too recommend Vinayaka. Persuade them to add the keyless entry as an option.

TDI is believed to be a more robust engine than PD. It is simpler, cheaper and more forgiving in terms of fuel quality, etc. PD is more expensive because of unit injectors, etc. and *requires* synthetic oil and does not run on biodiesel, etc.

Apart from the 'newer feel', Laura has few differences (AFAIK):
Independent rear suspension
All disc brakes
Little more space in the back
Better safety and comfort equipment level depending on the variant
Probably an improved chassis compared to the older platform

Stretching budget for a car is not a sound financial move. I would probably look at "almost-new" used car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks