Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2008, 21:34   #61
BANNED

My goodness! I don't understand the logic behind the Fiesta/SX4 in comparison with a Corolla. Is it that bad a car?
This is a comparison between a lower D segment car with a Mid C segment car. Why should one consider the smaller class of cars when he is looking for a higher class car?
If one needs a fun to drive car within the 5lakh budget, then it's better he looks for a Lancer/OHC/Baleno etc..

If he has made his mind on a certain class of a car, then it's always better to compare it between cars of that same class/segment.
Otherwise, he can get a very fun to drive car if he buys an Alto 1.1! But does it make any sense when compared to a Corolla?

And all those who are complaining about the very poor build quality of a Corolla, I would like to know if somebody has come to know of Corollas giving more problems and issues than an Octy or so.. Ofcourse, there will be some very rare incidents but normally it is very much exceptional.

Sorry to sound like a fanboy!
Old 11th July 2008, 00:30   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
What i meant is for you to bite the bullet for a while until you can afford a dandy double din HU with GPS & navigation.

I am sure you wont need more than 12 CDs in your car at a time, maybe more for long trips. Just a matter of mindset.
Your quite right John. I'd rather wait and get a nice 2-din ICE setup in the car rather than jump for just anything for the time being. I am used to having an MP3 player in the car. So it feels inadequate just to carry around a couple of audio CD's. Besides I'm not the best when it comes to keeping my CD's scratch free. So eventually it would not play and get me frustrated. More reasons in reply to Sridhga's post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhga View Post
Here are my two cents. Toyota Corolla is in fact a good car to own. It does run a very long life. But if maintained well which car doesn’t? But I would like to clear some misconceptions. Someone was suggesting that a Corolla’s fuel efficiency is 10 to 13.5. But I would suggest with my experience that you can expect atmost 9 kmpl. Corolla is not a fun to drive car. On the other hand it’s a very bland car. It is as bland as an Indigo. Corolla’s suspension is soft and this could mislead one during a test drive. Toyota running at 1lakh plus kilometers is not really a big deal. If you don’t believe me, next time you take a Tata Indica taxi ask the diver how many kilometers it has run. The fact is that may modern day engines do not wear out. But in the Indian scenario, it is not just the engine that matters. Suspension takes the first hit. Also Toyota 2003 model never came with ABS as a standard. ABS was an option, though. By the way I am not against Toyota. Infact Corolla 2003 was my first car. But I am just alerting the enquirer not to have very high expectations about the car. Moreover, there was a discussion on the ease of use of a 6 cd changer. Browsing between the CDs is just about as difficult as browsing within the CD. Only that you use a different button. Only thing in a 2003 Corolla is that the you have to reach out for the buttons while driving. Check this out during the test drive and you will know what I mean. It does not come with any remote controls.
Sridhga, I really appreciate you putting it points right there on the table. There have been some other members on the very thread who have told me some of the points that you have mentioned.

You have compared the Corolla to the Indigo/Cab. Are you telling me they feel the same to drive after 1L kms?? Are the parts replaced and service costs involved the same in comparison to the original cost of the car?? Do both the cars carry you around with the same comfort/snob value?? I haven't experienced this blandness in driving your refering to. But then again my test drive lasted just 15 mins.

Your absolutely right when your talking about the HU!! I was surprised when no one brought it up earlier. To confess one of the reasons I wanted to go in for another HU is so that I can get a steering mounted remote. Or as I have mentioned earlier.......ipod+transmitter.

I understand you just don't want me to expect too much out of the car. I understand. I won't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Buy a Ford Fiesta instead or maybe an SX4. Toyota isn't much fun to drive and the old ones had a terrible suspension.
Many have suggested SX4 or the Fiesta. I know why....these cars are new and would carry many other advantages. But they are a clear 2-3L more than what I can afford right now. Some have suggested going in for the 5 year loan repayment plan. That effectively brings up the car cost by almost (approx) 20% at the end of 5 years. I certainly don't wish to pay such a premium to own a new car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
If you have not wasted your money on an old Corolla, buy a new Cedia, which is more fun and exciting. Plus, it is going to be around for ages, unlike the soon to be phased out model (of Corolla).
I would love to own a Cedia Select/Sport at 5L price point at this point of time. I really like that car. I haven't found a single second hand car in Chennai. I have called Mitsubishi A S S themselves asking if they know any owner willing to part with their cars......nothing. Besides, I think the Cedia depreciates a lot faster than its counterparts. Not to mention terrible A S S in Chennai.
Old 14th July 2008, 08:27   #63
BHPian

Used OHC

I am planning to replace my Palio 1.9 D with a sedan. Wife and me feel that we need to move up the ladder, and get the snob value of a sedan.

But, my current budget does not allow me to go for any new sedans except the Indigo CS, which I dont plan to buy. My budget is limited to around 4 lacs.

I intend to keep it for atleast the next 2 years. It would be a family car and I am bothered about FE and comfort.

One option that came to my mind and I am very keen on is the OHC. I have never driven one, neither seen one up close. Please advise on whether buying a 2002/3 OHC 1.5 or Vtec be a good option. Would also appreciate if you can help me with locating one, if there are any left.

Please do suggest other options if any.
Old 14th July 2008, 08:45   #64
BHPian

OHC will be a very good option. suits your budget and it still looks better than much newer cars.
i personally own an OHC and Palio 1.9D. i love both of them.
Old 14th July 2008, 21:01   #65
BHPian

Hi flipsyde,

I am faced with the same situation as u are in right now. I am also thinking of buying a 2003/04 model corolla after considering Lancer/OHC/Baleno.

My concerns about buying the corolla are:

1> High maintenance (cost of spare parts)

2> Resale

Thanks for starting this thread. Keep us informed us of ur corolla hunting progress.
Old 14th July 2008, 23:48   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilmabraham View Post
I am planning to replace my Palio 1.9 D with a sedan. Wife and me feel that we need to move up the ladder, and get the snob value of a sedan.

But, my current budget does not allow me to go for any new sedans except the Indigo CS, which I dont plan to buy. My budget is limited to around 4 lacs.

I intend to keep it for atleast the next 2 years. It would be a family car and I am bothered about FE and comfort.

One option that came to my mind and I am very keen on is the OHC. I have never driven one, neither seen one up close. Please advise on whether buying a 2002/3 OHC 1.5 or Vtec be a good option. Would also appreciate if you can help me with locating one, if there are any left.

Please do suggest other options if any.
Kindly post another thread about this or use the search function in the forum to find appropriate threads for your post.

We are discussing about buying a used 2003/2004 Toyota Corolla here. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by higautham View Post
OHC will be a very good option. suits your budget and it still looks better than much newer cars.
i personally own an OHC and Palio 1.9D. i love both of them.
Hi, I think your reply should move along with basilmabraham's post.

MODS kindly do the needful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toretto View Post
Hi flipsyde,

I am faced with the same situation as u are in right now. I am also thinking of buying a 2003/04 model corolla after considering Lancer/OHC/Baleno.

2> Resale

Thanks for starting this thread. Keep us informed us of ur corolla hunting progress.
Toretto. I chose the Corolla based on comfort and economy and for the fact that its cheaper to run than an Optra. The cars you have shortlisted are fabulous performance machines but I doubt them being as good as the Corolla/Optra when it comes to comfort. They belong to different segments.

A good place to start would be for you to first get clear what you expect your new car to give you.

I cannot comment about the maintenance costs or resale value about the Corolla right now but from what I have studied I have come to understand that its not exactly expensive to maintain. Come to think of it for a 11L car its certainly easier on the pocket than many of its competitors.

I am not sure about Bangalore but in Chennai Lanson Toyota they were nice enough to give me the cost sheet for Corolla parts and the labour charges. I will try to post it up when I get my scanner fixed.

Good luck with your hunt.
Old 14th July 2008, 23:56   #67
BHPian

UPDATE : Have finalized on a 2003 H2 Corolla. S/O run 55k kms in Superior White. Its got new MRF tyres. The final price was negotiated to 4.50L. I have asked them to complete the 55k kms service and give me the car which they are not ready to do. Lets see how I can work that out. Last service was done on 11th Feb 2008 at 47k kms.

Is it possible to get a hard copy of the service bills from the A S S ?? If it is I would certainly like to keep a copy for myself. The earlier services were done at Annamalais Toyota in Trichy. The records seem fine when I spoke to the A S S over the phone. Just wish I could have a copy of the service records.

Car no. is TN 45 S 9955. Does anyone in Chennai or Trichy recogonize this car?

MODS I have booked this car so I guess it shouldn't be a problem if I put the regn. no. up on the forum. If its a problem feel free to remove it. Spare me the infraction.
Old 15th July 2008, 00:09   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by toretto View Post

It's spare change compared to an Octy, and a little bit cheaper than a Civic. The Optra's the cheapest to maintain though in terms of spare parts charges according to ACI.

Quote:
2> Resale
Toyota? Seriously?
Old 15th July 2008, 01:00   #69
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsyde View Post
UPDATE : Have finalized on a 2003 H2 Corolla. S/O run 55k kms in Superior White. Its got new MRF tyres. The final price was negotiated to 4.50L. I have asked them to complete the 55k kms service and give me the car which they are not ready to do. Lets see how I can work that out. Last service was done on 11th Feb 2008 at 47k kms.

Is it possible to get a hard copy of the service bills from the A S S ?? If it is I would certainly like to keep a copy for myself. The earlier services were done at Annamalais Toyota in Trichy. The records seem fine when I spoke to the A S S over the phone. Just wish I could have a copy of the service records.

Car no. is TN 45 S 9955. Does anyone in Chennai or Trichy recogonize this car?

MODS I have booked this car so I guess it shouldn't be a problem if I put the regn. no. up on the forum. If its a problem feel free to remove it. Spare me the infraction.

flipsyde thats a good deal i think, But i think for all cars a major service comes between 50-60K kms. So i think you should find out from the A*S*S how much would the 55K service be ?
Old 15th July 2008, 09:34   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa View Post
flipsyde thats a good deal i think, But i think for all cars a major service comes between 50-60K kms. So i think you should find out from the A*S*S how much would the 55K service be ?
Will do Aza. Actually since it time for a service I am asking the dealer to ask the owner to foot the bill for this service before he hands over the car to me. I am not sure if he would do that but then again it was worth a shot. I will be hearing from them today or tomorrow regarding this. I am going to the A S S today anyway to try to get the earlier service records I will check on the 55k kms service costs. I am guessing it should be under 10k.

Anyone have a thoughts on the 55k service costs??
Old 15th July 2008, 17:14   #71
BHPian

Congrats

Congrats flipsyde. U got the car for 4.75L.. that is a great deal..!!
Chennai prices are less compared to Bangalore..

Can we have some pics..??

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
It's spare change compared to an Octy, and a little bit cheaper than a Civic. The Optra's the cheapest to maintain though in terms of spare parts charges according to ACI.

Toyota? Seriously?
Hi flyingspur,

Thanks for the upate regarding spare parts.

I was worried about resale since a 12L car has depreciated to around 5L in a span of 5 years.
Old 15th July 2008, 17:16   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
The Optra's the cheapest to maintain though in terms of spare parts charges according to ACI.
ACI is a load of nonsense. I do not own an Optra but own a Corsa, which was sold by GM, and I do not think they have changed their spots. Corsa is a fine car to drive, and smooth, but there are too many problems with GM (even when Corsa was in production). I have repeated these before, and these include:
1. Nonavailability of spare parts (complete hit and miss)
2. Initial quality is good (remember GM's recent ads) but till around 1 year or 15K.
3. Inconsistent quality of service and paint job at dealerships (cannot even match the paint).
4. Buyers market in resale.
5. Exploitative attitude of dealers.
6. Most of all GM's mentality (sell a lemon at a loss/hugely discounted price and make profits on repairs and service).

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsyde View Post
Will do Aza. Actually since it time for a service I am asking the dealer to ask the owner to foot the bill for this service before he hands over the car to me. I am not sure if he would do that but then again it was worth a shot. I will be hearing from them today or tomorrow regarding this. I am going to the A S S today anyway to try to get the earlier service records I will check on the 55k kms service costs. I am guessing it should be under 10k.

Anyone have a thoughts on the 55k service costs??
There is no 55K service interval for Corolla. It is at 10K intervals. Assuming a 60K service, go to Toyota Bharat's website and click on after sales and then Corolla maintenance.

http://www.toyotabharat.com/inen/ser...ace_intro.asp#

Labour cost in non-metros is Rs. 843. Replacement is of engine oil (Rs. 600 approx) and engine oil filter. Thus, routine service should be less than 2000. Other damaged parts could be extra. Example, brake pads are 5800 for all 4.

Last edited by aah78 : 25th July 2008 at 02:46. Reason: Posts merged. Please use MULTI-QUOTE.
Old 15th July 2008, 20:31   #73
BHPian

Thanks Toretto. But the search is not over yet. I am just waiting for the service records to come by. Anyway as of now looks like this will be my next car.

@vasudeva : I didn't know that information was available on the website. Thanks a lot. I know what you mean about GM and their A S S. If Toyota was that bad I don't think they would have sold as well as they did in the segment.
Old 17th July 2008, 19:34   #74
BHPian

Ok guys. Here is an update.

I took the 2003 H2 White Corolla to Lanson Toyota A S S. Here are all the things I need to look into as soon as I get the car.

- front struts/studs need replacement - 3K
- Rear disc brake rotors and pads - 12k
- 50k service w/additional liquid check - 5k

Otherwise the car seems to be in perfect shape. No accident history. Minor painting work has been done to remove scratches. Clutch in very good shape apparently for a car which has run 55k kms. Engine good. Gearbox good. Wiper blades work well but have become slightly hard and have been suggested replacement soon. Electricals good.

I also got a Toyota Certified Used Cars agent to evaluate the price of the car. He offered 4.6L for the car which is exactly what I am paying for it. So I think this is a good deal.

Getting the finance done via Indian Overseas Bank @ 12% diminishing interest I think. Have submitted all IT papers. Only document pending is the Car Evaluation Report which has to be given by some reputed dealer. That should be done by tomorrow morning. If all goes well I should have the car by saturday or monday.

Anything else I should be checking up or following at this juncture??
Old 23rd July 2008, 17:16   #75
BHPian

So finally you took the car. How is it? Do provide the review.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks