Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2005, 19:35   #16

GTO, et. al,

This looks like an overwhelming vote for Optra 1.6. Let me pull the trigger and get hold of one this month.

Thanks, Gents.
Old 14th March 2005, 19:35   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

SRP,

As much as I love the Lancer...it is very outdated and underpowered by todays standards. HM has taken the build quality to the Ambassador days too.

GTO
Old 14th March 2005, 20:04   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadas

Nothing can beat the VFM factor of Petra. And like I said earlier your can get an FE of 10+ in city with AC.
Petra is superb machine. You'll get fantastic dealer support from Ashwamegh. (Jay-Vijay is decent too). But if you have made up your mind with Optra, then just go ahead and buy yourself one :-)
Old 14th March 2005, 23:52   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
SRP,

As much as I love the Lancer...it is very outdated and underpowered by todays standards. HM has taken the build quality to the Ambassador days too.

GTO
hi SRP

well i will have to agree with GTO on the build quality thing but outdated! not by indian standards, c'mon man we still have zens and esteems selling like hot cake.

Even considering what GTO said you still get-

FE of about 13 in the city and 16 on highway

unmatched handling and stability.

very highly reliable -never had a single problem in six years.

low cost spares(comparatively) and service(Rs 850)

driver's sitting position is one of the best i have seen in cars.

Its not underpowered or atleast i never felt so,but yes its less powerful than the other cars you have mentioned.

still looks amazing ,put a set of alloys and you have a beauty.

Its a decent car with a decent performance and the new price of
6.93lac makes it more atractive.

so do consider it .

Last edited by lancerlover : 14th March 2005 at 23:59.
Old 15th March 2005, 00:01   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srp442
GTO, et. al,

This looks like an overwhelming vote for Optra 1.6. Let me pull the trigger and get hold of one this month.

Thanks, Gents.
good decision - let us know the deal u get and the pics of ur car as soon as it arives !!

all the best

cheers
Old 15th March 2005, 11:06   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Lancerlover,

I would like to correct you on a couple of points.

1. I have myself owned a Lancer and it does not deliver 13 kpl in the city. Under regular conditions, the best is 9.5 - 10.

2. The Lancer has all of 84 bhp. Even cheaper competition has more power.

3. The build quality is now absolutely pathetic. Walk into a Mitsubishi showroom and see how the trunk is misaligned with the rest of the body. Interior plastics are pathetic (down to Tata levels) and there are uneven panel gaps all over the body.

4. Its actually not that stable on the highway. The performance within the city is phenomenal, but on the highway it is just so-so. To quote Autocarindia also "The Lancer is surprisingly ordinary on the highways".

Compared to what the competition has to offer for the same price, yes...the Lancer is terribly outdated. So are the zen and esteem, but whats the point? Except for the handling, the Optra beats the Lancer in each and every aspect.

There is a reason that Metro Motors (Mumbais premier HM owned dealership) sells only 3 - 4 Lancers every month. Dont get me wrong, I still love the Lancer and would love to pick up a used 2000 model (from the good days). But no ways am I going to spend 7 lacs on one.

GTO
Old 15th March 2005, 15:06   #22

GTO, Well articulated. The point is apt. "Is a car worth 7 Lacs ? " and I got my answer, why I would go for an Optra versus any other at that price.

Lancerlover, I appreciate your feedback and Lancer has a good handling - a good driver's car, the comfort is missing... and VFM.
Old 15th March 2005, 20:13   #23
BHPian

SRP,

its good to know that you have made up your mind,optra is a cool car, all the best man!

GTO,

i agree with you on most of the points but what should i say when i actually get a mileage of 12/13 in the city.

also i frequently travel to chandigarh and jaipur and lancer's my second favorite next to octavia to travel.

may be the autocar people tried a car with stock tyres.

well the rest is one"s personal liking i guess.
Old 15th March 2005, 21:08   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancerlover
may be the autocar people tried a car with stock tyres.
What exactly do you mean by that? Are you having a fatter tyre now? If yes, technically it should give you slightly less mileage than with stock. Will be happy with an explanation.
Old 16th March 2005, 00:35   #25
BHPian

hi rudra

yes i am having goodyear eagle ventura 195/65 R14 .

it was in reference to GTO's post(#21,see point:4).
i believe car's handling and road hugging capabilities are vastly dependent on the rubber its riding upon.

about mileage as far as i have experienced with my cars +20 of your existing tyre profile along with a set of alloys and tubeless type doesnt actually affect the mileage at all.

but yes if you go for wider tyres tube type with steel rims the mileage will go down by about a km or so and the steering also becomes heavier.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks