Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2008, 16:03   #1
vij
BHPian

Hyundai Sonata Emberra: Opinions needed

Dad is looking for a car. He loves toyota and his present car is Corolla H2. He has all but decided to move on to Corolla Altis... But I personally feel Sonata Emberra would be a better choice considering that the vehicle is going to be 90% chauffeur driven...

How would you compare the two cars? Please suggest.

TIA
Vijay
Old 20th September 2008, 17:28   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The Sonata is from a segment above and has a "sofa" of a backseat. Plus, it has larger interiors and a soft-tuned suspension. Yup, the Embera is a great car to be chauffeur-driven in.

Your father is an existing Corolla owner so it does make sense to upgrade to the Embera. Plus, you get the option of a diesel too!
Old 20th September 2008, 17:43   #3
Senior - BHPian

Totally agree with GTO. Embera is an absolute VFM product. TD both deisel & petrol & take a call. You will not be disappointed.

Cheers
Old 20th September 2008, 18:01   #4
vij
BHPian

Thanks guys... locked the Embera CRDI.
one Blr dealer has quoted 16.73lac on-road price.
Is this the right price? I heard dealers quote variable prices on Embera and that the price cud be bettered?
Old 20th September 2008, 18:02   #5
Senior - BHPian

The Altis might be an upgrade feature-wise. However it isn't much of an upgrade segment-wise. Now, unless that is of no importance to you whatsoever, the Embera is definitely more sensible a buy for quite a few reasons. Since it is chauffeur driven, its slightly larger size will not bother your father much. Furthermore, being a Hyundai, service and accident repair parts are fairly inexpensive in relation to other cars in the segment. Which brings me to the segment itself. As it is offered with a fair amount of good discounts and bonuses, and I'm sure you will be helped by t-bhp in getting a good fnance deal, you'll be getting a lot more for a lot less money. And finally, I don't find the need to harp on how comfortable the backseat is in the case of the Embera. So running costs(diesel, not petrol)+backseat comfort+service costs+accident repair costs+(imo)good looks=Embera is a definite winner. Strongly recommended.
Old 20th September 2008, 18:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vij View Post
Thanks guys... locked the Embera CRDI.
one Blr dealer has quoted 16.73lac on-road price.
Is this the right price? I heard dealers quote variable prices on Embera and that the price cud be bettered?

WOW now that was quick !! The Embera is a car (highly under-rated) which is generally sold at good discounts. Your negotiation skills + if you already own a Hyundai will tilt the numbers in your favour

Cheers
Old 20th September 2008, 19:38   #7
Senior - BHPian

I'd strongly recommend the Embera, for the reasons already stated above. Go for the diesel if your dad's monthly running is more.
Old 21st September 2008, 22:24   #8
vij
BHPian

The price quoted for the Sonata Embera CRDI[Manual]by the blr dealer is 13.78lac ex-showroom and 16.73lac on road...This was through phone. That doesnt seem proper...
I have read here about people getting much better prices...someone mentioned he got 15.4lac on road price on Team-BHP... Whats happening?
Please advice... Can we bargain that much?

Last edited by vij : 21st September 2008 at 22:43.
Old 21st September 2008, 23:10   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vij View Post
The price quoted for the Sonata Embera CRDI[Manual]by the blr dealer is 13.78lac ex-showroom and 16.73lac on road...This was through phone. That doesnt seem proper...
I have read here about people getting much better prices...someone mentioned he got 15.4lac on road price on Team-BHP... Whats happening?
Nothing's happening - you're in Karnataka. Thats all.
Old 22nd September 2008, 00:33   #10
Team-BHP Support

Rohitrk has just recently posted a review for the Embera CRDI, and it seems he got quite a good deal too.
I strongly suggest you touch base with him, would give you a realistic insight on the possible discount pattern.

manson.
Old 22nd September 2008, 07:57   #11
vij
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Nothing's happening - you're in Karnataka. Thats all.
Gee! thanks!

But is that all?
Old 22nd September 2008, 19:16   #12
vij
BHPian

Emberra CRDI is upon full confirmation of order only.
I asked for a test drive of atleast petrol Embera and they are dilly dallying me
They dont seem interested in selling this car. I was so so interested... My enthusiasm is wearing off...
Old 29th September 2008, 19:07   #13
vij
BHPian

After relentless cajoling, threatening etc etc for more than a week I finally got to test drive the Embera CRDI.
The guy came with a damaged sloppy car as a TD car.
The rear 2/3 of the Embera looks good, the front portion is just average. The car has some weight and seriosuness about it. Reasonably elegant but nothing to rave about. This is one big car... Considerably longer and wider than the Altis or Civic with class leading legroom and width.
Nice suspension. I stretched it to 140 on the highways and the suspensions were good... not firm...slightly floaty...but good to be driven around for sure... The handling has been raved about on team-bhp, but I found it to be slightly iffy at 140 and the sales guy blamed it on the bad state of the TD car and the accidents it suffered... The Turbo lag at slow speeds on the Embera CRDI is very noticeable indeed... its not mild...its there and cant be ignored... but once that hurdle is crossed the acceleration and power is exhilarating... It just pins you and shoots ahead.
The interiors are bland...poor... that the TD car was super dirty didnt help matters...The tyres are good...Sound isolation inside is excellent.

I dont know what to say...Every defect was met with the excuse that the Test drive vehicle underwent a major accident recently....
I am impressed a bit...but I am not impressed in general...
Old 30th September 2008, 12:32   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

This would probably be a good time for you to look up the latest Embera ownership review. A Team-BHPian has recently posted a fairly comprehensive report on his Embera common-rail.

Quote:
The handling has been raved about on team-bhp, but I found it to be slightly iffy at 140 and the sales guy blamed it on the bad state of the TD car and the accidents it suffered...
Nope, no one has *raved* about the Embera's handling. It is a known fact that the Embera is not a drivers car. The Laura / Jetta rule that segment in terms of road manners.
Old 30th September 2008, 14:45   #15
vij
BHPian

Ok my bad. Also I found the steering very light, I was holding on to it for dear life. Could it be just the car I drove.
Posted in Rohits thread.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks