Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2008, 16:42   #1

Optra Magnum Diesel and the Honda City?

Team BHPians,

I have already booked for the NHC 1.5 SMT and awaiting delivery which has been promised 2nd week of December. Booked the car a week or so after it was launched.

Since I knew I had a long wait period, thought of test driving a few other cars including Toyota Corolla Altis, Scorpio MHawk VLX and Optra Magnum Diesel LT.
Toyota Corolla definitely had the best interiors amongst all the 3 and the drive was quite comfortable. But I felt the pricing (without any discounts being offered) was a little too high. Scorpio let me down at speeds above 130 KPH.
Of all the 3 cars, one car that WOWed me was the Optra Magnum Diesel LT. The drive was amazing. Fell in love with it the second after doing the test drive.

Need your strong advice on whether I should wait for my NHC or switch to the optra magnum. Only serious concern I have with Optra Magnum is after sales service (though they are offering me 3 years free service) and resale value.
A lot of Chevy owners are cautioning me not to go for a GM car in lieu of it's bad brand image hitting rock bottom resale prices.

But I have to admit this is one car I loved the most!!
Old 31st October 2008, 16:56   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Only serious concern I have with Optra Magnum is after sales service (though they are offering me 3 years free service)
My Optra has been with me almost 3 years now and not once have I had any issues with servicing, also have not spent any substantial amounts on spares either, though I own the petrol version, I can still safely say that GM service is not as bad as it is sometimes made out to be.
Cheers,
Hari.
Old 31st October 2008, 17:05   #3
BANNED

City has altogether taken the ball game to a diff. level. Optra could be considered a good buy some time back, but not now, competition has moved forward. Also, there is news that GM might introduce new Optra (Chevy. Cruz) by mid next year.
Its always good to opt for a newer car with latest tech.
New Honda City wins against Optra hands down, only noteworthy competition is in the form of Altis & Civic ie. cars from a higher segment!
Old 31st October 2008, 17:09   #4
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest you to look at your usage before doing a petrol vs diesel.

If it's anything less then 50kms per day then honda is all the way else pickup Optra Magnum
Old 31st October 2008, 21:19   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
I would suggest you to look at your usage before doing a petrol vs diesel.

If it's anything less then 50kms per day then honda is all the way else pickup Optra Magnum
Such statements are passe. Now-a-days people buy diesel just to experience the torque it provides.
Old 31st October 2008, 21:30   #6
Senior - BHPian

Magnum has an awesome drove no doubt. The car makes you feel 2 good. Have not driven the ANHC yet so cant comment about the drive but i will pick magnum anyday!
Old 31st October 2008, 21:36   #7
BHPian

Go for the Magnum, better ride, power and space.

Also, I prefer the quality of interiors in the Magnum to the City.
Old 1st November 2008, 07:46   #8
JRD
BHPian

its quite simple rahulsm.

if your daily running is on the higher side say 70 kms+ and you have to go on the highways every now and then, go for the magnum. Its a steal at the price they are offering plus 20k cash discount when my dealer called me 2 weeks ago. Its loaded with features , is very safe (all 4 discs, abs, ebd and airbags), looks well proportioned and has more interior space compared to the ANHC.

but if your running is less then 70kms a day then a diesel doesnt make sense. Its not worth paying the extra cost (though i have to say when compared to the ridiculously overpriced ANHC you aren't paying extra at all). But still at 5 years or so the diesel will be more expensive to maintain, so do some calculations and figure out your daily running to find out if you can really take advantage of a diesel car.

hope this helps
JRD
Old 1st November 2008, 09:29   #9
BHPian

Another head (City) V/s heart (Magnum) debate...?

The Magnum LT is definitely plush (with beige and leather interiors) and more roomier than the City. Even though the torque is too addictive, I wouldnt call it as a drivers car! The ride and build quality would definitely be better than the Honda.

The 3 year TMP on the Optra is awesome, but the A.$.$ is a lot left to be desired and is definitely behind Honda, even which I dont think is any great!

From a financial perspective, assume Magnum LT TCDi to return 12KMPL V/s City's 10KMPL (based on initial test drives and yet to be proven), do the math on the additional EMI burden, monthly running and you have the answer... the resale would definitely be better on the City but it shouldnt influence your decision if you are holding your car for 5+ years.

OT: Being in Bangalore, an AT would be much more pleasurable to drive unless you are chauffeured! The Magnum being a diesel might be a pain to drive in b2b traffic.

Last edited by AirWind : 1st November 2008 at 09:30. Reason: typo
Old 1st November 2008, 09:55   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Such statements are passe. Now-a-days people buy diesel just to experience the torque it provides.
Such statement aren't going to passe anyday, considering a price difference of more then 30-40% between diesel and petrol. A car should be pocket friendly not only maintenance wise but also in running. This is reason why marutis, hyundai and honda rules the sales chart anyday over any other brand.

Diesel machine are usually torque machine but are heavy on pockets if they are ran handful i.e. 20-30 kms daily as diesel vehicles require extra care while following service schedules which can be skipped anyhow in petrol cars without any glitch.
Old 1st November 2008, 10:07   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulsm View Post

I have already booked for the NHC 1.5 SMT and awaiting delivery which has been promised 2nd week of December. Booked the car a week or so after it was launched.

Of all the 3 cars, one car that WOWed me was the Optra Magnum Diesel LT. The drive was amazing. Fell in love with it the second after doing the test drive.

But I have to admit this is one car I loved the most!!
Well, since you have already booked you G3HC, check what might be the impact if you cancel your booking. GM has been going on this 3 year zero offer - which - on the surface looks good, you need to figure out the granularity of it.
The car (i am assuming) is going to be with you for a while - so in order to avoid the "Sigh! what if..." syndrome - look at the Magnum seriously.
Old 1st November 2008, 10:58   #12
Senior - BHPian

There are more than one parameter to be brought into consideration.

1) What is the planned amount of travel daily ?
2) Mostly single drive or the car will be used for long distance driving on highways with family ( read more than 3 passengers ) ?
3) In your city/area how is the service center for both G3HC and Optra Magnum ?

1) If more than 50 kms daily, go for diesel.
2) If you are planning to do long distance highway trips with family/friends, then go for Optra Magnum.
3) Check out this point. There is no point in having an excellent machine but with poor servicing.

IMO, just dont worry about resale if you are planning to keep the vehicle or 5/6 years or more.

G3HC : ( I have not test driven this car, just based on what I have read ).
Positive points.
1) Engine is good.
2) Spacious ( not as much as Optra Magnum ).
3) Refinement.

Negative Points.
1) GC CAN be an issue.
2) Undertyred ( upgrade recommended ).
3) Honda A.S & S.

Optra Magnum :
Positive points.
1) Good engine.
2) More spacious than G3HC.
3) Ride is good along with stability at high speeds.

Negative points.
1) A.S & S. ( none of them are famous for good A.S & S. ).
2) Resale.
3) Interior build quality.
Old 1st November 2008, 12:36   #13
BHPian

I suggest you TD the Optra once again, probably another vehicle with another dealer – and if your enthusiasm stays with the vehicle, just go for it. You will start zooming at least a good 40 days ahead compared to the poor City. Another option is to TD the Cedia.
Both are feature rich and I would consider it one category above that of City.

PS: I suppose you have booked ANHC (not NHC)?
Old 1st November 2008, 12:43   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Can somebody throw light on the OTR price of ANHC and Magnum? i dont think they would be too different, if the price is close, say 30-40k difference, then it would certainly make sense to go for a Magnum as it is a more powerful car and runs on the cheaper fuel.

Also, with the current Chevy A.S.S offer, it would be very cheap on the pockets over a 5 year ownership period.

If i was in this dilemma, it would not have been a dilemma at all as the Magnum would be my choice
Old 1st November 2008, 13:01   #15
oss
BHPian

But for the resale value it's Optra Magnum all the way

The new Optra (Chevy Cruze) will come in at 12+ bracket, so it's in a different segment.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks