Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2008, 20:31   #1
Senior - BHPian

Scorpio Automatic OR City AT OR Corolla AT

Hi Guys,

I have been reading a lot on the forum here...am trying to figure out the best car for me....

New Honda City AT -- 9.58 L OTR
Corolla H4 Last Gen (not altis) -- 9 L -- Toyota U Trust (2007 Model, 19k Run, under warranty)
Scorpio AT - 12.02 L OTR (+10K for additional warranty)

Now, some analysis.

Honda City -- Stunner , Tried and tested car...not costly...(as compared to other shortlists)

Corolla H4 - Again tried and tested (though not getting preferred color choice)

Scorpio -- New Tech (A/T) , costly..

My heart goes to Scorpio...though moneywise I wud prefer corolla.

Would finalise in around next 10 days...

Need inputs from fellow BHPians on the following.

1. Can CNG be installed in these NEW cars? City and Diesel vehicle like Scorpio ? Is it done by people ?
2. All the cars are without any discounts...so donot have much choice on pricing front...

I want to own and drive the scorpio, considering the roads in my area...besides its height and SUV features, offroading is gr8, (roads outside Delhi are offroading in India, except few highways)

Please suggest on which car to buy ?
Old 4th November 2008, 20:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

Not sure whether CNG can be done on diesel cars but yes on petrol cars , its very much possible

Seems like you have already decided on the scorpio

I would not choose the corolla automatic over the scorpio and the honda city

Considering you want resale value in the future , i would suggest you to buy honda city , as scorpios and that too with auto tranny will not hold a good resale value - as i believe.
Old 4th November 2008, 21:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
Not sure whether CNG can be done on diesel cars but yes on petrol cars , its very much possible
Yes, CNG can be done on diesel vehicles, but with some modification.
So if CNG is not coming as standard fitment from manufacturer, best avoided. I am of the opinion that local mechanics,etc. cant do this conversion. Moreover, petrol or diesel, if in warranty period if you fit in CNG, then you will lose on warranty.

I your case, it all boils down to your requirements.
If offroading and more seats are not on the list, go for Corolla.

Edit : The price list :

Corolla Altis.
The search result was the name and contact number of dealers.

Lakozy Toyota
504, Link Road
Chicholi Bunder
Malad (West)
Mumbai-400064
Phone :91-22-6781-7777 / 7744
Fax :91-22-2881-7771 / 6781-7767

Madhuban Toyota
16, L B S Marg
Kurla West
Mumbai-400070
Phone :91-22-6643-9999
Fax :91-22-2502-8141/2502-8143

Millenium Toyota
Arpanna Motors P. Ltd.
'SREE KEDARNATH' Opp. Gokul Anand Hotel
Overipada, Western Express Highway,
Dahisar - East
Mumbai - 68
Phone :91-22-28920101 - 09
Fax :91-22-2891-9343

Shinrai Toyota
35, Dr. E Moses Road
Worli Naka
Mumbai-400018
Phone :91-22-6613-1500
Fax :91-22-6613-1598/ 6662-5326

Honda City.
City 1.5 S AT : Rs. 942,000
Ex-showroom price.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 4th November 2008 at 22:06.
Old 4th November 2008, 22:13   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Corolla H4 Last Gen (not altis) -- 9 L -- Toyota U Trust (2007 Model, 19k Run, under warranty)
Is it a pre-owned vehicle or a dealer vehicle? If it was a TD vehicle, then keep away from it.

Quote:
Honda City -- Stunner , Tried and tested car...not costly...(as compared to other shortlists)
If you are talking about the ANHC, then it is not even available for TD. I would rather not extend the assumption of tried and tested to this car yet. And suggest that TD the car first if you have any inclination for it.

Quote:
I want to own and drive the scorpio, considering the roads in my area...besides its height and SUV features, offroading is gr8, (roads outside Delhi are offroading in India, except few highways)

Please suggest on which car to buy ?
You seem to have decided and what t-bhpians to just endorse what you want. Then just go ahead with your liking.
Old 5th November 2008, 09:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Path_Finder View Post
Is it a pre-owned vehicle or a dealer vehicle? If it was a TD vehicle, then keep away from it.

If you are talking about the ANHC, then it is not even available for TD. I would rather not extend the assumption of tried and tested to this car yet. And suggest that TD the car first if you have any inclination for it.

You seem to have decided and what t-bhpians to just endorse what you want. Then just go ahead with your liking.

Hi Path_Finder....though I am very much keen on buying scorpio...wanted to know from fellow BHPians if this is the best time to buy Scorpio AT...if any one of you have bought it, how is the experience ? I have read the test drive done by Vivek...wanted to know user information reports...

Also, I meant Honda city tried and tested, that products from manufacturers like Honda and Toyota can be trusted for reliability...

Any Scorpio AT First Hand owners report ?
Old 5th November 2008, 11:17   #6
BHPian

I havent seen any usage reports on Scorpio AT yet.
Check out this TD report http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...st-driven.html
Old 5th November 2008, 12:22   #7
Senior - BHPian

That is one strange line up of cars you have selected. I mean all 3 very different from each other.

I would say forget the Corrolla. Too expensive !!

NHC is a good car, a stunner no doubt.

Scorpio is in a totally different league altogether. I have not seen any yet. In fact I went to the dealer here a few weeks back with a friend of mine and he was not all praises about it ( the dealer was not keen !! ). He says best is to go for the normal Scorpio Hawk or whatever the new thing is called.

I would say go for the ANHC.
Old 5th November 2008, 12:33   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Path_Finder View Post

I think Amit was just suggesting that City is a tried and tested car for previous generations, so this one to may not disappoint .

Among the 3 in the list i too would suggest the ANHC. If you can stretch your budget nothing like a Civic AT!
Old 5th November 2008, 14:38   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
I think Amit was just suggesting that City is a tried and tested car for previous generations, so this one to may not disappoint .

Among the 3 in the list i too would suggest the ANHC. If you can stretch your budget nothing like a Civic AT!
Hey Karan Civic is out of my range...I am a hard core corolla fan (used to travel daily in it in BKK ) so instead of civic AT will try Altis AT...but thats out of my budget...

I am willing to stretch for Scorpio as it is one of my dreams to buy an SUV.... Have asked the dealer to let me know some references who have Scorpio AT vehicle so that I can check with them...(he says will let me know...but am waiting for it...)

Am going to checkout ANHC AT today, will let you guys know...

Just to update, am looking for an AT vehicle Only...
Old 5th November 2008, 19:14   #10
Senior - BHPian

[quote=tanwaramit;1041546]
Am going to checkout ANHC AT today, will let you guys know...

quote]

Hey guys...just an update...checked the new Honda City today...its a good car..but I found the low seats too uncomforting (for ingress & egress) ...so I have ruled it out...

Now moving on to corolla/scorpio...

Will keep you posted on the purchase decision...
Old 5th November 2008, 22:18   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys...just an update...checked the new Honda City today...its a good car..but I found the low seats too uncomforting (for ingress & egress) ...so I have ruled it out...

Will keep you posted on the purchase decision...
Voila ! Another ANHC buyer down the drain! Among the two i would suggest the Corolla AT strongly.
Old 6th November 2008, 14:11   #12
BHPian

If its going to be only 1 car that you intend to keep- IMHO - Scorpio AT will be preferable as its all terrain all weather car with reasonable FE & resale value. It will give you good all round visibility, perceived performance, safety & convenience as well.
Old 6th November 2008, 16:12   #13
BHPian

I read good reviews of Scorpio AT in verious sites and auto magazines. Its a very good package considering it's a diesel SUV with MHawk engine and has auto transmission. The vehicle certainly commands respect on the road, I am sure all scorpio owners would agree with that?
Old 14th November 2008, 23:47   #14
BHPian

[quote=tanwaramit;1042009Hey guys...just an update...checked the new Honda City today...its a good car..but I found the low seats too uncomforting (for ingress & egress) ...so I have ruled it out...

Will keep you posted on the purchase decision...[/quote]any update on the decision?
Old 17th November 2008, 19:45   #15
Senior - BHPian

I'd typed a long long post but got disconnected and now everythings lost. Very annoying. I'll only precis write what I'd typed. Go for the Corolla A/T old-gen. There's nothing like it, and you will not regret it. Great FE, fantastic reliability. Unless the roads around you are so bad that here you don't have a choice at all, then it's Scorpio all the way. The ANHC is a speculative decision at this point of time, whatever anyone says.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks