Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2008, 15:24   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyamtanu View Post
Thanks... by the way, have you also considered changing the headlamp halogens to more powerful one, if anyone did, which one to go for?

is it a must to upgrade to 185 i.e. are the stock typres so sleek (rather thin for the size)?
Hi, I went for the Philips Xtreme Power +80% 55/60w bulbs which I bought directly from a UK online seller for aorund Rs. 1,600 (pair). They are now probably available in India with bill & warranty etc. Impressions are better intensity of light within a normal 55/60w area. Don't expect a 130w Rallye bulb effect which effectively blinds traffic on high beam. But worth it for my city driving as no warranty violation can ever be claimed on my Aveo by GM.

Tyres are now 195/60/R14s Yokohama ES100s. I would recommend going for 185/60 Michelin Pilot Preceda IIs (PP2s) (LINK: Michelin India - Pilot Preceda 2) which are very very good tyres and more than adequate for the Aveo's power.

There is no need for the upsize which I went for as the mileage will drop by at least 1km/lt ! But looks are .
Old 9th November 2008, 10:31   #47
Senior - BHPian

The Aveo looks better than the competition. However, GM has been around in India for more than 10 years, sold many cars, and has built up an existing clientele list. They also have a reputation now, not of the great kind. Like me, more people than not, have vowed not to buy their cars again in the near future for many reasons, of which some have to do with the car, some with service and parts, and a lot with finding buyers for resale. And word gets around.

This problem existed in 2003 when I bought my (hopefully last) GM car, and in the 5 years since then, there is not much to suggest that things have improved.
Old 9th November 2008, 11:42   #48
BHPian

Really? You like the Ikon's shift quality? My 1.6L Ikon is my pride and joy, but the shift quality has always been less that perfect. The throw is too long, and for someone who's about 5'10" and likes the seat set back a little bit, the location of the gear lever is less than optimal.
Compare the shift quality to the shift quality of a Swift (short throw) or an OHC/NHC (shorter, more precise, more damped throw) and the Ikon's shift seems pretty poor in comparison.
But... the engine more than makes up for this little niggle.

(MODS: Sorry, I know the comment's OT. Please delete if you think it's necessary.)[/quote]

Sorry, a different experience altogether. I'm 6'. Love my dad's 5 year old Ikon 1.6 SXi's shift compared to my Swift Vxi's. No reverse gear/first gear tantrums, still feels solid and substantial after all the abuse.

Getting back to the topic, I reckon the Aveo alienates a driving enthusiast. Why it alienates a sedate, comfort seeking driver, I fail to understand - maybe it just boils down to marketing.

When I drove my uncle's Aveo 1.4 LT, I thought it had the best ride in the 6-9 lac range. The interiors were fabulous, the sound insulation was terrific. Looked good. He sold it when it had done 15K - got around 5.1 lacs for it, not too bad a deal, I would say.

However, the handling was pathetic, the engine sounded thrashy about 3500 rpm, the steering had no feel - just couldn't summon up the confidence to hustle the car along. I almost lost control of the car once while I had to quickly swerve to avoid an auto - too much body roll.
Old 9th November 2008, 12:18   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When I drove my uncle's Aveo 1.4 LT, I thought it had the best ride in the 6-9 lac range. The interiors were fabulous, the sound insulation was terrific. Looked good. He sold it when it had done 15K - got around 5.1 lacs for it, not too bad a deal, I would say.

However, the handling was pathetic, the engine sounded thrashy about 3500 rpm, the steering had no feel - just couldn't summon up the confidence to hustle the car along. I almost lost control of the car once while I had to quickly swerve to avoid an auto - too much body roll.
d_himan What were his reasons to sell the car after 15K, was it something with the car, like the reasons you have mentioned or something else. I wanted to know this as i own an aveo as well.
Thanks
Old 9th November 2008, 13:12   #50
Senior - BHPian

I think the main reason why the likes of Aveo refuse to register with the buyers is:

1. Dodgy Korean Origin: Indian buyers want clean origin Jap/Euro/or American cars at competitive prices. Rebadged Korean Daewoo cars do not inspire any confidence.

2. Plight of Astra and Forester users. All GM 'prestige' model buyers in the past have been left high and dry with shutting down of entire brands by their Indian arm. Opel and Subaru buyers will feel let down due to their brands disappearing from India entirely.

this has destroyed buyer confidence in GM.
Old 9th November 2008, 19:16   #51
Senior - BHPian

And add this one also:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...ankruptcy.html

:-(
Old 11th November 2008, 17:34   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
d_himan What were his reasons to sell the car after 15K, was it something with the car, like the reasons you have mentioned or something else. I wanted to know this as i own an aveo as well.
Thanks
My question also, have seen quite a few being sold off in this range, why?
Old 12th November 2008, 10:37   #53
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
On the way to work this morning, I was just thinking of how GM's impending bankruptcy will affect its Indian operations:

1. Will buyers beware? Will they lose faith?

2. Investments? Any expansion plans or capital infusion will surely be delayed. Infinitely.
Old 12th November 2008, 10:56   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
On the way to work this morning, I was just thinking of how GM's impending bankruptcy will affect its Indian operations:

The biggest loser of this might be SPARK. I am sure people didn't forget the fact that previous version of the same car (Matiz) went through the same when Daewoo went bankrupt.

I am sure competition (Maruti, Hyundai) are rubbing their hands in glee waiting to make the most of the GM bankruptcy (if it happens). They will probably make sure everyone knows about it.

Quote:
2. Investments? Any expansion plans or capital infusion will surely be delayed. Infinitely.
There goes the hopes of Captiva 4X4 AT
Old 18th November 2008, 20:52   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Dear All,

I am also bit surprised that they are claiming to give ABS with drum brakes in the rear wheels... does it mean only front wheels will be ABS enabled... you are never sure how they cheat you.. so if someone can throw some light it will help a lot.

Thanks
what about the swift then??? ABS works on any type of brake setup. only thing the efficiency varies.
Old 18th November 2008, 21:42   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f50xj13 View Post
what about the swift then??? ABS works on any type of brake setup. only thing the efficiency varies.
Correct. Even the All New Honda City has rear drum breaks with ABS
Old 19th November 2008, 11:19   #57
BHPian

Yes, GM going bankrupcy will definitely hit our car market sentiment. On a lighter note, in 1999 I influenced a friend of mine to buy Matiz and Daewoo went kaput couple of yrs later, he still curses me but his car runs still gr8. About 6 months back, I influenced my another friend to buy a Magnum and dont know what's in store???

Heard from CNBC yesterday, its not something like GM going out of business like what happened to Daewoo but instead will undergo a complete restructuring including lay-off's. The big 3 US automajors are asking their government for a guess $40b bail out package. The only solace being GM India products dependent on GM Daewoo alliance which is still strong.... but will somebody bet their money on?

Will the bigger loser be Maruti? GM is off loading its entire stake in Suzuki, which could very well mean the Fiat MJD engine contracted to Suzuki thru GM is at stake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Last edited by AirWind : 19th November 2008 at 11:23.
Old 19th November 2008, 11:25   #58
BHPian

Will the bigger loser be Maruti? GM is off loading its entire stake in Suzuki, which could very well mean the Fiat MJD engine contracted to Suzuki thru GM is at stake![/quote]

hi Airwind

I would appreciate if you could put some more light on how Fiat Maruti contract for engines would be effected if GM goes bankrupt?

Thanks

Amit
Old 19th November 2008, 11:57   #59
BHPian

Quote:
My question also, have seen quite a few being sold off in this range, why?
sorry guys for the late reply, my uncle had sold off his Aveo due to the foll. reasons

a. His friend was in the market for a mid-sizer, the Aveo was maintained really well and the 5 lac + offer was pretty tempting since he was always a bit scared about the resale value.

b. A sub-par service experience with Sundaram Motors, Chennai - I think a part took close to a couple of weeks to arrive and he wasn't too amused.

c. His son wanted something sportier

Incidentally, he bought the SX4 ZXi after selling off the Aveo and then a Swift VDi. The SX4 usually lies in the garage - to me, it didn't make a sensible upgrade from the Aveo.
Old 19th November 2008, 12:17   #60
BHPian

Correct me if I am wrong. I believe the facelifted Ikon is available in diesel option as well (Duratorq), So that makes the segment ruled by dzire, logan and Indigo a bit more competent.

Coming back to the topic on the Aveo. I think enough has been said about Aveo already.I would say go for the car if you dont care a damm about the resale value. In the present day even Ford's future doesnt look good and I think resale value of almost all cars will go for a toss.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks