Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2008, 15:21   #1

Buying stripped down Octavia RS

Hi

This is my first post on the forum and quite confused as well - what car to buy. I've been doing the research for a few weeks now and am convinced that i need a bigger car than the smaller Getz i have today. Looked around for choices and test drove a few - ANHC, Hyundai Verna and finally Octavia 1.9 TDi

Did not like the new ANHC - i read the test drive reports (which were extremely informative) but somehow did not like the interiors for the price that you're asked to pay

Verna was good - but the design looked old and it looked out of place. The Diesel version was nice to drive though - potential choice

And finally, i went to look at Octavia 1.9 TDi, the sales person also showed me the beast - Octavia RS 2.0L Petrol with Turbo Charger and i loved the car the moment i saw it (though did not get a chance to test drive). I was told that Skoda has kept the engine, chasis & suspension and has stripped down all the frills - was quoting about 12.6L on road and with some frills, it'd go up to 14L

So, my million dollar question - should i or should i not? I know that the owners of Octavia have no major complaints - but wasn't sure if it was ok to buy the Petrol variant for that price. There are talks about another Octavia version next year - will the "not so much manufactured model" get the support from the company

Any thoughts/pointers would be greatly appreciated

Sesha
Old 2nd December 2008, 19:06   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Octavia RS 2.0L Petrol with Turbo Charger and i loved the car the moment i saw it (though did not get a chance to test drive).
Actually, its a 1.8L engine. Rather than buying a Rider for 12.xx lakhs with a basic level of trim, you'd rather pick up a pristine used RS for 7.5 lakhs. Goodies include xenons, sunroof, 16" alloys and a whole lot more. The RS depreciates like stink. Take advantage of it. Plenty of examples around with 30K on the odo.
Old 2nd December 2008, 19:31   #3
Senior - BHPian

I would advice you the same as GTO.
Get a vRs for around 7-8 lakh and get it modded with ICE , Performance etc.

Cheers.
Old 2nd December 2008, 19:41   #4
BHPian

Also when buying a car remember to get a feel of how much it will cost you in the long run.The car might give bad economy, parts may breakdown quickly, etc etc.
That's why it's safer to stay with the Jap chaps:0
Old 2nd December 2008, 19:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

People will pay anything for a turbo, morphin
Old 2nd December 2008, 22:56   #6

Thanks for that folks - really appreciate it

Well, looking at other threads and knowing that Linea is around the corner, i'd rather wait and see how things turn out before jumping into used vRS
or anything else
Old 2nd December 2008, 23:48   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesha View Post
Hi

So, my million dollar question - should i or should i not? I know that the owners of Octavia have no major complaints - but wasn't sure if it was ok to buy the Petrol variant for that price. There are talks about another Octavia version next year - will the "not so much manufactured model" get the support from the company

Any thoughts/pointers would be greatly appreciated

Sesha
I am not sure whether the RS comes in Automatic option, but I have heard a lot of complaints about the Clutch plate failure again and again in the manual Octi's.
Old 5th December 2008, 12:14   #8
BHPian

Dude theres nothing better than an used RS. Total VFM. I have got all that I want in this car. I own couple of the jap cars but the RS runs on testosterone and nothing else. Trust me once you drive the RS you wouldnt touch anyother car(except the beemer).
Old 6th December 2008, 17:21   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Actually, its a 1.8L engine. Rather than buying a Rider for 12.xx lakhs with a basic level of trim, you'd rather pick up a pristine used RS for 7.5 lakhs. Goodies include xenons, sunroof, 16" alloys and a whole lot more. The RS depreciates like stink. Take advantage of it. Plenty of examples around with 30K on the odo.
How I wish that were true. Well maintained RS' that are up for sale are as rare as snowflakes in July! I did a lot of hunting around recently, but no luck. If you do know of such specimens, please let me know. I know some folks who are looking.

Another option could be a used 1.8 TPi (Rider). Doesn't have all the bells and whistles of an RS, but the mechanicals are the same. Some of the missing accessories can always be added on later. It's probably also a safer choice than the RS, because it has less gizmos on it that can go wrong - xenons, sunroof, heated seats, climate control etc etc....anything goes kaput out of insurance - am sure you get the picture.
Old 6th December 2008, 17:30   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsfx View Post
Dude theres nothing better than an used RS. Total VFM. I have got all that I want in this car. I own couple of the jap cars but the RS runs on testosterone and nothing else. Trust me once you drive the RS you wouldnt touch anyother car(except the beemer).
I drive my cousin's 325i many a times. But there's its not as fun as the vRs. To Me atleast.
Old 6th December 2008, 18:09   #11
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

The 2.0 Petrol was the model that was first launched along with the 1.9TDi. I guess it didnt sell as much as the 1.9 so you could avoid that. I believe its sluggish and has a bad fuel efficiency as well.

Confirm if its a 1.8 T (thats the RS engine) or the 2.0 Petrol.
Old 6th December 2008, 19:57   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
I drive my cousin's 325i many a times. But there's its not as fun as the vRs. To Me atleast.
The fun factor being the turbo charger.

I suggest you take a look at the Laura Ambient(Throw in a ECU remap if you want more power), Altis and Civic too.
A used RS is might be good VFM but why buy a used car when you can afford a new one.
Old 6th December 2008, 20:58   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

New octavia is launched in europe. No idea when it will be here but looks nice with good specs as well. Here's the link:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...a-octavia.html
Old 7th December 2008, 15:18   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
The 2.0 Petrol was the model that was first launched along with the 1.9TDi. I guess it didnt sell as much as the 1.9 so you could avoid that. I believe its sluggish and has a bad fuel efficiency as well.
That's correct. We had a 2.0 Elegance. It isn't a performance car, though it is capable of high speeds (180+).
- There is a pretty big flat spot that is felt while accelerating in 2nd or 3rd.
- FE is pretty bad. In the city, we used to get anywhere between 6 and 8 kpl, nothing more.

Nice comfortable car to be driven around in, but not a driver's car.
Old 8th December 2008, 13:06   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesha View Post
Thanks for that folks - really appreciate it

Well, looking at other threads and knowing that Linea is around the corner, i'd rather wait and see how things turn out before jumping into used vRS
or anything else
I would do that if I were you..and do a lots of TD's of others before the Linnea gets launched

Mitsubishi - Can also be looked at

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks