Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2008, 17:37   #16
BHPian

Well, as an automobile enthusiast I am sure you would not want to follow the herd and go for the Laura/ Jetta/ Accord. If I were to spend that kinda money exclusively for my own personal transport, I would go in for a customized retro car, a one-of-a-kind machine that's reliable as well as easy on maintenance.

How about a two-door Octavia TDi convertible with a power soft-top! As a BHP-ian you gotta think off the theory books.
Old 12th December 2008, 17:44   #17
BHPian

Well if I had the money, I would have gone for the skoda Laura. And then if would have had some spare dough I would have called Mr. Peter
Old 12th December 2008, 19:14   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
It's too early to make such judgements on the Jetta's resale, Anku. And I see no reason why it would depreciate anymore than the Laura.
IMO, judging by the global presence, the Skoda brand is down market and VW is higher. Give a choice i'd pay the slight difference and superior interiors,etc. But choice is yours, i would still recommend you to test drive all the options before deciding.
The Brand isnt doing that well as of now. Not sure about the future. So i cant wait that long. Iam sure a Laura would have a better resale value than the Jetta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Take Laura Ambientee. Its quiet nice and in your budget as well. You wont regret buying it.
Jetta has been experiencing some technical probs and you will find the threads on the forum itself so i will suggest stay clear of it as of now.
Could you elaborate more on these Technical problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_sid View Post
Well if I had the money, I would have gone for the skoda Laura. And then if would have had some spare dough I would have called Mr. Peter
Well Mr Peter is Definetly on the list. But 1 Question. Doesnt warranty get void if i instal a petes box..??? How will this affect my 3 year Maintainence plan..??
Old 12th December 2008, 19:32   #19
Senior - BHPian

Yes Warranty is voided with Pete's thats why people take the box out when it goes to service. Its a 10 min job.
As for Jetta search the forum you will find the threads.
Old 13th December 2008, 13:40   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Yes Warranty is voided with Pete's thats why people take the box out when it goes to service. Its a 10 min job.
As for Jetta search the forum you will find the threads.
Might want to stay away from Jetta for now then.

The Search is Narrowed down to

1) Laura (Base model)
2) Octavia Ryder (Top of the line, Same price as Base Laura)
3) Used CLEAN Skoda Vrs (1st on my wish list)
4) Used CLEAN Honda Accord 2.4 (2nd on my wish list)
5) Magnum..???
Old 13th December 2008, 14:11   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Nah... i wouldn't go for the magnum...
I would go for base model of laura rather than the top one of the octavia.
Old 13th December 2008, 17:18   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku View Post

1) Laura (Base model)
5) Magnum..???
Anku I would suggest.

1) Used CLEAN Vrs (It will come much cheaper than what you plan to spend). You can use the remaining dough to upgrade to a o9 Busa or deposit it in the bank and spend the interest money on the fuel bills of the Vrs (I have heard from a few that its thirsty but i still think it will return you 9kmpl) you will be enjoying a 150 bhp family sedan. (+ Comparatively lower insurance premium down the line but - lower resale too.)

2) Spanking new Laura Ambient with 3 year maintainence package & 50% discount on Insurance. (+ Higher resale value but - higher insurance premiums too.)

As you said that you would like to customize & modify the car, I think the RS with FFE & a decent ICE setup will surely sound & feel better than the LAURA.

Think over it.
Old 13th December 2008, 20:37   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku View Post

1) Laura (Base model)
5) Magnum..???
VW is not doing good sales thats what I have read on the net. Their expectations were high, but their own brand Skoda is rated higher by customer and its true that as of now, Skoda Laura will have better resale than Jetta.

Out of the list you have mentioned, I suggest stay away from GM because of its current economic condition. Now they are in pretty serious trouble, and overall, it may or may not affect India, but its better to be on the safe side.

Also IMHO, dont go for used VRS atleast. The Skoda A.S & S. is not good, and VRS is discontinued.

Out of Used CLEAN Accord and Brand NEW Laura, I would suggest go for Laura as it will be brand new car. It matches the need of a diesel car. If you are not keen for diesel, go for Used CLEAN Accord.

So IMO, If diesel is a top priority, Laura or Accord.
Old 13th December 2008, 22:49   #24
BANNED

Laura Is Final Now Wil Go And Book It Tommoro Can Anyone Tell Me Best Showroom Which Gives Good Deal
Old 19th December 2008, 22:30   #25
BANNED

hey friends as of my dad is saying the car price will come down more on 2009 year should i wait for it or i should book it
Old 19th December 2008, 22:38   #26
Senior - BHPian

It might. But you won't get the maintenance plan. Considering how Lauras are not so reliable (especially with turbo failures and electronics problems, the former with 1L+ bills for repair), I would take the warranty instead of someone's advice about a probable drop in price. You're spending 15L. How much % are you going to expect you will save by waiting? I'd pay that kind of money for peace of mind.
Old 19th December 2008, 22:54   #27
BHPian

why dont you look at used diesel skoda superb as well. You can get an immaculate piece at this price.
Old 19th December 2008, 22:56   #28
BHPian

Ya, do not wait further. Even i will be booking a laura on monday! This is the best time to buy a laura. All the offers and discounts will not be valid from Jan 1st.
Old 21st December 2008, 00:59   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
It might. But you won't get the maintenance plan. Considering how Lauras are not so reliable (especially with turbo failures and electronics problems, the former with 1L+ bills for repair), .
I thought only Laura DSG's had reliability issues!!!.

And Skoda is shouting from the rooftops that the discounts and maintanence plan offer will be void from Jan 2009. But dont they always say that to increase sales for the current period?.

But personally I would suggest you to book the car now , because even a 10% chance of losing the maintanence plan offer is not good.

Last edited by artofzen : 21st December 2008 at 01:02.
Old 21st December 2008, 12:52   #30
BANNED

just ask the dealer what all i get in 3 years maintaince plan he was like what all is needed in service like engine oil,oil fillter,air fillter,,,cleaning and all stuff thats alll for 40000 he was giving me i even ask what if my clucth plate is gone or any problem happen to car he was like sir you have to pay for that still very much confuse 40 grand just for all that is it worte

Last edited by anku : 21st December 2008 at 12:53.

Most Viewed