Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2009, 21:10   #1
Senior - BHPian

Special needs. Linea vs. Aveo vs. Fiesta

We've been looking to buy a new car since 3 years. but something or the other has always taken priority.

I have a special requirement here though. My mom has a problem with noise in the car as her ears are sensitive. Also the Vibration noise from the engine which enters the body at low rpms is an issue. So I need a car which has the lowest NVH and really comfortable and good looking interiors. NO compromises on this one.

Spoilers and Body kits are not needed. Neither are Bluetooth and stereo controls.

Budget is about 6.5 lacs

I am looking at

Fiat Linea emotion
Ford Fiesta Zxi
Chevrolet Aveo 1.4 LT limited
Chevrolet aveo 1.6 LT

Also rans ( I dont mind Hatches)
Hyundai Getz CRDI (Is an I20 diesel in the pipeline??)
maruti swift petrol/Diesel
Fiat grande punto ( I can wait)

I have heard that 1.6 LT Aveo has a hood insulation and is really silent and comfortable to drive. My dad had also liked it. Diesels have not made inroads in our family yet but if they are silent enough we can think about them.

Please suggest.
Old 13th February 2009, 21:52   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
We've been looking to buy a new car since 3 years. but something or the other has always taken priority.

I have a special requirement here though. My mom has a problem with noise in the car as her ears are sensitive. Also the Vibration noise from the engine which enters the body at low rpms is an issue. So I need a car which has the lowest NVH and really comfortable and good looking interiors. NO compromises on this one.

Spoilers and Body kits are not needed. Neither are Bluetooth and stereo controls.

Budget is about 6.5 lacs

I am looking at

Fiat Linea emotion
Ford Fiesta Zxi
Chevrolet Aveo 1.4 LT limited
Chevrolet aveo 1.6 LT

Also rans ( I dont mind Hatches)
Hyundai Getz CRDI (Is an I20 diesel in the pipeline??)
maruti swift petrol/Diesel
Fiat grande punto ( I can wait)

I have heard that 1.6 LT Aveo has a hood insulation and is really silent and comfortable to drive. My dad had also liked it. Diesels have not made inroads in our family yet but if they are silent enough we can think about them.

Please suggest.
well devarshi let me put it straight:

1. Chevy Aveo - yes the NVH is lower in comparision but neither the 1.4 LT (limited with alloys etc) or the 1.6 are refined when it comes to the engine or the drive. It is a good looking car no doubt but IMHO your mom or dad would not appreciate the frequent gear changes. Plus resale value will be low later.

2. Fiat Linea - Although me beign a FIAT fan will gun for it - honestly the pertrol is tad underpowered. The diesel is the way to go - no frequent gear changes, good for the city, average NVH levels, great addons, decent drive. S;ightly underpowered but 90% of the general usage and even hwy runs would suffice with it. Then again its a FIAT - so generally poor resale value although IMHO its a great car.

3. ord Fiesta ZXI - A true drivers car - awesome drive, slightly stiff suspension, average to good NVH levels. The petrol is a steal actually with a more refine engine in compariison to the diesel. Plus now they are offering ABS and the works with it. MY BEST BET FOR YOU. Mind the slightly lower resale value in compariison to Maruti, Honda etc

4. Getz CDRI vs i20 - Good power, average NVH (diesel), decent hwy car - can be slightly cumbersome in city below 2200 rpm. Decent space but dated looks. With i20 in the market (its actual replacement in global markets) wont find too many takers like the Accent which even the sales guys ask you not to take (honestly it happened to me a month back). Regardign the i20 - if you dont mind the higher costs and tad underpowered engine you can go for it. Its got decent interiors, some good addons and looks great in person. Resale should be good - and did i say good NVH levels. No news of i20 diesel at least for the next 1 year.

5. Maruti Swift - Looks great still - the truly first Indian (successful) hot hatch. But at the same time the RATTLE KING. (oh so the Fiat palio 1.6 was the actual one). The petrol is a great car - handles great, decent VFM, good FE. The diesel - OMG its a bonker. Peted it can feature in the Indian version for NFS - great torque for city driving and good for the highyway. The recommended one is the diesel but one has to live with the rattles with cases reported within the first 2-3k kms. Though it can be fixed with damping material and good relationship and some meagre amount of money to the service guy at M.A.S.S.

So in conclusion my take is for a sedan go for the Fiesta ZXI (get a good deal on OTR price + addons giveaway this month), or if it a hatch i20(Asta) it is.

PS: Grande punto launch happens after 1 year at least - then you will have the Honda Jazz in Sept-Oct this year, Volks Golf (last quarter this year - early next year), and Chevrolet Cruze (this year), Toyota small car (this year) - see all this will make you car buying decession even more difficult. If you want want - go for it now. You can get a good deal from the dealers now.. Note most of these cars will be over your 6 lakh budget
Old 13th February 2009, 22:40   #3
BHPian

Well, for noise filtration in cabin, i think no one can beat Honda.

Also, for that, you have to forget about the diesel also.

According to me, Aveo & Linea both having good interiers.

Linea is new & lots of people praising it, while Aveo is out of even comparison with other sedans.

New Model of Fiesta is also will be there after a year or so.

If you believe in me, than there is a real good choice, that i think its way better than all these average cars.

Go for a new NHC ZX GXI.

It is still available, with lots of discount, and its much better compare to Fiesta, Aveo, Linea.

Engine is super smooth (no noise at all), Marvelous interiors (best even compare to 10 lac lacs sedan), High FE (at par with hatchbacks!), High status (Compare to all of its competitors), High resale even if discontinued (Look OHC), Years of trouble free happy moments (Just your mom wants).

So, IMO, NHC ZX GXI its perfectly suited in your case.

If you are worrying that, its a discontinued model (no problem with spares & resale value though) than go for a Linea.

Last edited by loving_alaap : 13th February 2009 at 22:42.
Old 14th February 2009, 04:58   #4
Senior - BHPian

Honda for one is Banished from my list of cars I love or I may suggest or I may buy. Unless they price them reasonably.

we may compromise of Fun to Drive factor if a car offers better NVH.

If we go for the Hatch, it will replace the wagonR. If we go for the sedan it will replace the lancer.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 14th February 2009 at 05:00.
Old 14th February 2009, 06:26   #5
BHPian

my two cents go for the fiesta ZXi with added features now.if you live close to their service centers then i say go right ahead.you will love the ride!!
Old 14th February 2009, 06:29   #6
BHPian

Get the cheapest Honda City i-dsi available 2nd hand or the i20 the NVH was quite low in the car that i test drove , and of course petrol cars always possess better NVH characteristics compared to diesel.
Old 14th February 2009, 07:50   #7
Senior - BHPian

Out of the cars listed down, my opinion will be :

1) Ford Fiesta : Go for the petrol as it will suit the budget. Very refined and comfortable with good ride quality. Feels solid also. Noise insulation is quite good.

2) Chevrolet Aveo : This car has one of the best NVH characteristics and shows hard work done by GM behind this. Out of 1.4 and 1.6, if the car is mainly to be driven in city, go for 1.4 or else if combined driving will be done or highway driving, go for 1.6. Doesn't feel as solid as Ford Fiesta.

3) Getz : I dont like the sound insulation. When I travelled in it, I was not happy about this factor. Nothing special about this.

4) i20 : Worth a look, but its very overpriced. Can be a good deal if the car is going to see more city roads than highways.

5) Swift : Go for this one if you are going to use the car the most. Else avoid it. Although sound insulation is one of the best in both petrol and diesel, the cabin is said to rattle. Its more of fun to drive car. If you are able to tolerate those rattles, this is the hatch to have.

6) GP : Nothing, havent read any reviews or seen in person.

I suggest you go for Ford Fiesta. A good car with nice NVH and ride quality and can be also enjoyed on long drives.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 14th February 2009 at 07:56.
Old 14th February 2009, 09:26   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Out of the cars listed down, my opinion will be :

1) Ford Fiesta : Go for the petrol as it will suit the budget. Very refined and comfortable with good ride quality. Feels solid also. Noise insulation is quite good.

2) Chevrolet Aveo : This car has one of the best NVH characteristics and shows hard work done by GM behind this. Out of 1.4 and 1.6, if the car is mainly to be driven in city, go for 1.4 or else if combined driving will be done or highway driving, go for 1.6. Doesn't feel as solid as Ford Fiesta.

3) Getz : I dont like the sound insulation. When I travelled in it, I was not happy about this factor. Nothing special about this.

4) i20 : Worth a look, but its very overpriced. Can be a good deal if the car is going to see more city roads than highways.

5) Swift : Go for this one if you are going to use the car the most. Else avoid it. Although sound insulation is one of the best in both petrol and diesel, the cabin is said to rattle. Its more of fun to drive car. If you are able to tolerate those rattles, this is the hatch to have.

6) GP : Nothing, havent read any reviews or seen in person.

I suggest you go for Ford Fiesta. A good car with nice NVH and ride quality and can be also enjoyed on long drives.
The only reason i would not suggest getting fiesta is because they are for sure going to launch a new model next year and then your Fiesta would become obsolete and no matter how great a car this fiesta is you would always feel cheated. I would suggest you to go for Linea dynamic pk. Loaded with features, awesome pricing and VFM.
Old 14th February 2009, 09:40   #9
Senior - BHPian

What an Aveo doing in here? The cheapest around with the best maintenance warranty around I presume.

Linea, if diesel ,else Fiesta 1.6.

Wait; Fiesta interiors aint that awesome when you compare with the Linea's and so would Linea's NVH and ride quality.

i20 will be a good buy too.
Old 14th February 2009, 09:51   #10
Senior - BHPian

Looking at noise insulation factor i would suggest Honda City and Chevrolet Aveo.
Old 14th February 2009, 11:14   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by loving_alaap View Post
Well, for noise filtration in cabin, i think no one can beat Honda.

Go for a new NHC ZX GXI.

It is still available, with lots of discount, and its much better compare to Fiesta, Aveo, Linea.

Engine is super smooth (no noise at all), Marvelous interiors (best even compare to 10 lac lacs sedan), High FE (at par with hatchbacks!), High status (Compare to all of its competitors), High resale even if discontinued (Look OHC), Years of trouble free happy moments (Just your mom wants).

So, IMO, NHC ZX GXI its perfectly suited in your case.

If you are worrying that, its a discontinued model (no problem with spares & resale value though) than go for a Linea.
That is the perfect suggestion yet on this thread. The NHC makes perfect sense for your requirements. We have one in the family and it is an immensely refined vehicle with light controls which make it perfect for city and occasional highway drives. And being a Honda, it is bloddy reliable. The best no headache vehicle for your family.

Have'nt driven either the Fiesta or Aveo, but atleast the Linea is no match for the NHC atleast as far as NVH levels are concerned. On the other hand, the Linea has a ride and handling package that is far far better than the NHC. And it isn't all that difficult to drive in the city, the clutch feels light and nice to use. Add to that, the feature list is impressive in comparison to the NHC. But in your case, the NHC is the best deal.

Last edited by roms : 14th February 2009 at 11:22.
Old 14th February 2009, 13:08   #12
Senior - BHPian

If the main deciding factor are NVH levels, interiors and comfort, then definately my vote would go in for the Aveo.

I have owned the 1.4 version for 6 months now and have clocked almost 10k on the odo, and till now there has'nt been any single problem regarding rattles or sub standard equipment. Plus the 3yrs Cashless Ownership maintenace package is a big boon.

But again let your mom sit in all the cars and let her decide in which she is most comfortabe.

All the best.

Last edited by deky : 14th February 2009 at 13:09.
Old 14th February 2009, 19:33   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
Honda for one is Banished from my list of cars I love or I may suggest or I may buy. Unless they price them reasonably.
Just a note : You may find Honda & Toyota over-priced in India. But their resale is strong and cost of ownership extremely low. A 5 - 10 year ownership calculation will show you that they are cheaper to own than most competing cars.
Old 14th February 2009, 19:36   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
If the main deciding factor are NVH levels, interiors and comfort, then definately my vote would go in for the Aveo.

I have owned the 1.4 version for 6 months now and have clocked almost 10k on the odo, and till now there has'nt been any single problem regarding rattles or sub standard equipment. Plus the 3yrs Cashless Ownership maintenace package is a big boon.

But again let your mom sit in all the cars and let her decide in which she is most comfortabe.

All the best.
well teh NVH is acceptable (good) in the Aveo but drive is not - short gearing meaning you have to do frequent gear changes in the city. The 1.4 will fall short again on the highway while the 1.6 will be drag in the city. Plus the resale value will fetch peanit - seniors comment please.

And the orgiginal budget -

Get the Fiesta - for 4-5 years this will be good. The petrol maintenance is not high and the drive awesome.

Or the i20 - believe me its a steal fully loaded though underp[owered. But your mom will appreciate it.

PS: Punto comes next year - wish it was here now.
Old 16th February 2009, 04:35   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Just a note : You may find Honda & Toyota over-priced in India. But their resale is strong and cost of ownership extremely low. A 5 - 10 year ownership calculation will show you that they are cheaper to own than most competing cars.
That maybe a correct logic but then ANHC doesnt fit in my budget and I wouldnt want to go for an old gen car. Same for Toyota. Again the dealer in Ahmedabad sucks so much Honda approved a second dealer. Dunno how he handles A.S.S.

So I have to basically look at

1. Ford Fiesta. (when is the replacement due?) I will wait a whole year for the European Fiesta.)
I loved the elegant and straight forward interiors. A.S.S. is handled by a competant dealer. Also the frond dash is designed well and is handy. The dashbox doesnt touch my knee all the time.

2. Chevrolet Aveo. I know its not doing well but the last time I drove it, the interiors appealed to me and the drive was good as well. Not the best for a driver though and the dash was a constant irritant on the passenger seat touching my knee. I could not open the dashbox. How effective will be the Hood insulation on the 1.6LT?

3. Fiat Linea. I loved the car totally but the design. I like sharper designs better. Doesnt make sense looking at other cars in the first instance. But how is the dash design implementation? Does the dashbox touch the knee all the time? that's a big irritant. How is the NVH?

Swift is not really to my liking though I have developed a taste of it seeing so many on the road everyday. i20 is well, expensive. So I maybe looking at Fiat Grande Punto.

Wow! that's 2 fiat's on my list. their Marketing and R&D department finally seems to be working.

Most Viewed