Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which car do you think suits my requirements better?
Accord 4 20.00%
OHC 12 60.00%
Something else (mentioned in my post below) 4 20.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2009, 21:41   #1
BHPian

Used Accord V/s OHC..Which one to choose?

I'm starting this thread with the hope that my fellow BHP'ians can help me out with my buying decision without getting into a debate about which one of these is a better drivers car. I've been through several threads that discuss the pros/cons of the cars I'm considering.The two cars are:

1. OHC VTEC 2002-2003
2. HONDA ACCORD [ You ppl help me decide the year ]

I have seen an OHC VTEC 2003 Model.The dealer is quoting 3L negotiable.The car is driven around 62000ish Kms.The car is Single owner.The color of the car is mond silver.The color of the car was faded and it had scratches allover.Not sure about engine quality[Need to go and check with a mechanic].Looks as if it wasn't maintained by the previous owner.

My question is how much should i be paying for this car.

Then i thought if am paying that much for the OHC then why shouldnt i go for the Accord which is 2.3 and has much bigger room and appeal than the OHC.

According to you all which year ACCORD would i get for that price and if i consider ACCORD then what would be the difference between the maintainence,running cost of both the cars.

If ACCORD fits in my budget of 3L then then that would be the best thing but i also have to look at the running costs.Whats the use of buying a car which gives you best bang for your money but ultimately costs more.It really doesnt make sense right.

My budget would be around 3L for the final thing what i will be driving i.e spending on the ice,tires etc.So i need to buy the car for much less and then spend to bring the car to its final shape.No doubt if i go for the ACCORD then i would have to be happy with what am getting for that price.You cant get all things in life,right Man i hate that part.

Right now am thinking of a decent ICE and good tires to drive with.Will think of upgrading things at a later stage.The things i've thought are an essential for any car right

Ok people Which one you guys think will be worth buying?Please help me narrow down my choices by refuting/validation the assumptions that I've made above.

Thanks BHP'ians,
OHC VTEC
Old 15th August 2009, 22:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

The VTEC is light and agile. The Accord is big and comfortable. What do you want more?
Old 15th August 2009, 22:36   #3
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

3L budget for car, ice, tires, rims? I doubt either of the cars will fit your bill.
Old 15th August 2009, 22:46   #4
BHPian

^ +1. 3L might, just might, get you an OHC VTec that's done well over 1L kms- anything lower mileage and please start doubting the car's credentials (wrt maintenance and overall health).

And please forget landing an Accord in 3L, unless you are ok to spend 1-2L extra to 'restore' it.
Old 15th August 2009, 22:53   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
The VTEC is light and agile. The Accord is big and comfortable. What do you want more?
Of coarse a car is more fun when its light and agile but if you are buying a sedan then it should be big and comfortable that's why you pay that extra bit right over hatchbacks.
I was also considering swift earlier as an option but dropped it because of space and now the competition is between these both.
Old 15th August 2009, 22:59   #6
Senior - BHPian

I saw an used accord for 4 L at a used car dealer last week. Looked like it was in good condition...
Old 15th August 2009, 23:09   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
Ofcoarse the car is more fun when its light and agile but if you are buying a sedan then it should be spacious,that why you pay that extra bit right compared to a hatchback.
i was considering swift too but dropped it because of space.

@AbhiJ which year was it n which owner?
Old 16th August 2009, 00:18   #8
Senior - BHPian

Dont know about Mumbai.. but you can certainly get 2002-03 OHC in Delhi between 2.5 to 3lacs.. plus after sale of 2002-03 (1st gen accord) is also bad and one can get it around 3lacs. In mumbai Iam sure they will cost more..
Old 16th August 2009, 10:50   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
3L budget for car, ice, tires, rims? I doubt either of the cars will fit your bill.
3L for car,tires(if upgrade is required),ice and no rims (i dnt have a prob with the stock vtec rims)
Old 16th August 2009, 12:15   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
Dont know about Mumbai.. but you can certainly get 2002-03 OHC in Delhi between 2.5 to 3lacs.. plus after sale of 2002-03 (1st gen accord) is also bad and one can get it around 3lacs. In mumbai Iam sure they will cost more..
i dint know after sale of 2002-03 (1 gen) accord was bad..thanx for bringing up this point.
Old 16th August 2009, 16:22   #11
BHPian

GURUS at TEAM-BHP..where are you all ? why arent you replyin..i have to take a decision by today as tomm is monday and have to ans that guy who owns the vtec.
Old 16th August 2009, 21:46   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHC VTEC View Post
I have seen an OHC VTEC 2003 Model.The dealer is quoting 3L negotiable.The car is driven around 62000ish Kms.The car is Single owner.The color of the car is mond silver.The color of the car was faded and it had scratches allover.Not sure about engine quality[Need to go and check with a mechanic].Looks as if it wasn't maintained by the previous owner.

Not more than 1.7L looking at your description abt the quality of the car.
My OHC costed bit more than what I quoted. But then the condition was gr8 for a used car engine/suspension etc wise and also exterior wise (no scratches at all).

If you sit inside the car how do you feel? If the feel of a want to stay in the car or does the car repel you? If the vibes are -ve just reject the car.

Last edited by subscrive : 16th August 2009 at 21:51.
Old 17th August 2009, 00:08   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subscrive View Post
Not more than 1.7L looking at your description abt the quality of the car.
My OHC costed bit more than what I quoted. But then the condition was gr8 for a used car engine/suspension etc wise and also exterior wise (no scratches at all).

If you sit inside the car how do you feel? If the feel of a want to stay in the car or does the car repel you? If the vibes are -ve just reject the car.
1.7 for an OHC VTEC..
which variant and year was your OHC..
the car i had seen..when i sat inside it was good nt gr8 bt exterior dint appeal to me at all.
Old 17th August 2009, 03:30   #14
BHPian

Any car you choose one has to spend a good amount of money in re-conditioning it to bring it at par to your usage satisfaction level.
Now it all depends how much you can spare for spending on it after shedding out the initial buying cost keeping the fact in mind that Accord spares/maintenance would be costlier than the OHC.

As per me if you have budgetted 3L then you should try to get the OHC at 2.5L which is possible for the 2003 model + 50K max for the re-conditioning (my personal experience).

So I would vote for the OHC over the Accord for the reasons of limited budget and hence the maintenance cost budget reqd.
Both cars are spacious.
Old 17th August 2009, 10:54   #15
BHPian

@sunilb according to you lookin the condition of the ohc above,how much should i be payin for it.
how much would a 2002-03 accord cost?
i want to knw the price diff between both.
m askin tis so tht if there is nt much diff between them then i can think over my budget once again n modify it if need be.
thanx

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks