Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2009, 12:03   #1
TCX
BHPian

A worthy replacement that's fast as well as safe

Hello everybody,

You see for the last couple of weeks I have been in a state of total dilemma, for I have the option of changing my car and I simply can't find anything that can really replace my car.

For starters, I have a 2006 Swift. It's grown to a moderate 35000 kilometres and now I'm bored. I love it's enthusiasm. But I'm only human, and need change. Now, I found only 2 cars that fill my requirements. I have a budget of Rs500000, and found that I can either get a Mondeo or an Octavia Rider TPI. I've driven both cars and I simply love the Mondeo even if it doesn't match up to the Octy's performance. I don't really like cars with soft suspension. So now here's my problem, I've read way too many horror stories about the Mondeo, that I've grown very wary of it. I like the Octy, but everytime I see that I can get a Mondeo for that money I just can't get myself to buy the Octy. The reason I chose these 2 are because they have sufficient power, comfort, size, airbags & ABS.

I now have given myself 2 more options. The Lancer and OHC, but they aren't very safe at speed. But nice cars never the less. So I'll list all the options in one concise paragraph with what I think-

1- Mondeo Ghia 2.0 Duratec- One word, Incredible. This car is my favourite of the lot. And it's got all the features I need.
2- Octavia 1.8TPI- Happiness inducing performance, but lacks the handling. It's got most of everything I need.
3- Lancer 1.5 SLXi- Great looks, poor engine(can fix that, right?), and has no safety features or anything for that matter.
4- City 1.5 Exi- Decent looking, decent engine, mediocre handling, and again has no safety as like the Lancer.

With the last 2 options I'd realistically like to limit my spending to 1.2lakhs over the car's cost to make it quicker, as I'd get them cheaper than the other two anyway.

Now guys, I've had 2 weeks of sleepless nights because of this (yea, I get over stressed when it comes to cars). So if everyone could please give me some realistic advice, so I could make an informed decision, it would be incredible.

On the extreme, I could keep my Swift and spruce it up a bit. But that's the last option for now.

Please keep those opinions coming in.

P.S- Just to be more clear, I prefer cars with at least ABS, considering the way I drive. And Moderators; sorry, but I've forgotten how to add polls. Could you please oblige? Thanks.

Thanks a billion.
Old 20th August 2009, 14:02   #2
BHPian

For mods, you can go for Lancer or OHC anyday. With the budget of 1.2 lakhs for mods, you have an option of upgrading to better brakes also. Try to find OHC 1.5 (or VTEC). Fantastic vehicle. Both Lancer and OHC are decent looking and pocket friendly cars (compared to mondeo and rider).

OT: You have one more option , Hyundai ELANTRA. The top end model comes fully loaded.

Last edited by mnhegde : 20th August 2009 at 14:11.
Old 20th August 2009, 14:37   #3
BHPian

Personally, i'd say the Mondeo any day, unless your looking at getting the Octavia RS.

Spares for the mondeo are pretty expensive, and not every dealer stocks them, which means, in case of a problem you might have to wait for a minimum of 2 to 3 days for your spares to arrive.

Coming to the Octavia, it is a nice car, but the stories we hear about SKODA and it's dealers? Why don't you mod your swift? Get new rubber and alloys, a good FFE, probably an ecu remap?
Old 20th August 2009, 15:21   #4
Senior - BHPian

How much is your usage?
Old 20th August 2009, 15:35   #5
BHPian

Welcome! You are not alone...

I do own a '06 Swift Vxi done just 12K and everytime I see an RS, Mondeo or Cedia, I end up with the very same dilema until such time the reality of traffic/parking/running & owning costs brings me back to safe mode instructing me to spurse up my Swift instead.

From your list, the OHC VTec (not the 1.5) makes perfect sense, throw the Lancer out unless you can find the rare 1.8 Invex. However with a 5L budget, I will add the Fiesta/Baleno (to mod) or stock Corolla/Elantra CRDi. The Elantra comes with TC and is much more fun/cheap to drive and own.

To add to your confusion, if you can stretch your budget you can get a Cedia @ 6L, the RS @7 and the Accord 2.4 @ 8L.

Last edited by AirWind : 20th August 2009 at 15:51.
Old 20th August 2009, 15:37   #6
BHPian

Read the post - 35K in 3 yrs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
How much is your usage?
Old 20th August 2009, 15:57   #7
Senior - BHPian

Mitsubishi Cedia is your answer. Will be easier to maintain than your current options.
Old 20th August 2009, 15:57   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

You evidently love the Mondeo, shut your eyes and pick the next well-maintained example you find. It's a great used buy, considering the prices that they are trading hands at.

Take a look at this discussion, more specifically the posts by Mondeo owners (R.P.M. etc.)
Old 20th August 2009, 16:29   #9
Senior - BHPian

I think you are totally in love with the mondeo, if so, just go for it. But be warned that the car is discontinued and resale will be terrible when you plan to sell it. Also be prepared for long waiting periods for parts and expensive services.

I think you should take a look at this mondeo. Even with the registration costs in bangy, it will be in your budget.

Team-BHP Classifieds - Ford Mondeo COSWORTH - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds
Old 20th August 2009, 17:46   #10
BHPian

Have you heard of the elantra crdi??
Old 20th August 2009, 18:00   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuav View Post
Have you heard of the elantra crdi??
Yes, this could be the answer, though I don't think it's as fast as the Mondeo, but very good second hand ones are available, I was getting a 2004 top end with 20k on the odo for 3.5 Lakhs, only the Tax was going to be due in a month or two, still a VFM deal. Had I not had my Amby, would have definietly picked this one up.
Old 20th August 2009, 20:45   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCX View Post
Hello everybody,

You see for the last couple of weeks I have been in a state of total dilemma, for I have the option of changing my car and I simply can't find anything that can really replace my car.

For starters, I have a 2006 Swift. It's grown to a moderate 35000 kilometres and now I'm bored. I love it's enthusiasm. But I'm only human, and need change. Now, I found only 2 cars that fill my requirements. I have a budget of Rs500000, and found that I can either get a Mondeo or an Octavia Rider TPI.
you reminded me the time I started looking for a car for about 5-5.5lacs.. initially it was a new swift but here I am in a Mitsubishi Cedia.

Chk this up: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...i-cedia-3.html
Old 20th August 2009, 21:23   #13
Senior - BHPian

if your heart is set on a mondeo, you won't be satisfied with anything but it. Go for it

cheers
Old 20th August 2009, 21:47   #14
Senior - BHPian

Hi TCX,
Don't make a decision in haste. Do some research before you take a decision. Team-BHP itself has tons of information. Also, get in touch with a few owners and check with them on the maintenance costs. For a person owning a swift, these cars' maintenance bill would give you a rude shock unless you pick up a very well maintained car. Being a ford owner in bangalore, i can confidently say that sourcing mondeo spares would be extremely difficult and very expensive. If you still think you would want to go for one of these cars, honda would be a better choice. As JayD has pointed out, there is also a honda accord 2005 model on sale for 6 lakhs in the classifieds section.
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 20th August 2009, 23:05   #15
Senior - BHPian

The Mondeo is a great car and the car that came closest to it is the even rarer Opel Vectra. If it is the Mondeo you love, go for it (with your eyes open for the well marked pit-falls).

Cheers,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks