Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2009, 13:13   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akadian View Post
Hi Ashish,

Thanks mate. I'll take your suggestion and take a test drive of the Verna Crdi. I was myself a fan of the Hyundai stable once upon a time. Still like the Getz for the 1300 cc plus engine it has under the hood. But the handling issues are for real with the Verna as said by many people before me on this thread

Regards
Thanks for taking in good note Akadin, Hyundai do produce great diesel engines undoubtedly.

However, I certainly agree about bad handling of Verna but that is not so much bad that it can not hold up till 140-150. But I have driven Indica turbo that too very extensively over Delhi-Jaipur higway many times, it feels like it's getting out of control once 130-140 mark is reached. Still handling of verna is far better than Indica/Indigo without any doubt.

The case you are referring might be one where-in the driver might be driving at leisure.
Old 4th September 2009, 13:22   #62
BHPian

Hi Ashish,

Tata Motors has improved upon the handling issues with the CS. At least that is the experience I've had. My CS has done 160 kmph several times on the Udaipur-Chittor-Jaipur stretch as well as the Mathura-Delhi-Karnal stretch and not once have I felt that I'm losing control over the vehicle. Indica turbo is an older model that you are talking about and it is no more being produced. You should try either the Vista Tdi or Indigo CS Tdi and you will feel better for sure

Last edited by Akadian : 4th September 2009 at 13:22. Reason: Spelling
Old 4th September 2009, 13:40   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akadian View Post
Hi Ashish,

Tata Motors has improved upon the handling issues with the CS. At least that is the experience I've had.
Dear Akadian,

With the introduction of Indigo CS, Tata has officially not made any changes to chasis or anything. It's just adding of minimum boot to let it be into taxation limit so end user can be benefited. However as we are debating over engine performance between 70BHP Indigo CS and 110BHP Verna Crdi, Verna CRDI will be clear winner without any doubt. The only glitch that you might haven't encountered any enthusiastic Verna CRDI Driver.

On highway, I too drive fast and many time overcome many Accords and Camry with my Chevrolet Optra which doesn't mean from any corner that Chevrolet Optra has got better handling or better engine then that of those cars. It's only a matter of timing, gear shifting and Luck

Cheers
Old 4th September 2009, 13:52   #64
BHPian

Post Deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Street Racing posts are STRICTLY prohibited on this community. Please view our board rules carefully before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 4th September 2009 at 18:38.
Akadian is offline   Received Infraction
Old 10th September 2009, 10:22   #65
BHPian

why not New Skoda Octavia Price in India, Buy New Skoda Octavia , Best Car loan deals ?

I don't know but the specifications looks the same as vRS !! I am confused.
Old 10th September 2009, 12:27   #66
Senior - BHPian

Voila - The specs of the Skoda same as Vrs is the Petrol one. Not the Diesel one.

Skoda is no doubt a fantastic car except for the Sales & Service & Spare Parts Issue which gives the car a second thought before buying it.

Also it is not below 10 lacs OTR. It is above the 12 mark. The diesel one that is.

Last edited by vkochar : 10th September 2009 at 12:29. Reason: Adding more info.
Old 10th September 2009, 13:02   #67
BHPian

yeah. i am talking about 1.8 turbo petrol model but i have a big doubt about the interiors/exteriors/safety/comfort and not the engine as it is the same as vRS !
Old 10th September 2009, 14:47   #68
BHPian

The Skoda Octavia 1.9TDI is a 90 BHP car and not 100 BHP, which I am looking for. The Verna CRDi is 110 BHP and generates 240Nm of torque whereas the Skoda 1.9 only generates 210Nm of torque. Besides, as vkochar pointed out the Skoda is 12 lakh+ on road and therefore does not meet my budget under 10 lakhs.
Old 10th September 2009, 14:56   #69
BHPian

Verna Rules

Hi

If you want to have a diesel 100+bhp car, Nothing is more than Verna CRDI SX ABS. Go for it.. and you have all the happy smiles from people like me.

You dont have to wrry about the handling issues because you are not going faster than 100 kmph. as you said... and in Verna, your 4th gear is always will keep you on 100, or better look at the speedo often to reduce your speed !!!

If you want more luxury than in verna, go for SX4, but I'm not a fan of its too aggressive design.. You see Verna... I like the aero dynamics done on her body..

the choice is yours.. gud luck
Old 10th September 2009, 15:01   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOiLA View Post
...have a big doubt about the interiors/exteriors/safety/comfort
You missed A.S.S and Spares!! Or may be I took it wrong, you don't doubt it, you are sure its gonna suck?!!!
Old 10th September 2009, 15:24   #71
BHPian

Are you open to UV's, then I would recommend you try the Scorpio.
Old 10th September 2009, 15:29   #72
BHPian

You seem to have made up your mind on Verna, so it may be pointless to suggest alternatives, but pls do take a LONG test drive before your final decision. (I have driven Verna and am apprehensive about its handling at high speeds)

I would agree so much with GTO on Linea with Pete's box. Amit has already answered your doubts on the Pete's for Linea.
Old 10th September 2009, 15:38   #73
BHPian

on what speed specifically?

on high speeds, there will be no handling problems with Verna...

Can you specify on what speed you felt it not in balance? (Remember, this thread started with stating that he don't want to go after 100 kmph).

Some people says Verna will be walloing on taking corners at 120+ kmph..
God, who takes corners in that speed? Race drivers please forgive me.
A normal indian driver on the national Highways will maximum cross the 130 kmph on express highways on usual drives, in my opinion. All others are just kind of freaks and car-passionates who love to keep the accelerator always to the end.

Am I right?
Old 15th September 2009, 00:49   #74
Senior - BHPian

Verna starts understeering at 90 let alone 130. Its super scary to drive above 120 as the steering is wooden and has no feel at all. Along with all that understeer and a really potent engine, its a recipe for disaster. A visit to any hyundai A.S.S center will show you that the number of crashed vernas is not insignificant.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 15th September 2009 at 00:51.
Old 16th September 2009, 00:19   #75
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcoolgadgets View Post
Thanks for your suggestions. I do not drive at 50 kmph on open roads, I drive at 50 kmph on city roads. If I find an open road, I do open the throttle as as far as I can and have TD'ed the Verna at 140 kmph. Being a true BHPian, I love to have power under my hood, even if I may not use it everyday. And I want to have the best bang for my buck when I am putting down 10 lakhs of my hard earned money. I feel the Verna Diesel SX's combination of power, fuel efficiency and premium features like the CD/MP3 player, ABS, Alloy Wheels, etc. give me that bang for my buck which the Honda City does not. Besides, considering my daily running of over 70 kms, it makes more economic sense to go for a Diesel, rather than a petrol sedan.

I really liked the i20, but I am looking forward to upgrading to a sedan. The Jazz hasn't really made an impact, atleast here in Nagpur and I have not yet seen one on the road. Besides it is a petrol, and the sales chart does not inspire any confidence. The Linea too is very good, but again, as the title of my thread suggests, I am looking to upgrade to a 100 BHP+ sedan.

Akadian, even my Zen VXi, or for that matter my 20 year old Premier Padmini does 120+ with 5 people on board on an open highway. I have a strong feeling you will have to face the consequences of your statements .
If your preference is Fun to drive 100 BHP Diesel car, Optra Magnum is THE one. If it lacks features (low-end version) which you want & you want to look further than it, I feel its not 100 BHP alone which will give fun.

The fun is in the right power with the right kinda stability with superior Ride & Handling Quality, superior steering feel & feedback. i.e. dynamically superior cars. Which are these cars ? - European cars. In your case & budget, Fiesta 1.6S & Linea Diesel Emotion Pack (You can pete her if you want).

If your main use is city driving < 50 kmph & the fun is in zooming ahead than other cars, then I would say more than BHP's its your driving skills which come in play. e.g. in Mumbai, at traffic signals, rarely any car goes ahead than my Petrol Linea when I'm driving.

Verna Diesel has a stonker of an engine but I always felt its a dangerous proposition. That stonker engine couple with steering which is very light & low on feedback (being EPS), questionable Ride & Handling, abscence of an Airbag (which is a big miss) makes it actually a dangerous proposition.

Its all individual preferences. I would suggest don't get yourself satisfied with 1 TD for each car. If you shortlist 2-3 cars, take 2-3 TDs of each car - in city as well as on open stretch, corners etc in all power bands & speeds.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks