Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2009, 17:57   #46
BHPian

If you drive @ 50 KMPH on open roads and anyway not more than 70 why do you need a 100+BHP car.

If you are in stop go traffic most of the time why waste money on sedan.
Consider I20 D or even petrol, would give you the interior space you need at far lower prices and use that money on petrol.

If you want premium than that get the Jazz it has loads of goodies to show off like the double digit cup holders et al.

If you are keen on Sedan then get the city. Thats more of a trouble free car and has the premium image and can potter around like you want to without complaining and so can Linea but wont retain its resale as well as the H brand.

From the points you mentioned you dont need a powerful car, you need a city runabout with lots of space and has a fresh new look and i20, Honda Jazz and City have it. Linea would as well. you can save some money or get better value (to what aligns to your needs)than putting your money on Verna Diesel.
Old 3rd September 2009, 18:53   #47
BHPian

Dear friends,

I have a humble opinion to share about Verna Crdi. I've seen it on the road many times and have raced with many of them but not a single Verna could beat my Indigo CS. So, I don't understand what the 100+ horses are all about. Are they just for charging a premium from the gullible Indian customer? I've also never liked the looks of the Verna Crdi (that is a purely personal opinion, no offense meant to anybody). I feel the looks are not sporty at all and that brings it further down on my "power" rating (slow on the road as well as unsporty looking).

Please do not take it personally, all the Verna lovers and owners. It maybe that the power is actually there but nobody uses it on the highway because of the handling issues as mentioned by many people in this thread. On the other hand, the Indigo CS I use handles very well even beyond 150 kmph and I have taken it into that zone many times on the highway. This is especially true when the CS is full (all seats occupied and luggage at the back). Just a personal opinion, though

Regards
Old 3rd September 2009, 19:08   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinspike View Post
If you drive @ 50 KMPH on open roads and anyway not more than 70 why do you need a 100+BHP car.
Thanks for your suggestions. I do not drive at 50 kmph on open roads, I drive at 50 kmph on city roads. If I find an open road, I do open the throttle as as far as I can and have TD'ed the Verna at 140 kmph. Being a true BHPian, I love to have power under my hood, even if I may not use it everyday. And I want to have the best bang for my buck when I am putting down 10 lakhs of my hard earned money. I feel the Verna Diesel SX's combination of power, fuel efficiency and premium features like the CD/MP3 player, ABS, Alloy Wheels, etc. give me that bang for my buck which the Honda City does not. Besides, considering my daily running of over 70 kms, it makes more economic sense to go for a Diesel, rather than a petrol sedan.

I really liked the i20, but I am looking forward to upgrading to a sedan. The Jazz hasn't really made an impact, atleast here in Nagpur and I have not yet seen one on the road. Besides it is a petrol, and the sales chart does not inspire any confidence. The Linea too is very good, but again, as the title of my thread suggests, I am looking to upgrade to a 100 BHP+ sedan.

Akadian, even my Zen VXi, or for that matter my 20 year old Premier Padmini does 120+ with 5 people on board on an open highway. I have a strong feeling you will have to face the consequences of your statements .
Old 3rd September 2009, 19:27   #49
BHPian

Hey newcoolgadgets,

I know exactly how you feel right now. I was in the same boat once upon a time. Actually, not once but twice. When I bought my dad's Getz and my own Indigo CS, the people around me were all insisting "don't go for it" but I just had these cars on my mind and nobody could stop me. People said all sorts of things and in the case of CS my own dad was insisting I go for a Swift Vdi instead. But I had my way both the times for better or worse. I guess I can see you owning a Verna Crdi soon enough. Congrats in advance mate

Regards
Old 3rd September 2009, 19:30   #50
Senior - BHPian

If price is the only reason you are not buying the optra, bargain hard it will not be too difficult to get the top end LT for about 10.5 on road.
Old 3rd September 2009, 19:36   #51
BHPian

I know I can get an Optra LT for close to 10 lakhs, if I bargain hard, but I do not have space to park the huge monster (the downside of apartment living!). So Verna it is for me.
Old 3rd September 2009, 20:41   #52
Senior - BHPian

Indigo CS better than Verna CRDi
Tomorrow someone will say Sun rises in the West
Old 3rd September 2009, 21:01   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akadian View Post
Dear friends,

I have a humble opinion to share about Verna Crdi. I've seen it on the road many times and have raced with many of them but not a single Verna could beat my Indigo CS. So, I don't understand what the 100+ horses are all about. Are they just for charging a premium from the gullible Indian customer? I've also never liked the looks of the Verna Crdi (that is a purely personal opinion, no offense meant to anybody). I feel the looks are not sporty at all and that brings it further down on my "power" rating (slow on the road as well as unsporty looking).
ROTFL ! ( Rolling on the floor laughing ! )

Applause !!

I would love to see this happen.
Old 3rd September 2009, 22:04   #54
BHPian

Hi Milecruncher,

I never said Indigo CS is better than Verna Crdi. As newcoolgadgets has said so many times in this thread, Verna Crdi has loads of features like ABS, airbags, cd/mp3 player etc etc. These features can never be matched by a poor Indigo CS but CS runs like hell, mate and I can vouch for that. It might be that the shorter length compared to the Indigo is responsible for the higher speed as well as better handling because the same power for lesser weight improves the power:weight ratio. At the same time the intercooled turbo di is definitely a delightful performer. If you want we can have a race between my CS and vkochar's Verna Crdi. I'm game for that

Cheers
Old 3rd September 2009, 22:29   #55
BHPian

Quote:
I have a humble opinion to share about Verna Crdi. I've seen it on the road many times and have raced with many of them but not a single Verna could beat my Indigo CS.
roflmao!

Akadian, now don't say your Indigo CS is 2.2VTT.

Quote:
It might be that the shorter length compared to the Indigo is responsible for the higher speed
Oh, is it?

Quote:
If you want we can have a race between my CS and vkochar's Verna Crdi.
Be careful Varun. lol.

Last edited by live2drive : 3rd September 2009 at 22:32.
Old 3rd September 2009, 22:45   #56
BHPian

Hey live2drive,

It is a 1.4L turbo-intercooler and definitely not the 2.2L VTT, which goes on the Safari. All the same, the maximum a Verna Crdi has done in front of me on the Udaipur-Jaipur route was 140 kmph. When I crossed that speed, it did not catch up with me again till Jaipur. It could be that he was in his own comfort zone and did not try

Cheers
Old 4th September 2009, 10:00   #57
BHPian

Akadian,

The Indigo CS engine develops 70PS power and a torque of 140Nm. The Verna SX engine develops 110PS power and has a torque of 240Nm. The Indigo CS weighs 1510 kgs while the Verna weighs 1550 kgs. If you care to see the power to weight ratios, there is no way the Indigo can be faster than a Verna. The only reason that you were able to beat the Verna so far is that the Verna driver was not enthusiastic enough to race with you. Forget racing with a Verna driver; even if you yourself drive the Verna, you will beat your own Indigo CS figures by a mile and a half.

btw, don't say I did not warn you about this!
Old 4th September 2009, 10:08   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I never said Indigo CS is better than Verna Crdi. As newcoolgadgets has said so many times in this thread, Verna Crdi has loads of features like ABS, airbags, cd/mp3 player etc etc. These features can never be matched by a poor Indigo CS but CS runs like hell, mate and I can vouch for that. It might be that the shorter length compared to the Indigo is responsible for the higher speed as well as better handling because the same power for lesser weight improves the power:weight ratio. At the same time the intercooled turbo di is definitely a delightful performer. If you want we can have a race between my CS and vkochar's Verna Crdi. I'm game for that
Correction - Verna does not have Airbags.

And No thank You, I do not want to race an Indigo

I am sure you will find someone sooner or later in a Verna Diesel to race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2drive View Post
Be careful Varun. lol.
Thanks Mate !!
Old 4th September 2009, 10:28   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Milecruncher,

Cheers
Quote:
Hey live2drive,

It is a 1.4L turbo-intercooler and definitely not the 2.2L VTT, which goes on the Safari. All the same, the maximum a Verna Crdi has done in front of me on the Udaipur-Jaipur route was 140 kmph. When I crossed that speed, it did not catch up with me again till Jaipur. It could be that he was in his own comfort zone and did not try

Cheers
Can you move out and take a test drive of Verna CRDI ?? It might clear out some mental blocks.
Old 4th September 2009, 12:57   #60
BHPian

Hi Ashish,

Thanks mate. I'll take your suggestion and take a test drive of the Verna Crdi. I was myself a fan of the Hyundai stable once upon a time. Still like the Getz for the 1300 cc plus engine it has under the hood. But the handling issues are for real with the Verna as said by many people before me on this thread

Regards

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks