Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2009, 09:17   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
Actually, its downgrading from 1.6 L M16A to 1.5 iVTec! Value proposition of the product is subjective and the perspsective differs from people to people. What I want is a good city and highway car in auto tranny and ANHC AT with paddle shift at 10 L OTR sounds VFM, considering the superb reliability and refinement (and of course snob value) that comes with it.
Yes, you're getting less displacement, but you're getting VTEC, 16BHP more and better fuel efficiency.

Quote:
With regards to Civic, initially, I was keen on the SMT variant at 12.5 OTR, which I am ready to spent. But what I want is an automatic and that will surpass 14.3 Lac OTR and that is where, the 10 lac OTR on City AT seems so VFM (at least on me!). And from what I heard, the City AT is more advanced than that of the Civic AT!
The City A/T is one generation newer. The only discernible difference is the paddle shifts being active even in D mode, allowing you do downshift at a touch without being in S. Very convenient, but redundant once you know how to modulate the throttle to get what you want from the transmission.

Quote:
It is just speculation. God knows when and if it will arrive here at all!
A lot of wishful thinking by some people actually.
Old 2nd October 2009, 10:30   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lastly, on resale of my SX4, a Honda dealer informed me that they can buy back my car on a fair price and exchange it with the city. Any idea how fair the price that I can expect? Car has done around 19000 KMs only in 2.5 years. Zxi without the leather variant. Single owner, almost in showroom condition. MGA body kit!
I would have picked it up if its in Chennai ... If you are okay with it, get a quote from Honda/middleman & put that up for sale here... some bhp'ian might pick up
Old 2nd October 2009, 10:43   #18
Senior - BHPian

You will loose a lot of money selling a car at 2.5 years. Anyways, its your pocket, and your decision.
A logical upgrade from an SX4 seems to be Civic/Laura or better still, wait for the Chevrolet Cruze - which has been getting a lot of rave reviews!
Old 2nd October 2009, 12:06   #19
BHPian

50,000 kms in Civic-AT

Having driven 50,000 kms (all by myself) in 2.5 years in a Civic-AT, here are my answers: (Answers in bold).

Quote:

My doubts on the AT variant:
- Driving pleasure from an enthusiast point of view - Would the paddle shift provide the same level of excitement and driving pleasure as that of the 5-speed manual?

Though I bought an AT only for the paddle-shifts, I never felt the need for using them in almost all circumstances: Once you learn to modulate the throttle, you can make the transmission go to any gear you want with your right foot. Having previously owned a OHC 1.5 for eight years and driven 1.26,000 kms I now never miss a manual. In fact I will never go back to a manual in my life again .

- Driving habits with clutch - I have not driven an automatic before. So, I am bit naive in the very thought of driving an automatic everyday, with my left foot trying to press a pedal that does not exists! How long do you think one can get accustom to an automatic?

A few hours maybe!

- Wear and tear - Does the automatic, especially the paddle shifts, trouble free? In long term, if something breaks down, how much expensive would it be to repair/overhaul?

Till 50K no problems so far!

- On highways, long drive and on hills, what are the drawbacks of the automatic over the manual?

I have used the AT for very long drives, and multiple times on Mettupalayam-Ooty ghat roads, and I find AT to be more stress free.

- How much mileage difference between the auto and the manual?

If you see my previous posts, I regularly brag about my mileage.
My overall mileage over 50K kms is 11.4 kmpl, My best was 16.5 kmpl. My worst was 7.5 kmpl.
Old 2nd October 2009, 13:23   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My doubts on the AT variant:
- Driving pleasure from an enthusiast point of view - Would the paddle shift provide the same level of excitement and driving pleasure as that of the 5-speed manual?
Put it in sport and you'll get all the high rev fun you want.

Quote:
- Driving habits with clutch - I have not driven an automatic before. So, I am bit naive in the very thought of driving an automatic everyday, with my left foot trying to press a pedal that does not exists! How long do you think one can get accustom to an automatic?
Force your left foot to remain on the dead pedal and resist all involuntary foot movements onto the brake pedal. You'll be fine in five minutes.

Quote:
- Wear and tear - Does the automatic, especially the paddle shifts, trouble free? In long term, if something breaks down, how much expensive would it be to repair/overhaul?
My car is about to hit 12K, so I can't tell you how it behaves long term. The paddle shifters themselves are just buttons connected to the ECU. They will hold up for years and years of usage. The transmission itself, well, so long as you don't make the same mistakes that would destroy a manual (put it into reverse while the car is still moving forward, for example), it is typically Japanese reliable.

Quote:
- On highways, long drive and on hills, what are the drawbacks of the automatic over the manual?
None, as far as I have experienced. I did two hill climbs (Kodai and Yercaud). I just put into sport and let rip.

Quote:
- How much mileage difference between the auto and the manual?
Expect 1KMPL less than the manual.

Quote:
- Any other changes or new additions (apart from the auto transmission) that are exclusive only to the AT variant?
Not as far as I know.
Old 3rd October 2009, 19:25   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You stand to lose a lot of money, selling your car within only 2.5 years of use. Balance it out . The SX4 has good resale and there's plenty of pre-owned Honda Civics to be had for 7 - 8 lakhs. I wouldn't recommend a brand new car to you at all. Cars lose a ton of value in the first 2 - 3 years of ownership. Would work out too expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freewheelburnin View Post
+1 to GTO.Same suggestion,go for used Civic.You get really low mileage ones at cheap prices.Would make a wonderful deal provided the used car loan component is small.Cedia is fun to drive, but civic is class apart in everything else.
Thanks guys for the suggestion. That is not a bad idea!

1) How much would a 2 yrs old, used Civic Manual with approx. 25K-35K kms mileage done cost?

2) What particular bits/components should I look into carefully, when evaluating/TD such used Civics?

3) What parts do I need to invest/change if I get a used Civic? Clutch pads, tyres, suspension etc?

4) Lastly, is it advisable to get used Civic from Honda dealers itself? Any particular place/dealers in NCR that I should be particular looking at?

Just on the side note, I went on to a Honda dealer (Ace Honda, Noida) here to check out the new City AT, to see if that would be something I would love to own. Having own SX4 for more than 2 years, these are what I observed on the new City:

1) The plastic on the upper edge of the door are too filmsy. If I pressed it from inside, the whole area budged in towards the glass. It felt like rubbery. Not sure that is good! But this does not happen in my car.

2) Even with the complete beige treatment, I find the interior a bit cramped compared to SX4. Hate that beige and the silver treatment! I was willing to discard the absence of ACC/CD player, assuming that those are not much have features. BUTT seeing the silver rotary AC knob, and those two black ones, gives me a new found respect and love for my car with ACC, crome and backlight circular knobs. In my rule book, the interior on the new city is a complete disaster!

3) The driver/front seats seems much smaller compared to those in SX4.

4) The steering column can be adjusted only by an inch and half! In SX4, it can adjusted by a good 5-6 inches!

4) Its actually small compared to my car. From the front, it looks like a Civic Si though. Looks goods! Road presence is no where near an SX4.

I have chucked out the idea of upgrading to an ANHC. Either it would be a new Civic SMT or a used (1.6-2 yrs old) one in excellent condition.

BTW, the most funniest joke I ever had from this honda dealer was the offer of 3.8 lacs on my SX4 . What more funny was that the consultant I talked to on the phone a few days ago, enticed me with a good valuation and to bring the car to the showroom.

Last edited by iTNerd : 3rd October 2009 at 19:41.
Old 3rd October 2009, 19:53   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
Compare with what you would have spent on SX4 could give you and idea Cedia is not as bad as you thought.
Of course, big let down is 're-sale value'. Well, if you want to sell the car within 3 years, don't go for Cedia. If you want to drive for 5 years, hazzle-free, still Cedia is The car..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chat View Post
Civic is an inferior car to drive compared to Cedia. How many days would you appreciate that jazzy dashboard? Cedia is more practical car with great ground clearence, short turning radius, better mileage, handling, ride every aspect.
I would love to own a Cedia if I was looking for a drivers' car 3 years back.

But the followings put me off now:

1) One generation old. The new lancer is already available worldwide.
2) Looks comparatively smaller. In fact, it seems to be a C segment car, rather than a notch above. Leave Civic, my SX4 with sport kits easily dwarf it!
3) Not much road presence compared to a Civic.
4) Civic is light years ahead of looks. I can't comment on the driving dynamics of both the car. But they are equivalent good handlers.
5) Resale
6) A.S.S

With all the above points, a sensible buy is the Civic from all perspectives! Above all, I plan to own a Civic less than 3 years and hence, a Cedia is out of my radar.

Last edited by iTNerd : 3rd October 2009 at 20:01.
Old 3rd October 2009, 20:16   #23
Senior - BHPian

@ ImmortalZ, Manim - Thank you very much with the enlightment on the paddle shifts and automatic transmission. Would love to own one, but on a new Civic AT, it's marching towards Accord territory and over the budget.

Two options that I have left with:
- get a new Civic SMT (12.5 lacs OTR Delhi)
- get a year or two old Civic MT or AT in good condition

Last edited by iTNerd : 3rd October 2009 at 20:32.
Old 3rd October 2009, 20:39   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Two options that I have left with:
- get a new Civic SMT (12.5 lacs OTR Delhi)
- get a year or two old Civic MT or AT in good condition
Used civic (both AT and MT) are easily available in delhi, look around and you can get a civic in mint condition. A used civic would be the best option for you.
Old 4th October 2009, 17:35   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
Used civic (both AT and MT) are easily available in delhi, look around and you can get a civic in mint condition. A used civic would be the best option for you.
Thank you Gaurav. I did start looking these few days and I stumbled upon this silver 2007 AT (S variant), with mileage done close to 20K on the odo, from a Honda dealer in South Delhi. Asking price is 9 lacs. The dealer had put up leather seats, fog lights. The car appears to be a in a good condition, except for a few scratches and loose bumpers. How much should be the price ideally? I think, I can negotiate down to 8.6 or 8.7. But I am unsure if that is best deal!

Also, I read somewhere in the Honda Website, that when purchasing a pre-owned car from Honda Terrace, you get 1 year warranty. But the dealer denies any knowledge of that. How true is it?

Last edited by iTNerd : 4th October 2009 at 17:37.
Old 4th October 2009, 20:47   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Gaurav. I did start looking these few days and I stumbled upon this silver 2007 AT (S variant), with mileage done close to 20K on the odo, from a Honda dealer in South Delhi. Asking price is 9 lacs. The dealer had put up leather seats, fog lights. The car appears to be a in a good condition, except for a few scratches and loose bumpers. How much should be the price ideally? I think, I can negotiate down to 8.6 or 8.7. But I am unsure if that is best deal!

Also, I read somewhere in the Honda Website, that when purchasing a pre-owned car from Honda Terrace, you get 1 year warranty. But the dealer denies any knowledge of that. How true is it?
Any time sir!

Please dont be stumbled, you will find plenty civics out there, please check a few cars before you decide on one!

Honda Terrace.. their cars the insanely priced..try to look around at dealers. Also check the classified section of Hindustan times on Friday and Sunday to see used car advertisements. A few civics were up for sale when I checked this friday, its always better to buy directly from the seller rather than from dealer.

Also try if you can get a car from south delhi, may be someone who has a couple of cars rather than some one who dedicatedly used the car for last 2-3 years. Also a 2007 civic S AT with leather seats and fog lights and in excellent condition should be around 8- 8.25lacs max.

When I was searching for a used car a couple of months back I had both good and bad experiences with dealers. First things first, 90% dealer will show you not so good cars first, bear in mind you atleast check a few cars with different dealers before deciding. Once you say no to a car, they will look try to show you better cars. Some good dealers according to me, Vinayak motors, lajpath nagar, Satish motors, ashok vihar and Kiran Motors, karol bagh. They have good cars and prices are reasonable. Best cars according to me were with satish motors and prices were excellent.

Dont forget to get the car thoroughly checked, either from some know good mechanic, or from the Honda service station itself (avoid going to the one where the car is regularly serviced) pay if you have! Ask for service history and insurance copy. Call the insurance company to check if the car has any claim or not. Service history will give you the idea if the odo reading is genuine or not.

Rest if you will take a loan for the car, police verification will be done by the bank itself.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 4th October 2009 at 21:00.
Old 6th October 2009, 11:31   #27
Senior - BHPian

SX4- Have seen in one of the news paper today, there is an ad on SX4
= ''upgrade to SX 4 - Benefits up to Rs.80,000 - Limited period offer''
Price Starts at just Rs.5.79 Lacs onwards* =

Rs. 80,000, even if it is for exchange offer, is big discount - what does this mean?
Are maruti is going to upgrade present SX4 model, hence want to sell as many cars as early possible hence offering such hefty discounts. Or not much sales on these days and inorder to boost sales of this model such discounts are being offered.?

Some time back maruti started giving similar high discounts/offers on Zen Estillo (remember close to Rs.45,000), and now they have upgraded the model. While I was discussing about Fiesta with the ford dealer, I have checked with them about exchanging my Zen Estilo but they said this model is the least preferred (and lowest sold maruti vehicle) hence resale value is not there. moreover maruti has introduced new version of the model hence no takers for the old model etc etc) and after checking with some used car dealers the guy quoted me a very low price for just 2 year old zen estilo vxi. Accordingly by seeing the ad on SX4, is that same fate of zen
estilo is going to happen for sx4 also - is there any different news anyone have?
Thanks
Old 6th October 2009, 15:36   #28
Senior - BHPian

iTNerd:really love the way you maintained your car and sad to be apart form it.

Look-in for used Civic-AT at carwale & other INTERNET portals as well.
But pls be patience & never get sold for the external appearence,watch-out under the hood.
Happy hunting.
Old 6th October 2009, 16:13   #29
Untouchables09

iTnerd

from your posts it seems to me that you should go for Civic AT (Used or new) but not MT. 2-3 year old Civics can be found easily at lucrative price points.

Explore more options to get hold of an AT as your posts are quite evident that AT will comfort you more

Old 6th October 2009, 17:04   #30
Senior - BHPian

As of now, I have looked at 2 used Civics (one AT and a MT), but heart is not just set yet!

A new twist though! My heart is also warming up to the looks of Corolla Altis (may be I am getting old, to be 30 soon LOL), and with much persistence from some friends, I had booked a test drive tomorrow on the manual variant. The sales man was very helpful on the phone and gave me all the info required on my email ID without actually trying to sell an Altis on me, unlike the ones from Honda.

Courtesy Honda is luring me with an old Civic V MT variant with insurance free (worth 37K). But they only have in Silver. Does the old V MT come with leather upholstery?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks