Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2009, 00:26   #1
BHPian

Used sedan in 2-3 lac

Hi,

I am looking to buy a used petrol sedan in less than 3 lac budget. This would be my second car used mostly for highway runs around 500 km per month average. I have shortlisted Esteem, Baleno, Ikon and accent. I had a look at OHC also but only 2000 models were available at this price range and I am not really sure if I should go for that old a model. No idea about Lancer so not included in my shortlist. My requirements are:

Decent power and performance. (blame team bhp for this, earlier I never felt the lack of power in alto!)
Spacious and comfortable.
Fuel efficient (around 15 on highway if possible)
Spare price cost and availability(should not be a 'white elephant')
Want to keep for atleast 5 years.

I would appreciate if the owners of above mentioned cars can share details like FE and maintenance cost.

Last edited by rock75 : 5th December 2009 at 00:27. Reason: correction
Old 5th December 2009, 08:32   #2
Senior - BHPian

since you want to keep the car for 5 years i would recommend an Accent.
it is still in production and you can get a 2005 model in that price range.

OHC and Baleno are nice options but both of them are out of production and spares might be a problem couple of years down the line.

I drive an Accent and get an overall mileage of around 13.5kmpl
and maintainence is easy on pocket too

Last edited by akshay4587 : 5th December 2009 at 08:33.
Old 5th December 2009, 23:25   #3
BHPian

I am having two offers currently, Esteem LXi 2005 around Rs 2.6 lac(45k kms) with lot of accessories and Fiat petra 1.6 2004 (35k kms)around Rs 2 lac both in good condition. Please help in deciding which one as per the criteria mentioned by me earlier.Does it make sense to buy a petra with 50k savings considering service backup?
Old 5th December 2009, 23:31   #4
Senior - BHPian

I would advise to stay away from Petra,get the esteem instead.
Old 5th December 2009, 23:40   #5
BHPian

I would bet for a Baleno or OHC if you get one in decent condition.

For Baleno parts not an issue, it might get little longer but you will get it. I got some rare moving parts, though it takes a month to get those.

Do not go for Petra at all.
Old 5th December 2009, 23:42   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Accent suits all your requirements, You can also find Ikon for the same price but maintaining it is not an easy task.
Old 6th December 2009, 02:27   #7
BHPian

For a good baleno I have to go to Delhi, though the rate will be closer to esteem (which I am finding locally). Between the two I am sure esteem is easier to maintain and fuel efficient. I want good performance as this is the reason for upgrading from Alto but I am no racing type driver and normally cruise at 80-90 only on highway and only speed above 100 once in a while when not with family. Moreover I plan to go to Himachal hills quite often so in the event of a breakdown esteem would be easier to mend, I guess. Would a baleno offer any significant advantage over esteem in my case? Are spares of Baleno and esteem similarly priced and available?

@.anshuman

I toyed with the idea of buying an ikon too, saw a good one and loved the drive but the oft repeated costly maintenance put me off it. With Accent too many people claim it doesn't give average above 10-11 so not sure really.

Last edited by rock75 : 6th December 2009 at 02:28. Reason: correction
Old 6th December 2009, 03:47   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

I drove an Accent for 150,000kms, on highways driving with a light foot 15kpl can be acheived. Spares are reasonably priced.
Old 7th December 2009, 15:10   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock75 View Post
For a good baleno I have to go to Delhi, though the rate will be closer to esteem (which I am finding locally). Between the two I am sure esteem is easier to maintain and fuel efficient. I want good performance as this is the reason for upgrading from Alto but I am no racing type driver and normally cruise at 80-90 only on highway and only speed above 100 once in a while when not with family. Moreover I plan to go to Himachal hills quite often so in the event of a breakdown esteem would be easier to mend, I guess. Would a baleno offer any significant advantage over esteem in my case? Are spares of Baleno and esteem similarly priced and available?

@.anshuman

I toyed with the idea of buying an ikon too, saw a good one and loved the drive but the oft repeated costly maintenance put me off it. With Accent too many people claim it doesn't give average above 10-11 so not sure really.
Then go for a Esteem. Baleno will be costly to maintain and if torque does not matter much esteem will meet your requirement.
Old 7th December 2009, 15:34   #10
Senior - BHPian

Like many, I too would suggest an Accent. Good build, easy on maintenance, 1.5 Ltr engine, spacy, comfortable. So get a 2002-03 one, load it with goodies, and rippppppp!!!
Old 7th December 2009, 16:00   #11
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

accent definitely will be available in this budget
also check for baleno and a slightly elderly lancer as well
old Honda City (the recently phased out one) will be available at about 3.5-4-4.5 lacs
Old 7th December 2009, 16:03   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Another positive in Accent's favor is its still in production largely unchanged from year 2000, so availability of spares wont be problem for at least for another decade.
Old 7th December 2009, 18:41   #13
kdp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock75 View Post
Hi,

I am looking to buy a used petrol sedan in less than 3 lac budget. This would be my second car used mostly for highway runs around 500 km per month average. I have shortlisted Esteem, Baleno, Ikon and accent. I had a look at OHC also but only 2000 models were available at this price range and I am not really sure if I should go for that old a model. No idea about Lancer so not included in my shortlist. My requirements are:

Decent power and performance. (blame team bhp for this, earlier I never felt the lack of power in alto!)
Spacious and comfortable.
Fuel efficient (around 15 on highway if possible)
Spare price cost and availability(should not be a 'white elephant')
Want to keep for atleast 5 years.

I would appreciate if the owners of above mentioned cars can share details like FE and maintenance cost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
I would advise to stay away from Petra,get the esteem instead.

As a Former Siena 1.6 (petra) owner; I have a slightly differing perspective especially given that you will be doing mostly highway runs in this car and it is your second car..

Buy a "good condition" siena / petra; it'll tick most of your requirement boxes.. (expect maybe fuel efficiency - but even I got never less than 13 on the highway with a lead foot); as far as parts are concerned, upto the "c" pillar it's the same as a gen 1 palio; parts are cheap (As opposed to the palio stile) and not such a challenge anymore (i also own an ikon; and my wife an esteem so you know what I am comparing with)

in the price segment that you are looking at; Nothing beats the stability and reassurance of a Petra/ siena; i'd go out on a limb and say this is the safest car non airbag equipped car you can buy in india .. and you'll never lack power and performance; ride comfort is outstanding and there is a very vibrant indian user community on yahoogroups

I always used my siena for the highway trips; the rare occasions that I used my ikon 1.6 it just didn't measure up, performance or reassurance wise; and I would never use the esteem on the highway

I only sold that car because i went several segments higher for airbags + ABS.

just my 2 bits.. feel free to get in touch wrt my "fiat" experience

kdp
Old 7th December 2009, 19:35   #14
BHPian

Accent - good build quality, available in show rooms even today, good to drive and good mileage as well.

Esteem - Will be a good car as well, since the production has stopped the table will tilt towards accent.

You may get some lancers as well in that price range; they are reliable and provides lot of mod options in the future. Mileage might be some issues, but if you get a good diesel it will compensate that. I know Lancer diesels that has run for 180k without before the first overhaul.

If you plan to change your car in 2 years, you can play around with plenty of options like Ikon, Baleno etc.
Old 7th December 2009, 23:51   #15
BHPian

I am confused myself. My heart says baleno or Petra, I even loved the looks and test drive I had for Ikon but the mind says Esteem or accent. I am getting a late 2004 petra 1.6 with genuine 34 k kms for less than Rs 2 lac but there is always an element of doubt about old fiat models. Esteem is an excellent condition sep 2005 model with 45k kms with lot of accessories like new battery,alloys, tyres and shockers, leather seat covers, pioneer music system with four speakers setup,gearlock,film etc at around Rs 2.5 lac and same state as mine so no road tax.

I know that accent has better build and looks than esteem but only 2002-2003 models are available at around 2.25-2.5 lacs, which makes me go against it. Another factor is FE, I keep on hearing that Esteem can give as high as 17-18kmpl on highways whereas Accent gives only around 13.(Currently I am getting regularly getting 18-19 on alto on a 30:70 mix for city and highway, even in city driving I am usually on 4th or 5th courtesy good roads and traffic!). Considering that I don't have any problems even at present with low sitting , ride quality and handling of alto would Esteem not fare better than alto in these paramenters(the usual negetives associated with it)? As everyone knows Esteem is a great performer too.

I have dropped ikon due to spares cost issue and also a perception that ikon parts start failing after 50k inviting heavy repair bills. 12 years with maruti have spoilt me (first with M800 and last 5 with alto) where I never had to replace anything except normal service! Baleno is still on the radar but not finding a good model around 50k kms driven in and around chandigarh. I have found out as many as 18 balenos in around NCR at truevalue/automart but do not like the idea of going to Delhi and buying one.(This will be a last resort)

Last edited by rock75 : 7th December 2009 at 23:52.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks