Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2010, 12:37   #1
BHPian

Octavia vRS -only 2500 Km

HI Guys,

I have an opportunity to lay my hands on a 2006 skoda Octavia vRS which has run ony 2500 Km as it is owned by an NRI. Since the car has spent most of its time in garage in Mumbai, what are the things one should look for before buying such a car?
What kinds of problems can a car with very low milage pose over the period of time ?
Old 3rd April 2010, 14:57   #2
BHPian

For one, it could be generally a lot on the rusty side. Everything could be tight..read the accelerator..brakes..clutch...Gearbox...Plus the engine has not run in properly!!! I would say tread with caution!!
Old 3rd April 2010, 15:34   #3
BHPian

i would say its a real chance.rust on the body can be seen & negotiated.there can be nothing wrong with the engine as it is having oil all around,all you would require is draining of oil & flushing the engine .add new oil & i think it should be alright.all the ware & tare parts can be changed or be cleaned & refixed.also it is very important to know where the car is parked,in the open or a closed shed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by subodh View Post

I have an opportunity to lay my hands on a 2006 skoda Octavia vRS which has run ony 2500 Km as it is owned by an NRI. Since the car has spent most of its time in garage in Mumbai, what are the things one should look for before buying such a car?
What kinds of problems can a car with very low milage pose over the period of time ?
Old 3rd April 2010, 16:06   #4
BHPian

Skoda vRS is a very good car. Being a german, I don't think you will find it's body rusting or the paint peeling within 3-4 years. But as they say, a car that has been run for 4 years is better than one that sits in a shed because cars are meant to be run (and vRS are meant to be ripped)

Take it to Skoda JMD showroom which is on LBS Road, Bhandup. They will tell you if it has any problems. Also check if it has "really" run just 250 kms. I think you know what I mean by that !
Old 3rd April 2010, 17:20   #5
BHPian

Rusting was one of the problems which even I am worried about especially since the car is in Mumbai. It has been stored under cover parking. My main worry is that about the insides of the car rusting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post

Take it to Skoda JMD showroom which is on LBS Road, Bhandup. They will tell you if it has any problems. Also check if it has "really" run just 250 kms. I think you know what I mean by that !
The car was referred to me by one of my close friends who works for JMD Prateek... she said its a good car very low milage on the clock and maintained
Old 3rd April 2010, 17:20   #6
Senior - BHPian

There is no question of rust on a Skoda if it was garaged and is not an accidental car. There is a gaurantee on the cars nowadays on corrosion as well. I see no problem what so ever, except a precautionary change of lubes.

Cheers
Old 3rd April 2010, 17:53   #7
BHPian

Dude, get it checked at the authorized service station, as suggested, flush all oils and put it new ones. and drive.. its a vRS man!
I don't think a 2006 model would have issues of rust so soon.
but surely be careful.
Old 4th April 2010, 12:28   #8
Senior - BHPian

@Subodh,
If you are not picking up the car, then do pm the details to me as I am interested in getting an OctaviaRS.
Old 4th April 2010, 13:09   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Skoda vRS is a very good car. Being a german, I don't think you will find it's body rusting or the paint peeling within 3-4 years.
Skoda is Czech and not German. However it is owned by VW which is German.
BTW how much is the owner quoting?
Old 4th April 2010, 14:18   #10
Senior - BHPian

All i know is if the car is good then dont really waste anytime cause something like this can either go off the shelf in a flash or can just sit there. But ill bet on it already being sold. Such virgin material will never stay.
Old 4th April 2010, 14:30   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
Skoda is Czech and not German. However it is owned by VW which is German.
BTW how much is the owner quoting?
True, but there's very little that's Czech about it
Basically it's a German car!
Old 4th April 2010, 20:57   #12
BHPian

Small clarification guys. I actually didn`t mean "Rustty" in the literal sense.. I was referring to the lack of usage which may have created issues with the parts.. Parts could get choked or clogged if they are not used regularly..So thats what i was intending to convey. It`s analogus to a batsman coming to bat after a year..
Old 5th April 2010, 11:43   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
@Subodh,
If you are not picking up the car, then do pm the details to me as I am interested in getting an OctaviaRS.
Definately would let u know buddy if I am not going ahead with it.

I still have to get a cost estimate on the car as friday was the first day he had mentioned selling of his car. Guess I was lucky enough to get to know about it on the first day. The people from JMD would be determining its value today, post which the ball would start rolling. Personally I am hoping to close it asap and get the car in my hand post which I can make a list and collect money for the Mods.
Does anyone know any good Mods guys in Pune who would be able to do the Stage 1 Mods?
Old 5th April 2010, 13:10   #14
Senior - BHPian

Rust I dont think should be an issue at all, unless the garage is damp or something or has some water seepage.

The only issues you can face is some errosion in the fuel tank chamber (this area can start rusting), tires may have developed flat spots, unless it was jacked on bricks or something, greasing / lubrication, AC may blow stale air, brakes

As someone said, the problems could be nothing or could be huge, as cars are meant to be driven and not sit idle. And that too for a period of 3-4 years, you could be staring at a lot of expenses.

Get it thoroughly checked by the Service team at Skoda. THOROUGHLY
Old 5th April 2010, 13:45   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by punitkakri View Post
For one, it could be generally a lot on the rusty side. Everything could be tight..read the accelerator..brakes..clutch...Gearbox...Plus the engine has not run in properly!!! I would say tread with caution!!
Tight; saw a car which had tight gearbox and brakes as mentioned. it was less run, town car, what problems could be there ? how to rectify ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks