Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2005, 15:19   #1
Team-BHP Support

Hunt for a midsize diesel

From the past few days i have been hunting for a midsize diesel, visiting dealers and getting a feel. I was planning to make the purchase next year march or so, but recent bang of the indica has preponed my plans for the new car by a few months. so now the target is november.

Though indigo was the obvious choice, few others also came in foray.
first was the Petra. Delhi Fiat service stations are supposed to be better than the small town ones, and thus i decided to check out a Petra diesel too.
Build quality feels more solid than indigo definately, but the car feels more underpowered than even thge E-II indigo. Moreover at high altitudes NA IDI diesels starts stuttering, so it was ruled out.
Second candidate which i check out yesterday was the Accent Crdi. The Viva version that is. None of the showrooms had a Crdi with them. not even a petrol version. So i decided to check out the seating and all of an accent GLE. Big dissapointment. though the quality and finish is top notch, i did not fit in the back seat. My knees were crumpled and my head was touching the roof. My wife also found the back seat very uncomfortable as compared to Santro, indica and Getz.
The front seat also had a weird sitting position with no underthigh support. I will check out the Viva also but if the seating and all is similar, it goes out of the equation.

Now that leaves me with the indigo. But ford's fiesta is coming. If that is priced below 7L ex showroom for the diesel, it becomes a serious candidate too. any idea about the prices and all? If there is any midsize diesel slated to come before Feb 2006, i can wait and choose, but any later than that it will be the indigo.

Also people who have bought Tata cars recently, any idea about the current finance rates? does Tata Finance have any special schemes where you can trade in your indica for a good price? Or is it better to sell it in the "Car Bazaar" market.

I have been hearing of 10000 cash discount on the LX version. Anybody got better deal here? I have heard rumours of Dealers leaving 25K + 4% finace payout.

Coming to finace deals which bank do you recommend? HDFC gives 7.5% interest rate. any other bank goes lower? Also is it possible to get loan for on road price instead of the ex-showroom price. I plan to go for full finance.
Old 10th October 2005, 15:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

I think that the Indigo still provides the best bang for the buck at least as far as diesels go. You are right about the Fiat. The four-pot diesel does good service on the Palio. I am skeptical on its performance in a Petra. Regarding the Hyundai, I cannot comment, but I do remember that you are pretty tall. Still if you did not find any problem with the Petra, I am surprised that you did find any problem with the Hyundai. IMHO, after the Indigo, the Accent CRDI is the best diesel sedan running around India.

If you are waiting till next year Feb, however, you may have more choice. Suzuki and maybe even Fiat might be out with their JTDs. Ford Diesels? I dunno. Anyone has anything strong for/against Ford's oil burners?
Old 10th October 2005, 15:45   #3
Team-BHP Support

The JTDs may be out for only Swift, and since we want a sedan, that rules out the marutis. Esteem may also get JTD, but due to interior space and seating its not a choice. As for the Accent, the rear leg and head room was much less than that of Palio as well as the indica. In both indica and palio I can sit in back seat, but accent, no ways. Also i found Palio/Petra extremely comfortable to sit in with good front seating position. I dont like sitting too low. It puts too much pressure on the lumbar area. But accent was a shock. It was the first time i sat in accent rear seat, and i am wondering how a car this long can have so less space! Planning to sit in Viva and see if the seating is any different with better support.
Old 10th October 2005, 15:46   #4
Senior - BHPian

You have time...wait and check out the new Ford. As for the Accent, you wont find it comfortable if you're of more than 6' tall, so dont bother.

If you dont like the Ford for some reason, I guess the Indigo is your only choice.
Old 10th October 2005, 15:52   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hey TSK.. I guess SBI's interest rates should beat HDFC's rates.. Just check with them.... And isn't Tata coming out with a new Indigo sometime soon??? [the indigo lwb or somethin?]

Gud luck
Old 10th October 2005, 17:08   #6
BHPian

hey guys,
had a chat with a SBI PB Mgr, he said the car loans have come down to 7 or 7.5 im not sure which is the current rate!!! so it is now pretty much lesser than what it was last month... check out the details...
and tsk, it would be wise for you to make a purchase during or after the new year, unless you want to grab some discounts, .... so by that time the fiesta would be out and prolly with the kind of package you are looking for...

ak
Old 10th October 2005, 21:58   #7
Senior - BHPian

I would recommed the Accent as its really peppy. More of a driver's car
Old 10th October 2005, 22:01   #8
Team-BHP Support

if i was in your place i think i would just go to the nearest tata showroom and drive out in an indigo. inspite of its quality niggles i think the indigo is one of the best vfm packages our country has ever had.

manson.
Old 10th October 2005, 22:30   #9
Senior - BHPian

my choice...accent crdi ...

and i dont think fiesta would be less tahn 7! never would be coz ikon is still alive . u tried ikon? i like its back seating.
Old 11th October 2005, 01:24   #10
Senior - BHPian

For interest rates, it helps to play one finance co against the other...they're pretty competitive and the one that you've done business with earlier will usually match or better the best available rate in the market to keep your business. I know HDFC does - you're also likely to get better rates when you go through a marketing agent than when you go directly to the bank. Thats because the Mktg Agent is usually able to get better rates by getting the difference adjusted against their bulk commissions. So if he gives you a 0.5% better, that difference from your loan is adjusted against his commissions.
Old 11th October 2005, 02:21   #11

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

go for the indigo diesel......good car for its vfm factor.u wont hv troubles atleast for the first 2-3 yrs....one of my friend bought an indigo last yr ...is pretty happy wid it.hasnt suprised him with any unforeseen troubles.just the routine servicing keeps it chugging along perfectly.go for the indigo....
Old 11th October 2005, 11:14   #12
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for the advice people. I too wanted the accent due to its amazing engine, but since i dont fit in it, no point. Indigo it is going to be then, unless the fiesta comes at real mouth watering prices.
Old 11th October 2005, 11:51   #13
Senior - BHPian

Hold on TSK. Wait for the Fiesta and then if you dont like the Ford , walk staright into the TATA showroom.
Old 11th October 2005, 11:55   #14
Team-BHP Support

thats what i plan to do nc, but the question is not really "like" . the price is a big factor. The car i really want to go and pick up, well the Innova, but at 7,75L ex showroom, its far above my budget!
Old 11th October 2005, 12:08   #15
BHPian

tsk,

you might want to check out the Indigo SX. engine and mechanicals all same as the standard indigo LX/LS, but with lot more goodies. since the viva crdi is something you were considering, the indigo SX will definitely fit in your budget. Its 6.66L on road Mumbai.

based on comment here in this forum i did check it out and was pleasantly surprised with the quality of interiors. its a well rounded package with a lot of goodies other manufacturers do not provide as standard equipment.

while you would do well to also wait for the Ford DuroTorq, as per figures posted in the relevant thread, the Ford Diesel might not be up to it in terms of performance. surprising it being a CRDI unit. but will need to wait till it is out to confirm.

check it out.

Last edited by hell_rider : 11th October 2005 at 12:11.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks