Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2010, 16:23   #1
BHPian

To buy or not to buy - Octavia 1.8 Turbo Rider

Hey guys,

I have stumbled across a 2006 December Octavia 1.8 Rider Turbo. The car is Storm Blue and has ONLY done 16,800Kms. This is being sold directly by the owner and he is selling because he is relocating.

He got Stanley Leather done for all interiors including the door trims. The car looks pretty good but for a minor dent on the left side.

The owner is expecting 6L for it. This is in Hyderabad. I am hoping that all the experts here will be able to help me take an informed decision.

My Situation: I have been waiting for a good car for ages now. I currently drive a Fiat Palio 1.9D and this was bought as a stop gap over 2.5 years ago hoping something good will be launched soon that I can buy. I am still in that situation until I saw the Polo. I was going to buy it and then VW slotted an under powered engine in (both Petrol and Diesel) it. I thought I will wait for the 1.6 Petrol. Now I just saw news about the Vento. I however think that I will be perpatually waiting for something nice that is 'Coming Soon'. I came across this car and am wondering if I should take it. Please let me know what you think and what price I should quote for it.
Old 26th April 2010, 23:26   #2
Senior - BHPian

Any specific reason you want to pay approximately the price of a Palio for a used Skoda?

It looks to me you can afford to go for a new car for 6L or thereabouts. You should have enough options to choose from within this budget, be it hatchbacks or sedans. Why not consider them, instead of going for a used Skoda? The Skoda will cost you more to maintain, and going by some of the posts/user reviews, the dealership/service centre issues are probably worse than with Fiat.

I am no expert, but unless there's any compelling reason to buy that Skoda, I would suggest go for a new vehicle, or stick to what you have till you make up your mind about a new car.
Old 26th April 2010, 23:38   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

The Octavia actually happens to be the most reliable Skoda in the markets, and the Rider without all the prone to failure electronics, and the lovely 1.8L Turbo charged engine is a fantastic car.
I would recommend buying this car if you can afford the cost of spares, and the F.E.

Also, I would advice looking for a good independent garage to help out with the spare parts and services.

The comfort, performance, safety, and build quality are miles ahead of anything else you could possibly buy at 6L. The low mileage is an added bonus.
Old 26th April 2010, 23:54   #4
BHPian

IMO civic will be more sensible buy!
Old 27th April 2010, 10:27   #5
Team-BHP Support

If the credentials are good, buy it. Before you do, try and see if there are any good RS's around. You won't find many in sucha good condition.

What you lose out on !

Juicy alloys - Rs 40000 from dealer
bodykit
sunroof
climate control - no big deal
Xenon lights

recommnend you get a vrs bumpers and a set of good allows and you are home!
Old 27th April 2010, 10:48   #6
Senior - BHPian

given the state that is diesel friendly, 6 is a bit high irrespective of mileage. Since it is not a VRS, there won't be many takers for that. For your later upgrade, this car is fine. but why not exploit the market. I was offered octavia turbo petrol years ago at much lower price. right price should be <= 5laks.
Old 27th April 2010, 10:50   #7
Senior - BHPian

hey hi,

is this a used car dealer's vehicle or the owner itself? imo,of the price is a lot. as i have come across vrs's of the same vintage for the same price or lesser with dealers. the only saving grace here is the mileage. but that too would be doubtful if its with a used car dealer.

get the car checked fully, as spares are relatively expensive, the skoda service is good in hyd.

just for the safe side, you sure its a 1.8T and not a 2.0V? check once, as i doubt if the 1.8T was launched in the rider variant that early.

try and bargain it down to below 5l as there is hardly any demand for a used petrol skoda in hyd. let it be any variant or any model.

good luck!

aadix
Old 27th April 2010, 11:14   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Go for it man...
It's a lovely car - terrific engine and great handling.

According to me 1.8 Tpi Rider is a wise choice than vRS as you already get the most important part of the car (the engine). Out of the missing things - I would only recommend upgrading to 16" low profile tyres - the car grips the road like nothing else in that price range. My friend is using the 1.8 Tpi rider in this way and it's an awesome car (his is also Dec 2006 model).

My Laura 1.8 Tsi beats the Octy 1.8Tpi in the straight line but on the curves, the Octy is more sure footed - of cource my Laura is running on the stock 15" Goodyears while his Octy is running on 16" low profile Michelines.

However, maintenance will be a bit heavier - if I am not wrong, the 1.8Tpi engine was equipped with dual mass flywheel. Please confirm with the service guys if that's really the case. DMF reduces vibrations but at the time of clutch overhaul, DMF also needs to be replaced...which is expensive.
Old 27th April 2010, 11:23   #9
Senior - BHPian

Considering :
- the Octavia Rider (petrol) is a cool 3 lakhs cheaper than the Civic
- It is a flop model, yes IT IS a flop model.
- I have lost count on how outdated this model is (10+ years). It matters in used car market.
- Civic 2006 S MT are available for 7.00 ish at maximum.

Why would you want to pay 6.00 for this car. 5.00 is the max max max if you are desperate.
Old 27th April 2010, 12:07   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadix View Post
as i doubt if the 1.8T was launched in the rider variant that early.
IIRC, the Rider TPi was launched around mid 2005.

Last I checked (end 2009), a new Rider TPi used to cost around 10.5 OTR in Calcutta, post discounts. A 4 year old TPi should surely cost 5L or less. Even 4 year old Civic's depreciate by 5L !
Old 27th April 2010, 12:11   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post

However, maintenance will be a bit heavier - if I am not wrong, the 1.8Tpi engine was equipped with dual mass flywheel. Please confirm with the service guys if that's really the case. DMF reduces vibrations but at the time of clutch overhaul, DMF also needs to be replaced...which is expensive.
Not necessarily - being a petrol and unless you dump the clutch and drag race, the DMF can last for two clutches. I just changed my clutch but not flywheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
Considering :
- the Octavia Rider (petrol) is a cool 3 lakhs cheaper than the Civic
- It is a flop model, yes IT IS a flop model.
- I have lost count on how outdated this model is (10+ years). It matters in used car market..
5 lakhs would be reasonable. Like I said, please check other used VRS to understand price on market
Old 27th April 2010, 15:44   #12
BHPian

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all your inputs. I will get the car checked and give my quote and let you all know how it goes.
Old 27th April 2010, 15:45   #13
Senior - BHPian

6 Lacs would be a tad bit higher for a Petrol Octavia 4 years old !

I would look at the Corolla or a Civic. Both in terms of road presence and performance are better than the Octavia.
Old 27th April 2010, 16:18   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
I would look at the Corolla or a Civic. Both in terms of road presence and performance are better than the Octavia.
Corolla/Civic performance better than Octavia???
Old 10th January 2013, 12:33   #15
Senior - BHPian

Re: To buy or not to buy - Octavia 1.8 Turbo Rider

I know an Octavia 1.8L, Turbocharged petrol, model 2006, done 60k being sold for 3.3 Lakhs in my company, it has new set of tyres and in good condition. Please advice me on the pro's and con's of buying this vehicle. I am planning to sell my Accent and buy this car.

Most Viewed