Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2010, 11:19   #16
BHPian

My vote would go for the VTEC too. A few months ago, when I was looking for another car, i found a few Honda's. One was an automatic for about 2.4L. Could have bargained for about 15K odd, but decided against it. Gotta buy a Honda some day!

In the end, my pocket stayed dominant over every emotion I had. Went in for a 2001 Alto VX 1.1 with CNG . Indulge in the smaller pleasures of a 1.1 mill when I like and the greater pleasure of economy for my office travel. Been about 60 days since the day the Alto came home and the ODO has traversed 3200 kms already.
Old 13th May 2010, 19:44   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

It's the Vtec without a second thought for your friend. However, get the car checked out thoroughly by an expert. In addition to the usual stuff:

a) Whether its an original Vtec. Too many rebadged regular 1.5s posing as Vtecs in the used market.

b) Verify the mileage. That engine ages so well, that even a 1,20,000 km car feels like its run only 60,000. Under-clocking the odometer is a common malpractice with the OHC (and Qualis).

Clean Vtecs are now a rare breed (like Classic 4x4s). If you find a good example, pay a premium but pick it up. Wide smile everytime you high-revv guaranteed. Even the Civic doesn't provide that kind of raw acceleration. The OHC Vtec is an absolute maniac at full clip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Apparently I don't know how many of you have noticed that a v-tec's seating isn't that comfortable for a 6 footer.
The Vtec doesn't have comfortable seating for anyone, leave aside 6 footers. Reason? That lousy seat which offers pathetic support. The ergonomics, on the other hand, are spot on. All controls fall easily to hand, and the driver has a fab all-round view.

Last edited by GTO : 13th May 2010 at 19:45.
Old 17th August 2010, 15:55   #18
BHPian

Hi, sorry for bumping an old thread, but I have a similar query, the only thing I'm worried about is the fact that these are second hand cars, what is the maintenance scene like for the accent vis-à-vis the city considering the fact that fact that the Honda has been replaced 2 generations back, the factors I am worried about are:
  • availability of spares
  • cost of spares

Thanks.
Old 18th August 2010, 22:43   #19
BHPian

Dont know if you are still in the market. But i would suggest a used VTEC for sure. But get it thoroughly checked before you buy it

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks