Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2010, 10:40   #1
BHPian

Used Mahindra Logan : Is it a good buy?

Hello friends

I've shortlisted a very good condition Renault Logan 2008 model 18600 km on odo. This is 1.4 GTX top model with all 4 power window, power steering, sony mp3 with usb and 4 pioneer speaker and great quality beige elegant seat covers. The tires have 35% tread left on it and the boot tyre is in stock condition with 0 usage.
The VIN on the chasis of car reads 8ZA which shows its january 2008 manufactured. Its a while colored car with Haryana registration.

The guy has finally agreed on 2.75 lack deal. I somehow feel that the price is high considering that the tie-up is over and there is nothing certain which way it would head. I really liked the car for its handling and performance is good as per my requisite.

Please suggest me what should be the ideal price for this renault logan. If 2.75 is ideal or if there is scope of negotiation.

Last edited by sameer551 : 20th May 2010 at 10:52.
Old 20th May 2010, 11:18   #2
Team-BHP Support

No idea on price, but you will get support - mahindra want to continue with car and even if they wash their hands off it, renault will support it inorder to ensure their image is not tarnished. The car shares a lot of components with the Clio which arrive in a couple of years.

No idea about the 1.4gLX but as a tough runabout. This loks like a good deal. Check how much a similar petrol indigo goes for, add 10% more and you may have an idea on price
Old 20th May 2010, 11:32   #3
Senior - BHPian

The price can be bargained further by 30 - 40k more as this car is not seeing any sales despite so many price cuts. New ones hardly move out of showrooms.

The car has a very good engine and as Ajmat said you will get support.

Try to bargain harder.
Old 20th May 2010, 11:48   #4
BHPian

Thanks Ajmat and Vkochar...I have tried to bargain hard but the guy is not ready to go lower than 2.75. Its fully loaded with good seat covers and sony stereo all 4 speakers, even he has some boot spoiler don't know what they call it give it sporty look on hatch.

I've not checked the prices of Indigo so far as I've never been interested but will check to compare.

30-40k bargain looks out of way with this buyer at least. Even I am clueless if I should go for it at 2.75. Tempted with the car and its handling and good condition.
Only way to convince is a bad rugged wagonR goes for 2.75 and here we get a fully loaded sedan less miles done for that much.;
Old 20th May 2010, 12:55   #5
Team-BHP Support

Remember though, a Logan holds its miles well. I have ridden in 120k Logans and they are rock solid. The Indigo marina cabs are ropey at 60k itself
Old 20th May 2010, 13:06   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Remember though, a Logan holds its miles well. I have ridden in 120k Logans and they are rock solid. The Indigo marina cabs are ropey at 60k itself
Yes, the car seems to solid build and great ride and suspensions. Not like suzukis which would just rattle on every pothole.

Its always pity that we have to think twice for such good cars because mostly its co's which mess up with great products.

I still wonder what if it were a Maruti Logan.
Old 20th May 2010, 20:14   #7
BHPian

You can check the price from carwale.com and see if its reasonable. Also check all service records from service center and get the car checked there as well. That will give you an idea about the fairness of the price.
As others have mentioned, you shouldnt have much problems with support.
Old 20th May 2010, 23:09   #8
evo
BHPian

The Logan is quite a tough car I think, just check out the Merus! I doubt he is going to have many buyers anyway, so if you are feeling adventurous, you could offer him -30K and leave it at that.
Old 20th May 2010, 23:49   #9
BHPian

Thanks guys for inputs. The carwale valuation suggests around 2.90 for a good condition in our area.

I've checked the service book and the guy has got the car serviced 4 times as per the schedule, I have not taken the car to the service center yet for checking but have test drove myself and I found it ok. But I am not an expert in this area.

I just opened the engine bay and found it to be very neat without any leaks and from such great appearance and condition of engine it even did not look 2 years old car.

Also as you guys suggest that support should not be a problem, as far I know this car is still in production and will remain for another 1 half year may be and then later on they may get out with some other major changes in body. But I believe they are not going to change the engine components even in the future launches.

Only thing which bothers me is what would be resale value of this car after 1-2 years. Would it also go palio way for less than 1 lack
Old 21st May 2010, 08:17   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer551 View Post
Only thing which bothers me is what would be resale value of this car after 1-2 years. Would it also go palio way for less than 1 lack
If you buy this car then please keep in mind that the resale for a 3rd hand Logan will be not good.

Otherwise a good car. Although I have heard Diesel Logans have good resales as Taxi Operaters like keeping them because of their high FE !
Old 21st May 2010, 08:31   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

There is one thing bothering me - You mentioned that the tyres have 35% of life left in them, even though the car has covered 18.5Kkm.
Did anyone else feel that this could be an issue?

To be on the safe side, before picking up the car, do check its service history, the kms driven when it was sent for its last service, alignment issues (uneven wear), and insurance details to find out about accidents.

As a car, the Logan is superb. It would have been a success had it been priced lower and looked more modern. I sat in my bua's Logan and was very impressed with the car, specially the space and build.

Also, avoid speculating on the resale value. It could stay the same if Mahindra is proactive, or could fall below 1L if Mahindra discontinues production. If you buy this car, keep it long term.

Last edited by lamborghini : 21st May 2010 at 08:36.
Old 21st May 2010, 08:44   #12
BHPian

I think it's a good price and if can be bought down a little more it'll be icing on the cake, do check the car properly though.
Old 21st May 2010, 09:54   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
There is one thing bothering me - You mentioned that the tyres have 35% of life left in them, even though the car has covered 18.5Kkm.
Did anyone else feel that this could be an issue?

To be on the safe side, before picking up the car, do check its service history, the kms driven when it was sent for its last service, alignment issues (uneven wear), and insurance details to find out about accidents.
The tires were JK Vecta stock ones and the boot tire has not been used once. I may be wrong with judging the tread life but owner himself said it has 35% life but they seem to be good at 18.5k kms and I believe it could last for another 8-10k. I've no idea if JK's could last long for 40k or something.

I think I will go ahead and get the car checked at service center. Although I've checked all the papers and service book everything has been done as scheduled.

Thanks everyone for inputs. Let me see if this guy budges to get a bit more low. Will keep you guys updated.
Old 21st May 2010, 17:42   #14
kkg
BHPian

Sameer551, your location specifies Delhi and the logan you are keen to buy is HR registered. As far as i know the HR regd cars have low resale values in Delhi. Also not to forget about the expenses to get it registered in Delhi which in itself is a big task.

Would suggest you to keep these things in mind.
Old 21st May 2010, 22:08   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkg View Post
Sameer551, your location specifies Delhi and the logan you are keen to buy is HR registered. As far as i know the HR regd cars have low resale values in Delhi. Also not to forget about the expenses to get it registered in Delhi which in itself is a big task.

Would suggest you to keep these things in mind.
Kkg, thanks for pointing out but I am aware of all this. If I buy then I would not sell it soon, so I am not that much bothered with the resale as I know it would go for peanuts if Mahindra takes it off from the market with no further new models based on it. Secondly, I will get it registered in Haryana itself as I know its a hassle to do interstate registration.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks