Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2010, 10:03   #1
BHPian

Diesel Jetta v/s Sonata Transform confused

Gyus,

Need opinions to choose between the two cars,

Manual deisel
Jetta v/s Sonata transform

Both at same price of 18.5 lakh on road mumbai.

Basic criteria is ride comfort for the rear seat. But the driving should also be effortless and easy.

Jetta is ahead on features, build quality, fit and finish and gives a very rich impression on the interiors and exteriors. The space at the rear is sufficient and never felt cramped. The test drive is awaited. The heart and mid says Jetta.

Sonata transform is big. Loads of space and very god ride comfort at the back the driving is ok but effortless. I find the ergonomics for driver not upto the mark but not uncomfortable either, easy to live with. The back space is where its a gem. space and comfort is what it it provides to the 'T'.

I also test drove Cruze, Captiva, laura. All are out on one count or another except for these two.
Cruze does not have comfort or space at the rear and there is lot of turbo lag.
Captiva is bumpy but excellent and easy to drive. Lots of space at the rear but it does not look, from the interior an expensive car.
Laura looks tacky when compared to Jetta or Sonata transform. It was not appealing enough.
Superb is the best of the lot but out of budget. Excellent on all aspects but out of budget.
Passat is a copy of Superb or the other way around but slightly less space on the rear. That is the only seperation between the two.
Toyota is not taking bookings of fortuner and even after that one has to wait for another 6-7 months. No time was wasted to test drive this.
Ford is considered bumpy so it was never in race.
All honda cars are petrol so out of question.
Maruti has just grand vitara in petrol so that is also out of question.

Thus, I need opinions on Sonata transform and Jetta. Both diesel and at same price.

The car will be booked in a week or two at max.

Many thanks.
Old 25th May 2010, 11:18   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

With a basic criteria of ride comfort, look no further than the Sonata.
Resale value is poor, though the space and comfort is better.
Maintainance costs for the Sonata will be lower as well. The Jetta would be a better option if you drove the car everyday.
Old 25th May 2010, 11:53   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
With a basic criteria of ride comfort, look no further than the Sonata.
Resale value is poor, though the space and comfort is better.
Maintainance costs for the Sonata will be lower as well. The Jetta would be a better option if you drove the car everyday.
The Sonata is being changed in 2010. IMO buying a Sonata now would be a major waste of money!

The Jetta is a brilliant car, but the rear ride comfort and space is not necessarily the best.

Having requirements for a diesel however, perhaps the Sonata is your best bet.

If you can consider Petrol cars, a whole new world opens up to you !

Last edited by imp! : 25th May 2010 at 11:57.
Old 25th May 2010, 13:05   #4
BHPian

thanks.. I agree for most of the part..

as maintenance has been mentioned. a questions pops up. how well Sonata holds down the year? i mean does the ride comfort that it gives will take a beating and the creaking of components, engine harshness etc becomes a issue one has to live with? any sonata user should be able to answer that.

Sonata transform was launched last year. I'm not aware that it will be replaced in 2010 itself. a shelf life of just one year! May be just cosmetic upgrades like rear AC vent, indicator on side rear view mirrors and like be planned. Hyundai dealer just told us that they are taking out test drive feedback to the company but we never thought we should ask when the new model will come considering it was launched last year only.

Petrol is out of question as it will be driven a lot and cars in this range give very poor FE of less than 10.
Old 25th May 2010, 13:12   #5
BHPian

IMHO Jetta is a drivers car, the pleasure of driving that you can extract from Jetta can not be done with Sonata Transform, having said that Sonata Transform is not that bad.

Second point is if you are looking for Diesel, VW are know for there superb diesel which is not the case for Hyundai.

Disclaimer: This is my personal experience after driving both of these cars in US. I am not sure how different these are in India.
Old 25th May 2010, 13:16   #6
Senior - BHPian

I would have told you to go in for the Sonata hands downs as it is one of my fav cars. However, it is getting replaced and if you can wait, please do wait for the new one.

Is looks are trully breathtaking and really carries a lot of oomph. But if you are not willing to wait, go in for the Sonata ;-)

It is way better than a Jetta and more so for its size
Old 25th May 2010, 13:46   #7
BHPian

Thanks.

I agree that Jetta is more of a drivers car. Most of the time the car will be driven by a chauffeur (some 90% of time) so driving pleasure is not much of a concern. The backseat is and that is where Sonata is much better than Jetta.

Agree that VW is known for their diesels but the point is that they have brought only one diesel for Jetta, wheather that is the best is I'm unaware. It seems that Hyundai has got a pretty good diesel in Sonata to up their ante. So. this does not seem to be much of a concern here but a valid point.

I will check with the Hyundai sales team on the launch of new model. I will then wait.

Thanks all for the info and opinions.
Old 25th May 2010, 13:59   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawanak View Post
thanks.. I agree for most of the part..

as maintenance has been mentioned. a questions pops up. how well Sonata holds down the year? i mean does the ride comfort that it gives will take a beating and the creaking of components, engine harshness etc becomes a issue one has to live with? any sonata user should be able to answer that.

Sonata transform was launched last year. I'm not aware that it will be replaced in 2010 itself. a shelf life of just one year! May be just cosmetic upgrades like rear AC vent, indicator on side rear view mirrors and like be planned. Hyundai dealer just told us that they are taking out test drive feedback to the company but we never thought we should ask when the new model will come considering it was launched last year only.

Petrol is out of question as it will be driven a lot and cars in this range give very poor FE of less than 10.

The Sonata build quality is excellent. A friend of mine has it, and even after the car was completely destroyed in an accident and then re-built, everything is still in its proper place, the engine is still quite silent (but the noise has increased due to the accident) and there are no squeaks or other irritating noises. He is extremely happy with the car.

This is the 2011 Sonata. Worth waiting for IMO.
Hyundai Sonata: Safe Family Cars - Better MPG than Camry or Accord | Hyundai

As far as FE is concerned, how much will the car be driven? You could buy a used Camry/Accord in the 10-12 lac budget and keep the money you saved for Petrol (should last a while!) ; Generally you will find better deals on the Camry
Old 25th May 2010, 14:40   #9
BHPian

the car will be driven between 16-20 k kms in a year. Thus, the diesel is what we are looking for. A second hand Camry petrol is not considered because we are looking at new car only. Anyway I think over 3-4 years Camry the cost advantage will even out

many thanks to you all.
Old 25th May 2010, 15:16   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

i would buy neither if i was buying for rear seat comfort. superb (used, if budget doesn't permit) would be my choice.

sonata has not been selling a lot, i am sure you know that. it is hard to put money on a car that is faring so badly (mental block). go for test drive as soon as you can and usually you will know what suits your requirements. it is unbelievable what looks so good in the showroom but turns out to be such a bummer during test drive.
Old 25th May 2010, 15:52   #11
BHPian

Proven German machine OR low on personality Korean machine? I would be firmly on the VW side of the fence, maybe even consider the Skoda for comparison sake. Perhaps this review might be of help: Czech point - Laura TSi vs Sonata vs Jetta - Comparison Tests : Overdrive
Old 25th May 2010, 15:58   #12
BANNED

Almost everything about both the cars has been said here. I too would suggest the Sonata Transform since it a couple of notches, nay perhaps even higher than the Jetta in terms of comfort. I have driven and travelled in it and can vouch for its comfort levels.
The major reason it doesn't sell is because Hyundai doesn't know how to sell it properly.

Upkeep is typical Hyundai, affordable and easily available.
Old 25th May 2010, 16:02   #13
BHPian

If your use model is predominantly rear-seat ride and your comparison is limited to Jetta and Sonata only, then Sonata wins with a big margin.

Go for Jetta only if you find an enthusiastic driver who wouldn't mind a lesser salary just for the joy of driving a Jetta

A driver-driven car generally visits the service center more often than an owner-driven one and you must factor this into your decision making process. VW dealers sell a lot less cars than Hyundai dealers, but they are almost equally rich - I guess you get what I mean
Old 25th May 2010, 17:44   #14
BHPian

I was totally sold on Superb, it is way above on all aspects be it luxury, space or comfort. Totally rocking. Just that the diesel superb is about 10 lakh more than Jetta or Sonata Transform.

Hyundai does not market this car well, they are poor. I was told that they have a dedicated service bay for sonata owners now and has standard pick up and drop facility, anywhere breakdown facility etc. I don't know the truth of it but it can be easily verified so I do not think there will be any service issues with that.

The opinions are pretty clear on the criteria. For self driven it should be Jetta and for rear seat it should be Sonata.

That should settle the score I think. I will just get more info on the new launch of Sonata before booking it.

Many thanks to all.
Old 28th May 2010, 20:33   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

I would like to add the Sonata with tall gearing, 6 speed gearbox and huge dimensions is pain to drive in city at times.

The Jetta on the other side is easier and better to Drive, with the new Common Rail engine its even better.

My Pick is Laura CR, its easily the best of the lot, the only thing not good about it is the Skoda service support.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks