Team-BHP - used civic / octavia at 11 lacs?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Sedans (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans/)
-   -   used civic / octavia at 11 lacs? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans/82666-used-civic-octavia-11-lacs.html)

Am trying to buy a used sedan in Bangalore and came across the following deals and would like to know whether it is worth considering them.

1. Used Honda civic 1.8 V, Nov 2008, ran 9000 Kms - quoted price is 11 lacs.

2. Used octavia 1.9 TDI, Feb 2010, ran 5000 Kms - quoted price is 11 lacs.

Go for the civic. You may get a new Octavia for around that price.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maibaa (Post 1915158)
Go for the civic. You may get a new Octavia for around that price.

The on road price of new civic is 15.5 lacs and new octavia is 14.7 lacs

Is the Civic a manual or auto? Car wale prices for the above info you have provided says 10 odd L if the car is in excellent condition.

Edit: Contact smartcat for pointers. He just bought a Civic a week or so back.

Link to his ownership report

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...nda-civic.html

Skoda + used = may turn out to burning hole in pocket later.

But of course, Octy is diesel, Civic is petrol - so you might take that also into consideration.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hassanks (Post 1915211)
The on road price of new octavia is 14.7 lacs

May be it is. But also remember that no one is buying it these days. The seller would have a tough time getting a buyer at that price point.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hassanks (Post 1915112)
Am trying to buy a used sedan in Bangalore and came across the following deals and would like to know whether it is worth considering them.

1. Used Honda civic 1.8 V, Nov 2008, ran 9000 Kms - quoted price is 11 lacs.

2. Used octavia 1.9 TDI, Feb 2010, ran 5000 Kms - quoted price is 11 lacs.

hassanks, you would receive more replies for your query in the following thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...ck-thread.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Bean (Post 1915418)
hassanks, you would receive more replies for your query in the following thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...ck-thread.html

As suggested I will shift my query to the above thread.

Mods. please close this thread.

Why is the owner selling the Octi so soon? Remember it's a Skoda, so I suspect that there might surely be some problem with the car.

Rather, check out the Civic or an Altis which you would get in the same price range. If you need a Skoda, get a Laura.

Quote:

Originally Posted by prateekm (Post 1915472)
Why is the owner selling the Octi so soon? Remember it's a Skoda, so I suspect that there might surely be some problem with the car.

Rather, check out the Civic or an Altis which you would get in the same price range. If you need a Skoda, get a Laura.

Well, that is quite an inane comment (no disrespect intended); Yes, in general buying a Skoda is risking a white elephant, but one thing I know for a fact is that the Octavia had known issues which would creep up every so many klicks and that was it. The Octavia in general is a pretty reliable beast. It was the cost of repairs that had people riled up more than anything else. I personally know of two Octavia diesels (am sure if I ask around I'd find many more than just these two) that have raked my a lot of mileage (over one lakh on one and 50-60 thousand odd on another); the former has had its clutch changed once, and regular service. The latter has just been in for scheduled servicing. I also know of one corolla that has been horrible to its owner (but if I needed bullet proof reliability, I'd buy Toyota)
We don't know if the Laura is as reliable as the octavia, we do know that the Superb has some DSG issues. I don't know about the Fabia, but I'd assume that since many more Fabias are sold, I'd have heard if the car had major issues.

The biggest gripe I have with Skoda is the way the corporation treats its customers. I just can't fathom ignoring concerns of people who put food on my plate.

TO THE OP:

If you are buying used, buy a Civic. It will hold its value more over the years, its a newer car and has more space for its passengers.

Similar civics for a around 9-10 i think. Plenty of civics in the market.

Why is the Octy for sale? YOu can always get the service history from any dealer. If you are keen on the car, I can always give it a scan to check. The diesel is reliable if a little noisy but a good workhorse. Again 11 is a bit high

both not worth buy. if u are looking used, get one at a good price. civic in range of 8-9 should be a good deal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by prateekm (Post 1915472)

The owner had bought a Laura and a Octavia and he want to buy one more laura after selling octavia. I already own a laura 1.8 TSI and want to buy octavia since it is one of the reliable vehicle and excellent machine to drive. Of course I will need to check the condition of the vehicle before even start negotiating the price. Want to find out whether it is worth paying 11 lacs if the vehicle is in excellent condition considering the current on-road price of 14.7 lacs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmat (Post 1915496)
Similar civics for a around 9-10 i think. Plenty of civics in the market.

Why is the Octy for sale? YOu can always get the service history from any dealer. If you are keen on the car, I can always give it a scan to check. The diesel is reliable if a little noisy but a good workhorse. Again 11 is a bit high

I yet to see both the vehicles, the civic is owned by my neighbor and he claims it is maintained extremely well. I tried multiple used car showroom but could not find a well maintained civic / octavia.

Octavia is on sale because the owner want to sell it and buy another laura ( he bought an octavia and laura together). I have checked with TAFE and they told it is a good vehicle but however if I plan to go for this will get back to you if it is not inconvenience to you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kutlee (Post 1915520)
both not worth buy. if u are looking used, get one at a good price. civic in range of 8-9 should be a good deal.

I tried multiple used car showroom but could not find a well maintained civic / octavia.

Quote:

Originally Posted by imp! (Post 1915489)
Well, that is quite an inane comment (no disrespect intended); Yes, in general buying a Skoda is risking a white elephant, but one thing I know for a fact is that the Octavia had known issues which would creep up every so many klicks and that was it. The Octavia in general is a pretty reliable beast. It was the cost of repairs that had people riled up more than anything else. I personally know of two Octavia diesels (am sure if I ask around I'd find many more than just these two) that have raked my a lot of mileage (over one lakh on one and 50-60 thousand odd on another); the former has had its clutch changed once, and regular service. The latter has just been in for scheduled servicing. I also know of one corolla that has been horrible to its owner (but if I needed bullet proof reliability, I'd buy Toyota)
We don't know if the Laura is as reliable as the octavia, we do know that the Superb has some DSG issues. I don't know about the Fabia, but I'd assume that since many more Fabias are sold, I'd have heard if the car had major issues.

The biggest gripe I have with Skoda is the way the corporation treats its customers. I just can't fathom ignoring concerns of people who put food on my plate.

TO THE OP:

If you are buying used, buy a Civic. It will hold its value more over the years, its a newer car and has more space for its passengers.

As IMP said octavia is a very reliable car, that was I heard from some of the owners and is a really good car to drive. I will only buy an octavia if it is well maintained and reasonably priced.

Test drove the civic today. Looks like accident free and rides good. Gear shifting was not smooth and little vibration in the steering. Is it an issue with wheel alignment / low tire air pressure?

Interiors was not clean, and need some good cleaning, couple of scratches in the exterior. Otherwise looks fine, no evidence of accident.

He want to sell it since planning to relocate to US. Offered 9.5 lacs and he is yet to come back. It is a Feb 2008 model Civic 1.8 V ran 9000 Kms.