Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2010, 05:39   #16
BHPian

Guys i took all your advice, got everything in order was going to book the ALTIS in light blue this weekend and now all this talk about the 1.4 diesel has gotten me all confused. I don't know what i should do, should i wait for the diesel? My dad's running is not more than 900 - 1000 km per month, but what really is stopping me is the new look. I don't want to buy a car today just 3 weeks before a newer look model is going to launch. Also even if i wait for the diesel do you think that the 1.4 will be really under powered. Guys please help me out cause i have less than a week to avail of the free insurance scheme, or else i'll have to wait it out one more month....What should i do
Old 25th June 2010, 09:51   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishaanranderia View Post
Guys i took all your advice, got everything in order was going to book the ALTIS in light blue this weekend and now all this talk about the 1.4 diesel has gotten me all confused. I don't know what i should do, should i wait for the diesel? My dad's running is not more than 900 - 1000 km per month, but what really is stopping me is the new look. I don't want to buy a car today just 3 weeks before a newer look model is going to launch. Also even if i wait for the diesel do you think that the 1.4 will be really under powered. Guys please help me out cause i have less than a week to avail of the free insurance scheme, or else i'll have to wait it out one more month....What should i do
Hi Ishaan,
I don't think you should be confused about the Diesel/Petrol option keeping in mind the miles you do per month. It simply has to be the petrol. Even if you were to check out the new Diesel 1.4, you just can't decide on it immediately. You will give it enough time to understand how the car is doing over a period of time. Altis is a proven car, go for it. Don't get diverted, you won't regret about your decision.
Old 25th June 2010, 14:01   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Ishaan dont think about, just go for the petrol. First of all the monthly running does not justify the premium we are charged for the diesel. Secondly the updated front grill is meant only for the diesel models, the petrol ones will remain the same from what I read. Also you get 40+ additional horses in petrol.Go for it dude.

Last edited by MihirC : 25th June 2010 at 14:03.
Old 29th June 2010, 20:07   #19
BHPian

First of all thank you for all your help so far, i need one more doubt cleared
Ok after a whole lot of discussion, from i20, sx4, honda city back to Altis, the altis has been finalized. There was some more discussion about the colour (with every one having their own favourite colour - mine was light blue ) but everyone seemed to compromise and are ok with pearl white. Now i was going to pay the token amount today when i came to know about a 2nd hand Altis automatic 3 months old, only 2500 kms run for 13.5 do you think i should still go in for a new Altis G model or should i buy the automatic 2nd hand Altis, in a dilemma all over again.
Though my brother is of the opinion we should just buy a new car, and not buy a 2nd hand even if its just 3 months old. Any advice
p.s. budget is 13.5 so dont want to stretch to 16.5 (on road mumbai) for new automatic altis

Last edited by ishaanranderia : 29th June 2010 at 20:15.
Old 29th June 2010, 21:30   #20
BHPian

Check up if there are any insurance claims on the car,since it is a Toyota, I doubt if there are any niggles. Try and check up if the usage for the 2500 kms has been rough or not. If things are in order it seems to be a good deal.
Old 29th June 2010, 22:12   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MihirC View Post
Check up if there are any insurance claims on the car,since it is a Toyota, I doubt if there are any niggles. Try and check up if the usage for the 2500 kms has been rough or not. If things are in order it seems to be a good deal.

2500 km is nothing, it's really a brand new car. Check up with insurance company and the Toyota Dealership, if the car is clean, pick it up. You will be saving about 2 lakhs.
Old 29th June 2010, 23:17   #22
Senior - BHPian

With the diesel coming soon there are bound to come few good deals of Altis petrol in market. You'll get some great features in AT over the G model like HID lights, electric seats, headlamp washers, photochrometic rear view mirror. Check for any history of accident or any major issue, if not then it is as good as new. What color is it?

I have been driving the Altis GL manual from Oct 2008 and can say the car is as good as new till now. It has great pickup, drive and comfort. Manual one is also great.
Old 29th June 2010, 23:34   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
What color is it?.
Well the colour is an issue. No one likes it in my house, it's the dark red mica. So before i pay the cheque tomorrow i'll find out about the car decide by early evening....
Old 30th June 2010, 09:40   #24
BANNED

I face the same issue a couple of months ago. I narrowed down to the Altis and the Civic. It finally boiled down to Manual (Altis) or the AT (Civic). Since we decided on an AT we went with the latter. The other options Laura (notoriously poor service) and Jetta (from the same stable, and over priced and hyped) had gone out of the window very quickly. Having had the Civic for a month I am quite happy (charging problems not with standing) and the low GC story is grossly overhyped.

If you plan to keep the car for six years or so, there will be one or possibly two model upgrades in the period. The Altis is already off the UK site - a new name Auris is there. The Civic is due for a major face lift next year.
Old 30th June 2010, 10:04   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Having had the Civic for a month I am quite happy (charging problems not with standing) and the low GC story is grossly overhyped.
The latest face lifted civic has its suspension tuned up to address the low GC problem faced in earlier civics. That is why you don't feel this problem in your car. It is a well known and accepted fact that earlier civics do have low GC due to the soft suspension setup and hence problems while negotiating road humps.
Old 30th June 2010, 10:40   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Well the colour is an issue. No one likes it in my house, it's the dark red mica. So before i pay the cheque tomorrow i'll find out about the car decide by early evening....
No matter how "new" the car is, this particular one is way over priced, but, that is the trend with all Toyota cars. Since you don't like the colour, you really just ought to buy a new one, even if it is manual ( I might be biased because I hate auto boxes ); please keep in mind that any new car should be depreciated 30% the minute it is driven out of the dealership. However Toyota and Maruti cars enjoy excellent residuals, they make for bad buys. For that much money you could get a hardly used Accord or Camry.
Old 30th June 2010, 16:53   #27
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Altis AT - much better options for the dads today compared to the civic AT. Things may change by the time we get older but today the only real choice worth taking is the Altis AT. Cruz is not that much a city drivers car, and the Laura AT will add another 4 L to the budget.

Scorpio AT can be a fun option in the sense that driving an SUV with high visibility in the city is fun and cars do make way for you. Check that out as well. Plus Scorpio AT would be a diesel.
Old 30th June 2010, 16:59   #28
BHPian

Ok so, i know it sounds impractical but we got carried away by the whole feeling of owning a brand new car, straight from the showroom, so even though we had to go for the manual, just completed the finance formalities and given the booking amount to the representative from Millennium Toyota, for he was the only one offering the Re. 1 insurance scheme, others said their stock was sold out.
Though at the time of cross questioning the representative seemed reluctant to confirm about the Re. 1 insurance, i made him write it down on my receipt but i hope he doesn't back out.
In any case i have placed an order of pearl white mica Altis with delivery in 3-4 weeks
Old 30th June 2010, 17:04   #29
BHPian

Congratulations. What Variant have you gone for and whats the OTR??
Old 1st July 2010, 01:35   #30
BHPian

The OTR in mumbai cost me 13.7 (less 46k if the Re. 1 insurance works out) I bought the G model, thought it was better value than GL.
Oh by the way is it a good idea to get polymer coating and anti rust coating done to it as soon as it arrives, at the dealership? or is this all just pointless. Also planning on putting reverse parking sensors.

Last edited by ishaanranderia : 1st July 2010 at 01:39.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks