Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2010, 17:50   #1
BHPian

Need Advice: Used Honda Accord 2.3 or Used Hyundai Sonata 2.7 V6

Hi,

After doing a lot of research on my next upgrade, I've zeroed down on these two cars. I want to know the pros and cons of both the vehicles and which one is more advisable to go for. I know most of you will suggest the accord for the sheer reliability buy the hyundai is cheaper than the accord plus has a little more gizmos (read: power seats) (please correct me if I am wrong). My heart is set on the sonata because of the V6 engine plus triptronic gearbox vs the honda's inline 4, manual. Having owned a Honda before, no complaints about the reliability. Plus hyundai's FE is keeping me away, but can be dealt with.

My monthly run will be 1500kms approx city and highway, which includes occasional trips to pune and back.

I was thinking of picking up the sonata for cheap and probably fitting it with a good FFE for d v6 purr plus the additional funds can go in for the music system.

help me guys. I hope you have understood the whole confusion. The more I think about them the more confused I get

Abhijeet

Last edited by bblost : 25th August 2010 at 13:12. Reason: Smileys limited to 2 per post. Please refer the forum rules. Thanks.
Old 24th August 2010, 18:46   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow...I thought I was the only one to test drive the old (Jaguar shape)Sonata V6 AT (was doing this for a friend). It's a great package on paper, but the test drive brought out the facts - the AT gearbox is extremely pathetic - progress is sluggish and there is simply no driving pleasure. The V6 FE is extremely bad. However, rear seat comfort is lovely.

If you are bored of Honda, and need a V6 with AT, take a look at used Skoda Superb. Much much much more fun to drive than the old (Jaguar type) Sonata V6 AT.

Note: We test drove the Jaguar like Sonata...you know they made many types - Jaguar likeSonata, Accord like Sonata, Sonata like Sonata...

Not sure if the engine/gearbox combo is imporved in the other shapes...the latest shape (Sonata like Sonata) I think offers AT only in the CRDi version...

Last edited by anandpadhye : 24th August 2010 at 18:50.
Old 24th August 2010, 19:27   #3
BHPian

I'd say the Accord any day. The Sonata has not lived up to it's potential in India. But like anandpadhye said, why not look at the Superb too?
Old 24th August 2010, 21:04   #4
Team-BHP Support

Firstly what is your budget? Accordingly we can suggest what is a better buy.

Secondly I would say forget the Sonata.
- Its got a lousy gearbox. Only 4 speed and the tiptronic rakes ages to shift.
- Mileage will be bad. Your running is 1500km a month so petrol will cost you around 12k.

Now the Accord
- Yes, it is very very reliable. And spares wont be a problem (You might have a problem with the Sonata)
- Nice manual gearbox.
- Will give you a much more respectable mileage.
- More fun to drive. Wont be all over the place like a sonata, the Accord's handling is relatively sharper.

Get the Accord engine checked up and tuned and fill in synthetic, and it will pur smoother than the Sonata V6.

Oh and why not the Accord V6. There are good examples for less than 7 lacs and it is a much better buy than the sonata.
Old 24th August 2010, 21:18   #5
Senior - BHPian

and i would like to tell you that the V6 sonata H matic gearbox is really bad
we had one and spent around 3.75lacs to get it half repaired, engineers were flown in from Malaysia (i think) and they couldn't fix it

i sold it for about 2.75lacs 5 years back and the person who bought it came back with the car the very next day due to the gear box problem

later i got to know that he took out the v6 and put a diesel in it
Old 24th August 2010, 21:52   #6
BHPian

A no- brainer actually - The Honda Accord is way superior !

- Low maintenance
- Better resale value
- More refined
- Snob value
- Premium feel
- Fuel efficiency
Old 24th August 2010, 22:11   #7
BHPian

It would have to be the Accord. Hands down.
The old sonata v6 is really not in the right frame as the accord.
I would strongly suggest the old Superb for sheer build quality and interiors and also drivability- even over the accord.
Again, need to know your actual budget to be able to give proper advice
Old 24th August 2010, 23:19   #8
Senior - BHPian

Pure Comfort wise the sonata creams the accord. For everything else accord is miles ahead.
Old 25th August 2010, 07:58   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Another suggestion, Increase the budget a bit and start searching for Embera petrol. Early models can be bought very cheap, it's an infinitely better car than the previous pseudo-Jag Sonata.
Old 25th August 2010, 10:09   #10
Senior - BHPian

Accord eyes closed. Id also say have a re look at Akshay1234's suggestion as there truly are many many Accords V6s in the used market and many are in great condition. You could bag 1 for a good rate, only issue being the V6 had the reputation of being a sort of a gas guzzler.
But again, in exchange for that what you would be getting is an excellent engine and the accord's excellent driving dynamics ( even the present gen accord dosnt have the driving thrill the previous gen had ) & with the sonata, youl b getting a joke of a V6 and high fuel consumption with no great response anyways . Chuck the sonata is what i would say
Old 25th August 2010, 12:40   #11
Senior - BHPian

What about Skoda Superb (old shape)?
Why ain't anybody recommending that?

I remember the petrol version having 190BHP on the foot! ... and it used to look hefty and muscular like "Octavia on steroids" - not flimsy and girly like the new Superb.
Old 25th August 2010, 13:08   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
What about Skoda Superb (old shape)?
Why ain't anybody recommending that?

I remember the petrol version having 190BHP on the foot! ... and it used to look hefty and muscular like "Octavia on steroids" - not flimsy and girly like the new Superb.
Bingo.
That's what I said in my post up there...
Old 25th August 2010, 13:33   #13
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Neither

Since you are talking about the 2.3 Accord (upto 2002 and mid 2003 model year) and not the 2.4 Accord - post 2004 model year

You could get a 2.4 accord 2004 year for as less as Rs. 5L - and it would be more reliable, and easier to maintain than the 2.3 Accord and the Sonata.

You could get a Sonata Embera - not as great looking as the Accord or the Jaguar type Sonata gold V6, but very comfy, and more reliable and would be easier to maintain.

Would not recoment that old a Super due to maintenance issues.

If the Sonata V6 is in perfect condition you could go for it, as it apeal to the heart in many ways for the shape and power, but do remember that if something major goes wrong they you need to write-off the car - dont go beyond 3L for that or the 2.3 Accord.

Try to stretch to 5L and get the 2.4 Accord.
Old 25th August 2010, 17:35   #14
Senior - BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : SMS / Slang language posts are strictly prohibited on Team-BHP. We advise you to visit our board rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 26th August 2010 at 15:41.
PlatzdaTurbo is offline   Received Infraction
Old 25th August 2010, 18:01   #15
Senior - BHPian

Stay away from the old superb.People have hard time digesting a new superb.Leave alone the old.I ve had that car for 3 years.Loved it to bits and in my opinion looked far better than the current model.However it was only good on days it would work like a compete car .I am talking about the diesel here. Pick up the accord for a tension free experience although i would personally recommend the sonata embera.The embera is even more comfortable than the old sonata gold.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks