Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2005, 23:25   #1
BHPian

Ford fiesta or Viva CRDi

Hi all, I am a new member and looking for a diesel car for myself. Budget is 7-8.25 lacs. Minimum per day drive is 60 km in semi highway routes. Priority is FE, comfort and low maintenance. I found fiesta and Hyundai viva crdi good on all the attributes. What do you guys think ? For fiesta my only worry is whether the figure of 23 KM with a/c in city for diesel version is true or not. This is being advertised by the Ford dealer here. For Crdi are they coming out with a new model as viva is there for quite sometime. Please also specify if any other diesel car available within the range but no Indigo please.
[SIZE=2]Kash[/SIZE]

Last edited by kashd : 6th December 2005 at 23:27.
Old 6th December 2005, 23:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

Those FE figures cannot be true...expect 12-14kmpl (city) and around 17-18kmpl (highway).

The CRDi will be more fun to drive though i've heard the fiesta diesel is pretty quite for a diesel, the CRDi can be bit noisy atleast during cold early morning starts. Refinement is a bit lacking because the CRDi unit is a 3 cylinder...but the punch it delivers is just awesome.

The accent's back seat can be a bit uncomfortable on long journeys...i've heard the fiesta scores greatly in this regard.

See if you can get an elantra CRDi...thats got even more power and all the goodies and that unit is much more refined than the accent's. These days they are going off with huge discounts...so if you could stretch your budget a bit, bargain hard and get yourself an Elantra CRDi.

Hyundai after sales service is damn good...i own a CRDi and havent had any issues whatsoever in 55000kms of driving.

From the fiesta and the viva...i'd still take the viva.

Drifter
Old 7th December 2005, 00:00   #3
BHPian

Elantra crdi is good but its way beyond my budget. Thanks anyway for your comments. But I feel that as viva is there for couple of years it is time that hyundai will get it replaced in 2006. If that happens then the resale worth of viva will go down drastically. Also FE of viva is much lower though i must say the performance is extremely good
Old 7th December 2005, 00:09   #4
Senior - BHPian

FE is as good as the fiesta if not better...i get around 11kmpl (AC) in city with a lot of spirited driving. 18kmpl (AC) on the highway.

I have fatter rubber installed...the company provided bridgestones were pathetic in grip. With the stock tyres i used to get around 13-14kmpl in city with AC.

From what i've heard is that the new accent will be sold along side the existing accent (with a different name). Can anyone confirm this?

Drifter

Last edited by drifter : 7th December 2005 at 00:12.
Old 7th December 2005, 00:16   #5
Senior - BHPian

Well Kashd, get Fiesta for a change Be the first one to get it here at tbhp.

Did you ride both cars? 24kmpl FE is just marketing. maybe 15-18 at max. I liked the car but didnt drive it. Stand out, get Fiesta

Mods... can we have a poll too for this?

Last edited by jkdas : 7th December 2005 at 00:18.
Old 7th December 2005, 00:25   #6
BHPian

I'd get the Fiesta, never mind the claimed FE figures. Unless you're one of those people who would put performance on the top of your list, which then swings the Accent CRDi your way.
Old 7th December 2005, 03:20   #7
Senior - BHPian

What I always believe is.

If the cars fall in the same price band and segment then dont chooose according to the offers and deals. Those deals wont cover up when you drive the car for the next 5 years or more.

among the fiesta and accent you select which you find more comfortable and beautiful. Forget sales and service and spares as accent already is and fiesta is going to be the main target audience car.

decide on which car you would want to keep for more than 5 years.
Old 7th December 2005, 11:29   #8
BHPian

23kmpl with a/c on in city is ridiculous.
Unless you are driving in a curfew at 40kph !

Anyways Fiesta is a nice modern sedan and since FE is your main criteria 9sicne you drive a lot) I would suggest the Fiesta. Its also a thing that there are none on the roads right now.

Performance of Viva CRDi is much better and I am kinda partial to the bright red colour and the Viva's notchback looks so I would go for that one given a choice but looking at your requirements I think Fiesta should be fine.
Old 7th December 2005, 11:37   #9
Senior - BHPian

Fiesta has better interiors
But Fiesta is down on power.
Accent has 3 pot cylinder and hence its rough

If comfort comes ahead of Performance then its Fiesta
If Performance comes ahead of comfort then its Accent
Old 7th December 2005, 12:03   #10
Senior - BHPian

I wonder how the demand for Fiesta will impact the attitude of Ford dealers. Will they also go the way of Maruti dealers when Swift was launched?
Old 7th December 2005, 12:38   #11
Team-BHP Support

Avoid the Viva crdi yet. the new Accent is due anytime soon. Maybe as early as 2006 feb because many new accents have been caught testing on camera. About the side by side sales, this is just a rumour. to sell the new accent along with the new one, they will have to price it 1-1.5L above the current one. This will take it into NHC territory.

If you can wait, defer your decision till the new hyundai comes out, or get the fiesta. But be warned this is no rocket like the accent crdi. Its as fast as the indigo diesel. Another car or rather minivan which suits your need is Innova diesel. The version with power windows costs 7.85 ex showroom. But then its a MuV and not a car.
Old 7th December 2005, 12:48   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
Avoid the Viva crdi yet. the new Accent is due anytime soon. Maybe as early as 2006 feb because many new accents have been caught testing on camera. About the side by side sales, this is just a rumour. to sell the new accent along with the new one, they will have to price it 1-1.5L above the current one. This will take it into NHC territory.

If you can wait, defer your decision till the new hyundai comes out, or get the fiesta. But be warned this is no rocket like the accent crdi. Its as fast as the indigo diesel. Another car or rather minivan which suits your need is Innova diesel. The version with power windows costs 7.85 ex showroom. But then its a MuV and not a car.
Indigo in the league of Accent crdi? Bitte!
Old 7th December 2005, 14:21   #13
Team-BHP Support

Nope, I said that Ford fiesta pickup is same as Indigo pickup(Similar Power to weight ratios). Accent crdi is altogether a different league
Old 7th December 2005, 15:01   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Some great suggestions have been made out here, specifically the ones that hint at waiting for the New Accent which is just around the corner and to contemplate the Elantra.

Between the current Accent and the Fiesta - The Ford wins hands down in each and every department except for a outright 0 - 100. My pick would be the Ford.

If you are ready to wait for the new Accent...only time will tell which is the better of the two.

GTO
Old 7th December 2005, 16:12   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Between the current Accent and the Fiesta - The Ford wins hands down in each and every department except for a outright 0 - 100. My pick would be the Ford.
Spot on GTO. I don't like diesels but the 1.4 Fiesta had impressed me. It's incredibly quiet for a diesel and seems to have amazing city driveability with loads of torque. Not to mention that in every other department ride,comfort,looks, handling,interiors, AC etc it knock out the Accent flat.It should also deliver awesome FE figures.

Quote:
Priority is FE, comfort and low maintenance
Outright performance does not seem to be your priority also.
Maybe it's time we get out of the maze of the spec figures. Why don't you go ahead and drive the Diesel Fiesta. You'll love it.As a complete package it's a very pragmatic choice - go for it!

Last edited by imjimmy : 7th December 2005 at 16:16.

Most Viewed