Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2006, 12:47   #16
Senior - BHPian

I agree with the last post. I dont think the Honda would make a good highway cruiser. I would recommend the Octavia and the Elantra (in that order). And I don't think you should neglect the diesels.
Old 21st March 2006, 14:43   #17
BANNED

go for the i.8 tpi rider.. its a crazy *** wolf in sheeps clothing
Old 21st March 2006, 15:02   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677
For Highway driving, honda is not a good car.

Honda focuses on Performance and refinement, but are generally poor in highspeed handling and stability. The problem effects their entire range from City - Civic - Accord.
I wouldnt call a Honda "poor" in highspeed handling - tell me, have you ever gone on the highway with an Accord, or an OHC. They do a very decent job of handling and ride quality, better than some cars in their segments. They might not be built heavily, but they feel very stable and confident at high speeds.
Even the NHC has improved a lot in this regards. Drive one at 120 kmph (fast enough for cruising on most indian highways) and you will know.

Quote:
Also you may not enjoy driving due to low torque on current generation Honda cars, and I am sure it will be further detuned to suit fuel efficiency driven Indian consumers...

BHP = Top Speed
Torque = how fast you can reach that top speed (for same gear ratios)
That holds true only for NHC iDSI, which a small segment of current gen Honda cars. And even that has very good low-end torque for driving in the city.
Just check out the OHC VTEC (or even the NHC VTEC), and you'll know how "de-tuned" these cars are for indian customers. That is one of the benchmarks for "enjoyable driving".

Quote:
Also for highway you need more focus on high speed Active and Passive safety features. Honda lacks on both accounts...
Only on the NHC, the Accord has ABS + EBD, with airbags, and the same is expected for the Civic. In fact, all safety features that the competition has - what more do you want ?
Old 21st March 2006, 15:11   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldie_malhotra
I wouldnt call a Honda "poor" in highspeed handling - tell me, have you ever gone on the highway with an Accord, or an OHC. They do a very decent job of handling and ride quality, better than some cars in their segments.
Not the Civic that immediately preceded the new one, let me assure you. It was scary at anything over 140, engine noise was pronounced and the suspension amplifies every little irregularity on the road. Overall a VERY poor highway drive.
Old 21st March 2006, 15:23   #20
BHPian

wait for the new CIVIC. Take a test drive and then proceed.
Don't expect it to have the same build quality as a Skoda, but yes, on par with the corolla...after driving any american and european car, chances are any japanese build car feels flimsy and unstable.
Old 21st March 2006, 15:31   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Not the Civic that immediately preceded the new one, let me assure you. It was scary at anything over 140, engine noise was pronounced and the suspension amplifies every little irregularity on the road. Overall a VERY poor highway drive.
I would not know about that one - but it has been corrected in the 2006 model - or so Honda claims.
Old 21st March 2006, 21:50   #22
Senior - BHPian

The new civic has had many major modifications along with looks. Yes highway stability has been improved a lot. From that nervous scary handling which plagued the old civic the new one has come a long way.

But so has competition. hence I would rate civics highways capabilities as ordinarily good but not excellent or distinctive.

[quote=CaliforniaKnight] after driving any american and european car, chances are any japanese build car feels flimsy and unstable.[quote]

Japanese companies have come a long way in building more than just good engines. While US cars have come a long way too without developing anything great. I would say Japanese cars these days are better built than European cars. European cars though are still leagues ahead.

Stability on the highways is a different issue though and Japanese still lack behind the Americans and the Europeans which rule in this department.
Old 22nd March 2006, 02:20   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijitaparadh
My budget is around 10-12 lakhs. My driving is about 1000 km a month and mostly on highways. I dont like diesels that much simply because they are not as quiet as petrols.

Priorities while buying a new car:
1) Performance
2) Driving comfort
3) Ability to cruise on highways at high speeds (IMO Ikon is not a great cruiser although it has an amazing pickup and handling)
4) Adequate safety features.
5) Fuel efficiency (Ikon disappoints majorly here but that disapointment is offset by exceptional driving pleasure that it offers )

I had considered Octavia 1.8 TPI rider as well as Corolla. I didn't like Octy's looks that much although it has a great build quality where as Corolla disappoints in build quality department.

Recent ACI issue has an article regarding new Honda Civic. I quite like that car's looks as well as power also seems to be good. I dont mind waiting for 6-8 months before buying new car.

Any thoughts regarding which car to go for ?
Buddy ,since you mostly drive on highwayz , i suggest you close your eyes and go for the Octavia and as you mentioned fuel efficiency to be one of your deciding factors ,go for the diesel 1.9 tdi ..

Drive the octavia 1.9 tdi or the Hyundai elantra Crdi and your thoughts about diesel cars 'll change in just a mere few seconds ..

The ONLY thing against the Octavia is the rear seat .. If you are OK with it ,dont look further ..

P.S It may be old in design but pal take my word ,once you drive the above ,you ll never look back and buy those Japenese machines(no offence to the current honda owners ,though) .. I am not saying honda doent make good cars but its just that this german enginerring(Skoda/VW) is miles ahead than the rest(the indian accords and citys) ..

I bought my first octavia in 2002 and kept it for two years(nearly) and had the best time of my life and i was so convinced that even after 4 years i am on my way to buy the same car again ...
I had never ever thought/imagined i would buy the same car again(let it be any car ,espically when i had kept it for 2 years) but what to do !! cos IMHO Its still the best and miles ahead than the competition (diesels and petrol ,both) and i still dont see any car in the near future coming and threatning Octavia(and i am not talking about the sales .. we all know any car with a Honda badge 'll sell here,irrespective of its quality ...

Quote:
For Highway driving, honda is not a good car.

Honda focuses on Performance and refinement, but are generally poor in highspeed handling and stability. The problem effects their entire range from City - Civic - Accord.

Also you may not enjoy driving due to low torque on current generation Honda cars, and I am sure it will be further detuned to suit fuel efficiency driven Indian consumers...

BHP = Top Speed
Torque = how fast you can reach that top speed (for same gear ratios)

Also for highway you need more focus on high speed Active and Passive safety features. Honda lacks on both accounts...

Don;t get me wrong, I have just recommended HOnda City ZX to my uncle, but that is primarily limited for City Driving.
But for HIghway driving honda City/CIVIC/Accord is a NO NO.
OT :Cant put it better .. i totally agree word for word and for this reason alone i would never ever like to buy a Honda but having said that ,if we look at the broader picture ,i find the Accord as a sheer classy VFM car ..
Old 22nd March 2006, 10:52   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would not know about that one - but it has been corrected in the 2006 model - or so Honda claims.
It would be good if they have corrected this, but I'm not hoping for much as this is pretty much a Honda trait across their range.

An ideal D segment car would be one with the Mondeo's high-speed handling, the new Sonata's comfortable ride and space, the Accord's engine (or better still the Nissan Maxima or Altima!!!), Mazda 6 looks and Passat features.
Old 22nd March 2006, 10:55   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
An ideal D segment car would be one with the Mondeo's high-speed handling, the new Sonata's comfortable ride and space, the Accord's engine (or better still the Nissan Maxima or Altima!!!), Mazda 6 looks and Passat features.
Stop it .. - you have me drooling already

Hope it does not come with the laura's pricing too ...
Old 22nd March 2006, 11:05   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hope it does not come with the laura's pricing too ...
I was thinking more in terms of the Elantra Petrol's new price....notice that I didnt mention Skoda anywhere. Worst case scenario would be a Skoda Rider pricing.

Last edited by Steeroid : 22nd March 2006 at 11:09.
Old 22nd March 2006, 11:57   #27
Senior - BHPian

Hi Goldie_Malhotra
I have been closely following Honda launches, specifically Honda Civic.
My comments are based on ample reviews which are available (in markets where Civic is already launched) and my own experience where I have driven both new Honda Civic & Accord in US recently.

The cars are good and are excellent deal for driving within the city, but that;s it, I would not be too comfortable to take these cars out on highways and do anything above 120-130. Irrespective of Honda's claim, there is no major improvements in highspeed handling of Civic.

Let's not talk about the OHC, that's past. Don;t expect anything similar from Honda in near future. Any OHC fan would not get that thrill in any of the new generation Honda cars. Where only you can get it now indeed is the Octavia 1.8Turbo petrol/RS. It takes the game ahead from where Honda left, in terms of performance. In terms of build quality, safety and ride, it is any way miles ahead.

Accord might have ABS and EBD, but that is minimalistic safety on that range car. Even Elantra would beat an Accord hands down in that department.

I would second the opinion on Octavia. It is the best car designed around the driver available in India at reasonable prices. Both Petrol and Diesel are good. Though if you can spare some extra dough Laura will be the ultimate choice with 2.0 TDI as and when it comes, and a tuning box...
Tonnes of BHP, Torque, Comfort, Safety, and yes cash too :(
Old 3rd February 2009, 22:23   #28

Best car in budget of Rs.10-14 lacs

I am having 5 yr old Skoda at present, want to replace. Considering Skoda, Toyota Altis and Honda Civic Hybrid. I have a driver, car runs about 2000-2500 kms. p.m. on an average. Rear seat comfort, Fuel efficiency and maintenance are my preferred considerations amongst others. Am open to 1-2 year used car also which may bring Skoda Laura within budget. Wud appreciate comments from experts to help me make choice.
Old 4th February 2009, 00:27   #29
BHPian

if the car is driver driven and rear seat comfort is important than laura is out the rear seat is horrible
for your running 2000-2500 kms per month and comfort and low maintainence i would reccomend the optra magnum tcdi lt model its has everything power comfort diesel economy and low maintainence

Last edited by dockap : 4th February 2009 at 00:28.
Old 4th February 2009, 00:48   #30
BHPian

Since you are open for second hand cars, try and source a Skoda Superb - it cant get better than that for rear seat comfort! and if you manage to find the diesel V6 (its v rare to find one) - you will definitely enjoy the drives as well. It should be available in your budget.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks