Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2010, 11:43   #1
BHPian

Best RWD used car

Folks,

Planning to buy an RWD used car. Primary purpose is for drifting. Any suggestions?

I can only think of the Contessa and a W124 but they are quite hard to find.

Note: Mods, kindly move this thread if this is in the wrong place.
Old 3rd December 2010, 12:18   #2
BHPian

I would like to add the Standard 2000 a.k.a Rover SD1. It was a great looking car styled on the lines of classic Ferraris but then it was overpriced and naver caught on. However, it is much rarer than either of the cars you mentioned above.

Edit : One suggestion. If you can, try and import Nissan Silvias from Japan. They are available at throw away prices (Ive seen an example for Rs 100,000). Spares will be difficult to procure but for drifting, its got to be the Silvia.

Last edited by designersf : 3rd December 2010 at 12:20.
Old 3rd December 2010, 18:01   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by designersf View Post
One suggestion. If you can, try and import Nissan Silvias from Japan. They are available at throw away prices (Ive seen an example for Rs 100,000). Spares will be difficult to procure but for drifting, its got to be the Silvia.
Buddy, do you have any odea how much red tape is involved in importing a car into India, not to mention duty.

Nope, Indian car for me, and a better suggestion than Standard 2000 would be helpful
Old 3rd December 2010, 18:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by good.car-ma View Post
Buddy, do you have any odea how much red tape is involved in importing a car into India, not to mention duty.

Nope, Indian car for me, and a better suggestion than Standard 2000 would be helpful
Perhaps a used BMW - E36 if yo can find one ?

Contessa Petrol is however fits your bill perfectly.
Old 3rd December 2010, 19:01   #5
BHPian

A petrol Contessa seems like your best bet. I'm sure you won't mind getting a car from another state. See websites like Gaadi.com. They always have a few contessa's listed in the south of India.

And you cannot import a used car older than 2 years into India.

And you also should mention how much you are looking to spend!
Old 4th December 2010, 14:59   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

What's your maximum budget? If you are looking at something cheap and a whole lot of fun, can't beat the Padmini. I can assure you that a modified Padmini (due to its lighter weight & compact dimensions) will be a lot more fun to swing than a Contessa. Another option for cheap + fun = Omni.

Also, Contessas & W124s are actually very easy to find. You can get good running Contis for 50,000, and E220s for 2.5 lakhs.
Old 4th December 2010, 15:29   #7
Senior - BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : One-liners that add ZERO value to the thread are strictly prohibited on Team-BHP. In fact, they are considered as SPAM. Please do not hit the post submit button unless you have something of value to add to the thread.

We advise you to visit our board rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 5th December 2010 at 13:11.
xingamazon is offline   Received Infraction
Old 4th December 2010, 15:39   #8
BHPian

speaking of contessa and padmini. Altough you may be able to drift it by pulling the handbreak, but you won`t be able to sustain a long drift since these cars do not have powerfull, high revving engines and torque. The pop clutch technique is not possible on such cars.

Also, if your are still looking for RWD indian models, then try sierra too. Very cheap and easy to find, fun to drift. Have done it myself since i own one. But, since its a SUV kind of car, has got a lot of body roll and can topple. SO, better do it on loose surface.
Old 4th December 2010, 17:12   #9
Senior - BHPian

Please mention your budget

a contessa can be bought for about 50k but maintaining it and making it ready for action will take another 1 lac contessa spares are rear and expensive
Old 4th December 2010, 21:38   #10
BHPian

Which track will you be going to for your drifting sessions? I hope you don't belong to that category of irresponsible people who drift and drag on public roads.

However if you do have access to a track or a private road, a premier padmini is a great car to start with. You'll get it dirt cheap, it will be a hoot to drift and once you have mastered the art of drifting, you can always graduate to a w124 or an older bimmer.

Last edited by Astleviz : 4th December 2010 at 21:44.
Old 6th December 2010, 11:34   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
A petrol Contessa seems like your best bet. I'm sure you won't mind getting a car from another state. See websites like Gaadi.com. They always have a few contessa's listed in the south of India.

And you cannot import a used car older than 2 years into India.

And you also should mention how much you are looking to spend!
This was i exactly thought of,FIAT Padmini is the best low cost car and next best would be contessa.

BTW how about 118NE? Peugeot 3099 dont know if its RWD?

Also why not NANO

Last edited by joshguy : 6th December 2010 at 11:38.
Old 7th December 2010, 11:02   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astleviz View Post
Which track will you be going to for your drifting sessions? I hope you don't belong to that category of irresponsible people who drift and drag on public roads.

However if you do have access to a track or a private road, a premier padmini is a great car to start with. You'll get it dirt cheap, it will be a hoot to drift and once you have mastered the art of drifting, you can always graduate to a w124 or an older bimmer.
Absolutely not! I have access to private roads where there is no danger to anyone. Safety is the first priority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
This was i exactly thought of,FIAT Padmini is the best low cost car and next best would be contessa.

BTW how about 118NE? Peugeot 3099 dont know if its RWD?

Also why not NANO
Leaning towards Padmini. Nano i tried doesnt move, forget drift
Old 7th December 2010, 11:15   #13
BHPian

Another RWD but a rare breed would be the Sipani Dolphin.
Old 7th December 2010, 15:04   #14
BHPian

A 20,000 bucks padmini will drift out of the box, no mods required and if the tyres are worn out slightly (which most probably will be), it will be the most fun you could have for that kind of money. Happy drifting!
Old 26th December 2010, 00:01   #15
BHPian

Re: Best RWD used car

how about going for a tata estate. It is a RWD car.
And also have low profile which will also be helpful while drifting .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks