Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2011, 14:24   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Safest car under 20L?

If I were you, I'd wait for the 'new' Jetta. VWs will always have a stronger case than Skodas. Since the current gen Jetta is on its way out, you should try and get a the newer gen.
Old 12th January 2011, 15:36   #17
Senior - BHPian

A VW Passat might be a good option. With the new model round the corner, the old one should be selling with massive discounts soon, if not already.
Old 18th January 2011, 10:26   #18
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi!

My recomendation:

Most of the discussion has centred around Skoda, VW and Honda.

I think 6 Airbags and good braking is a must - so the Fortuner goes out of the window?

Actually a Superb would be ideal but seems to exceed the budget.

Laura - used L&K will be a real good option and well priced. (The PD is not as noisey inside as reported. - test drive and decide.)

If you did not have an issue with sitting high then Aria should have been in contention.

Between the Accord and the Superb - the Superb seems to be a safer bet.

A new Yeti should also be checked out at your end.

I guess a Corolla Altis also deserves a check as does a Cruz - but the indian Cruz does not have the 6 airbags bit.

AT and builtin bluetooth makes cars safer to drive so will recommend that you keep an eye on that as well.

Jetta is a no no in view compared to the Laura presently. The Laura TSI is indeed bare bones, but then there is the CRDI 2.0 Diesel AT for you to consider.

If you are lookin at used then a CRV AT (present new shape) would be nice to have I guess with a reasonably large size for safety and car like drive that is not too high plus AT for safer and less stressed out driving.
Old 20th January 2011, 12:00   #19
Senior - BHPian

A lot of accidents on highways occur due to liberties taken by other road users with your vehicle. A commanding presence acts as a passive safety device!

In the above context, I feel that an SUV is a safer option in Indian. Most motorists to not mess with SUV and you will be spared a lot of heartburn due to the "kisses" that others give to you. This has a side benefit in that the other vehicles would not be rash around you, making you safer.

In a frontal crash an SUV will fare much better. So I vote for either Yeti or Fortuner (in spite of your reluctance), though my all time favourite is still the Pajero which has every thing you want, except highway speed and BS-IV.
Old 8th February 2011, 15:37   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Jetta is a no no in view compared to the Laura presently
Can you please add some points to the view. Why you feel Jetta cannot be compared to the present Laura?

Quote:
I feel that an SUV is a safer option in Indian
Safety is not decided just based on the size of a car or the cars presence. I have to disagree here that SUV are safer in India. Infact in highways i would prefer a Sedan over the SUV.
Old 8th February 2011, 16:24   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Safety is not decided just based on the size of a car or the cars presence. I have to disagree here that SUV are safer in India. Infact in highways i would prefer a Sedan over the SUV.
If you are considering post crash survival, then yes. But accidents are not caused only by you, others are involved in the process. Let me explain.

1. Many accidents occur when other road users take liberty with your vehicle - step in front, weave vehicles around yours, or try to ease you out of a narrow carriageway. All these are taken care of with a larger presence.

2. Safety in a Crash comes from the body shell design and safety gadgets - seat belts & air bags, ABS. Here large sedans in top trim score over low end SUV. Saw an episode of crash test between a modern MPV and an older SUV. In a head on crash, the passenger cabin of MPV was unscathed, while that of SUV suffered a lot of damage.

3. Accidents due to break down. Here the vehicles mechanical robustness plays a part. In most cases the mechanicals of SUV are more rugged, hence less prone to catastrophic failure on the road. With more and more electronics creeping into modern vehicles, especially high end sedans, any failure of electronics in a critical part at the wrong time may lead to serious accidents. The Japanese vehicle electronics is more robust compared to European ones (based on the failure reports by fellow forum members).

In my observation having a "larger" presence, less liberties are taken with SUV so they are involved in less accidents. Here a small car is the most vulnerable as every other road user just rides rough shod over them.

I hope I have made my point clear.
Old 8th February 2011, 19:40   #22
BHPian

If Aria can be called a car and it fits your bill then it is a good option.ABS,8 airbags,traction control etc and a well formed frame and chassis.The interiors are pretty good and has a lot of useful features as well.But i dunno about the brand image it would carry but if you like the car nothing like it.
Old 8th February 2011, 20:07   #23
Senior - BHPian

@Freewheelburnin

Aria with the above mentioned package comes to around 18.5L on road(Chennai). I would stretch my budget and get the Fortuner if i am looking into SUV/MUV segment. Fortuner has better engine, better service record and its a TOYOTA.

But at this price point a sedan will offer better safety package overall compared to a SUV and a diesel engine at this price point returns far better fuel economy compared to an SUV.

@Aroy
Quote:
I hope I have made my point clear.
The same applies to SUV in highway. In highway anything smaller than a Lorry or a volvo bus has the same safety concerns. Also driving a car like laura @ 100 is perfectly safe in the highway. The breaking will be excellent and the control the car provides to the driver is far better. Personally at around 100kmph the SUV/MUV start to show signs of instability including body roll. Its again a personal opinion. In highways we are not travelling at 60kmph but atleast over 100 kmph. At that speed a sedan will provide far better stability, safety and control compared to an SUV.

May be Hummer is an exception
Old 9th February 2011, 11:40   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
The same applies to SUV in highway. In highway anything smaller than a Lorry or a volvo bus has the same safety concerns. Also driving a car like laura @ 100 is perfectly safe in the highway. The breaking will be excellent and the control the car provides to the driver is far better. Personally at around 100kmph the SUV/MUV start to show signs of instability including body roll. Its again a personal opinion. In highways we are not travelling at 60kmph but atleast over 100 kmph. At that speed a sedan will provide far better stability, safety and control compared to an SUV.

May be Hummer is an exception
All things being equal, a modern sedan in high trim variant is very safe, but then so are the high end SUV.

Yes SUV, at least the low cost ones are a bit of a problem beyond 100, especially on a weaving road, but what with cows, buffaloes and villagers jay walking, highways are way too dangerous above 100 in most parts of Northern India. Things get better at night, but that poses other problems. If you have had experience of a tractor just appearing across the road all of a sudden you will know what I am referring too.

On wide open stretches away from civilisation, the sedan has an edge, but in a crowded highway with villages every 2-5km the SUV has its advantages.
Old 9th February 2011, 14:14   #25
BANNED

Two things which have become very evident in today's scenario.

1. If the roads are not very bad (remember, a TBHP Laura has been Tawang and back), a decently high sedan is the best automobile to be in. They handle better, are safer on their own when it comes to features, handling, they are subjected to comprehensive crash tests and moreover, are enjoyable to drive.

2. An SUV makes sense in the cities for the passive sense of safety and due to the fact that buses, trucks, cabs etc do not mess with them. Also, they offer more seats and space than a sedan.

If I were primarily a city and highway user, I would go for the new Laura with DSG in its diesel form.
Old 9th February 2011, 14:27   #26
Senior - BHPian

although i20 comes under the <10 lac bracket. It is still one of the safest cars available in India.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks