Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2011, 09:34   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
To get an approximate idea check ACC website

ACC Help - Calculators - Cost Calculator
Thanks, but this calculator is for full house and not for makeover of one section.
Old 15th December 2011, 14:56   #32
BHPian

Need help folks.

My moms house in Chennai is over 33 years old, and is located in Villivakkam. Over the years, the area developed by leaps and bounds, especially the road height.

The house now sits almost at the road level, and a decent rain helped by the ever-blocked storm water drain; forces the road water into the house. This problem surfaced during 2005 rains and has been continuing, with two incidents in the current year.

We have plugged almost all holes around the house and water enters only via the kitchen sink outlet and front, rear doors (lavatory never overflowed). With raising the floor level out of the equation, Ive been trying to look at other solution(s) that will prevent water from invading the house during rains.

Googling came up with the following solutions:
(a) Flood barrier for doors
(b) Backflow prevention valve for any water outlets/ inlets

I tried speaking to a number of custom door providers in Chennai and almost none of them had any idea and willingess to work on a flood barrier. It pains when my mom gives me the hopeless, helpless expression, when it rains.

Can You guys please help with solutions (this and/ or any other).

Thanks.
Old 15th December 2011, 15:49   #33
BHPian

Hi all,

I'm planning to construct a second sump in my home as my first sump is very small and less in capacity and seriously shortage of water. However, i cannot extend the first sump due to space problems. There is another space in my home where we can construct a second sump, but the problem is that space is less than 5 feet from a coconut tree (30 year old) in my home.

Please enlighten me on how to construct to a sump and precautions to be taken keeping in mind the roots of the coconut tree. Any technique that i need to follow(due to tree) will be of immense help.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Regards,
Ramki.
Old 15th December 2011, 16:08   #34
Senior - BHPian

Ramki - Why dont you check ready made tanks? - I remember seeing Sintex ad couple of days back.
Old 15th December 2011, 19:04   #35
BHPian

Thanks Latheesh for the reply. Keeping tanks on ground floor looks odd and my need is to dig a pit like sump into the ground and use the space on top for vehicle parking.

Thanks,
Ramki
Old 15th December 2011, 23:19   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
Thanks Latheesh for the reply. Keeping tanks on ground floor looks odd and my need is to dig a pit like sump into the ground and use the space on top for vehicle parking.

Thanks,
Ramki
Sintex one I mentioned is not the overhead type. They have some new tanks which can be used underground instead of sump. I remember seeing the ad couple of days back.
Old 16th December 2011, 09:32   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Sintex one I mentioned is not the overhead type. They have some new tanks which can be used underground instead of sump. I remember seeing the ad couple of days back.
Oh ok. Will check if it suits my requirement. Thank you.

Rgrds,
Ramki
Old 16th December 2011, 22:06   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
Need help folks.

My moms house in Chennai is over 33 years old, and is located in Villivakkam. Over the years, the area developed by leaps and bounds, especially the road height.

The house now sits almost at the road level, and a decent rain helped by the ever-blocked storm water drain; forces the road water into the house. This problem surfaced during 2005 rains and has been continuing, with two incidents in the current year.
I've heard that there is an option to raise your whole house using jacks and then fill up the space underneath your house with concrete. This is obviously more expensive than the options you are currently exploring and will take more time to complete. But this will raise the level of your house above the new ground level and will avoid flooding for sure.
Old 17th December 2011, 12:26   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Need help folks.

Whats the quantity of water flooding in? If there is enough space around the house, you can consider drilling a couple of rain water pits near the source and direct all the water there.

Regards,
Old 17th December 2011, 14:35   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thangu View Post
I've heard that there is an option to raise your whole house using jacks and then fill up the space underneath your house with concrete. This is obviously more expensive than the options you are currently exploring and will take more time to complete. But this will raise the level of your house above the new ground level and will avoid flooding for sure.
I am not really sure if this feasible in India, and I dont think this is something I would want to explore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
Whats the quantity of water flooding in? If there is enough space around the house, you can consider drilling a couple of rain water pits near the source and direct all the water there.
Regards,
About a foot of water ends up stagnated inside the house. There is a lot of space around the house, for a rain water pit. But will this work given that the ground-water content will be to brim, when water invades. We have a well which sits full during such floods!
Old 19th December 2011, 15:30   #41
BHPian

Quote:
I am not really sure if this feasible in India, and I dont think this is something I would want to explore.
Dont know the details but this was done in some very old house in Kerala during its renovation. A detailed article had appeared in Malayalam Mag 'Veedu' that time
Old 14th March 2012, 22:58   #42
Senior - BHPian

Team - We have a 4800 sq ft plot.

How many flats can be constructed (100 swft biltup area, 900+sqft carpet area). Ground floor is for Car parking.
what is the approx cost of construction per sq ft
Old 14th March 2012, 23:09   #43
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post

Thanks,
Ramki
Consider ferrocement. The walls will be hardly one inch thick. I use it for underground water storage, for close to 20 years now - with trees within 2 to 30 feet.

Installation took hardly 2 hours. Dig, drop down, fill a bit with water, level, pack around with sand, clean the derbis (if any) inside the tank, and you are done.

Not sure if well built ferrocement tanks are available in your city though.

Well built means cast over a proper mould. Not an adhoc mould like they do with RCC slabs.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2012, 00:29   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Team - We have a 4800 sq ft plot.

How many flats can be constructed (100 swft biltup area, 900+sqft carpet area). Ground floor is for Car parking.
what is the approx cost of construction per sq ft
well depends on the plot dimensions , vasthu / no vasthu , site rules regarding setbacks , best would be contact a local architect or a builder
kippu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2012, 12:24   #45
Senior - BHPian

Anyone uses water purification/treatment system for whole house?

Our new house does not have water connection now and have to use water from open well. This water is OK during summer but become muddy during monsoon. So we want to install some purification system for whole house and an additional filter (Kent/Aquaguard) for drinking water.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks