Team-BHP - Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/100713-home-construction-makeover-maintenance-thread.html)

Friends,

Put all your queries here

A friend of a friend wants to add one more floor to an existing, 60 year old, ground floor structure. The existing walls are between 12" to 16" thick brick and roof is concrete. Is it safe? What precautions, if any, should he take?

@guite - More than the wall thickness you should dig a small inspection pit of sorts near the exterior wall and check the state of the foundation. Most buildings if in very good shape can easily take another floor.

Gurgaon Bhpians, please guide. Can you tell me how much approximately it will cost for building a house on a 300 square yard plot with basic fitments read marbles/bathroom fittings etcetera. I mean we don’t want to have imported stuff etc. to be used. Only ground floor is to be built with three bedrooms (bathroom attached), one hall, kitchen and parking space for at least one sedan.

PS – This is just for general idea as we haven’t finalized regarding room size etcetera.

@bluevolt, The building cost should come around 14-16 lac with the basic stuff. I can say this as our house is under construction.
The cost of steel and cement, sand, gravel etc has risen by around 30% in the last year so you may add or subtract a lac or two from the guesstimate. A bag of cement costing Rs.230 last summer, costs about Rs.280-290 today. And the steel prices have also soared.
Civil construction is easier but once you enter the sanitary or electrical fittings store, you are spoilt for choices and you can easily drift out of your budget. Its like the "ICE"-bug. No matter how much you spend, there's always a scope for improvement.:D

I think 14 - 16L is way too less.

It shouldnt be anything less than 30L.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WanderNomad (Post 2340437)
I think 14 - 16L is way too less.

It shouldnt be anything less than 30L.

I think less cost is due to the fact that Gurgaon is in Haryana and Delhi is after all Delhi, the national capital.

Costs are way higher in Delhi.

Dude come and stay in Gurgaon and you will know which is cheaper. Everything is double the price in Gurgaon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WanderNomad (Post 2340525)
Dude come and stay in Gurgaon and you will know which is cheaper. Everything is double the price in Gurgaon.

I am from Gurgaon only. We have houses both in Gurgaon and Delhi. I know about most of the things.

What I meant to say that since we don't have firsthand experience in constructing a house on a plot, I guess may be the material/labor cost is lower than in case of Delhi.

Do you have a plan to construct more floors in the future? If not why dont you think of making Drawing+Dining+Kitchen+1BR in the ground floor and 2 BR in the first.

I do not know the construction cost in your area but I think it is possible for around 20-25 lacs if you plan well.

Check out the porotherm blocks from weiner berger in below link:
www.wienerberger.in

They seem to be cost effective if you can get a good guy to construct using them. Lighter and stronger than conventional bricks.

You can even avoid plastering (atleast outside). I am using it currently and quite nice so far.. :)

what is the cost of 100 sq feet ( 10 X10 ) for medium level quality house construction work in bangalore ? . Full material and labor contract ? . I have heard between 1 lakh to 1.25 lakh per 100 sq feet .

Quote:

Originally Posted by G-BoleroBoy (Post 2340653)
Check out the porotherm blocks from weiner berger in below link:
www.wienerberger.in

They seem to be cost effective if you can get a good guy to construct using them. Lighter and stronger than conventional bricks.

You can even avoid plastering (atleast outside). I am using it currently and quite nice so far.. :)

Boleroboy , these can be used only in Non-load bearing walls only.So you are using RCC pillars and beams to support the structure ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by black12rr (Post 2340751)
what is the cost of 100 sq feet ( 10 X10 ) for medium level quality house construction work in bangalore ? . Full material and labor contract ? . I have heard between 1 lakh to 1.25 lakh per 100 sq feet .

Thats right amount for a Vitrified flooring house to be constructed.
If you go for marble/granite, it would increase to 1.4 lacs approx for 100 sft.
We just completed construction and paid 1.2 lacs/100sft as final amount.
Do let me know if you want any help wrt contractor. I can vouch on my person.

Cheers,
Anup

Quote:

Originally Posted by black12rr (Post 2340751)

I do not know the rate in Bangalore but my friend's house is under construction and he said that 1.2 lakh for decent quality granite floor. You know that granite is cheaper in Bangalore (source it from Jigani).