Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2012, 17:23   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: The right way to play Badminton

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Arre baba, why so serious?
And I'm in Kolkata. Why do you ask?
Na not serious, just saying . Probably felt as you wanted to know the price etc, you might be here and might want to go there and buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
details of the tourney?(venue/date/registration formalities and contact details).
Also where in Bangalore is Decathlon?
The Venue is Sobha Lakeview Clubhouse in Bellandur, the only problem, only residents can register.

Decathlon is on Sarjapur road after you cross Wipro Corporate office and the Railway line.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2012, 05:35   #92
Senior - BHPian

Look what i received in email this morning

We are glad to announce and invite you to participate in our upcoming Inter –corporate Indoor Sports Fiesta to be held during the 3rd and 4th weekends of February at Gopalan Sports Center ,Hood.

Indoor Cricket, Indoor Football, Table Tennis and Badminton are the 4 exciting events to be held during the fours days of sporting action. We look forward for your esteem company team participation for this events and make this a great success. Kindly find the details below.
Attached Thumbnails
The right way to play Badminton-gopalan.jpg  

Old 9th February 2012, 08:57   #93
BHPian

mayankjha1806
thanks for the wonderful thread, very very usefull for beginners like me .
is this a good sport for shedding some flab?? i am overweight by atleast 15 kgs,tried treadmill,diet, elliptical etc etc.now picked up badminton. i lost 3 kgs in two weeks .
anybody's personal experience would be very encouraging!
Old 9th February 2012, 09:04   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Look what i received in email this morning

We are glad to announce and invite you to participate in our upcoming Inter –corporate Indoor Sports Fiesta to be held during the 3rd and 4th weekends of February at Gopalan Sports Center ,Hood.

Indoor Cricket, Indoor Football, Table Tennis and Badminton are the 4 exciting events to be held during the fours days of sporting action. We look forward for your esteem company team participation for this events and make this a great success. Kindly find the details below.
Thanks for sharing Mayank.Look at those fees humongous!Its such a sad trend now that there are hardly any open tournaments held.Tourneys come with so many conditions now a days(corporate,interclub etc etc)
Old 9th February 2012, 11:00   #95
Senior - BHPian

Thanks, and welcome to the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbabuanand View Post
is this a good sport for shedding some flab?? i am overweight by atleast 15 kgs,tried treadmill,diet, elliptical etc etc.now picked up badminton.
That question is difficult to answer as my objective of starting this game was never to loose weight, so i have not lost any weight, i do have lost some flab around waist and has made me a better mover, and enormous increase in stamina. Other in my group have lost ~10Kms over few months. BTW Treadmill and diet control are never a permanent solution, glad you have figured this out.

Quote:
i lost 3 kgs in two weeks.Anybody's personal experience would be very encouraging!
If you are over weight, doing a bit of gym will help in badminton.
Old 10th February 2012, 09:27   #96
BHPian

@ mayankjha1806 _ Thanks for starting the wonderful thread.

Quote:
mayankjha1806
thanks for the wonderful thread, very very usefull for beginners like me .
is this a good sport for shedding some flab?? i am overweight by atleast 15 kgs,tried treadmill,diet, elliptical etc etc.now picked up badminton. i lost 3 kgs in two weeks .
anybody's personal experience would be very encouraging!
Nice to know that your seeing positive results. Yes it is an excellent cardio exercise as the directional changes is kind of an intense work out.

The only recommendation is to do some strengthening exercise for muscles so that they bear the impact and stress from the game. This also prevents injury.

Some good exercises (for lower body) would be

1. Seated cable row - Stronger mid riff
2. Leg raise - For stronger thighs which is needed for over head shots
3. Leg Press - For glute strength
4. Hamstring Curl -For stronger hamstrings

Good exercises for Upper body

1. Bicep Curl
2. Inclined dumb bell press
3. Push up
4. Lifting barbel
5. Wrist strengthening

Some videos that i would like to share

Hope this helps the other guys too
Old 11th February 2012, 13:24   #97
BHPian

ranjitp1,mayankjha1806,csateesh- thanks for the valuble inputs.

after playing the game for the past 25 days without a break(2 hours daily, mostly doubles) i have noticed pain along lateral aspect of the rt knee joint.the pain has worsened day by day and i had to skip 2 days of play. the pain was aggravated when i put on my weight on that knee during movement. i am a physician myself and i guess i am suffering from a meniscal strain or a tear.

guys , has anyone of you come across the same situation.

this whole situation could have been avoided if i had read this thread before
Old 11th February 2012, 18:48   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i have noticed pain along lateral aspect of the rt knee joint.the pain has worsened day by day and i had to skip 2 days of play.
I have personally dealt with most of the pain that one would get while playing badminton. Every part of my body, each of the joints have pained heavily in the past, and trust me doctors other then giving pain killers or suggesting stop playing haven't been able to help.

My theory is, each body is different and one needs to mold his/her game according to the ability of his/her body, and trust me this does not mean not pushing your body enough, it just means pushing your body differently.

Few questions/pointers, although i have mentioned this before, doing it again

1. I am assuming you are playing on wooden or synthetic court, if not and its a concrete court, please stop playing at once.
2. Are you wearing right shoes meant for badminton, does it have enough cushion.
3. If all the above are true then you are possibly stamping your foot down, sending shock waves through your feet upto your knees, causing pain. When you run on the court you need to glide, the movement needs to be smooth, and without any jerks.

Once you confirm my questions above, and change the playing style a little the repetitive pain should be take care off, then you know better then me how to focus on strengthening exercises for the knee.
Old 11th February 2012, 22:36   #99
BHPian

thanks mayankjha
question no 1- yes it is a synthetic court
2- yet to get a proper shoe.right now i am using reebok running shoes.will switch over soon
3- my movement around the court is jerky,will need some time for correcting this.

what is your opinion about a knee brace while playing.seen many people wearing that while playing.please share your experince
Old 12th February 2012, 22:34   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
3- my movement around the court is jerky,will need some time for correcting this. What is your opinion about a knee brace while playing.
I guess i question was more to do with, are you stamping your foot on the floor? If yes this is easy to overcome and fix, just stop stamping. This usually happens when you run on the court, ideally in ~90% of the cases you should not run on the court, the legs move like scissors. Maybe, this one needs a video .

You could try them, i did that few years ago before i discovered the solution of the problem. This could be used as a short term fix, and its never a long term solution. So do use them, but keep searching for the long term solution.
Old 13th February 2012, 12:09   #101
BHPian

Quote:
ranjitp1,mayankjha1806,csateesh- thanks for the valuble inputs.

after playing the game for the past 25 days without a break(2 hours daily, mostly doubles) i have noticed pain along lateral aspect of the rt knee joint.the pain has worsened day by day and i had to skip 2 days of play. the pain was aggravated when i put on my weight on that knee during movement. i am a physician myself and i guess i am suffering from a meniscal strain or a tear.

guys , has anyone of you come across the same situation.

this whole situation could have been avoided if i had read this thread before
Given that you are a physician you should have stopped at the first signs of pain.

But since you have gone ahead I would suggest the following

1. Take it easy for the next few weeks - Let the pain subside
2. In the meantime try to work on your muscles to improve their strength. Currently they aren't too strong and hence the pain.. (I guess you know this already)

Try the following exercises Set 1 or Set 2

And never ever take pain killer as this only masks the pain and causes more damage.

Sorry if I sounded like

HTH

Sateesh
csateesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2012, 08:52   #102
BHPian

mayankjha1806
yes i do stomp the floor. of course an video will be very helpful.
got a pair of yonex ergoshape shoes.hope this will reduce the pain.
this game is addictive ,finding it hard to resist playing!
when you got this pain did you stop playing?
csateesh
got your point about pain killers.
thanks for the exercise tips.
Old 14th February 2012, 12:49   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes i do stomp the floor, Got a pair of yonex ergoshape shoes. Hope this will reduce the pain. When you got this pain did you stop playing?
Stomping is a usual response to running, so if you are running you would stomp to stop, if thats true then do not run. Look at Peters Video on footwork on this thread (Post number 29), that might help. More then the shoes or extra Cushioning inside (Which i use) the footwork will help.

In last 3 years apart from when i am traveling (or my morning playmates are traveling) i have never stopped playing because of pain, with only one exception (2 days break), because of elbow pain. In total ~20 days i might not have played, but this does not mean you should not. You know your body better then anyone else, even better then a doctor and are best placed to judge when to stop and when not to stop.

I have had pain in my toes, ankles, knees, thigh's, shoulder, and elbow, the only time i have used additional support is when i had elbow pain, but that is not to say you shouldn't, please use them if they help, but change the game/equipment to eradicate the pain and remove the additional support.

Now its my turn to ask for a help, for a pain. One might be wondering where else it can pain in my body . It happens when i play for very long, you being a doc can help. I get headache after playing for long, it aches for few hours and then its fine. My theory has been either its because of lack of oxygen, or glucose or necessary minerals, which i have tried to supplement a few times but have not worked. Its not very bad, but mild.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 14th February 2012 at 12:50.
Old 14th February 2012, 12:53   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Stomping is a usual response to running, so if you are running you would stomp to stop, if thats true then do not run. Look at Peters Video on footwork on this thread (Post number 29), that might help. More then the shoes or extra Cushioning inside (Which i use) the footwork will help.

In last 3 years apart from when i am traveling (or my morning playmates are traveling) i have never stopped playing because of pain, with only one exception (2 days break), because of elbow pain. In total ~20 days i might not have played, but this does not mean you should not. You know your body better then anyone else, even better then a doctor and are best placed to judge when to stop and when not to stop.

I have had pain in my toes, ankles, knees, thigh's, shoulder, and elbow, the only time i have used additional support is when i had elbow pain, but that is not to say you shouldn't, please use them if they help, but change the game/equipment to eradicate the pain and remove the additional support.

Now its my turn to ask for a help, for a pain. One might be wondering where else it can pain in my body . It happens when i play for very long, you being a doc can help. I get headache after playing for long, it aches for few hours and then its fine. My theory has been either its because of lack of oxygen, or glucose or necessary minerals, which i have tried to supplement a few times but have not worked. Its not very bad, but mild.
It could be due to the fact that you would be on an empty stomach in the morning?The body is craving for some food to digest while all it gets is nothing.Try eating a fruit before getting onto the court and it could help.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2012, 14:11   #105
BHPian

Now its my turn to ask for a help, for a pain. One might be wondering where else it can pain in my body . It happens when i play for very long, you being a doc can help. I get headache after playing for long, it aches for few hours and then its fine. My theory has been either its because of lack of oxygen, or glucose or necessary minerals, which i have tried to supplement a few times but have not worked. Its not very bad, but mild.[/quote]

head aches(HA) are a complex syndromes.a thorough clinical examination is a must,which i will not be able to do.going by your words this can be exertional HA.but some times it may be the manifestation of a serious underlying disorder.please consult a neurologist.
checking your vision and your contacts may also be of help.
drbabuanand is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed