Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2014, 16:44   #241
Senior - BHPian

Re: The right way to play Badminton

I am back

The right way to play Badminton-886195_10152341944899704_935008233_o.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post
Anyways now to the business end - to get that twang sound from a shot, do we need to re-gut it, or is it just the kind of racket, or is it the technique?
The twang or what i call (BANG) comes from many things.

1. The size of the court and air (As mentioned by Ranjit)
2. Your technique, are you using wrist or not.
3. and Finally, the string tension. Tighter the tension lesser the BANG, a bit loose (Not too loose) and you can hear the BANG.

One thing to remember is Tighter strings make it better for net dribble and slightly softer strings make it better for power play i.e. smashes and clears.

What did i learn/do while i was away
1. Legs are supremely important. Most of your within rally performance comes from Strong legs and strong lungs/heart. Keep working on them.
2. The stepping drill is single key to success. This helps you stretch out your legs and lungs.
3. Skipping is the most awesome exercise for strengthening legs (especially calf muscles) which are so critical in moving around the court. I suggest start skipping as a warmup routine.
4. To built my leg muscles i tie a 500gms Rebook strip on my legs and then do skipping before starting to play.
5. Few days a week i play with 500gms Rebook strip tied on my ankles and then play full game with it. Once i remove my legs feel like floating in the air.

Keep pushing, Best

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 19th May 2014 at 16:46.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2014, 17:59   #242
BHPian

Anyone interested in playing badminton near Andheri east? I play like "ok ok"... need 1 partner
Old 8th December 2014, 15:17   #243
BHPian

Hey Guys, I am a newbie to the skill and power of Badminton. Have never really played the game in the right spirit, except for the last two months and now have become addicted to it. Till now I have been managing with a Cosco racquet(CB-150), however, with the regularity in the game and possibly a better game and opponents, I need to upgrade my racquet.

Have a limited budget(arnd 2k) and been pondering between Yonex Carbonnex 7000/8000 and Muscle Power 29, something from Li-Ning range or any other. Read almost all the reviews available on the net, understood the pros and cons of them etc in theory, yet extremely confused. Hence, need more informed advice and putting my query here. My style of play is more offensive rather than touch and love thwacking the shuttle than caressing.

Look forward to informed advice from badminton bhpians.

Cheers
Old 8th December 2014, 17:11   #244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maktags View Post
Hey Guys, I am a newbie to the skill and power of Badminton. Have never really played the game in the right spirit, except for the last two months and now have become addicted to it. Till now I have been managing with a Cosco racquet(CB-150), however, with the regularity in the game and possibly a better game and opponents, I need to upgrade my racquet.

Have a limited budget(arnd 2k) and been pondering between Yonex Carbonnex 7000/8000 and Muscle Power 29, something from Li-Ning range or any other. Read almost all the reviews available on the net, understood the pros and cons of them etc in theory, yet extremely confused. Hence, need more informed advice and putting my query here. My style of play is more offensive rather than touch and love thwacking the shuttle than caressing.

Look forward to informed advice from badminton bhpians.

Cheers
Go with the MP29,string it to about 24lbs with BG65 and you are good to go.Also put a medium thickness grip on the handle so that the vibrations dont hit your palm.Dont buy a very thin grip.
Old 10th December 2014, 07:54   #245
BHPian

It's been a year that I am playing this game every morning and I absolutely love it. Anyone who stays at Andheri east if interested in playing from 6-7 in morning do let me know.
Old 5th August 2015, 22:06   #246
Senior - BHPian

The ABH Weekend League

Entries are still welcome.

All details at this link
https://www.facebook.com/groups/amat...4944105196953/
Attached Images

Old 2nd December 2015, 09:49   #247
BHPian

Hello Players, reviving an old thread. I am looking for a good sports shop for stringing my badminton racquets in Gurgaon. Any leads or recommendations.

TIA
Old 25th February 2016, 20:13   #248
BHPian

Can you guys suggest which decent badminton shoes i can go for?, Initially planning to go for ones which are low cost & I intend to stretch it to limit , If i am playing regularly then will upgrade to better ones.

Last edited by redrage : 25th February 2016 at 20:14.
Old 25th February 2016, 21:05   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrage View Post
Can you guys suggest which decent badminton shoes i can go for?, Initially planning to go for ones which are low cost & I intend to stretch it to limit , If i am playing regularly then will upgrade to better ones.
Nivia non-marking. Excellent grip and very comfortable. I bought mine a couple of years ago for 900 from a sports shop in Sarojini Nagar, Delhi. I've been using the same brand for close to 15 years now and never felt a need to get fancy Yonex shoes.
shady_lawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2016, 08:07   #250
Senior - BHPian

Resurrecting this long lost and forgotten thread .

Since i have moved to Gurgaon in 2015, i have been struggling to find good wooden courts around sector 50 and have not been able to do so. I was amazed to see not many housing apartment complexes have wooden courts, many dont even have badminton courts.

If someone can help find decent wooden courts in and around sector 50, would help immensely.

Lack of wooden court and no fitness regime has forced me to use tiled court that too a make shift one, but this cant last very long.
Old 8th June 2016, 17:34   #251
BHPian

While there are hardly any indoor badminton courts in housing societies in Gurgaon, you could find them in sports complexes in Delhi. Alternatively, you can try getting a membership at American Excelsior School on Golf Course Road through Duplays Gurgaon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Resurrecting this long lost and forgotten thread .

Since i have moved to Gurgaon in 2015, i have been struggling to find good wooden courts around sector 50 and have not been able to do so. I was amazed to see not many housing apartment complexes have wooden courts, many dont even have badminton courts.

If someone can help find decent wooden courts in and around sector 50, would help immensely.

Lack of wooden court and no fitness regime has forced me to use tiled court that too a make shift one, but this cant last very long.
Old 1st July 2016, 16:26   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
I am back

Attachment 1242050

The twang or what i call (BANG) comes from many things.

1. The size of the court and air (As mentioned by Ranjit)
2. Your technique, are you using wrist or not.
3. and Finally, the string tension. Tighter the tension lesser the BANG, a bit loose (Not too loose) and you can hear the BANG.

One thing to remember is Tighter strings make it better for net dribble and slightly softer strings make it better for power play i.e. smashes and clears.

What did i learn/do while i was away
1. Legs are supremely important. Most of your within rally performance comes from Strong legs and strong lungs/heart. Keep working on them.
2. The stepping drill is single key to success. This helps you stretch out your legs and lungs.
3. Skipping is the most awesome exercise for strengthening legs (especially calf muscles) which are so critical in moving around the court. I suggest start skipping as a warmup routine.
4. To built my leg muscles i tie a 500gms Rebook strip on my legs and then do skipping before starting to play.
5. Few days a week i play with 500gms Rebook strip tied on my ankles and then play full game with it. Once i remove my legs feel like floating in the air.

Keep pushing, Best

Hello Mayank,
First of all wonderful thread. Rated 5 stars already. I've followed your instructions and footwork guidelines and it surely helped me to improve my game.

I would like to share my personal experience with badminton since you guys are good players. I picked up badminton when I was 18. I practiced for about a year (4 hours a day) and learnt the game. I then participated in district level championship, got selected and then was preparing for state level championship. I got selected there and I was up for national selection.

But unfortunately I met with a severe bike accident and broke my right leg (my ankle bone-talus was completely broken and was detached from my leg). And my badminton dream was gone completely. I was on bedrest for complete 9 months. I lost hope of playing again.

But with good-will I started playing badminton again after 2 years. I got selected for All India Inter University championship and bang on. Started playing again but I couldn't retain my original game due to my injuries so I decided not to play singles and started focusing on doubles play.

I need your help in choosing right racket. I need a racket which is best for doubles play. I'm a hardcore shooter so no worries with slightly heavy head. Plus I prefer over grip.

Currently I have Li Ning Ultra Carbon-3000, Li Ning High Carbon-1200,1250. I really love my UC-3000 but it has served it's life so I need to buy one.

Suggestions I got are below,

1. Yonex Duora 77
2. Yonex Duora 88
3. Yonex Voltric 8 e tune
4. Yonex NanoRay 95 DX

Please help me. And once again nice thread and very helpful. Keep up the good work. TC
Old 1st July 2016, 22:33   #253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddyguage View Post
Hello Mayank,
First of all wonderful thread. Rated 5 stars already. I've followed your instructions and footwork guidelines and it surely helped me to improve my game.

I would like to share my personal experience with badminton since you guys are good players. I picked up badminton when I was 18. I practiced for about a year (4 hours a day) and learnt the game. I then participated in district level championship, got selected and then was preparing for state level championship. I got selected there and I was up for national selection.

But unfortunately I met with a severe bike accident and broke my right leg (my ankle bone-talus was completely broken and was detached from my leg). And my badminton dream was gone completely. I was on bedrest for complete 9 months. I lost hope of playing again.

But with good-will I started playing badminton again after 2 years. I got selected for All India Inter University championship and bang on. Started playing again but I couldn't retain my original game due to my injuries so I decided not to play singles and started focusing on doubles play.

I need your help in choosing right racket. I need a racket which is best for doubles play. I'm a hardcore shooter so no worries with slightly heavy head. Plus I prefer over grip.

Currently I have Li Ning Ultra Carbon-3000, Li Ning High Carbon-1200,1250. I really love my UC-3000 but it has served it's life so I need to buy one.

Suggestions I got are below,

1. Yonex Duora 77
2. Yonex Duora 88
3. Yonex Voltric 8 e tune
4. Yonex NanoRay 95 DX

Please help me. And once again nice thread and very helpful. Keep up the good work. TC
Firstly great work on the recovery.Am sure its just a case of the mind being more cautious than the body for now.

I dont think anybody has cracked the million dollar question yet of which racquet for which!My since advise would be go with the racquet that makes you feel good about it.Just decide whether you want a head-heavy,Head light or a even balanced racquet

NR90DX:stiff flex, 4U racquet- Can be strung to 30lbs .Felt it lacked control Not as headlight as i wanted it to be.I think you should consider the 70DX as well,which imo is something that I love.

Duora series has been designed for playing the backhand and forehand effectively.one side is box shaped and the other side is aero shaped.lcw has been promoting this quite a bit.looks and reviews have been impressive.

duora88 is less flexible shaft than 77.this is a good.even balanced racquet.i just might get one for myself the duora88.duora series,yonex claims is made of the same material that is used for next generation space rockets!

hope i have managed to confuse you enoughfor me,I would settle for the duora88
Old 2nd July 2016, 02:16   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Firstly great work on the recovery.Am sure its just a case of the mind being more cautious than the body for now.

I dont think anybody has cracked the million dollar question yet of which racquet for which!My since advise would be go with the racquet that makes you feel good about it.Just decide whether you want a head-heavy,Head light or a even balanced racquet

NR90DX:stiff flex, 4U racquet- Can be strung to 30lbs .Felt it lacked control Not as headlight as i wanted it to be.I think you should consider the 70DX as well,which imo is something that I love.

Duora series has been designed for playing the backhand and forehand effectively.one side is box shaped and the other side is aero shaped.lcw has been promoting this quite a bit.looks and reviews have been impressive.

duora88 is less flexible shaft than 77.this is a good.even balanced racquet.i just might get one for myself the duora88.duora series,yonex claims is made of the same material that is used for next generation space rockets!

hope i have managed to confuse you enoughfor me,I would settle for the duora88

Thanks a lot ranjit. And yes even I'm more towards Duora 77/88. Today I got my hands on Duora 77 and I liked it. May be with some more shots I'll be able to decide. I'll update you about that soon.

CHEERS
Old 23rd July 2016, 12:59   #255
Senior - BHPian

Amateur Badminton Hyderabad League

The right way to play Badminton-logo1.jpg

The right way to play Badminton-1.jpg

The right way to play Badminton-poster1.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks