Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2022, 10:57   #301

Re: The right way to play Badminton

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post

Any suggestions on brands/ shops at South Bangalore for these two, not going overboard with the budget. Alternatively, would it be better just going to Decathlon and picking up?

KK
I would suggest you to go to any lining store as they do have junior racquets starting at 1k onwards and there is also a lining super store in JP nagar where you have a court to try the racquets and shoes to try something before you buy in a realtime environment.

As far as shoes you can try in the same store or if you know the exact foot size can order the same from lining India studio website or Amazon. I would suggest strongly to get very good shoes even if it's a bit expensive as picking a right shoe will prevent injuries and give you maximum support.
adityakommuru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2022, 11:48   #302
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
Have joined my 9 YO daughter to an academy for Badminton coaching and the trainer there preferred us to get a good racket which is light weight and good construction and strings and also a non marking shoes.

Any suggestions on brands/ shops at South Bangalore for these two, not going overboard with the budget. Alternatively, would it be better just going to Decathlon and picking up?

I was told that a more than a decent racket might come in the range of 1.3k to 1.8k and shoes also in the similar range.

KK
Racquets can be Yonex or Lining. Grip also from Yonex/Lining. Shoes, shorts, t-shirts and socks highly recommended from Decathlon. I've seen my team mates using variety of shoes ranging from as low as ₹1000 to ₹10000 with mixed results. Of late I'm seeing in my court many (adults) are using decathlon shoes (costs ~₹1800) with good results. Please don't get Artengo racquet and grip from Decathlon. Based on friend's experience I can say they are simply waste.
KPR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2022, 19:02   #303
BHPian

Any suggestions for places for playing badminton in Navi Mumbai? Preferably in Vashi-Nerul area. Looking for a place where I can play regularly. (Daily/3-4 times a week)

Note: Not sure if this is the right thread. Request mods to move the post, if necessary.
Old 18th September 2023, 16:31   #304
BHPian

Reviving this thread - have started playing Badminton again after a long time.

There are different age group-wise tournaments/events that are held in and around Mumbai, Thane, Navi Mumbai.

Does anyone play in these I am keen to play some of these - just to keep in shape/fit.

I am in my 50s now, so perhaps trying to just squeeze the mettle; one last hurrah!

Do let me, fellowmen.

Last edited by Turbanator : 18th September 2023 at 21:22. Reason: Please proofread before posting.
Old 27th September 2023, 13:16   #305
BHPian

where can we rent badminton courts to play for an hour or two in Bombay, preferably around Borivali/Kandivali area ?
Old 27th September 2023, 17:47   #306
BHPian

Okay, I don't consider myself a pro, but I can play!

I mostly play outdoors in my apartment but I do go indoors seldom!

I learnt badminton in my dad's Yonex Carbonex 8300 which my dad lent me only to learn (which my dad bought when he was in the States).. Fun fact, that racquet is older than me.. I'm 16 for context! I didn't have any interest in badmintion. Until I came to my new house and saw that they had a court here and my parents took me to play one day. I just fell in love with this sport immediately and was hell-bent on learning how to play the sport as much as I could! I'm self-learnt by the way! I've learnt from my family, my friends and the people in my apartment!

My first racquet which I bought was a Rs 900/- HRX Carbon Force 2000 which I used for 6 months (frame broke) on a tension of 26LBS (max 28LBS) using Yonex BG65 string! It weighed around 82gms I think!!

After a couple of months, I finally got my hands on the Apacs Finapi 232 which I'm in love with!! It came unstrung so I went to my nearby indoor court where I knew a guy, he did the job and gave it to me! It's using a Yonex BG65 on a tension of 25LBS right now! It actually has a max tension of 38LBS.. (not going anywhere above 30LBS, don't wanna break this baby yet). It weighs in about 85-88gms I think and it is a breeze to use!! I bought the racquet on Amazon for Rs 1700/- and the stringing cost me Rs 500/- and the grip was Rs 100/-, costing me all in all Rs 2300/-, which isn't that bad, if you ask me! I might change the strings and the grip in the future just to color-code with the racquet.. That's the main reason I bought the racquet in black .

Attaching a picture of it below

I didn't have time to take this to play indoors but I can't wait to play! Also big thanks for creating this thread! I find a lot of information posted here useful! Helps in improving my game!

Also, if there are any BHPians in Bangalore who wanna play sometime, please text me! I'm always up for a game!

Cheers!
Attached Images

Old 28th September 2023, 09:26   #307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
where can we rent badminton courts to play for an hour or two in Bombay, preferably around Borivali/Kandivali area ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nova.19_exe View Post
Also, if there are any BHPians in Bangalore who wanna play sometime, please text me! I'm always up for a game!
People who are looking for nearby courts or players can use the Playo app. You can select your level of the game (Beginner, Amateur, Intermediate, Advanced, and Professional) and join the games based on the same level. You also can host the games and accept requests from others. The cost (court fee + shuttle) can be shared among the players. It's very popular in many cities like Hyderabad, Bengaluru, Chennai, Pune, etc., but I don't see many courts in Mumbai.

Quote:
After a couple of months, I finally got my hands on the Apacs Finapi 232 which I'm in love with!! It came unstrung so I went to my nearby indoor court where I knew a guy, he did the job and gave it to me! It's using a Yonex BG65 on a tension of 25LBS right now! It actually has a max tension of 38LBS.. (not going anywhere above 30LBS, don't wanna break this baby yet). It weighs in about 85-88gms I think and it is a breeze to use!! I bought the racquet on Amazon for Rs 1700/- and the stringing cost me Rs 500/- and the grip was Rs 100/-, costing me all in all Rs 2300/-, which isn't that bad, if you ask me! I might change the strings and the grip in the future just to color-code with the racquet.. That's the main reason I bought the racquet in black .

Apacs Finapi 232 is one of the best rackets at a great price. It's better than most of the rackets which cost up to Rs 5,000 from brands like Yonex, Lining, and even Apacs themselves. I started with Yonex Carbonex, Lining beginner rackets, and tried the likes of Yonex Voltric 5/7. But once I tried Finapi 232, I never changed to other brands or models. I even tried the expensive ones from the Apacs but never got the same feeling as the Finapi 232. Luckily, it's very cheap and I keep another one as a backup and quickly replace or restring with the same model if one is broken.
sri_tesla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 17:41   #308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sri_tesla View Post
People who are looking for nearby courts or players can use the Playo app. You can select your level of the game (Beginner, Amateur, Intermediate, Advanced, and Professional) and join the games based on the same level. You also can host the games and accept requests from others. The cost (court fee + shuttle) can be shared among the players. It's very popular in many cities like Hyderabad, Bengaluru, Chennai, Pune, etc., but I don't see many courts in Mumbai.
I've heard of the Playo app. Just never used it, I tend to just go with my friends or family by calling up the court guy and booking one or two, depending on how many people we are! Will definitely try Playo out!

Quote:
Apacs Finapi 232 is one of the best rackets at a great price. It's better than most of the rackets which cost up to Rs 5,000 from brands like Yonex, Lining, and even Apacs themselves. I started with Yonex Carbonex, Lining beginner rackets, and tried the likes of Yonex Voltric 5/7. But once I tried Finapi 232, I never changed to other brands or models. I even tried the expensive ones from the Apacs but never got the same feeling as the Finapi 232. Luckily, it's very cheap and I keep another one as a backup and quickly replace or restring with the same model if one is broken.
True, I have used a lot of racquets like the Yonex Muscle Power 29 Lite, Yonex Astrox 99 Play and even the Yonex Nanoray 18i! But none of them even came close to the Finapi 232! It's just on a whole another level! In hindsight, I think there might racquets that may compare to the Finapi from Yonex or Li-Ning but I haven't got my hands on them! So, in my opinion, Finapi 232 is the winner for me!
Old 28th September 2023, 19:08   #309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
Try these -
1) https://www.shuttlepassionbadminton.com

2) https://bharatbz.com/maharashtra/tsg...s-arena-344574

These are in Borivali West; hope they are useful to you!
saildrive is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 23:32   #310
BHPian

Quote:

Apacs Finapi 232 is one of the best rackets at a great price. It's better than most of the rackets which cost up to Rs 5,000 from brands like Yonex, Lining, and even Apacs themselves. .
Quote:

But none of them even came close to the Finapi 232! It's just on a whole another level! In hindsight, So, in my opinion, Finapi 232 is the winner for me!
So I am in the market for a new racket, a good friend of mine uses a Finapi Z-Ziggler and is strongly recommending it for me too.

What are your thoughts on it? Looking at the amazon listings, they both seem the same.

Ziggler - https://www.amazon.in/dp/B08L7YTL67?...D0Q9G9P_1&th=1

Finapi - https://www.amazon.in/Apacs-Unstrung.../dp/B0BZ8ZLCTJ
Old 29th September 2023, 11:17   #311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRandomGuy View Post
So I am in the market for a new racket, a good friend of mine uses a Finapi Z-Ziggler and is strongly recommending it for me too.

What are your thoughts on it? Looking at the amazon listings, they both seem the same.
While both may seem the same in most of the specifications, you will get to know the actual difference while playing only. For example, Finapi 232 and Finapi 232 Limited both have the exact same specs except for the shaft diameter and no. of holes but I could not get the same feeling or power from the Limited variant as I get from the regular 232 even though Limited is marketed as having 15% more power.

The Z-ziggler is a slightly head-heavy racket while Finapi 232 is more even-balanced. If possible, borrow the Z-Ziggler racket from your friend and play 1 or 2 matches to see if it suits you or not. If that's not possible, you can start with Finapi 232 as it's a safe and good option. Make sure to start with regular Finapi 232 (not Finapi 232 limited).
sri_tesla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2023, 11:24   #312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyD View Post
Any suggestions for places for playing badminton in Navi Mumbai? Preferably in Vashi-Nerul area. Looking for a place where I can play regularly. (Daily/3-4 times a week)

Note: Not sure if this is the right thread. Request mods to move the post, if necessary.
Hi, you can check these:
1. YMCA, CBD
2. Nerul Gymkhana
3. D.Y. Patil University, Nerul
4. NMSA, Vashi

Good luck!
Iyencar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2023, 11:53   #313
BHPian

Quote:

If possible, borrow the Z-Ziggler racket from your friend and play 1 or 2 matches to see if it suits you or not.

Thanks a lot for the explanation.

I am going to borrow his racket for a few weeks now, and then decide.
Old 29th September 2023, 16:28   #314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRandomGuy View Post

Well, according to a friend of mine, Z-Ziggler has a smaller head when compared to the Finapi 232. So if you are beginner or intermediate, you can go for it..

If you are an intermediate or a pro player, then Finapi 232 it is!!

Honestly, just get the Finapi 232! Not the Limited one.. The Regular one! You won't regret getting the Finapi 232!

Happy shuttling!! Cheers!
Old 29th September 2023, 23:23   #315
BHPian

Quote:
Well, according to a friend of mine, Z-Ziggler has a smaller head when compared to the Finapi 232. So if you are beginner or intermediate, you can go for it..

If you are an intermediate or a pro player, then Finapi 232 it is!!

I feel I am a beginner just on the verge of getting to intermediate level.

Also, why do you say smaller head is better for beginners? Wouldnt a smaller head be difficult to use for a beginner as it reduces the contact area and hence more missed shots?
TheRandomGuy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks