Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2011, 15:59   #1
BHPian

Can I trace my lost cellphone?

Hi guys

I lost a cellphone while driving an Activa. It was a cheapo phone (Cost 3k) so I'm not very concerned about the fact, but it hasn't been stolen yet. I've been trying to call the phone, and the call goes through, but is not attended.

I lost it during a relatively short trip (1km round trip, 2km total) from my home. I've searched the road four times, and the area where I think I lost it 5-6 times.

I tried calling Airtel customer care to ask if they could tell me which cellphone tower the phone's connected to, but their reply was as helpful as it gets "Contact the local police station".

Is it possible for me to get Airtel to trace the phone without police intervention? I don't have any faith in them, and I don't want to dish out any bribes to get the job done, and I doubt if they'll take the complaint seriously.

Or any other advice? It was on silent, so I'm gonna give it another shot at night, hoping that the light from the screen will be visible that time.

Thanks.
Old 17th June 2011, 16:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Can I trace my lost cellphone?

Had a similar experience few years ago on a rainy day when my wife lost her cellphone. We tried all means but weren't successful with the supportive service provider (pun intended), eventually called customer care to block the SIM and took a new SIM for the same number, changed the handset and she swore to be more careful from there-on (As she lost contact with everyone she knew).
Old 17th June 2011, 16:11   #3
BHPian

Tracing a live cell phone can be done within minutes. However, you need to know someone high up with the service provider (Airtel in your case) or personally know someone in the CID or police department to do it for you. I am telling this because my phone was stolen once and the thief had forgotten to switch it off. I went to the local CID branch and an inspector there called up someone in the cell phone service provider and let me know the whereabouts (within a range of a kilometer) within 5 minutes. He also said that cops have more sophisticated devices that can locate the device within 10 meters. However, their branch did not have it at that time.

The problem is can you pull this through or will the authorities help you for a relatively cheaper phone of around 3k.
Old 17th June 2011, 16:15   #4
BHPian

Since you say that there is no answer from the Phone, my guess is that it has landed in some no man's land.

Since it is not expensive, it is better you just forego it.

Also, get a new sim and deactivate the old sim ASAP to prevent misuse of any kind.
Old 17th June 2011, 16:18   #5
BHPian

Well its actually very easy to pin point (triangulate) on the lost cell phone if the service providers realy intend.
Stretching it far - Didn't you see how Osama's courier was triangulated and then followed to Osama.

My wifey lost Sony K750i couple of years ago. Went to the service provider, they needed FIR copy.
So the sequnce is
1) File FIR mentioning IMEI number (nothing happend from Police beyond that).
2) Give the copies of the filed FIR to all the service providers (atleast) in your city. (nothing happens here too unless they want to act upon it).

Summary: I just followed all the procedure metioned above like a honest citizen and left it at their will. Nothing happened.

Last edited by GTO : 19th June 2011 at 11:24. Reason: First warning : Please PROOF-READ your posts for spelling errors
Old 17th June 2011, 16:36   #6
BHPian

Ah well...I can see there's not much hope. Especially since I don't know anyone high up, anywhere.

I'll give it a last shot at night, coz the screen will light up when I call the phone, and it might help me locate the phone.

Thanks anyway.
Old 17th June 2011, 16:37   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Based on your SIM, Airtel or any other operator for that matter will be able to inform you under which cell phone tower (BTS) your phone is currently in. This provided the person who got your SIM haven't taken out the SIM ( a rare case in case its stolen).

For locating the exact location of your cell phone (Triangulate); as done by security agencies to locate a person who is using a certain number they take help of 3 receivers which scan for the exact frequency / time slot your SIM uses. By calculating distance from each receiver to the orgin of the signal location is detected; almost like GPS satellites. This is something I dont think our local police force is capable for due to lack of technical infrastructure. So leave this option out.

Now, consider the person who took your phone changed the SIM and switched to another number of same/ diffrent operator the only option then or else too is to track using your phones IMEI number. For this you have to register a complaint with the cops at police station under jurisdiction theft had happend. Once that is is done they will by their own or ask you to transfer the complaint to cyber wing mostly. What they will do is to put a watch on this IMEI number and once it pops up try catching the theif. This said, since its a case of standalone mobile theft cops wont be any keen on going behind the culprit.
Couple of years back we got back my moms phone after it was tracked using IMEI even though the theif had changed the SIM. However, cops were bit more keen on that since the same theif had taken broken in to our house and stolen few valuables along with the phone from our house and also few neighbouring houses. So this was their only lead to catch this guy.
However if possible go filing an FIR with police since now your phone along with contacts and SIM is with someone, FIR will atleast guard you against any misuse of the same and also will help you in getting new SIM with same number on submitting at operator customer care.
Old 17th June 2011, 18:04   #8
BHPian

Police can easily trace your phone through IMEI ,if they wish to.

Have a look at this post of mine http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post1837388

Last edited by rishab.k : 17th June 2011 at 18:05.
Old 17th June 2011, 19:16   #9
BHPian

First of all it is better to lodge an FIR, so that the active SIM card is not used for any illegal activity, such as kidnapping etc, which would invite more trouble. Secondly if the service provider is able to help you in triangulating and locating it would be a fine gesture. Finally out of the box, if the ring tone is active and you feel that the SIM may be on the road side, try to locate it in the night with constant ringing from another mobile. Maybe it is farfetched and out of the box, give it a try since you know where you had been. Ask some friends or neighbours too join the search.
Old 17th June 2011, 20:15   #10
BHPian

I FOUND IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hahahahahahahahamuhawhawhawhawhawhawhawhawhawhawha whaw.

Ok, sorry.

My last idea (look for the light from the cell phone screen at night) worked. It was barely 50 metres away from home, and was so securely hidden in the bushes, I wouldn't mind keeping a bar of gold at that place. No wonder no one found it.

Thanks for the ideas everyone. I'm sooooooooooo happy.
Old 18th June 2011, 09:06   #11
Senior - BHPian

Haha. Congratulations mate. How did you celebrate the return of your prodigal cell phone?
By the way, I am not sure if locking your phone through its IMEI number helps much, except for some satisfaction. My brother's Nokia N 73 was stolen in a bus. The Nokia Priority guy said that even if he locks the phone, it can be easily unlocked (by someone on SP road in Bangalore, for example).
Old 18th June 2011, 18:25   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Haha. Congratulations mate. How did you celebrate the return of your prodigal cell phone?
By the way, I am not sure if locking your phone through its IMEI number helps much, except for some satisfaction. My brother's Nokia N 73 was stolen in a bus. The Nokia Priority guy said that even if he locks the phone, it can be easily unlocked (by someone on SP road in Bangalore, for example).
Haha, thanks. How did I celebrate? Err...I ate a mango, I guess?

I did produce a diabolical laugh every time I passed by mom or mom passed by me.
Old 18th June 2011, 19:32   #13
Senior - BHPian

While browsing web, I found this article. It may HELP others in future

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-20...sing-my-phone/

Raab Rakha.

Last edited by ariesonu : 18th June 2011 at 19:34.
ariesonu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 22:23   #14
BHPian

Bumping up this thread.
Found out a recent new thing from DoT and TRAI for locating and blocking temporarily stolen cellphones mobiles via IMEI number.
Currently this is active only for Maharashtra and Delhi users. This is applicable across all telecom operators.

https://ceir.gov.in/Home/index.jsp

From their website:
Quote:
With the aim to curtail the counterfeit mobile phone market and discourage mobile phone theft, protect consumer interest and facilitate law enforcement authorities for lawful interception, DoT intends to implement Central Equipment Identity Registry (CEIR) that connects to the IMEI database of all the mobile Operators. CEIR acts as a central system for all network Operators to share black listed mobile devices so that devices blacklisted in one network will not work on other networks even if the Subscriber Identity Module (SIM) card in the device is changed
Torq is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2023, 21:58   #15
BHPian

Wanted to share pleasant experience with CEIR - portal for citizens by department of telecommunication for tracing stolen/lost mobiles.

My S10 phone was stolen within a span of 10mins from my apartment parking lot. I had forgotten it in my scooter's front pocket. I realised it when i went upstairs, came back only to find phone wasn't there. It was immediately switched off.

I had raised complaint to block my phone on this portal on the same day.

I received first update in May 2023 stating traceability data of my phone is shared with police.

Today I received another sms stating my phone has been recovered, and I have to visit police station.

I went to the police station and indeed saw my phone with them!

It will be handed over to me in a few days.

So do use this portal whenever you lose your phone. For which keep your phone's IMEI number in your records. It's present on the bill too. Even if it's not recovered, atleast the IMEI is blocked and no one can use it. If used, it gets tracked.

So far I had raised 4 complaints on this portal out of which 1 phone is successfully recovered.
StepUP! is online now   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks