Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2006, 15:47   #16
BHPian

In my place, it is considered extremely unlucky to hit a pig. Hit one and you'll have to sell the car (under pressure from the elders).

I have hit a dog on the IRR in the Uno. It was being taken for a walk by a lady who decided to give the dog a free reign. The dog crossed the road and came straight for the car. I was taking the turn at 70kmph and there was no way for me to hit the brakes. WHAM! I didnt stop there, went on past that hyundai service centre, took a left int oa side road and checked the damage. Apast from dog hairs here and there nothing happened to the car.
Old 7th February 2006, 16:13   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrie
In my place, it is considered extremely unlucky to hit a pig. Hit one and you'll have to sell the car (under pressure from the elders).

I have hit a dog on the IRR in the Uno. It was being taken for a walk by a lady who decided to give the dog a free reign. The dog crossed the road and came straight for the car. I was taking the turn at 70kmph and there was no way for me to hit the brakes. WHAM! I didnt stop there, went on past that hyundai service centre, took a left int oa side road and checked the damage. Apast from dog hairs here and there nothing happened to the car.
Does the Uno have plastic/fiber bumpers or are they metal?

I'm seriously beginning to have some concerns now. If there is a class of vehicles that seem to ram into cows and buffaloes, let alone dogs and take it in their stride, what have they got that my car dont!!!!

I just hope none of those ambassador/padmini/suv type guys respond with their trophy stories on the road. Im feeling bad enough already! :-P

Seriously, if there is a karate class that I can send my baby to, send me the suggestions!!

Jokes apart, the incident has turned me into quite a bit of a defensive driver.. and I hope to keep it that way for some time now. Getting body work fixed is quite a pain.. :(
Old 7th February 2006, 16:33   #18
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK
A Buffalo!!!!!!!!
No no.... I did not dare to hit it!...
The damn thing hit the car! from side...
Supposedly it was out of control and just came running and hit a car doing about 40km/h (again 800)....

Damage
.. left side fender looked like a potato chip
.. slight bend in the A pillar
.. Windscreen

Not damaged
.. the buffalo had fallen down, so stud up and walked away.
Ha ha ha
Pardon the mirth! I do realize it cost you some dear banknotes!
But you should hear the monologue:
"Mhais" by the famous P.L. Deshpande.
म्हैस (पु . ल . देशपांडे)
Very entertaining. About a buffalo that was knocked unconscious by an ST bus and while the passengers got down and were engrossed in discussions, the bovine just got up and walked away, leaving everyone nonplused!!
Old 7th February 2006, 16:52   #19
Senior - BHPian

@KGC cool: u're talking about 9k. Never try swerving to avoid a dog. I once broke a fog-light. Even bent a bumper.

A ferrari in chennai has also been a victim of a dog.

Dogs are like bad roads in India. We can never avoid them.
Old 7th February 2006, 17:56   #20
Senior - BHPian

I understand that all of youll are worried about your cars nd all but what about the poor innocent animals that lost their lives in the bargain. Just think that youll should be a bit more sensitive cos after all theyre living beings too.
Old 7th February 2006, 18:14   #21
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak
I understand that all of youll are worried about your cars nd all but what about the poor innocent animals that lost their lives in the bargain. Just think that youll should be a bit more sensitive cos after all theyre living beings too.
Well OK, but .. don't dogs have their days!.... bite people.. and spread rabies!

Bangalore has so many dogs that most people won't mind knocking one down on a daily basis!

OK, I am in no way for killing animals... but in situations where ... it's "I die or the dog die"..... I'd prefer the dog!
Old 7th February 2006, 18:27   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram
PuLa aside, I am interested in knowing how you managed that devnagari script? As in, it is text and not image. Is that embedded font? TBHP supports that kya?
Old 7th February 2006, 18:32   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK
Well OK, but .. don't dogs have their days!.... bite people.. and spread rabies!

Bangalore has so many dogs that most people won't mind knocking one down on a daily basis!

OK, I am in no way for killing animals... but in situations where ... it's "I die or the dog die"..... I'd prefer the dog!
I agree that in situations where you cant help it nothing can be done but doing so on purpose isnt right.

Also there is a solution to controlling the dogs..........sterilization

Last edited by khanak : 7th February 2006 at 18:34.
Old 7th February 2006, 20:04   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak
but doing so on purpose isnt right.
nobody does it on purpose. Mrs. gandhi may think otherwise. shattered elbows and fractured collar bones do force people to keep in mind that they have to prefer their own safety over a stray animal roaming around.

Quote:
Also there is a solution to controlling the dogs..........sterilization
innovative idea, but aint catching them all a part of this excercise? do u think they can steralise the animals if they dont even bother to catch them? and will the likes of Mrs. gandhi let that happen, just in case the authorities wake up ( one official' son bashing his head to save a dog or some similar incident).

the humans' right to protect themselves and evolve should not be curbed, just coz a so called poor thing of a mute animal was taking part in a nice dog show in the middle of a highway.

my word: save yourself. and other humans too.
Old 9th February 2006, 16:32   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuRnT RuBbEr
nobody does it on purpose. Mrs. gandhi may think otherwise. shattered elbows and fractured collar bones do force people to keep in mind that they have to prefer their own safety over a stray animal roaming around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya
hahahhaha..yeah i am sure that even now after 3 years that dog will be careful when crossing teh road..i braked the pre v2 indica from abt 120 to around 20 kph and even then when the dog did not move ..i made the indica spank the dogs back ..hahhahahhahahahha...and i heard a loud thud ...when i got down to check ...i saw the dog running away from the other side ..hahha running as if on NOS...hahahhahahahahhahahhaha.....

abt scratching rats ...if i dont they come and eat my all the wires in my car ....but bengalooru rats are smart ....they dont enter
Old 9th February 2006, 16:36   #26
Senior - BHPian

Most Indian civic bodies have been killing stray dogs for decades, some since the last century. The concept was directly imported from the developed countries without any understanding of the very different urban conditions in the third world. In developing countries such as India, where exposed garbage and slums encourage the existence of strays, killing or removing stray dogs has proved completely ineffective in controlling rabies or the dog population. This is because dogs removed are easily replaced.Dogs have extremely high breeding rates (twice a year, multiple births). Two dogs can multiply to over 300 (over a few generations) in three years. They are also highly territorial, with each dog having its fixed niche.
[Here is what happens when dogs are taken away:
  • Their territories become vacant and dogs from neighbouring areas move in to occupy them.
  • The dogs who escape the catching squads also continue to multiply, so the territorial vacuums are soon filled again.
  • Dog fights increase, since every time a new dog enters a territory he is attacked by the dogs already in the neighbourhood.
  • Dog fights continue to take place over mating.
  • Dog bites also increase, as during dog fights many humans get accidentally bitten.
  • Rabies continues to spread to humans, since none of the dogs is vaccinated.
  • Rabies continues to spread because the dog-catchers are reluctant to pick up a rabid dog – so only healthy dogs get killed.
As long as exposed garbage and slums continue to exist, dog-killing programmes cannot work. They only create an unstable, constantly changing, rapidly multiplying and rabies-carrying dog population.
In Mumbai in the late 1980s and early 1990s, there were about 50 human rabies deaths every year in spite of a large scale dog-killing programme. Government sources claim that over half of human rabies deaths are caused by unvaccinated pets, so the killing of strays had no impact on human rabies.
Old 9th February 2006, 16:38   #27
Senior - BHPian

For decades the Municipal Corporation of Mumbai used to kill up to 50,000 stray dogs annually. The method used was electrocution. In 1994, in response to demands made by our organisation and others, dog-killing was replaced by mass sterilisation and immunisation of stray dogs.Under this programme, stray dogs are surgically neutered and then replaced in their own area. They are also vaccinated against rabies.
  • Since territories are not left vacant, new dogs cannot enter.
  • Mating and breeding also cease.
  • With no mating or crossing of territories, dog fights reduce dramatically.
  • Since fighting reduces, bites to humans also become rare.
  • The dogs are immunised, so they do not spread rabies.
  • Over time, as the dogs die natural deaths, their numbers dwindle.
The dog population becomes stable, non-breeding, non-aggressive and rabies-free, and it gradually decreases over a period of time.

from www.wsdindia.org
Old 11th February 2006, 10:11   #28
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram
But you should hear the monologue:
Very entertaining. About a buffalo that was knocked unconscious by an ST bus and while the passengers got down and were engrossed in discussions, the bovine just got up and walked away, leaving everyone nonplused!!
PuLa aside, I am interested in knowing how you managed that devnagari script?
As in, it is text and not image.
Is that embedded font? TBHP supports that kya?
It's not TBHP! It's your browser and your version of Windows!

If you are running Windows 2000,
Devanagari support can be enabled from the 'Control Panel'. Go to 'Regional Options'.
Go to the 'General (Tab)'.
In the "Language settings for this system" frame, check the box next to "Indic".
The system may ask for your Windows 2000 CD, if it needs additional files.
Reboot your computer once the files have been installed.

Windows XP already has capabilities to render Devanagari and other Indian-language scripts.
If Devanagari script is not rendered by default on someone's computer, support can be enabled from the 'Control Panel'. Go to 'Regional and Language Options', click 'Languages' tab. Select the checkbox 'Install files for complex script....' and click 'Apply'.

Then again, you might just be one of the lucky TBHPians with the very latest
Windows Vista. This may be because one is a very tech aware person. But it may just be that one happened to buy a new laptop recently in the developed world. Windows Vista (once known as Longhorn) already supports: Bengali, Devanagari, Gujarati, Gurmukhi, Kannada, Malayalam, Oriya, Tamil and Telugu. And complex text support is automatically enabled.
Old 1st May 2009, 20:52   #29
Senior - BHPian

Glad I found this thread!
(Mods, if there is another thread that's more appropriate for my post,please do the needful).

The menace in this case,is more to do with dogs barking their heads off!

My folks live in Indiranagar ( B'lore). We have a moron (best way to describe the guy,IMO). He has two 60 x 40 plots, of which the one closer to our house is being used as a garden. They have two dogs, and these two are kept tied up to the wall right next to our house. Day & night, these dogs keep barking and the owners do nothing to calm them down. My folks have a tough time sleeping, thanks to the commotion!

My dad has tried talking to the moron numerous times, but in vain.

Is there any way this can be handled? We are animal lovers, so there's no way we'd want to harm the dogs.(I'd much rather put the moron in a pound!).

Please help!
Old 1st May 2009, 21:15   #30
BHPian

option 1 throw some meat laced with sleeping pills over the wall every night
option 2 park your car outside the morons house and blast some heavy metal music at 12 am
btw what happens when it rains does he let them get drenched or are they in a kennel
maybe you can complain to menaka gandhi and she may come and tie the moron to the compound wall
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks