Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2009, 21:21   #31
Senior - BHPian

One of my friends who used to work for CUPA said she'll send me some info of a vet who's dealt with such instances. Hoping to hear from her soon, so something can be done to end this nuisance.

My folks are here with me now,and they'r getting all the rest they need.But once they get back to B'lore,it gets really tough on them dealing with daily activities and then the lack of sleep due to these dogs.
I'm not sure what they do when it rains. I believe there's some sort of shelter for them.

I'm really looking forward to my trip this summer, so I can give that moron a piece of my mind.He's been nothing but a pain in the *** since the day we moved to the location.
Old 17th June 2011, 13:48   #32
BHPian

Re: Animal menace!

I understand that at times we all find it bit too much when we have to shell out $ because of these "stupid" dogs and cats, but where else would they go? How often have we seen logs limping on 3 legs and eke-ing out a living? The bottom-line is, dogs will be dogs - they will never wise-up to the concept of crossing the road safely. So it is up to us to be careful, if you still hit an animal - well, that is fate.

Have seen monkeys dead on the road umpteen times, even spotted a chital half dead during my last drive through Nagarahole & Wayanad. Who is to blame here? Us - naturally!
Old 17th June 2011, 16:34   #33
Senior - BHPian

I bumped into this thread by chance. Though the matter is 2+ years old, I couldn't help feeling amused at the predicament of your folks. Staying in USA you are complaining is all the more funny.

I have heard that you get battery operated ultrasonic sound emitter to drived away pests like roaches, rodents, birds etc., that are used by farmers there to shoo away animals who damage crops.

Some of these emitters come with hertz adjusting facility. Get one and give to you folks. Set the hertz to a level that is extremely uncomfortable to dogs and place it in your house pointing towards the plot. The bark will turn to a whine ad then silence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
Glad I found this thread!
(Mods, if there is another thread that's more appropriate for my post,please do the needful).

The menace in this case,is more to do with dogs barking their heads off!

My folks live in Indiranagar ( B'lore). We have a moron (best way to describe the guy,IMO). He has two 60 x 40 plots, of which the one closer to our house is being used as a garden. They have two dogs, and these two are kept tied up to the wall right next to our house. Day & night, these dogs keep barking and the owners do nothing to calm them down. My folks have a tough time sleeping, thanks to the commotion!

My dad has tried talking to the moron numerous times, but in vain.

Is there any way this can be handled? We are animal lovers, so there's no way we'd want to harm the dogs.(I'd much rather put the moron in a pound!).

Please help!
Old 18th July 2011, 10:11   #34
Team-BHP Support

A stray dog has adopted my porch.

What is the best way to get rid of this dog?

He is shedding a lot of hair and as the wind blows, the hair gets into my house.
He chews up the newspaper.

The dog looks old and very mangy.
Old 18th July 2011, 12:21   #35
Senior - BHPian

I would love to buy one of this, a idiotic neighbor who loves dog has given shelter to number of stray dogs out side his house and trust be its a riot at times with all of going off and this happens all the time, also few months back couple of them sneaked into our apartment parking lot and chewed some parts of bumper of my car and even others 2/4wheelers took the chewing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
I bumped into this thread by chance. Though the matter is 2+ years old, I couldn't help feeling amused at the predicament of your folks. Staying in USA you are complaining is all the more funny.

I have heard that you get battery operated ultrasonic sound emitter to drived away pests like roaches, rodents, birds etc., that are used by farmers there to shoo away animals who damage crops.

Some of these emitters come with hertz adjusting facility. Get one and give to you folks. Set the hertz to a level that is extremely uncomfortable to dogs and place it in your house pointing towards the plot. The bark will turn to a whine ad then silence.
Old 18th July 2011, 14:00   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Do you know where I can get one of these in Bangalore? I have a major problem with pigeons on my balcony. I have seen ultrasonic mosquito repellers in my neighbourhood supermarket, but I doubt these are powerful enough to deter dogs and birds.
Old 18th July 2011, 15:38   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post

He is shedding a lot of hair and as the wind blows, the hair gets into my house.

Option 1 : (Dog friendly option - recommended) Mostly he's taken up the place because of the rain. Possible for you to take up some effort and put some old jute sacks or clothes at another dry spot away from your porch? You could lead him away with some food. Stack something else at the place at your porch so that he doesn't take it up again. Generally works.

Option 2 : (Not recommended) Shoo him away. Use any means - shouting or a stick. Probably your servant would be able to do it faster. Haven't done this, so it is a trial and error method.
Old 18th July 2011, 22:28   #38
BANNED

Quote:

Find the local CUPA number and call them to take it away.

--Ragul
Old 19th July 2011, 11:52   #39
Senior - BHPian

Maybe these links would be of some help to you all:

http://www.personalarms.com/defense/...g_repeller.htm

http://www.bodysecurity.com/dogchaser.htm

http://www.bird-x.com/birdxpeller-pro-p-24.html
Old 19th July 2011, 15:59   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Keep your porch wet for a few days to let the dog know that it is not welcome there. The dog will find another dry and cosy place to rest.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2011, 17:15   #41
BHPian

I have a different issue with dogs. my 2 cars are parked in front of my house - on the road side (yes, road side). Somehow, one/few dogs that come strolling along with owners find the place convenient to poo. And I get to the car and the sight I see make me really annoyed. What can be done? Till date i haven't spotted one doing so (not caught red handed). But its a daily mess i have to deal with.
Old 19th July 2011, 17:41   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

For those who are suffering from dog menace try this option. May sound bit funny, however it works. Keep a glass bottle filled with water near the area dog frequents, It should scare it away. I know it sounds funny, I too felt the same the first time I heard it. Went ahead and gave it a try nonetheless and it was working.

Only later someone told that the logic being in night when dog sees the glass it gives a highly refracted and amplified image to its eyes of what all things/ light. I am not sure if it's true, however this was the way we got rid of the dog that used to and use our lawn as restroom.
mpksuhas is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 13:34   #43
Senior - BHPian

Apologies for bumping an ancient thread but could not find a better one that had relevance.

We live in a residential colony that was at one time the prime area in this city. Of late, the little birds have flown away and mostly it's senior citizens or houses that have been converted to offices, schools and such.

My 5yr old son's school is a five minute walk from my house and he loves to do the walk to school rather than taking the car.

So either my wife goes or i go and the sad part is that this area has a stray dog issue with a sizeable pack roaming around.

Now there's a tourist bus parked near the school and a few dogs have adopted the shade under the bus as their abode.

Twice, a dog has tried to attack my wife and thanks to people on road, school security she has not been bitten. She does carry a large unfurled umbrella just in case.

School has been informed and they said they will notify the local corporation officials and see what can be done.

With the recent spike in dog bites and deaths in the state, i am absolutely petrified about this situation. Any suggestions?
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 13:36   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post

With the recent spike in dog bites and deaths in the state, i am absolutely petrified about this situation. Any suggestions?
If there is an alternate route available, suggest you take that until the authorities act on the problem
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 15:25   #45
BHPian

Introducing a new animal in the thread.I have a lawn in my house. There are a couple of cats in our neighbourhood. They are not anyones pet but patronised by a lady neighbour. This cat has found a new found affinity to do her chores in my lawn. Don't know when she does it,mosy probably at night, because in the morning it is there in the lawn.
Any suggestions to change her habits.
inder is online now   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks